Options

Another runner attacked

Comments

• Options
    Graham - think DS meant'someone we actually know'...
  • Options
    the reclaim the parks thing isnt for the little inadequate waste of oxygen' s benefit - its is to empower people who are fed up with having their lives curtailed by the odd individual - and in letting people run/jog/walk together it will help to support and maybe form alliances that will solve some of the issues around running alone

running clubs arent the only answer - i walk and plod very slowly around my local golf course because iam frankly far too slow and uncommitted to join a running club and many people will share that experience

staying out of the parks and other spaces wont make this individual go away or help catch him -it will just make other runners suffer and why should they/we - runners/walkers who wish or need to run alone are not the criminals here so why should they be punished

but doing positive things to make the areas safer will allow people to go about their business and find solutions to fear

• Options
    It's a 'don't let the buggers get ya down' type thing that I for one, am whole heartedly behind.

It's educating for one thing.
  • Options
    maybe running with a baseball bat and being angry enough to use it might be a solution !!!

hand weights could make a nasty hole in someones face

but more seriously perhas local authorites should be putting on self defence /self preservation classes on for people who want to go about their lives unrestricted

why is always the people who may be victims of crime the ones who have to change and be inconconvenienced

why do we pander to the very very few who stop us from doing what we are legally entitled to when they do what they are not legally to do

im not going to start a feminist diatribe - but its mostly women who get twice punished by these people - by being the targets and then by having to change their behaviour when they are not the ones in the wrong
  • Options
    Snail, thanks, yes, i did mean is she a forumite, by one of us>
  • Options
    I knew that Snail (well done on Thanet btw) - but does that matter? Wrong person unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - there but for the grace of God and all that?

It's a shocking thing to have happened to any one - the fact that it's a second runner to be attacked in this way brings it closer to home. We should regard this as an attack against ALL runners.

Don't think I can add to what's already been expressed - anger, fear, outrage. Even after they've caught the lowlife responsible for these attacks the fact that things like this can (and sadly do) happen will have all except the most oblivious of us looking over our shoulders. What a sad sad world we sometimes live in.

• Options
    Chimp. I didn't mean that leaving a note will stop us from being attacked, just that it might help the police afterwards, should it be necessary.

On a practical note I can't be the only person who lives alone, and it isn't always possible to tell someone where or when I am going out, or to run with someone else.

GDL, I think someone else has mentioned that this is the third woman to be attacked by this man. I remember reading about a second woman being approached, but I think she got away. Let's hope this is the last.
  • Options
    Maybe the Met might have to take a few officers off speed camera duty for a while and do a few beats around these parks.

When they catch this little sh1t then have him lie across the finish line @ FLM so 33,000 pairs of feet can tell him how the running community feels about him!
  • Options
    I think one thing all runners can do is be more aware of their surroundings. Its amazing the things you see on your runs if you keep your wits about you.

This has been a shocking event and whilst it is not made any less so by the fact that the same attacker appears to be responsible for both of the most recent attacks the chances are someone will have seen the attacker before the assault took place.

This current fear will only be lifted when the man (and I suppose we must assume it IS a man) is caught so lets all keep our eyes open and if we see something not quite right, tell someone: a park-keeper, a policeman, anyone. Also if someone is making you uncomfortable, warn other people, be they runners, walkers, whoever.

This forum already seems to be a large family, especially the London contingent. Extend that family. Be a nosy bugger because dollars to doughnuts, this fellow will be caught because someone sees something suspicious and reports it.

Snail, I still go back to the point that this fellow seems to attack from behind. In the circumstances, a Kalshnikov might not be any use, let alone a knife.

A further problem with carrying knives (and other deterrents) is that you are tempted to go into areas where common-sense probably tells you to stay away from.

A final problem of couse is that if you get pulled by the police, you'll be well in the klarts, though hopefully London police would be more sympathetic in the circs.
  • Options
    I really hope the lady concerned in the London attack can give the police a good description of the attacker. I also hope she gets better soon and that she is able to face running again after such a horrific attack, and that she is offered counselling to help her.

