Scott's training log, advice, support

Comments

• Yes was lucky to get them so cheap, have been worn once or twice but as good as new :)

Crazy to think your currently putting together your most consistent 3 months mileage yet, all bodes well for later in the year and races. Yes saw your run and probably could have met up, hopefully over the next few weeks after I get back from a week skiing I can get back to the group and we can arrange some runs

A solid hour this morning to start the month, felt sluggish to begin with that feeling eased and averaged 7:37s so not too bad.
  • A great start to the month from the both of you, Scott E and Scott P!

I'm always on the hunt for cheap shoes on eBay, but it's always my luck that they go for more than I'd like to pay!

Last night I was looking over some of my runs on Strava (once it came back online!) - I've noticed that I'm no longer really keeping to 75% for easy runs. HR appears to be between 75-80% for the latter parts of the run, which is less than ideal.
    That means I'm starting to blur the easy-medium boundary, not something I'm keen to do!

So decided it's time I actually reign it in, care less about pace and get low HR running as a good base for later in the year. And what better time than on the first day of the month?

10.7mi at 70.5% HR, coming out at 8:17/mi. Yes, it felt really slow. But my HR was consistent, and if you were to remove the small spikes in the data, and flat throughout the run - no real drift!
    It went up to ~74% at times, but it's hard to avoid when running a hilly route.

I've also told myself not to worry about not getting any sessions in before Reading - sessions now wouldn't positively affect the race, and I'm better off just getting good quality miles in!
  • Mental really Scott. Will see how it works out over time if I can stay consistent. Sounds good re group / running together 

7:37s isn't shabby so good solid run. I'm surprised you're let out for an hour though. I'm doing 50 mins which seems to be my staple run now other than the long one and I've been doing a millions times more than you lately. 

Matt - You can never get spot on the HR% and with the elements and terrain I wouldn't worry so much. I don't tend to slow down up hills and keep % down, I do however try to speed up downhills to keep % up, with the HR drift unless you're pushing the pace on purpose then as you know that's an accumulation of aerobic ability and muscle fatigue which just means fitness will come along to sort that out. 

A 'relaxed' approach toward Reading might be very wise, no pressures brought on yourself especially if you have lots of other work and real life stuff to contend with 

Another 30 mins on the bike and pushed the % up and HR along with it. Still only mid 140s after taking it easy to start with and ended on 75.2%
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • You might actually surprise yourself at Reading Matt, being able to run with no specific goal in mind might fare well

Fingers crossed you can stay consistent mate

Would have gym and ran tomorrow but off early to Bristol for work so will just head out for 45mins after work instead
  • Scott EdgingtonScott Edgington ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    How are things feeling Scotty?

Track tempo Thursday today. Saw Dan H and Oli S finishing as I got there and chatted. Warmed up and legs don't feel so good, bit of right leg tightness along the shin / peroneal which I've been trying to roll but it is painful. Everyone was set 8KM. Mr.Coffey said he would join in at 3KM and I had in my head 4 miles was about right so I'd 'pace' first bit and he would take on the latter bit. Great for a tempo in fairness and made massive difference group running

Switched garmin to HR and thought I'd get my head down and settle into a rhythm knowing the others were fitter, wasn't sure what Pitman would do. Didn't expect to be pulling the group round after the first mile though and into the 2nd feeling very strong, legs started to wear down after that though and me and Pitman dropped back at 4km and me further but not by much. I held out through 5KM in 17:29 and felt smooth and just kept an eye on the HR and it settled just over 170 odd.  

Finished up at 172 for 90.5% AV.. Parkrun was like 12 days ago and 17:17 for 93.6% - Fitness jump!!!

I saw Andy pull away and keep going and he had a storming session, think he ran around 27 mins for the 8KM :S - He has Reading half so watch out for that

Pleasing to finish 4 miles (proper finish so 16 and change) in 22:44 for 5:40 miling. Going through 5KM 'cruising' compared to all out effort at parkrun not long ago. 

Big positives and noticeable that first 2 miles HR and stuff feeling good so that's just fitness coming along. 

