Scott's training log, advice, support

Comments

• So a quick update on the blog - 

Felt ok after yesterdays efforts I think it was the 9 hours at work on my feet that killed me. Felt very tired late in the afternoon came home around 7 PM and had a hour nap.. 

Work today and chose not to run either way.. going to go on a steady run shortly and go over the some fields near me and focus purley on a nice steady run on some grass which is fairly challening (no hills as such just windy and bumpy) Will hopefully be good for some leg strentgh and this will be my aims if I'm on an early shift as if it gets to dark will have to stick to the road..

I have started to pencil out a 6 week plan. Will finish tonight and upload with some clear goals, race targets and stuff in! Going to be excited and good I think! Running has been going well and I'm still feeling stronger as time goes on! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Absolute super run! Found a really nice little loop on the green with a few short steep hills and soft undulating ground - perfect! 

Measured the .63 mile up there and back and went up inaround 4 minutes each way which is 6:20 pace - pace slowed a little obviously round the green so estimating about 6:40 ish...Which would bring in 6 miles which seems right for how I feel ..

I wanted to run for 40 minutes and didn't look at my watch I wanted to jsut run - ipod in and go! I did a few loops and felt fine and once I settled I looked and before I knew it 32 minutes had passed - So I went roudn the last little bit of the loop double back on and knew had 4 minutes ish home so perfect timing really..

Home now to finish the schedule and stretch off! 

• Hi all..So this is my rough training plan going forward upto my 10KM race- I have posted this elsewhere to get interest and see if I need to change anything ..However

My PB over 5KM stands at 16:40 and going on predicted times I should be at a 34:37 10KM - My aim before was a 34:59 so that is my aim for Stubbington 10KM.. I Don't know what I'll actually be happy with to be honest

My plan will be this 

November 16th - Parkrun SOTON - 6 weeks away

December 1st - XC race (cc/6 race 2) - 8 weeks away

December 15th - XC race (cc/6 race 3) 10 weeks away

January 4th - Parkun Medina or SOTON (depends on family/work plans over new year) 13 weeks away

January 19th - TARGET RACE Stubbington 10km - 15 weeks away

My week will be (focusing on what the sessions are) Steady run post to follow

Sunday - LSR - Currently on 65 Minutes - Will progress 5 minutes every sunday upto 75 Mins

Monday - Steady 

Tuesday - Track session with SOTON AC

Wednesday - Steady

Thursday - Session (my own unless I can get to track) Normally work late shift

Friday - Easy / Steady (Recovery day) May rest every other Friday when I travel to the Isle of Wight with my Daughter after work. 

Saturday - Session

I aim to be doing around at least 40 miles here. With last week at c37 and this week looking the same 

• Session plans

I will just rotate sessions rolling through them and will look to include possibly 1 alternative ..Please offer any advice or suggestions to change or session you think maybe more beneficial 

6 x 1KM off 90s between 3:05 / 3:10

8 x 800 off 60s @2:30

3 x 2 miles off 4 minutes (too long?) @11:30 / 5:45 m/m

5 x 1mile off 60s @ 5:35

12 hill sprints (hill is 24% and 112 long) roughly 25-28s up and 30-35 down and continious for 12 Minutes (Will aim to add a rep each week I do this session) If I do this session I can opt to run the 1.29 m at a decent pace home too

• Steady running days MON / WED / FRI 

Every other Friday I work 7-3:30 and travel the the Isle of Wight so that will be my rest day or I will do a 35ish minute run in the evening when I'm home 

With it getting darker earlier I will be restricted to what I can do but will post options and just enter them on my spreadsheet log and do them alternate for variation

Early shift - 7-3:30

1) 5.13m run to work / will work a 4 mile ish route home (25-30 mins) 

2) 2.26 in easy or bus / 2.26 route home but cutting off and then over on the grass routes continuing on to do 45 minutes total 

3) Bus / Cycle in both ways and 45-50 Minutes steady on the grass when home 

Middle shift - 9-5'30

2) Work a 6-7 Mile route into work (40-50mins) and bus home (will take trackies) 

Late shift - 1:30-10 

2) Work a 6-7 Mile route into work (40-50mins) and bus home (will take trackies) 

Theres lots of combos but my goal will be to run a solid steady run one way or another now into work having at least 5 mile volume and start building on that .. I will avoid doing a double where I can but If I have to/want to I can run the 2.26 m in or home very very slow which I dont think will have my impact....?

• Errrr.... 1 day off every 14? well that flies in the face of everything ive read lol.

