SIG Insulation Sheffield Half Marathon

Comments

• Having been a Race Director myself  I can see the awkward situation that the Sheffield Half Race Commitee find themselves in. The lack of a refund is pretty standard unless they have event cancellation insurance. The costs of hiring portaloos ~ £500, St Johns Ambulance ~ £500, Road Clsoures ~ £400 to £1000 even more for a major city event, Medals (if 1000 runners @ £1 per medal thats another £1000), Goody bag/tshirts (if included) are ~ £3 per person so ~ £3000 for 1000 people. Also race pack production, gantry rental, maybe paid marsahalls. Its likely that the up front costs would be around £10k so there's very little chance they could offer a full refund as a large chunk of money has been spent. As for the whole; getting water bottles delivered early... I recall a few years ago that water/lucozade bottles were left on the Edinburgh marathon route and got knicked over night leaving the slower runners with less water thant they'd probably like. Its a shame but hopefully the Race organsisers will have some legal recorse against their supplier (if indeed it was the suppliers fault). I'm not going to judge; not at least untill I've got the event I'm directing completed with out issue (glass houses, stones, etc)

• I reckon if you're organising something like this you absolutely should have cancellation insurance.  If you don't, you're gambling in just the same way as I would be if I went away without travel insurance.  You might get away with it and save pennies, but if something goes wrong it comes out of your pocket.

• I think 2wheels has hit the nail on the head. You wouldn't need cancellation insurance if it was the water suppliers fault - you would be suing them for a full recovery. The fact that hasn't been mentioned suggests the organisers screwed up. Its unlikely that the waiver runners signed exempted the organisers from their own negligence and therefore they are still on the hook, cancellation or not. They will have insurance for that, unless they are exceptionally stupid...

• Just what I have been wondering; why are the water company not being named?!

• Laurent DLaurent D ✭✭✭

Interesting statement:

"The company we had asked to supply bowsers for the route did not arrive this morning."

Notice "asked", not hired.

• Looks like the water company has come forward. There's a carefully worded statement from the company - not necessarily admitting that it was their fault though.... so we wait to see.

Probably best that both sides are a bit cautious at the moment?

• One of my races is on or around the 20th of jan and we get a full race of 500 runners and we pay ??254 for insurance to cover loses in case of snow or ice. But that would lower the profits of a ltd company.
  • cant believe they are not re-funding you guys!! I studied in Sheffield and fancied returning to do a race there one day.....i certainly wont be doing this one!! You'd think they would at least give people free or discounted entry to another event.

In response to Matt's comments about Edinburgh, i was in that race. I believe the story was that the water was left out at night and someone stole a load of it, which meant runners at the back where arriving at drinks stations with little or no water on offer.

And glad to hear youve got some morals Alan, i ran your inskip HM, it was a good race and well organised.

• Event Insurance I expect would not pick up any claims due to the lack of supply of water. Event Insurance is usually following weather events (costs more premium) or an insured event such as fire, storm etc affecting the event (unlikely for a race unless the road sets alight).

This is a contractual condition whether it be hired, purchased or asked.

I expect the Water Company will have to pay costs due to breach of contract or if a gentleman's agreements are they could even deny all liability.

I would expect that in the terms and conditions of entering the race their are conditions which say that in the event of cancellation beyond the organisors control they are not liable to pay the entry fees back.

Personally I think it stinks, and there should be a gesture of goodwill to refund all payments and then organisors seek recovery from the water suppliers.

One thing is for sure, if I was ever considering of doing this race, I certainly wont ever do it now - not that I would anyway.

Feel for everyone who has been shafted.

• The key words there would be "beyond the organiser's control".  Snow, or foot and mouth, would be beyond the organisers control.  Supplying water is definitely one of the things they control.

If it was one individual they owed £100k, it would go to court and they'd pay.  Owe 5000 people the same amount and they won't bother.  They'll get some awful press but the race will have another 5000 next year.

• 5000 next year? It dropped by nearly 2000 this year and you really think numbers will be maintained?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Was it a profit making organisation that did this race? If so like any other business, they take the hit if it goes wrong.

If I are book cinema tickets for a premiere and turn up and the film supplier has failed to deliver to the cinema and they cancel I would expect a refund. The cinema will have pasid staff and power costs no doubt, but that's not my problem. Their loss can be claimed from the party that let them down. Any clause that denies a refund on any basis on failed performance will almost certainly be an unfasir consumer term.

Why do people have such a sense of acceptance when a commercial entity cocks uip  in a race and refuses a refund. If Ryanair cancelled a load of flights and refused refunds there would be outrage!

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭

As a disinterested bystander, but regular racer/runner, this sort of fiasco just confirms my reluctance to enter any of these big "charity" runs. They're not organised by runners for runners, but, more likely, by charities to raise money (so you can whistle for a refund).

The thing that annoys me is standing at the start of a race, waiting for the gun, and you can vaguely hear someone making a speech at the front (I often start from the back, don't ask why, just my thing). If its an important speech, i.e. run cancelled, why don't that have a proper PA system, if its just wittering about thanks to everyone for turning up, then SHUT UP and lets go!