I will not run on my own as I have to pass areas where I do not feel comfortable running (ie shrubs and underpasses). I usually run with friends or my husband but this does make running sporadic as we all have such different jobs, however I really do not want to join a club.

It is a shame that we are having to do things like this because of some perverts who like to pray on others!
  • Options
    I'd like to wish the lady a quick recovery.

I'm a faster runner so have little to worry about but both my mum & sister run so I'm please when they run where it's safe. I've female friends that run too.

This forum is excellent for getting people together so they can run in safty.
    I'm happy to do my bit by running with others. It's possible for me to do a recovery run with friends so they can enjoy the sport too.
    So we can all help each other to run safer.

Snail, really pleased you don't carry that knife when we train together :-)

Be safe!
  • Options
    Chimp - it doesn't give me confidence to go into areas that I wouldn't go into anyway. I'm not going out looking for trouble, believe it or not. And I don't really think I'm the kind of person the police would stop and search - the last time they stopped me was to ask if I'd seen the bloke who'd threatened my neighbour with a gun as she unloaded the shopping from her car. Yes, i know that should anything happen, they'd probably question why I was carrying a knife (it's only a large penknife, btw, not exactly a butcher's knife, but it would do more damage than my fist alone) - but if they got round to questioning me, by definition I would have survived and therefore would have been justified. Anyway, I'd argue that I was carrying the knife because I'm a girly, and I needed the tweezers on it. Or something...

My running club is excellent about making sure everyone is safe (in fact, there have been emails today on this very topic, asking the guys to make sure that all female runners are safe, etc - though in my experience, they don't need to be asked).

BT - how do you know for sure that I don't?!? ;-)
  • Options
    I'll keep my distance then!

About 5 metres behind!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have to say Snail I'd rather think that if attacked then the attacker might overpower you and use your own weapon on you. For that reason I don't think I'd carry a knife, but if I lived in a high risk area I'd think of taking self defence classes, even martial arts!
  • Options
    Haven't read the entire thread so apologies if someone's said this already.

I carry a can of deep heat in my hand whilst running - just incase! Never had to use it but guess it would hurt eyes if sprayed in them!
  • Options
    hilly, that's what I used to think, but having been attacked by a bloke with a knife, I'd rather have something to fight back with... I was rather scared last time and the guy didn't take much notice of my fists.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I just pray none of us ever have to get into a situation where we have to fight back!

Keep as safe as you can out there runners!!
  • Options
    I used to carry a kniffe as well, I also done a lot of martial arts, jujitsu, but still don't feel safe.
    I don't carry a niffe any more because I though that if I carry one I must be able to use it and I am not too sure if I could use it. One thing is to punch somebody (which I had to do once) but another is to stab..
    Otherwise it can be turned against you.
    The best defence is to avoid dodgy areas, run where you can see openly if somebody is approaching you at least from 20 meters.
    I wish I could listen to music and relax but no, unfortunatelly I live in London.
  • Options
    I'm feeling unsafe now! What with lady runners carrying knives and trained in martial arts!

As for people running with personal stereos, espically women, I want to stop them and point out the obvious dangers but then they would just think I was a werido and attack me.
  • Options
    didn't mean to scare you! unfortunatelly I live in an area with a very high percentage of crime in London and the place I run is quite lonely, there is no other runners. But I don't carry the kniffe eh!
    I don't like running machines.
    sorry for my spelling though

• Options
    That's okay you didn't really.

What part of London do you live? (Not to much detail) I'm sure there will be some fellow runners nearby, just have to turn over a few stones first!
  • Options
    Sorry if its already been mentioned but haven't time to read the whole thread.

The police usually advise women to carry a samll can of hairspray that can be sprayed in to the eyes of an attacker.