That puts me at estimated* 35 flat for a 10KM so a 6 week block from now I can hope a mid to low 34 mins is a good shout for now

• Yeah things are feeling good mate, another 45mins last night at 7:19 pace feeling good. Then a steady-hardish spin at the gym this morning. Away in Bristol for the weekend, will be boozy but have got my running kit so may potentially get out for a run but we will see

Sounds like you more than held your own during that tempo Scott, even from just a couple of weeks ago you can see progress and will be interesting to see how much further you can continue to improve after the next 6 weeks building up to the 10km

• Enjoy the boozy weekend mate! Great 45 mins there! Coming along for you is pleasing 

17:05 ish parkrun followed by 2 x 5 mins after off about 1:45 feeling rather pleased with that improvement. HR 175 - 92.1% so less effort than Poole. Legs still tender and a bit heavy but managed splits of 5:33 / 37 / 27 going twice up the hill so paced better but also good to see me able to pick it up late on although bit downhill for some

covered .90 / .89miles on the 5mins

Kris won in 16:20 or just under ! Talent 

70-75 mins tomorrow with 1st 30 easy before picking it up to steady 
  • Scott E - the track tempo looked a good one mate, and definitely gives you a marker for Southampton 10km! What's the plan in the lead up, in terms of covering race mileage/pace in a session? Killer parkrun this morning! Must have been you coming 5th, after Andy? Forgot your barcode? ;)

Scott P - solid running that, good to see all the mileage coming together! Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Continued with the easy effort on Thursday, although takes a lot of concentration not to slip and speed up. Will see how this goes - if nothing else I'll make sure all easy efforts just don't go above HR75%, and try to average ~150-155bpm (Weds and Thurs runs were 148bpm, I think).

Parkrun this morning - great running conditions, although could have actually done with a vest instead of a tee!
    No real plan, thought about going easy or steady, and part way decided to go for a progression.
    Finished up at 21:37, 6:56/mi, for 78.6%HR - by no means an astounding performance, but HR is getting a bit lower from looking at my other parkruns.
    Miles came in at 7:34/7:10/6:16, with kms 4:42/4:31/4:30/4:24/3:27 - so went up a gear for the last one.
    HR for the last km was 88.1%, previously I've done similar final kms for higher HR - 3:33 & 94.3% and 3:28 & 93.3%, although those parkrun performances were 90s and 30s faster, respectively.

Long run tomorrow, not sure how to tackle it yet - maybe another easy/steady split of some kind, thinking 9 and 6. Depends how I feel as I go I guess!

Plan next week is to reintroduce a 6th day of running, pushing me back above 50mi.
  • Yeah 5th. Andy is running very well. I dont have a printed one, I've a sent for my barcode to be replaced as I had key fob one but may buy a wristband. I don't mind forgetting it, I want to have results on PO10 to see progression :)

I spoke with Steve at length after today and he wants to start focusing on shorter stuff heading to the track season where I will go for a track 5km, I'm not sure I'll be doing 10km specific work over the next 6 weeks after the chat now as it'll affect the plans ahead long term. Makes sense and I know myfitness will still improve and run an ok time but I'm not going to approach it in the same way therefore my mileage is unlikely to go up but more the pace and effort of the runs around sessions 

This is is a bit new to me but I will place trust in the plan and accept it. I don't think I'm in a position to think I'd challenge the podium there anyway so it's just getting a local race under the belt and pushing to run a fast 3/5km in the Summer. Watford BMC the place 

Yes your HR was lower on that last KM just thinking of top of my head! That's great news and rather rapid! 

Good news hopefully tipping over 50m things heading in the right direction! 

• Long run yesterday topped my biggest week including some cycling in terms of hours

7 hours.

51.8 miles running and around 20 cycling miles

I felt very ploddy and the wind and rain made for a horrible run, one of those you want over quickly. I didn't end up picking the pace up either. 10 miles at 7:18s HR 144 / 75.7%

I spoke with Steve on the phone as I told him my legs feel very tight and heavy and my foot in the mornings is still stiff and tender. I need to roll every day, do some mobility work and supple up basically. If I want a shot at running fast on the track I have to do these things. 

Steady 30 mins today. Was going to go out and back but the route I took, I remember it was short of 5 miles so with the pace I was going it timed perfectly 

4.76m miles at 6:26s and HR in a good place 153 for 80.5% 

Will be a bit of a lower week again as away to Birmingham Wednesday morning 5AM and training all day and Thursday. 

Chances are my next run will be easy shake out late Thursday if I can or Friday PM when I get to the island. 

