smoking and running

Comments

• I started a thread at Easter about the same thing and have not smoked since. The Allen Carr book was good but I needed about 5 attempts before managing to go longer than 2 months without smoking. The support from people on the thread was crucial and I signed up for a Run For Life race to give me something to aim for. I ordered RFL T-shirts for my daughters and thought 'how can I smoke if they're wearing them ? !!' Running was the key for me in the end but I had been trying and failing for a couple of years to give up. Take it one day at a time or even one craving at a time at the beginning. Thank you to all the people who supported me when I started my thread.Good luck lady and keep posting threads about how you're getting on !!
  • Lady, I reckon you will end up giving it up naturally as you run. I was an addict too....to food! Having managed to lose weight in 2001 I wanted to keep it off (three other times I had lost between 2-4 stone and put more back on again) so I started running. It such fun, and addictive I want to do it more, and also improve my times and the way I feel when I run. Thats helped by a good diet, decent weight range and sensible quantities. I have become conditioned and find I don't want food in the same way as I used to.

Hopefully you will give up long before but when you are running think how much better you will feel running without smoking. Eventually our brains get the message!

Good luck and welcome to a whole new world...
  • Alan Carr's book is in WH Smith for 7.99
  • TostakyTostaky ✭✭✭
    Dont buy any more fags. Even if you go out and you KNOW you are going to crave cigarettes... What will happen.. You will have to ask your riends/strangers to give you some, then you will start to feel guilty to always ask for fags.. Then one day you will tell them to help you stop smoking and not to offer you anymore fags even if you beg them to and offer them money/drinks etc...
    Its normal to relapse sometimes and buy a packet (of 10, not 20!!) so dont beat yourself up. Good luck!
  • It's gonna sound harsh people,but you either smoke,or you don't.Whilst this sounds like a gross over-simplification,most smokers try to fool themselves by saying things like"I'm cutting down"or suchthelike.

From the day I stopped over 12 years ago(and there's nothing worse than a born again non-smoker)when anyone offers me one,I simply say"I don't smoke" rather than"I'm trying to give up"or similar.If you say you're giving up,it leads rise to speculation you may one day start again,wheras if you are simply a non smoker then no-one need know you smoked in the first place.

The other thing is that smokers don't want other smokers to quit in a funny sort of way(the social co-dependancy thing).Next time a pal offers you a fag and you say you're trying to stop yet they still insist.....take it,then snap it in half in front of them.After a while they'll stop offering you cigarettes,trust me.

Just my 20 pence.Hope it helps,and good luck.

Lovejoy.

www.justgiving.com/Lovejoy

"Sex is a private thing. It should between you and the person you're doing it to."
    Martin Crane-1993"Frasier"
  • Allen Carr's Book 'Easy Way' - it does just what it says on the cover. Essentially the trick is never to light another fag and laugh at anyone that does. 'Smoking is like banging your head against a wall - the relief comes when you stop'
  • Lady, I gave up smoking 30 years ago after several attempts. I picked a date to give up, (about 4 weeks ahead) and convinced myself that that was when I would become an ex smoker. I didn't tell anyone of my intentions and when the chosen date arrived I started the day with no cigarettes available to me and went from there. If anyone offered me a cigarette I said that I didn't smoke and before long it was true. You really have to want to give up. Don't say to yourself that you are trying to give up. Just be a non smoker. Giving up was one of the best things I have ever done. Good luck.
  • Stop day tomorrow for me (again!)

Got a throat like sandpaper, and am missing certain good things in life eg tasting food properly. Tasting wine properly. And I want to run further and longer.

there, I've said it now. got to do it
  • any ex smoker (like me 40+ a day) will tell you, it aint easy, we all know the feeling, the voice that says "just one more it'll be o.k. you can stop after one more" thing is one more leads to one more etc... try anything other than smoking that one cigarette (I used nicotine gum and it worked well "for me") but the craving dosn't last forever it does pass. and althought every part of your body is telling you how wrong it feels not to smoke, you must remind yourself that one more leads to ...... try try try again after a few weeks you start to appriciate not smoking and the cravings slowly go then one day you wont even think about it, keep trying and dont listen to youre brain lying too you and you will get there. Good Luck
  • It's the spinny head and confusion that always gets me. but I can't live like this any longer so a few days of spinny head should be fairly easy to cope with.

I'm going to keep a diary this time so everytime i think of one, i'll write it down and write a "why not to" next to it

thanks for the good lucks - I really want to do it this time!
  • As a newbie, started running properly (ie for more than 25 yards) about a month ago, last had a fag 3 weeks ago today using patches. I can just about manage 2.5 miles with a couple of 15 second breaks now at about 6mph with heart going around 180.

No I dont feel any better, I still hate exercise, I want a fag, my lung function was recently tested at 120% of expected. Am 42 and a smoker of nearly thirty years averaging 20 a day.

I've now had to stop running beacause I have been hit with quittitus (that series of viral illnesses that seem to plague just stopped smokers).

However, this is now raising the stubborn streak in me (we all have one). I WILL do that 10K one day and I have mentally dissassociated smoking with running, they do not go together.

So far, it seems to be working.

If you want to go cold turkey, do it with a hangover.

Good luck
  • absolutely right dustboy

I was out last night and burnt a shedload of fags watching the footie in the pub. I could'nt face lighting up now even if you paid me.

the other thing I just did is put on the heart rate monitor. I don't smoke on the weekends (don't ask) and on sunday nights my resting rate is 48 - 50 bpm. now, over 12 hours since I last had a ciggie, the rate is in excess of 80 bpm. and the barking thing is, I'm a healthcare worker.