Only problem is where exactly to put it if you are already carrying a water bottle in one hand and a personal alarm in the other!
  • Options
    I am going to get an utility belt , I have a torch I carry with me, it could be handy to point it at somebody's eyes.
    I live in Brent.
  • Options
    What do people think the chances are of catching this guy? I was thinking about it a lot while I was running (obviously!) and it seems impossible. They haven't caught anyone for the Margaret Muller murder in February and that park was fairly busy at the time so presumably they've exhausted all the possible eye winesses. Someone would have had to see him do it and be able to ID him again, and they'd still have to find him first. There won't be any forensic evidence because he never took the women to his house or car and has had ample time to destroy any clothes he was wearing by now. I just don't see how the police can get anywhere with such a random attack.

Or am I being too pessimistic? Is there hope?
  • Options
    I was thinking the same. Surely this second attack may bring up leads that weren't available when they killed Margaret Muller -maybe there'll be one thing that catches him out.

Forensically, they can do AMAZING stuff. Maybe he touched her clothing? Maybe they can tell stuff from dagger wounds...I don't know, but we can't give up hope, or morning runs on the Heath are a thing of the past!!!

Just wonder how the lady is...
  • Options
    Ratcatcher - I see your point but do think you are being overly pessimistic. I'm no expert but I would have thought that anybody committing a stabbing would be covered in the victim's blood; this may have been observed by somebody. Similarly, the attacker is likely to have left the scene in a hurry; again observable. Yes clothing and weapon could well have been disposed of by now but may still turn up by chance. The most likely source of information, however, will be the attacker himself. Yes, he'll be careful but sooner or later he will say something to the wrong person (in his eyes) or do something to arouse suspicion.

I accept that there's a bit of straw clutching in the above, and that I've probably seen too many Crimewatch reconstructions to be truly objective, but I believe that we have to stay positive and keep hope. Otherwise, we may as well give up altogether.
  • Options
    Elsa

Your right there does appear to be a lack of running clubs in your area, nearest would be Queens Park Harriers in NW10 but dont know if they are still going, I'm sure someone can let us know. Otherwise it would mean looking for a club further out such as Metros who are based around Harrow/Greenford.

Of course there maybe a few fellow forumites in or near your area?

A Utility or bum bag as they use to be known would be a good idea, would suggest takiing a mob phone if that's the case.
  • Options
    Snail, I generally carry a knife all the time too nowadays, running or not. Swiss Army knife. Blade (less than 3" long) open, knife flat in my pocket when I'm out at night, ready for use if need be.

I have got into about 5 or 6 fights or other "situations" in recent years without me doing anything very much to cause or provoke them, and I am long past the point where I believe there will be a policeman or anyone else around to help me when I need someone. I consider I have a right to defend myself and to carry the means to do so.

Wise people nowadays should consider carrying their own effective protection, in my opinion, for use by way of self-defence. Not to be used unless you have to, but at least then it's on your person if you need it, not on a shelf back home where it's useless when trouble comes.

• Options
    Snail, My cation about carrying a knife would be one other than the legal side. In a situation it is possible that you would hesitate before using it, as you probably aren't a psycho!! This could be the disasterous. Instead, a simple weapon is an item called a kobutan, available from www.playwell.co.uk, (look under key rings, in the webstore)to whom I have no connection, and is available in metal, or more innocently looking, in plastic. I would hesitate to knife, but would have no problem in using the kobutan.
    Self defense classes can be more trouble than they are worth, I train for 6+ hours a week in a particularly obnoxious martial art, and still feel I would rather avoid a fight. On that note, I would agree with chimp, that no protection method should allow your judgment to be clouded as to were is safe. The old saying is 'The best victory is the battle never faught'
  • Options
    Should have said the kobutan is about three inches long, and 1/2 in thick, and can be used to jab into somebody, or simply to help make a harder fist (especially useful for ladies with long fingernails)
    Also practice how you would use it with a friend, and make sure you have it easily to hand.