As I said with chatting to Steve we have marked out some races and goals, I am not going for Eastleigh 10km and now tomorrow will mark final winter session before transitioning to aim for the track. Hills it will be and now exciting to see if I find these lower distances more suitable 

April 19th - Watford 3,000m

April 23rd - Southampton 10KM

• Good strong week there Scott! Volume is certainly coming back, and hope that the rolling and mobility helps the legs! Gotta remember you've put in a lot of intensity recently, and you're body is still adjusting :) great work though!
    Good to have some races scheduled - I take it that it'll be a strong effort at Watford and then a half-stab at Southampton? Or?

Did the long run yesterday - was getting a bit bored, and HR was drifting up quite early on (didn't eat early enough, and was feeling congested) so decided for a longer steady section that previously said.
    8mi easy and 7mi steady, for 74.3% and 82.9% respectively. Paces nothing spectacular, 8:02/mi (twice up the hill, only once down) and 6:55/mi - apart from going up the hill, the steady miles were ~6:40/mi.

I think that for Reading I will comfortably get sub-90, but just going to see how I feel on the day.

Easy run today - 5.8mi at 7:49/mi for HR71.4%. Again nothing spectacular, however ~5% lower HR compared to 4 weeks or so ago. Progress!  :)
  • Scott EdgingtonScott Edgington ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Full beans at both, will put it all for the 3k and then recover, but yet to see how I respond to shorter stuff.. I can't actually imagine running 3 lots of 3:10 for even 9:30 right now, not even when I ran my 5km PB I would have done low 3 min k reps 

The 10km is obviously going to "suffer" with no direct focus now, but then if you read SGs thread, beasts like Dean prove you can still run a good one! 

You eat before long runs or any runs? Always avoid that for me even if I don't run till 10/11AM I will only have some tea and biscuits perhaps 

Good run and nice to see then HR shift!! 

Travelling to Walsall for work so was a bit hit and miss whether I would be around for the session and being off all day why not get it done before hand in my own time. Which I ended up just doing

Was to be final "winter" session. Hills

By mine is a fairly lengthy and reasonable hill I used. 

6 x 60s / 8 x 45s / 4 x 30s with jog back recoveries which ended up being 90s / 70s / 50s 

Felt pretty strong but no comparable pace / markers to use. Over 5 mile worth up and down so that'll do good for the legs 
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Sounds good - I look forward to seeing what you can achieve at both!
    Just recently started reading the SG thread, some absolute machines on there.

Yes, I always tend to eat before a run - I don't like feeling hungry whilst running, haha. Although, I always do parkrun without fuelling. I'll probably add more unfueled runs in over time.

Continued the easy runs, some around 72%, today a little higher at ~73%HR.
    Just finished 6 consecutive running days with ~52mi, and the legs aren't feeling too shabby. Not too worried about the HR drift I've had over the past few days of easy running (each day has been harder to keep low for pace), as that's just the build up of fatigue - and the warmth today is a factor!

Starting to think about how I'm going to go about training and tuning up for the track 10km in June - thinking of doing Soton 10km as an idea of where I am 8 weeks out, and then D-Day 10km as a progress race 3 weeks out.
    However, think I would prefer to race less than 10km at the time of D-Day - going to look if there's any 5 milers about (my favourite race distance so far, I think!) Also tempted by the Lakeside 5km series.

Scott P - how are the new shoes? Seen you've had a quiet few days, all good with the knee?
  • Great to see you knocking out a low 17 parkrun with extras afterwards Scott. You'll love the track mate certainly a different kettle of fish to your standard road race, just don't beat my 9:17 3000m PB  :)

Managed to get out for a run in Bristol on Saturday morning, over the suspension bridge, however been busy last few days and haven't managed to do anything till a 50min run this morning. Off skiing on Sunday for a week! Wore the shoes this morning for the first time but made my calves feel very tight, had this problem with some older shoes when first wore them, anyone had this happen to them?

Some decent progress with the HR at certain paces Matt, certainly a great way to measure things! I can never eat before a run or I get a stitch, limit food to 2.5 hours before normally

• Busy busy week,  on stop at work and then away, over 6 hours of driving yesterday (probably why today I feel bad - see later)

Unfuelled runs will take a small amount of time to get used too but benefits are great. Your body makes adapatations to burn fat first for fuel rather than essential energy. 

Could be the only difference between me and you right now with me being a bit quicker just being back down to having that efficient fuel usage. 

