Scott's training log, advice, support

Comments

• Sorry Scott - we seem to have hi-jacked your 5k/10k thread to talk about marathons. I was just about to post something about toilets too, but have just stopped myself in time and will keep that to the appropriate location! image

• Well, you know, I wasn't going to actually point the finger of blame at anyone specific... image

• cheers johnas I'll take that on board! I haven't ran today as I travelled straight from isle of wight to work.. What's the best run I do for today? I've done strides before so Ill just do as you said for Saturday prep.... 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • after your track session last night? run easy! Go give 40mins @ 7.00 - 7.25 min mile a shot and see how you go.

I'm thinking you won't find it easy but you need the practise  ;)

• Ok- I'll be running home after work so ill extended it and run 40 min steady steady loop and post it see how close I get image

• Just punched in some numbers on pace calculator based  on my log route home (5.13m) so at 7:25 pace I'm looking at 38:xx so that's the aim - I know the landmarks well enough now to have an idea of pacings... Won't be till 10pm though image - on that. is running very late a problem? I am a good sleeper though

• it's like I'd planned it  image image

running late isn't an issue - it's motivation that makes it difficult

• I can motivate myself to run not a problem- I just thought running late may not be best option as I'll end up eating after... 

• Run complete and I must say a bit of an eye opener! I set out at a nice trot and felt comfy the whole way! I have a bit of a sore left leg just behind the knee and I felt a bit of calf soreness but it wore through. Will keep an eye on the leg though as past 3 days been bit stiffer than I would like... Anyway

Changed route as I wanted to run somewhere not 100% familiar so I could try work on pace without thinking..

Had 4.92 measured and went though in 33:23 - 6:47 pace. So I carried on a bit round the block and timed in perfection at 40:14.. Comes back at 5.87 miles so 6:52 pace image - A tad quicker than my aim but first go at running like that so I'm happy..

As planned no AM run - just 30 mins the same tomorrow PM

• Just about to upload my mileage but an easy run for me as planned, feel bit tired but been up since 5:30 and my little one keeps me busy- ran along the beach here on the island was delicious 

• 5 miles for me too tonight. 

Rest 2moro. Then 1:15 run on Sunday (in taper stage of Mara training image)

• What's the marathon? 

• Mablethorpe. First road marathon for me so a little important.

Done an off road one but times not really worth talking about image

• Fair enough. Do you have a time frame your aiming for or is it get a PB set and work from there- I'm still waiting for the computer to be free to upload my run - only have the time for now- 

• Yes 3:30 or better. But as club championship states every year a marathon time counts I'll improve on that year on year. 

• Run tonight was 4.60 miles along windy seafront and sand for some of it.. Was a beautiful run though and last two days running slower has been alot nicer.. Left leg is not as sore as it was 4 days ago and its just some muscle soreness all around on both legs now. Doubt I'm going to feel 100% fresh but a decent sleep may see otherwise...

SO - 4.6 miles steady/slow @6:46 pace ending 31:06 - good to see similar to yesterdays pace image 

I have opted to go for a 16:40 5KM.. so 3:20 KM or 5:21 Mile pace.. 

Tim - Thanks, I will be posting my unoffical time around 10:30. Medina park run can be slow at uplaoding .. I always have Soton park run next Saturday if things dont go to plan here..Technical course and very open for heavy crosswinds... image ill save the excuses. 

Am thinking of buying some new racing flats and training shoes too - maybe this weekend.. Any tips? Currently run in some Brooks green silence for racing and Brook st racer for steady stuff.. (both well over mileage use now) 

• Extra note - The run tonight sent me into the biggest month of running since April and obviously since I have been running again.. 113.4 m- add tomorrow park run it'll be 116.5..

Looking great to add a few % to my 112 miles in August.. 

Having said that I've also done 60 miles on the bike - not cycled at any other time this year.. 4 rides to my name :S 

Sunday evening should bring the month suummary i'll type up

• Well done on slowing it down - still some way to go; try next time to get over 7 min / mile. There's no additional benefit at all from running at 6.45 ish pace so save your legs for the bigger sessions.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • Scott... Sticking to the Brooks theme, T7s are currently really cheap online. 

I use Adidas Adizero Manas as they're like Adios but with a little more medial support. I suspect you are more efficient than me and can get away with a true flat. 

• Morning all, leaving shortly for parkrun- slight rain and looks windy image but let's give this a go- ok I understand johnas so I'll take that on for this week, I'll post my weekly plans later today/tomorrow... 

Thanks for advice Tim, going to have alook whilst I'm off work this weekend ..

• Morning scott. good luck for this morning

on the trainers ive always stuck with the Asics range. just bought some volt 33's and are very light and neutral.

• Park run complete! very wet and slippery course and they reversed the route so didn't know my pacings as such- slight wind didn't affect me though.. Feel like I lost some time with the grass being wet and in my racing flats- maybe spikes next time! 

Anyway image unofficial time was 17:00 flat maybe a second either way so in all I'm kinda ok with that given conditions- my PB was set in warm dry day.. I felt controlled and felt I ran with good form . Maybe just need to put some pace back into my legs- unfortunately don't know any split times, they had no markers, didn't feel I slowed massively at any point to be honest but would love to see splits....

so, close to the PB and annoyed couldn't go quicker but we always have next week.. 

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Nice time Scott.  I really struggled today and paced really poorly.  I got a PB by 1 Sec (18:24) so my name goes in the Boost freebie hat!  I haven't run a Parkrun since last Dec and should be fitter and better.  The PB was perfectly paced though so with some better self control I should be able to get under 18:00.  My 5km PB on the road is 17:18. 

• How do people who only run 25 miles a week run so quick. 

• Great work on PB toro! Should comfy go under 18 with that road time! I really want to run Soton parkrun 5km now- should be much quicker I hope! 

And spen71- I don't have an answer image 

• Spen - usain Probably runs less than that image

Nice run Scott. I wouldn't get too hung up on splits or whether it was a PB or not. Use parkruns as a decent speed session to see where you are fitness wise