Another runner attacked

Just heard on the news that another poor peep has been attacked while running in a London park. See here for more details. She was stabbed and another runner, a doc, managed to help her before the ambulance arrived. I do hope she will be okay.

Comments

• Apparently the police think it was the same person who killed the runner - was it last year in St James' Park? - I run alone, I enjoy it and I feel that I don't want my enjoyment or freedom curtailed by the remote possibilty that someone may want to hurt me in any way. If running in the dark I always stick to well lit streets that are busy,as per advice.
    But then, a couple of years ago, when I returned to my car after shopping to find that my windscreen was smashed and my radio, briefcase, laptop etc was gone, noone was in the least bit interested, when I asked if anyone had seen anything, everyone just said 'no love' and got in their cars and drove off! So I wonder if anyone would help in such situations, or just look the other way and drive off!
    Can't see me changing though, working 9-5 means that I have to run in the dark in the winter.
    I just hope that lady is going to be ok.
  • The latest on the BBC site is that she is recovering in hospital after emergency surgery. Both victims were "small in stature" and the police are warning "joggers" (their words not mine) to be extra aware. I read one article where they were looking into similarities between these attacks and a similar one eleven years ago. They think it may be a guy who gets a kick out of stabbing and he may have started off on animals. It really is horrible. I'm hoping that the fact that the latest victim has survived she'll be able to give useful identification of the attacker. But sadly it was at 17:15 so would already have been quite dark.
  • Boing! Be careful out there girls!
  • yes, was woken up by this story on Radio 4 this morning - the Observer seems to have the most detailed article (have spent the last 4 hours going through all the weekend press for work, so I think I should know!).

For those who haven't seen the article:

39-year old local woman, running in Clissold Park, Stoke Newington at 5.15pm Friday (1.5miles from Margaret Muller's murder)

Large number of similarities:
    women of small stature
    running alone
    stabbed a number of times by a knife
    both parks have deer enclosures - element of cover and open landscape.

The identity of the woman hasn't been revealed, and she is still under sedation; very much hope that she will make a quick and full recovery.

Meanwhile - take care, everyone...
  • Snail... the deer are innocent..

This nutter has to be caught.. stay safe ladies!!
  • This is terrible really makes me worried, hporrible to have your freedom scared.

Might just stick to the tread mill now its dark, other than when with running group.
  • There's some really sick people about.

I despair sometimes!
  • Jacqui - I will continue to run on the busy streets of north London, but you're right. Horrible to have one's freedom impinged upon. Just hope they get the wretch before he (I'm assuming it's a he) does anyting else.
  • Its all been said above - be careful everybody and lets hope the b*****d gets caught before anybody else has to suffer.
  • Best wishes to the lady concerned. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and can give a good description of the scum who did this.

Please be careful out there everyone, but please don't be intimidated into staying indoors. The more law-abiding peeps there are on the streets (and lanes and trails etc) the harder it becomes for lowlife to operate. Take sensible precautions but don't let scum win!
  • Best wishes to the lady concerned.

Be safe ladies!!!!

• Sorry to be defeatist but I'm scared!! I know we can't let people like this run our lives but actually, I'm scared and I don't feel guilty about admitting it. I live and run alone in North London and I was too scared to run this morning. I'm not a woos, but I'm small and I don't like the thought of running and looking over my shoulder for someone with a knife. I ended up driving to where I work out of town and running there.

I HATE being scared and I'm SO angry at this person for spoiling my freedom to run on the Heath on a Winter Morning or through Ally Park where I live.

That poor girl - my heart goes out to her. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Exactly, Cathryn - in the past on here when similar stories have been flagged up I have been made to feel guilty/weak/stupid for feeling vulnerable.

Anger and determination are all very well, but I'm not fast enough to feel safe.
  • Me neither. The fact is that someone is stabbing women runners in North London and we have to deal with that. I'd be a darn sight more stupid for risking my safety to prove a point than for running elsewhere until they catch him. I just hope they catch him soon - or at all. I'm so angry about it.
  • I think most women feel the same way, Cathryn & Jj... I'm not tall or fast myself, and until now I've thought running through the deer enclosure of a London park was probably reasonably safe...

Having said that, last Tuesday morning I got increasingly scared in the park - to the point that I cut the run short, ran out to the nearest main road and went straight home. I think if you don't feel safe, then get out, if you do feel safe, carry on... you can only go on instinct, because there's not going to be a flashing neon sign saying 'Warning! Psycho alert' at the entrance to the park...