10000% agree you do both 10kms, plenty of time to recover and also great timings to sort training and gain some race exp to go fitness the A target

Scott - I'll try not too ;) obviously long term dream is sub 9. I maybe suited to the shorter stuff. Legs feeling a bit stiff too from new shoes but they've had a few miles in them now, worryingly noticeably less comfortably than my previous shoe but at 35 quid I can look to change soon and not be too worried. 

Foot (Right) has been tight. Constantly. It's annoying but then more annoyed I've not done much about it. Lack of stretching and rolling. Today on the run my left peroneal hurt every step. Not good BUT as I said I was driving for 6 hours yesterday on top of working / training all day and then was back in 6:30 this morning on my feet for the day

I was shown a post that a podiatrist drop in clinic is available near me in Bitterne twice a month, last one is the 20th so hope to go. 

Good you've been getting more in Scott, skiing again! Lucky!!! Just be careful!! 

Ran in Walsall 5 miles, was lucky to come home alive I think, haven't seen such a run down place in many years and groups of black lads on BMXs with masks on late at night wasn't nice. Was shattered before I ran but HR was ok and pace really.. 

Up at 5 yesterday to fit in a session before driving to pick up 2 people before heading into Birmingham for the training. It didn't happen. Legs stiff and foot tight and not risking straining it more with it not warmed up at all..

A missed session then but ran today steady 25 mins (4 miles at a decent clip) HR up a notch from what I wanted but felt very very comfy breathing wise, despite obvious pain in the leg. It did go away with a mile or less to go but now trying to self massage them clearly tight..

Tomorrow a tempo run out..

Next week could be a small similar week as I'm probably being sent to Norwich at the tail end of the week now, in which the driving will affect time frames and ability to run. It won't be wise to run after 4-5 hours sat driving! 

Still, perhaps two easier weeks and this pain and stuff might be what I need to rest and then get into rolling and sorting my foot 
  • Also Matt, defo Lakeside 5km series!!! 

• Spent a bit of time watching some videos online late last night about 1AM when I just couldn't sleep. 

Plantar relief / strength stuff. They actually did help and I did then again this morning although my foot feels tender now (I've ran) it wasn't better, I think some constant work and stretching will help. Surprisingly a little routine of various things left me quite out of breath!! 

25 mins tempo today and thought I'd run upto the track, it was closed till 10 so stashed my over top and headed down the cycle track, a little downhill to start but had to slow for a horse and then on my way, turned at 5km which I decided have it on lap and record my km splits

3:17 Open then all 3:26-3:29 and then over stepped the last one at .64 for 3:34 before evening I think out on a 3:26

Mile reps showed I slowed a bit but having to turn loses at least a few seconds HR 175 for 92.1% in which matched my effort at parkrun last week. 

5km was around 17:10 but seriously think sub 17 could have been done (same effort) without crossing bridge, the horse and slowing for gates (they are open but have to switch back) plus my excuses 

4 miles in 22:21 an improvement from 22:44 on the track just over a week ago which was also in a group so feel pleased 

So anyway, adding on another mile that does show I've got a little quicker than the last week too so I feel I am in sub 17 shape. My new trainers aren't so great, bit too clumpy and unresponsive though it's starting to irritate me

Bought some insoles from Lidls for 4 quid to put in them, a bit of support but also with a padded heel bit so why not try 

75 ish mins tomorrow at some point 
  • Scott P - I always seem to have some issues with brand new shoes, but just kinda roll with it for a while and they get better :) I hope you enjoy skiing mate!

Scott E - great running on your tempo today, first km came in a bit nippy, eh? ;) make sure you take care of the legs and feet - they're your key to running Watford!

Had a bit of a twinge on my ankle Thursday as I rolled it a bit during the run. Felt a little dodge yesterday, but seemed to be fine today, so all is good!
    parkrun this morning, 6:39/mi (20:32) for 83.3% - as usual, unsure what to do in terms of tackling the run, so ended up being a progression run with splits 7:35/6:44/5:45. Pretty pleased with how it ramped up, and gave the effort from the top of the hill second time round, rather than ~4km mark. Final km came out as 3:30 (km before was 3:40!), it was tough to hang on, but it paid off!
    I'm far from being able to push out 5:45s all through, which was my PB pace - but I'm looking forward to getting sessions in soon. 