• Was it a big charity run then? It certainly wasn't when I ran it years ago.

I also ran robin hood halfvyears ago in blistering heat. Some of the water was left out overnight and gpt stolen. A runner died that day.

Ues it's vastly annoying but perhaps a little calm while the truth emerges wouldn't go amiss. I sometimes feel race directors are on a hiding to npthing
  • Well it all goes to show just what a great job all the following clubs have done charging considerably less during the past few months whilst I've been training for Vienna....

So thank you to all the members of and the volunteers involved with Hadleigh Harriers, St Albans Striders, Watford Harriers, Great Bentley, Gade Valley, Berkhamsted Round Table, St Edmunds Pacers, MABAC and Croydon Striders you all made it look effortless, which clearly is beyond others.

• I do understand, but dont agree with their point about the refund. All of the services (seemingly apart from water and insurance) will still need to be paid for. However, lets not beat about the bush, this company got it wrong. The water supply was not checked, no back up plan was in place and the event does not seem to have been insured. Why should the runners bear the cost of this? I imagine that many runners will be seriously out of pocket for other expenses like hotels and travel so refunding the entry fee is a minimum.

As to insurance, that is not the runners problem. If I drive uninsured and cause an accident, do you think that the other party will just accept that they wont be getting paid out?

I would like to know which company 'organised' this race so that I can avoid their events in future. They have got a serious attitude problem and there are enough runs available that are well organised. It is a shame for the people who want to run through their home town though.

• Hi all. I ran this race as part of my 13 in thirteen half marathon challenge I am doing for the NSPCC. (13 months 13 UKA official Half marathons, this was supposed to be no.4)

I was at the 90 minute pen and you could not hear the tannoy system or any marshalls, most round me did not know it was delayed until I said including my own club mates.

At 9:50 we heard a lot of shouting and booing from start area then next thing I knew everyone set off and anyone who is a middle of the pack runner will know if everyone in front sets off you follow.

I did not 100% know it was not a race till I got back. For me personally it was a disaster as I spoke to my challenge adjudicator this morning and as it was officially cancelled and no official time it does not count. So I now have to pick myself up and race again before end of April or the challenge is over.

For those who want a more in depth read here is my blog report: http://13inthirteen.org.uk/race-4-sheffield-hm-farce/

• Who is your "adjudicator" ? Why is he needed ?
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    13inthirteen, I would contact run Britain and see if they can apply pressure or at least get the results from Sheffield timing company.

A baselayer in April? I bet you won't do that again.
  • Tim the results were posted for those that ran with a number, even though the chip time was started then stopped then restarted and a lot did not run with numbers (the chip was on back of number) I lost mine near end and could not be bothered to save it as by then I knew it did not count as a race and had stopped racing by then.

However the good news is a race has offered me a free place on 27th, just sorting out accommodation

To answer the question, certain charity challenges need an adjudicator so there is no cheating going on etc. With mine a lot of sponsoship rides on my finish positions and race times, hence the reason for official races times and positions etc. If not I could just go out once a month and run for 13.1 miles.

• Interesting. Do people pay more if you finish higher up or faster ? How does that work ? All the sponsorship I've raised or given was just for completing.
  • Yes I've secured sponsorship from a lot of businesses where they donate more if I beat my PB and finish in certain positions.

I did a similar challenge last year where I ran 13 10km races in 2013 and rule was I had to PB at each one which I did but majority of sponsorship came from me setting the PB as it made the challenge unique. Last year the Hull 10km was one of my races but that was reduced to a 9km race so it was counted and meant I had to race again in May in Southport. Then 6 days later as that was when my June one was. It did make for an interesting week to say the least. I got my PB down from 50:15 at start of the challenge to 41:38 at the end. The last two races were really hard.

• Blimey - theres an incentive. Well done !
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great work 13. I was thinking that just doing 1 half a month shouldn't be too difficult but having to get PBs makes it really challenging. Good luck with the next one.
  • Thanks everyone, yep makes it harder but more rewarding. I always wanted to give back to the NSPCC as they saved me as a child from the abuse I was suffering so this is my way of saying thank you.

Also cougie thank you for the sponsorship I appreciate it.

• I guess the tricky part would be beating the old PB without having an absolute blinder on a fast course.  A difference of less than 9 minutes over 13 races means some of the margins must have been tight.

• Very tight Dave, one race there was just 11 seconds in it, it was a bit worrying waiting for official time for that one

• I must admit that when I read the talk of adjudicators it did read just a little self-indulgent. But now you've said what the exact nature of the challenge is - I'm impressed. That's a tough challenge to set yourself and also a somewhat original slant on doing multiple events, I can see now why you are so annoyed at Sheffield and good luck with the rest of the events

Just one question, last year was 10km's, this year 1/2s - are you crazy/brave enough to be attempting a PB in muliple marathons next year?

• At first when I posted I did want to seem like I was only posting to promote my challenge as I wasn't more to share with you how I felt. I can see how that could come across wrong.

People keep asking me if I will be doing marathons. I've yet to do one so can't say yes or no. 

Other suggestions have been to then up to ultras or to try and run from lands end to john o groats in 13 days. Currently I just want to complete this challenge and take it from there. image