I think what's really worrying about this latest incident is that I would have considered the activity/timing/location about as safe as you could get - busy London park, 5.15pm - kids coming home from school, people leaving work etc. If you can't be safe at that time, what about those of us who run at 9pm or 5.30 in the morning?

• It's nice to know I'm not the only girl feeling like this. I didn't know the time/place details - the Times didn't cover it at all - and that's even more scarey!

I've cut runs through parks short due to a sense of 'foreboding' and felt STUPID but there's absolutely no point in risking yourself.

Think I'm sticking to roads for a while unless my 6"4 boyfriend is with me...

• Very disappointed by the Police/News headlines to this story which started with "Ladies, do not run alone" This seemed to be regardlesss of location,time of day etc. To encourage a culture of fear is something the police should be trying to avoid not create.

As Snail say's if you feel safe then keep running, if you don't then stop until you find a solution.

Safe Running
  • Cathryn, it's OK to feel scared (I wasn't trying to suggest that it wasn't and I apologise if that's how it came across), but you have done exactly what you ought to do- taken sensible precautions (changed the venue of your run) but still got out there. I think it is a brave and necessary thing to do; brave because you were scared but still did it and necessary because you showed that you won't have your life dictated by one insane person.

Just a thought...are 'regular' running routes a good idea? Should we all have, say, 10 routes and vary the times and days on which we run them?

(I write as 5'10" male of over 13st and thus probably fairly safe from this, er brave chap with the knife...)
  • What can I add, except my very best wishes to a woman who was so lucky that a running doctor was near enough to keep her alive, and my sincere wish that this nutter is caught as soon as possible.

A minor point though - can anyone persuade the media to stop calling it jogging? It's bad enough to feel like a potential victim, without the press belittling us in words as well.
  • I think that it's not a cuestion of time or place.
    Now that it is dark in the mornings when I run I am more aware of the danger and more carefull than when it's spring-summer season.
    It's not very nice to run like if you were in a war zone (that's how I feel by looking at my back all the time and avoiding anybody close to me by 10 meters at least!) But unfortunatelly we leave in a violent society.
    If somebody wants to attack you , will do it regardless of being dark, late, early, etc.
    So just be carefull always, everywhere.
  • No, CH - you didn't come across badly at all. I totally agree, but am just a bit freaked out.

I also agree about varying routes and times. Varying routes are good for interest's sake - but I know I have about 2 early morning routes because they feel/felt safe by myself. Will get some more now.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Crashiedarling, not you, of course!

There have been other *women* in the past who have made unfortunate and perhaps slightly insensitive remarks, that's all.

An' I'm tuff, I am!

honest
  • or hang around on the forum long enough, and then you'll find other people running in your area!

As an example, I've now run home from work with Ashley, Plum and Crafty, run in the park in the morning with SooBDoo and have a morning run planned this week with another forumite. All times/routes that I would not have wanted to run by myself...

Not sure, though, whether it would be considered such a great idea to meet some unknown bloke from the internet at 6am on a December morning!!! :-)

Anyway, the forum (and the generous prople on it) has certainly helped my training.
  • It doees make me feel part of a running community tho. I love that we can come here and yell about the a*sehole that's scaring us, where non-runners don't understand.

• I'm going to be slightly controversial here and recommend that they guys are careful as well.

After all, if someone has a knife then men are vulnerable too.
  • I just posted my feelings on this on URWFRC. After the jogger getting killed in Victoris Park I changed to running in Clissold Park. They are both very local to me. I'm very scared and to be honest I dont want to run again untill this nutter is caught.
  • MissP, could you join a club or find people to run with?

I would be scared too. I know it is bad that one nutter should ruin it for everyone but you have to be sensible about this.
  • Firstly, my sympathies to the woman who was attacked and I wish her a full recovery.

I'm really worried about this too. And can I just point out that this is the third (not second) attack by the same person (the police think). The first two, Margaret Muller and another, unidentified female runner, both occurred around 8/9-30ish in Victoria Park in Hackney (where I was running at lunchtimes!!). The police really think this guy has it in for female runners so please be careful!!

I've had to stop running for a few weeks cos of injury, but am hoping to start again soon, but won't be running on my own in Victoria Park until this person is caught. I feel really angry that I feel scared and have to change my behaviour but we DO have other options: running clubs, partners and treadmills, and I, for one, would rather be safe than sorry.
  • I think Victoria Park Harriers are the local club.

(I used to live just across the road but never went out with then) I am sure that if you can't make their formal sessions they may be able to put you in touch with others in the same situation