Will be an easy 15mi tomorrow, no steady section, resting up for Reading - but keeping the mileage high.
    Wonder if can keep tomorrow around 73%...

So in terms of races, now looking to be...
    Reading HM, 19/3
    Combe Gibbet to Overton 16mi XC, 2/4
    Southampton 10km, 23/4
    Lakeside 5km, 24/5
    D-Day 10km, 4/6
    Devon 10000m, TBC but I think third week of June
    Lakeside 5km, 28/6

Quite a lot on now, but nothing massive after the 16mi, which I'll treat as a steady long run.
  • A bit downhill aided and always open a little quick ;) 

I'll need to sort footwear for Watford, spikes probably in which I'll need to transition into them and do sessions in them. Could be dangerous territory given I've been in bigger supportive shoes forever!

I've managed to source my original adidas boosts though off my brother who borrowed them when he ran Brighton HM for charity. I had a bad experience with them digging into my Achilles and I feel they contributed to my first major injury, however I know what bit irritated me and will try them as they have barely been worn. 

Been doing some more mobility and various stretches plus re strapping my leg in a slight different way. 

Im not saying my PF is stopping me but overall in general I feel tight and feel awkward and "slow" I constantly feel like I can push faster so I thinking I need to work on mobility to free things up. It cant hurt. I also messaged Kyle about coming for a massage soon so will fit that in and have a full deep work over 

Matt - Great work on the parkrun, again rapid closing last KM. Be careful the ankle doesn't flare up! I'd be cautious and go down the ice and mobile route 

A great plan ahead though and I'd be happy to get my teeth into a race plan! 

I'm going to mention to Steve about Lakeside as maybe get the group to attend but with Watford on Wednesdays maybe it'll clash, if we Can get the group down though maybe a sub 16 attempt could be on later in the year and top end is sharp

Have a great time skiing Scott! 
  • Always good to have a downhill start for momentum! ;)

A good shout on mobility and ice - I'll definitely be doing that, if for no other reason than caution!

Would be good if you're able to get a road 5km in, especially where the top-end field will be able to push you along! You definitely won't be seeing me at the sharp end :D  

Another thing I was gonna say, and forgot in the previous - if you are driving up to Norwich, I'd personally make sure I get a run in when I get there, shake everything out, but make sure it's easy
  • Hehe ;) 

Yeah good advice to shake the legs out, I really wanted to get a shakeout when I got to Brum but we had less than 30 mins between arriving and the event starting.. I am sorting Travel and arrangements on Monday, it might still not happen, the trouble for my manager is that it means changing my day off and they have to account the amount of travel in my hours to some extent where it will be a long drive so meaning shortening other days. I will have more freedom as it'll just be me and won't have to worry about ferrying 2 others to hotels and back

Theres no reason you can't be toward sub 17. If you can run 3:30km (17mins ish) for 1km then it's not a dream goal - Very realistic 
  • The most horrific run today. I wanted to run at a steady HR, didn't care for pace so 70 mins at a decent HR would be fine. Left leg was sore again but went, it wasn't bothering me yesterday but I feel it's like a cramp not an injury concern, under my arms felt the same too like I'd been doing press ups non stop. I just felt every step was effort and draining 

I opened up ok, 1st 3m in 6:30s before slowing a notch but back into the wind. HR stayed put I bailed out just over 10miles

Happy to produce 6:42s AV, HR 156 for 82.1% However a clear highlight of how aerobically unfit I am as I've done this pace to ~140s before (Last year)

40 miles for the week but again counting out near 8m of those WU/ WD and other than the tempo and Hill session I've just done 3 x 30 minute runs 
  • Another run on Friday although knee was a pain again, I think this may have been because I haven't done exercises for about 5 days. Saturday went to the gym and did 30 mins on the exercise bike including 10min tempo and sprints. Out at the chalet in France for a week's skiing now  :)

Will certainly be interesting to see how well you cope with the shorter stuff. A very decent tempo run, you seem to get better week on week!

Far from ideal week with all the driving, my knee is always worse after sitting in the care or sitting for ages. Pain having to go to Norwich next week as well

Hopefully the ankle was only a temporary twinge Matt and won't return now, lots of races coming up 

• Scott E - sometimes you get runs like that, my long run the other week I felt crap the whole way through. Gotta have the bad to get some good! That's some good volume for the week!

Scott P - make sure you don't neglect the exercises any longer, you've ample time to fit them in around skiing  ;) very jealous mind!

