smoking and running

Comments

• Good day again today.

Day 23 tomorrow and still going strong.

I've just entered a 5K on the October on the back of todays efforts. Managed 2 miles in 22:14 which is unheard of for me, and non stop too. This not smoking lark has had a huge impact on my running. Training plan has a 3 mile run next saturday, so should be ok for that too!

Hooray!

• Bimblenbelle (oops been on the sauce), Stay wih it, that's 11.07 miling, you will be sub 10 soon. And then yu know you can sub hour for a 10K. I'll be watching!image

• Thanks Dustboy!

How exciting would that be! Previous efforts have seen me 13 minute miling, so to be able to to something near 11 mins is HUGE for me! image

• Day 27 off the fags, and still going strong!

Two weeks into sticking to my training plan.....and still going strong!! Had a fairly carp run without the dog last night, but it did include a long hill half way through. Ended up back to almost 13 minute miling, but stayed steadily slow all the way without walking.(It's difficult to find anywhere near me without a blimmin hill as I live at the top of one).

Lungs are feeling bigger now if that makes any sense, and have sent off postal entry for another 5K. I seem to have come across a whole pile of 'sticking to the plan' with other things in my life too, which I have never been able to do before. I've even managed to get my allotment sorted, and plan onion sets out today! I think it's the fact I feel in control of everything (apart from my diet which is still a mute point!)

Happy days image

• Just sticking my head in.  Well done Bimblebelle on being a non-smoker.

It's great that you're feeling fitter too.

If your allotment is coming along so nicely, the diet will soon follow, especially if smoking made your tastebuds useless.

• Hey well done!

I am now 15 days and understand exactly where you're coming from.. it's great isn't it?! image

• Thanks Grast girl, hopefully all that home grown veg will be put towards a nice organic diet!

SR....well done you! Are you following Alan Carr?? Time to treat yourself to something nice for doing so brilliantly! image

• yeah the Allen Carr did it for me.. I feel like I am treating myself every day at the moment though.. food tastes so great and so does wine and beer and I am able to get really fit again and I have essentially given myself a 5k a year raise so I don't really feel the need to treat myself any further! lol
  • That's really true.....hadn't thought of it like that!

I've always been one to pick up a bargain, and 'make do' with what I've got. I've promised myself a few really nice bits that normally I wouldn't have splashed out on before. All my money is in a pot waiting for me to spend which is great.

Keep posting on here SR, and let us know how you're getting on.

• Thats a big 10-4, smokeless buddy! image

• Am on day 32 today, but weather here is dreadful. I'm too cold to even contemplate putting my trainers on, so have sat and read my RW mag with a cup of tea and a slice of home made ginger cake!

I made some lovely butternut squash and coconut soup at lunchtime....very warming but I have no idea about the nutritional value.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better weather.

• day 32 is great! I had a couple of cravings in the last couple of days but on non running days I am keeping busy with press-ups and chin ups.. and reading and writing about running! And eating well and well... drinking lots of wine! image
  • Hey lady, how are you doing with this btw?
  • Congrats go to all . . . been there, I know how hard it is.  Keep it up image

BB - My evening yesterday was much the same as yours!!  Was fed up that despite breaking my neck to get home to squeeze in the usual run - the weather worsened considerably and somebody switched the lights out!!!  I hate going on the treadmill at the gym - so consoled myself with a cuppa and reading my RW mag.  Trouble is, come Thursday when I am due to go out again . . . image

• Day 57 and still fag free. Running much improved and times are starting to come down image.
  • Very good Bimblebell!

I'm still off them too and loving it. Haven't run in two weeks though - house move/work/flu/blah blah

but it was great to have the flu and not feel the compulsion to smoke while suffering a sore throat and pollute my lungs! Didn't suffer half as bad as I used to image

• Day 71, and can say I think I've cracked it. I am a non smoker imageimageimageimage

Am on injury bench though with bad calf strain....grrrrrrrrrr!