SO glad I found this thread. I am now going to say, I am a non-smoker, have been for 12 hours and hopefully will be forever.

Good luck all...

PS that said, when you draw your pension and buy an annuity, make sure you tell them you DO smoke though. . .
  • 21 hours 41 mins

Why tell them you smoke?
  • Havn't read back but Alan Carr helped me after about 6 reads and 6 months build up. But once I made the decision I found it easy. in fact I feel guilty sometimes about how easy it was. Mind you I gave up the day after a wedding and I worked out I smoked @100 from 7.30am till 5.30am so combined with the hangover I felt like a big pile of poo! Don't ever crave one now either and I certainly wouldn't be able to run if I still smoked
  • pension companies used to work out annuities based on how long you are going to live. if you and i have the same amount of cash in our pension pots but on the same day i retire at 65 and you retire at 50, I get more monthly pension cos I should live for a shorter time. your cash has to spread out for a few more years.

and if i am 65, on 300 filterless gauloise a day, the life expectancy is pretty short, hence an increase in the pension. its not as important as the interest rate conditions prevailing at the time, but its the one time when being a smoker can be a positive thing...
  • And if you exceed their estimated life expectancy do they keep on paying out?
  • Youve got to really want to stop,find someone to give up with as bloke it came as a competition for me, become super pious start calling yourself a non smoker not an ex-smoker and stick with it good luck
  • they certainly do carry on paying out. but they do some seriously detailed maths to make sure that they are normally right (same as life insurers, car insurers etc etc).

the people who do that kind of mathematical analysis are normally exceptionally well paid, mathematically brilliant but sadly rather dull. And often called Clive.
  • Aha, a cunning plan then Beer Gut.

so I should tell them I'm a 70 year old obese male who drinks 20 pints a day and smokes. Ok, got it.
  • thats the plan. sure you'd get even more if you admitted to regular joyriding, consistent abuse of industrial quantities of recreational narcotics, a total lack of morals, and sharing a flat with keith richards. but coping with all that at 70 might be tricky - the day would be so busy you would'nt have time to stand in the middle of supermarket aisles complaining about things.

ho hum, 16 hours ish without a snout. can't say I am missing them yet. hows everyone else getting on ?
  • Just a small tip my friend of expanded frontage and to anyone else trying to stop.

You can go quite a long time without, say a day, after a hangover and then the craving hits. You start again. Just one. Etc

Although substantially unpublicised, (my local cardiologist dept didn't know), assistance, both financial and mental, in giving up smoking is available on the NHS. Talk to your GPs smoking clinic.

Patches are 16 quid a week privately. Last Saturday, I collected four packets (four weeks) on prescription, just over six quid the lot.

So far the difference has funded a new pair of Reebok Premier Roads, Ronhill gloves and a natty little water bottle from sweatshop.

And what the patches do to your head....... back to the sixties man, a 15 mg patch is the equivalent nicotine blast of 150 of my old cigarettes in a day. Oh look, there's a fire engine climbing up our lightning conductor dude!
  • Patches made me hurl. it was awful.

so far so good - going down the pub tonight so should look really funny with my inhalator (although to be fair I am using one sixth of the recommended dose which is possibly why i had a temper tantrum last night)
  • Yeah, I smashed the remote against the wall the other night when I spilt a drink. Seem to be permanently just bubbling under.

Just a suggestion. I suggested to the quack that I did not need the full strength patches. I am glad she overruled me. You may find that your efforts are more successful if you go closer to the recommended dose.

Now on the equivalent of 100 fags a day.
  • Patches gave me nightmares, reduced me to less than an hours sleep a night and sent my blood pressure so high my gp said i was better off smoking!

All the time you are using patches you are still dependent on something. Give the crutch up - the physical withdrawal symptoms are tiny - you need to fight the psychological demons and you can't do that while you are still using a replacement of any sort.

I know its been said before but can I suggest Allen Carr?

Good luck to you all
    M xx
  • M agree with you entirely.

I just know my weak spot comes down the pub after about half a glass of something, so I have the "it's there if I need it" inhalator.

The temper tantrum was horribly spectacular though. Reduced me to giggles!

Oh yeah - that's my top tip. If it feels like youa re going to explode, go for having a paddy in the most comical fashion you can - you end up laughing as does the person who is witnessing the rant. and they say laughter is the best medicine...
  • was never a fan of patches. they seem to work best for people who smoke evenly throughout the day rather than my brand of binge-smoking. inhalators quite good though.

but for me (and I know I look like a muppet with a bra-strap like structure around my chest), I have just strapped on the heart rate monitor this morning. The fact that I can actually SEE the benefit of not smoking in a lower flashing number somehow works for me. going to avoid the pub for a couple of days though - most of my friends smoke.

oh and DB - the smokers clinics are a great idea, but sadly highly discriminatory against those of us with lisps. Pretend you've got one, and then try saying "East London Smoking Cessation Services". its hardly fair, innit ?
  • Try having a fag whilst you are running, in fact why not stop half way round for a beer as well?

Seriously though, stopping smoking is very, very difficult. The thing I can say from personal experience is that smoking makes you feel like crap, stopping has untold health benefits.

I feel like a different person since I stopped. Just keep at it and try your best.
  • 305 days since I last had a fag after over 30 years of the weed.

Did the patch thing for about two weeks then went cold turkey, it was worst down the pub and sitting behind the wheel on long journeys, for the second L just made sure I had no fags around me for the first I just suffered.

I am still not clear of the cr*p and stuff in my lungs and have had a bad year for coughs colds chest infections etc.

running times have gone to the proverbial place in a basket but I am now finally turning the corner and feeling the benefit.

it is a long road but hopefully worth the effort in the end.