Ankle all good - no problem later on Saturday and nothing during the long run on Sunday.
    Long run was done unfueled, well except for a cup of coffee, and felt surprisingly good - no stitches, nausea etc., that I sometimes get because of eating. Did start feeling ravenous towards the end mind! Managed to keep the HR under control - 72.9% for 8:01/mi, very impressed given that it was unfueled. Finished a 52mi week - first of many 50+ to come!

This morning was the earliest I've ever been for a run... 06:40! Got a couple weeks of intense uni, so better to get the run done early. Again, unfueled (straight out of bed and out the door) - 71.9% for 7:58/mi. Legs were very sluggish to begin with, and that's understandable.
    Had a comment from the coach to up the effort to c75% - will likely do that as of tomorrow for a couple of reasons; legs are fresher for a week of low intensity, want to be able to turn the legs over before Reading, and also running faster means I'm less pressed for time before uni!

Tomorrow we're out surveying the east Solent, so think I should just be able to squeeze the run in... Shame it wasn't today - weather was glorious!
  • Busy few days here!

Hope you are having good time skiing Scott - Shame about the pain but perhaps you are right, with it tensing / seizing up with no exercise. I feel like I am making some improvements weekly, the aerobic easy runs are still taking it out of me though and feels like a huge slog sometimes

Matt - 6:40 is a lay in ;) Good news nothing flared up with the ankle. Brilliant 50+ mile week! How was the survey? Good to speed things up to get the legs ready, you should look at strides or some hill reps too. (The hill reps is just something short at the end of a basic run and you'd do something like 4 or 5 x 8-10 sec) it works form and gets the legs out of plod mode all the time. I should start doing this or at least strides again

Busy busy with work and different things. On the IOW of course the weekend and then Monday I was out early (5:30) to get my run in before all day at work, was in by 10 and didn't finish till 9 odd. Did a solid 9 miles with Oli and although I still felt bad we hit 6:46's at 78% HR so comparably better than the day before.

Was then in the fertility clinic quickly before Monday work with Inesa and we have made a choice to think about trying for a baby, shes had complications before with a previous long term partner losing 3 babies so we are both just going to get checked and then plan out our year, it's been 18 months or now for us. She also mentioned that she wanted a ring for her birthday (April) when she turns 30. Guess it's all going to happen then :S 

I was then day off yesterday as I am going to Norwich tonight, but having to work 9:30-10 here first! Not so good! 

Yesterday I wanted to hit the session ath the track but again as I am away for 3 days and working the weekend I though it's not fair on the GF and I cleared my day and ran in the afternoon, I also took Mia to school and then had my follow up appointment at the GI clinic with my surgeon! One year on! 

Good news though she was happy with my arsehole :) we discussed some mild pain I have had occasionally and the odd spot of blood but unless things become persistent daily I am not to worry and continue doing normal things. Perhaps not going to do some epic weightlifting though. I will be seen in 6 months and then discharged if it's no worse. I was pretty happy with that!

Out on my run today it was pretty tough, about to head to work 9:30-10. Just about 45 minutes trudging along with HR pretty stable (142 / 74.7%) but felt chesty and tight, been measuring peak flow the odd time recently and it's around 500 give or take pre / post run not much in it. I did take my inhaler just now and will see if that changes anything in about 15 mins. 

Session yesterday for info - 1m (90s) then 2 sets of 800/400/400 then 2 sets 600/300/300

Didn't feel so sprightly but ran ok, 5:26 for the mile then roughly 2:35s / 75s for 800 / 400 and then 1:55 and 55 ish for the 600 and 300s, consistent across all reps..

• Quite a few draining days

Early start and work all day yesterday left me getting home at 10:45pm and annoyed to the last bit of milk being pretty much smelly and off. Short sleep and up for 3:30am for a longish drive to Norwich 

Arrived in ok time (7:30) and worked till about 3pm, back to hotel chilled, led on bed for a bit and then run :/ 

Feeling tired and horrible, dehydrated and hungry. I probably did damage more than anything. 

