smoking and running

Comments

• yurima

focus on the fact that when you weren't smoking you didn't think about it. you didn't spend your life craving a cigarette. to get back to that all you have to do is stop. you don't want them. you certainly don't need them. they are physically not all that addictive and the physical cravings are virtually unnoticeable.

so stop. and in no time you'll be back to being a non-smoker again.
  • and if that doesn't work try allen carr.
  • yurima,
    unlucky. sounds an all to familiar story.

The main thing to remember is you may stuff up once, and you may even stuff up many more times, but you have to never quit quitting.

I have quit for about 10 years, and still have the odd relapse like that. You've done really well to go 2 years without a fag, and by every time you stuff up you get a bit more wise as to how it happens (ie going to the pub, out for dinner etc). If you crack, quit again as soon as possible, and dont worry it happens.

Good luck

• Hi all

I have been stopped for 14 weeks this time. It has been so easy so far - not one craving (touch wood and all that). Used Zyban and it really does alter summat in the brain so that you feel like I presume a non-smoker feels.
  • I smoke to much this i know but I dont want to give up, I enjoy it to much. This may sound bad to some people but its what I call my sanity stick. I find if I don't smoke for 2 hours before a run and an 1 hour after I seem to do ok. I've done 3 bupa runs 10k's and a 10k at east kilbride. I train 3 sometimes 4 times a week, average 48 to 49 mins for a 10k run and enjoy it.
  • Smoketoomuch,

i understand completely where you are coming from. i think it is your choice on that level what you do. i miss some of my cigarettes a great deal still. but i alos know that becasue i can't just have the ones I miss i have to stay off them for good.

9 and a half weeks without one, and i feel ok really. t's just the psychological bit i have trouble with from time to time.

i told myself i could take it upa gain when i really had nothing left to live for - so that should be when I'm about 130ish I suppose!
  • Freeme - i did read it. twice. agreed with him totally but it didn't sort me out.

don't get me wrong, I'd rather miss the odd one then smoke again, and I know I am much better off without them and i really don't want to go back there.

It's just the ironing obsession i have to deal with now :o)
  • freeme and puff good luck to you both hope you dont start again, but if ironing is the price to pay for giving up, i think i'll keep smoking .lol
  • im trying to quit too! and smoking WHILE running...well when stopping for a break, i smoke..i think i just get bored, really...but this is an excellent website...
    www.whyquit.com

my gp says the actual addiction only lasts for 3 days! and cravings, (according to the site) last only 3 mins..so if you can wait 3 minutes, you won:t crave a cigarette...lasting 3 days, and you can actually physically quit!
  • I quit 11 days ago using Allen Carr's book and have found it relatively easy compared to my previous attempts. No mad cravings or withdrawals. Read the book, put the fags etc in the bin and got on with life.

That does make it sound easy but it actually was!!!

• I have tried Allen Carr, NHS cessation classes, patches - you name it and they all failed - but the only thing that worked was hypnotherapy - I havent smoked in 6 weeks and I dont even think about them anymore!
  • It been a week i havent smoked. I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day for the past 4 years. I love smoking and smoking is the best thing in the world. But I love running too.

When i get the smoking urge after a nice dinner.. I put on my shoes and run like a mad guy in the midnight. It seems to work.. I wish it works all through till the end of my life.

So...the bottom like is running should amplify the bad effects of smoking... and can ring a bell for quitting smoking.. No one wants to smoke after a two mile hard fast run right
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    6 1/2 weeks and still going strong, but this is the 6th time i have tried to quit, but at 35 y/o and 22 years of smoking how much damage has it done.

well today i managed 8 miles undulating in 30 seconds less than 1 hour, not bad concidering that 6 weeks ago i managed 1 1/2 miles and coughed and coughed.

i had to quit as the N.H.S. is now totally smoking free and you have to go off site for a fag, and if i was incharge of the place where i worked, then i could not do it. so i looked at a 1/2 marathon at blackpool in february and decided to enter, with a view of running it under 2 hours.

so hopfully SOD THE FAGS, but i still fancy one every now and then.

fags are nice but they are not good for the lungs. my peak flow has increased by over 100 since quitting.

i just hope i can stay quit. but if i can do it, mr no will power himself, so can anyone, just believe you can do it.
  • Love the whyquit site ire toor, the stories of people who have died from cigarettes has made me want to stop again.
  • I decided to run the London Marathon in order to give up - bit drastic maybe but it worked for me. Ensured I didn't gain weight, kept me motivated and as I wasn't drinking as much either that helped. People sponsored me both for the marathon and for giving up smoking so I raised a lot of money too. I ended up running it in 4:57, had a great day and haven't smoked since 31/12/06. Good luck!
  • Derek -read this free E book. It is Allen Carrish in approach but gives something extra IMHO. Anyway -sometimes it takes an Allen Carr clinic to do it. Mine cost £230 and 3 sessions. However if you fail to quit you get your money back. Scare stories make you think deeply but the real problem is "why you smoke" not why you shouldn't.

good luck on your attempt.
  • I'll tell you what's doing me - I read somewhere re: running that giving up smoking improves your performance.

Now I don't smoke - surely in order to give it up, I'd have to start first?

I can't go through all that... the expense for one is a pain... and then would I actually have the willpower to give up?

Ah s*d it... I'll just have to keep plodding on!

:D

N.
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    hey i did the blackpool half, and around 1.45 without walking.

• well done xt:O)))) -great achievement.

if you are under the illusion that fags are still good -read the link I gave -you'll realise they never ever were;O)
  • IMHO -the difference between stopping via the Carrite method and stopping via the Willpower method, is that the former is like a trained runner doing the flm and the latter is like a relatively untrained runner dragging a boulder 'round the 26 miles - a lot harder.

Some manage with willpower but it appears so much like hard work(and they tend to mope years after). Nevertheless I admire willpower stoppers for their grit, though they are always vulnerable to start again.
  • Try Paul Mcenna's stop smoking for good dvd it used it three years ago and have not smoked since not even one. You can find it on ebay quite cheap. I cannot reccomend it enough !
  • some of his techniques are very good -glad it worked for you Dolph:O)
  • Just came across this thread, and have found it very motivational.

I am on day 13 of my non smoker lifestyle, and am using the patches and a one to one weekly session at my local pharmacy. I have found it easy so far, but the difference this time is my mindset.

In july, I watched my mum die from COPD. I continued to smoke, but one day when I was putting flowers on her grave, I thought I'd give it one more try. Her death would have been in vain if I continued down the exact path she went down. It had a profound effect on both me and my husband, so we have both quit. On the odd occassion I do find myself looking at the clock thinking 'I'd ususally have a fag now', I think of my mum.

My running times have improved, and I enjoy them far more because I know I am improving my health. I am at last in control of my addiction, and i'm loving it. I've bought myself small treats with my saved money and feel better than I have done in a very long time.

In essence, if you want to stop, you really have to want to stop!

• I WANT TO STOP.

Problem is I smoke 4 cigarettes a day and i just can't seem to kick them in to touch.

People say if you have got it down to four it must be easier for you, but it 's not ,because I really enjoy those 4.