• mmm. I smoked a few cigs last weekend when I was really drunk off my face. Haven't wanted to since though - do I still qualify as a non-smoker? Well I will when I apply for a new Life Assurance quote next year!
  • I used to smoke on and off. My willpower collapsed when I was with other smokers; I did not smoke on my own. Now I am with someone who smokes. We've had a couple of years of constant crisis, and now we're each smoking 20+ a day, starting as soon as we get up. I'm not sure he will be able to stop because he has other issues he needs to deal with first.

This afternoon, I made the decision to stop. I'm finding it difficult already when he lights up in front of me.

Hints and encouragement will be much appreciated. Leaving my beloved is not an option, however!  image

• I think a drunken fumble with a rogue ciggy does not count as going back to them CR. I'd still consider you to be a non smoker. image

Tehuti..... i have found it much easier than I thought, but my other half gave up too. We have had a shite year with lots of problems (redundancy after 29 years, death of my mum, father being ill, medical problems etc), but we really wanted to give up which is the main thing. We both used patches and a smoking cessation counsellor which I would recommend highly. They see you once a week for the first month, and then alternate weeks. They are hugely supportive.

You can do it if you really want to....good luck xx

• I quit smoking earlier this year, can't remember exactly when? Feb/March. I just seem to have completely erased that part of my life. Running has been a HUGE factor in quitting, as have my family. The feeling i get from finishing a run now with my clean lungs is great!

To quit, i started making myself wait for a ciggy. Not until after team, or a run, or until we arrived somewhere in the car. Unfortunately, cutting back made me enjoy my cigarettes even more when i did get to roll up. So i made the decision to just quit! No patches, no cutting down, no NHS smoking clinic (although first time i quit this was very helpful). Just will power! You CAN do it!

• I'm finding the www.whyquit.com site a huge help. When the other half lights up and I feel like screaming from deprivation, I go on there and watch a video or read an article.

Krys - Free and Healing for 23 Hours and 3 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 19 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £5.00.

• Congrats all. I stoppped in March too. Just remember the first day is the hardest, then the second, then the third an it genuinely gets easier and easier. Even in the medium-term it takes more will power to continue smoking than not. If there was a whycarryonsmoking.com it wouldn't have very much content. Although Allan Carr's methodlogy is great, I used Champix also which helped a lot with the withdrawl.
  • day 78 and not a fag in sight image

Have been injured for past 2 weeks, so am off for a gentle one mile today, and if all ok will attempt long run tomorrow!

• I smoked on and off (mainly on) for 16 years and finally quit on January 1st this year. I have quite a few times before, once for 1.5 years but this time it's for good. I wont lie to you - it's not easy but you can do it. I didnt go out to pubs much and explained to my smoking friends that I may see a little less of them until I'd sorted it out. Exercising definitely helps as you can see feel yourself getting fitter and also it acts a great stress release.

I did read some of Alan Carrs book but had already stopped so not sure if it helped or not!  I cant really cope with the smell of it now, my partner smokes which is unfortunate but i want her to want to quit rather than because i've nagged her.

Good luck to all that have or intend to quit image

• Thought you were just off out for a run?
  • ha good point! Think I'm going out a bit later now

• Hi everyone ive had to come on and tell you all to try champix tablets they dont contain any nicotine and do work im living proof they were as far as im concerned a miracle cure if they stopped me (30 a day for 25 yrs) ex truck driver stopped a long time ago with no cravings some slip ups but now finally beaten the fags for good no tabs no cravings and running 5k every other day  dont give up giving up, and remember when the cravings come concentrate hard on them and you will see that they don't hurt or make you feel sick (these feelings all cobblers spouted by someone who wasnt ready to give up) and they only last for a few minutes just occupy your mind for a little while and they go until eventually they become so far in the back ground that you wont even think them as being significant anymore and then you are a non smoker................DON'T "GIVE" UP ............DO "GIVE" UP 

Honestly i dont work for the tablet company but if your serious about stopping then go see your doc and get some they are the best thing ever for a dedicated smoker

Ged

• I'm still doing well with www.whyquit.com
    The arguments there for using the cold turkey approach struck a chord with me. In the end, it's about finding the way that works for you, and everyone is different.

Krys - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 19 Hours and 25 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 14 Hours, by avoiding the use of 176 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £45.82.