4 x 4:00 (90s) + 4 x 3:00 (90s) + 4 x 30s 

Weary this was something in the region of 8 x 1km or similar I wanted to pace myself, I had no idea where I was going initially but actually found  a big loop round the hotel. Too many car crossings though 

Started just about 5:40 pace and was hovering inside that across all reps bar the 30s where I tried to get the wheels going 

Finished and felt ok but breathing was very restricted and tired legs

Work normal shift tomorrow here in Norwich then drive home. I think either way I'm going to hit some form of traffic going round London and being Friday night so not going to rush leaving unless they decide by 12 they don't need me ;)

• Work and driving caught up with me this week and last night when I finally got home from Norwich I was feeling pretty run down. 

Up at 6 for work today and thankfully not so busy. Lots going on but all good. Finished late as usual and then got out to run not long before 4:30.

Over to Hoglands park, I did plan the common but this offered better grass

Session on Grass - 10:00 (2:00) 5 x 2:00 (60s) 5:00 (90s) 5 x 60s (60s)

Felt hard work on the opening 10 minutes, starting at 5:40s and pace drifting back towards 6m/m. However the location and trees altered the GPS, as some of the shorter reps like the 60s had me at 6m/m in one bit but 5:20m/m on the other side so don't quite know my exact pacing. Still the goal for me was not worrying about how far I was covering and getting in a solid session and my HR was working hard. Biggest session in terms of minutes this year. 30 minutes in total! 

Quick warm down back

A bit gutted I am actually off tomorrow as Eastleigh 10KM is on, I could and still could get a spot but not motivated to race really. I am giving two lads a lift and will take the GoPro and watch then do my long run and then see Mia. 

Big change as handed in my notice today at work, been waiting since last week, switch external to a different company in April, unless they decide to promote me or something, I am still set to have a meeting with my function manager on Monday. I wonder how they will fit in the near 60 hours lieu time I've got accrued, not even counting the driving I've done with the trips lately :) Feel good to move on as we had a lengthy discussion about work / life balance and stuff as I barely get to see my daughter around conflicting shifts / hours so hopefully things should be a bit more rigid

• Solid session on the grass today - like you say, places with trees (just like the common really!) bugger the GPS around.

Great news about the job, and exciting times with trying for a family - I hope everything works out in your favour :)

Spending the weekend in Reading, ready for the HM tomorrow. Got up here on Friday evening and realised that I'd forgotten my HRM - doh! What's really sad is how much it bothered me that I forgot it, haha!
    Easy run this morning out on the Thames Valley Path, an hour which came out as 8mi. Upped the effort on the last mile a bit, not even to the point of feeling steady, and came out as just over 7min/mi.

Still not sure how to tackle tomorrow - will either try to hold a consistent steady pace throughout (maybe 6:45s, but don't want to be too ambitious), try to hang onto the 1:25 pacer (a bit dubious that I'll actually manage it), or keep with the 1:30 pacer for about 6-8mi and put an effort from there to the end.
  • Thanks Matt

Have a good run either way! I'd be tempted not to race if I forgotten my HRM! Not that I look at it whilst racing much :) 

Could be a bonus really, go with the 1:30 pacer and then open up to feel see how it's goes ? 

I'd potentially do my own race too, you know roughly the upper limit of what you might run so roll with it, you might suprise yourself! Lots of good runners there tomorrow, Alex Tueten set for a very fast time  

Im heading over to Eastleigh to watch 
  • Yes, I saw that Alex Teuten was lined up to be doing it - although I can't seem to find a full list of results... Really interested to see who came where!

So, a short race report...
    Before the race, I met up with a few others from the group that I train with back home, and decided based on some chats that I would start with the 1:25 pacer and see where I end up.
    With the pacer was a chap I recognised from back home, and so chatted with him as we went - first few miles opened well and was pretty comfortable, as we were able to chat, and we pulled ahead of the pacer.
    By 8 miles, we were at about 6:25 pace - I was starting to feel a little fade, which maybe I could have avoided if I'd had my HRM... He peeled off, as he planned to ramp up with a few miles to go (6s for the remainder, he finished 1:22ish).
    Some parts in the second half were proper windy, especially the long straight at the end. My pace dropped from the last hill to the end, but not too majorly (although there was a low 7min/mi at the end...  :# )
    Finished in 1:26:40 - unfortunately with a positive split - but I'm pretty happy with this result given that I've only been doing easy running and building my mileage!  :) The fella from my training group also struggled from mile 8/9, so glad I wasn't the only one (except he was much faster!)

Plan for next week is another ~50mi week, all easy again, before settling into sessions next week - looking forward to it!