Early 2014 70.3 Races

2»

Comments

• CD will you be ballbusting as per usual in Nov and Mar?

I think Nov might be a bit early for me as I'll still be trying to adjust to the colder climates, though hoping I can do the March one, but have a mara on 23rd March so depends on the date

• The November one looks highly unlikely, GB, as I'll have only been back training for a month at most. If I get the all clear to get going again in October I'll go for the march one in the run up to VLM.

You're going to be busy next year!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

GB - even if the Ballbuster was March 1st it'd still be too close to a target marathon on March 23rd. You'd need a lot longer to get over it IMO and it'd set your marathon training back a bit too.

• On the plus side GB, the roads at Ballbuster will feel quite empty compared to what you're used to.

I may BB in May.

• You'd finish last Cat, by a couple of months image

BB is indeed on 1st March, and like TR, for me that would be too close to a marathon on the 23rd.  I think the closest I've done it to VLM is 5 weeks.  But you're younger than we are GB, and you know your recovery rates better than I do.

• For Majorca get the bus from the airport to wherever you are going and hire a bike, much easier and cheaper all round.  It also appears to go the easy way up the hillimage

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

You'd finish last Cat, by a couple of months image

BB is indeed on 1st March, and like TR, for me that would be too close to a marathon on the 23rd.  I think the closest I've done it to VLM is 5 weeks.  But you're younger than we are GB, and you know your recovery rates better than I do.

Atleast no longer wait for results,  eh? 

• Avalaf wrote (see)

For Majorca get the bus from the airport to wherever you are going and hire a bike, much easier and cheaper all round.  It also appears to go the easy way up the hillimage

There's no easy way up a hillimage

• TR wrote (see)

GB - even if the Ballbuster was March 1st it'd still be too close to a target marathon on March 23rd. You'd need a lot longer to get over it IMO and it'd set your marathon training back a bit too.

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

hmmm... you guys reckon? You're both faster than me. This will be my first sub 3 attempt, and was actually thinking the 16 miles that the BB provides (with a small 60minute ride in the middle) actually makes for a nice final long run 3 weeks out. Would also like to do the TCR 10km the day afterwards, then a clear 3 week taper to follow.

• Golden Boots wrote (see)
    TR wrote (see)

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

hmmm... you guys reckon? You're both faster than me. This will be my first sub 3 attempt, and was actually thinking the 16 miles that the BB provides (with a small 60minute ride in the middle) actually makes for a nice final long run 3 weeks out. Would also like to do the TCR 10km the day afterwards, then a clear 3 week taper to follow, finishing off with a few beers pre-race.

Got to give everybody else a chance image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

GB - all the best with the 10k the day after the BB, might not be a PB performance ! 

• Scott Edgington wrote (see)

Rest day for me. Planned to run after work but ended up doing a 13 hour day...

Will run tomorrow but not 100% what yet.. 3rd rest day of this month and sat at 87.8 running miles... 

Will do some core work I think - need to get into that. Will be basic leg raises, planks etc 

Depends whether he keeps his bike upright at BB or not! Wasn't that the start of the ankle problems GB?

• TR wrote (see)

GB - all the best with the 10k the day after the BB, might not be a PB performance ! 

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Scott Edgington wrote (see)

Rest day for me. Planned to run after work but ended up doing a 13 hour day...

Will run tomorrow but not 100% what yet.. 3rd rest day of this month and sat at 87.8 running miles... 

Will do some core work I think - need to get into that. Will be basic leg raises, planks etc 

Depends whether he keeps his bike upright at BB or not! Wasn't that the start of the ankle problems GB?

TR... as TC right points out... I came off in my ast Ballbuster after one lap of the bike, caught some oil on the roads and made a mess of my hands as I wasn't wearing gloves.. DNF

But after putting in a fast first 8 mile run of sub 50 minutes, I ran the TCR 10k the next day and set a huge pb of 35:09... 4 minutes quicker than the 39:xx of the year before on that course image

So reasoning goes... I need to do it again and make sure I crash on the bike as I seem to be quicker then!

• Oh and no I just scraped both hands and sprained my wrist that race. The ankle was about two weeks later in one of these muddy obstacle races. 18 months ago now and it's something I keep constantly doing image