• Now there are still 3 things I need to include in my day which is why It's vital  I structure everything (run wise) 

Stretching 

Core work

Diet

(In that order for the moment) 

I will endeavour to take time to stretch every AM and PM (or after a run/session)

I will plan a core workout - I can do one every Wednesday AM on my day off as I will always run in the evening - 

And I will follow this plan when doing these shifts on my steady running days 

Early shift - Core work around 8/9PM - Steady run will be finished by 6PM

Mid shift - Core night time around 9PM  - after steady run (which will be done about 6PM) 

Late shift - Core AM around 8/9AM - Will leave for work around 12PM

Will go for at least 2 sessions a week

Will / could do a core workout every other Friday on my IOW travel day

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

3 quality sessions a week and 1 Rest day in 14 will wear you out quickly. I do 3 quality a week but have a rest day every week. 

Also your sessions are tough with such short recoveries. I would take 90 secs for 800 reps, 2 mins for 1k, 3 mins for mile reps and 5 mins for 2 mile reps. This way you can concentrate on keeping the consistency in your reps.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Remember you are playing the long game.

• OK thanks.. So rather miss a steady run  in the week and rest and do the 3 sessions 

• Good session for me at the track tonight - 

Had allready cycled about 5 miles there and then warmed up..

Session was 5 x

700m off 1 minute jog

then 

300 off 1 minute jog

Ran consistently and I did them at

2:03 / 52

2:05 / 52

2:05 / 53

2:06 / 53

2:04 / 51

Felt ok afterwards and thats running about 4:47 pace over the 700s and 4:44 over the 300s

Warm down and then 5 odd my cycle home image 

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Hi Scott,

It'll be interesting to see how you get on in the coming months.

Hopefully you will prove us wrong but your training program might burn you out quickly.

Where did you find those sessions?

You need to know why you are doing each session, What its purpose is.

Have your easy runs slowed up yet? If I were you I'd change the wording in the schedule. From 'steady' to easy. The way I see it, steady running is at the top end pace of aerobic running i.e Marathon Pace. Easy running is running at a slower pace than than but still decent aerobic running. This will reap equal benefits with much less fatigue, effectively enabling more training to be done.

For example your session tonight, 700's. You ran them at mile race pace which is a speed session. So, why 1min recoveries?

Another thing I was wondering why the tempo running is at different paces. 5:35 for the 5 x 1mile and 5:45min/miling for the 3 x 2m? . recovery is minimal either way so rep distance has no real bearing on the target pace.

Dean is obviously correct with respect to interval recoveries. I also believe the recovery time should be more than 50% of the time it took for the rep.

What are your thoughts? I'm sure with suitable training you will progress steadily.
  • Hi Seb, 

The reason I posted them is due to that - I dont want to burn out and am allready considering swapping a few days around and taking an easy / rest day etc etc..

I havnt started those session yet and I  wont be until I'm 100% happy with my plan..other than sessions I've said i've completed like last night (which was with SOTON AC) 

I posted them after using an old guide I had plus on the internet and I wanted to post them to get feedback just like what you've said and I'll take it all in..

- Yes I have slowed down ALL my steady running, still getting used to it but its gone from ALL 6:00 m/m to at least 6:30 and I do feel better for it, don't feel sore and obviously have done some speedwork.. Last night I felt good and I had ran my biggest week so far (normally I guess I would have felt sore but felt fine) ...

I have still only done 4 speed sessions since 17th September so It's not as bad as may seem yet..

However these coming weeks  I will have to manage myself...I will look at my recovery period as thats what could be most damaging I guess...

On my current running plan I have tuesday / thursday and Saturday mapped out as session days.. If it comes to it I will do something basic that I know is'nt messing with recovery time / to quick etc... and then pick up a different session when I know its right

Thanks for the feedback though! 

• My plan tonight is going to be an easy run. 40 minutes or so..

I will try get on grass but I wont be running till after 6PM

• Out all day today and now back home - Literally spot on 6PM as I said image 

Its still half light so I'm going to start over the fields and keep going until I hav eto come away.. 40-45 mins steady is the run... 

Suprisingly after walking alot of miles today and stuff legs feel fine after last night session and the big run on the W/E..

When home going to do a mid week update and then finalize my session for tomorrow and most likely Saturday as It'll be a busy few days for me travelling and with my daughter away again image 

• Steady run mostly on grass. Decided to use same route over the fields as before and use a few markers to time the loops to make sure I was running at a consistent pace..

So the 4 minutes up there is roughly 6:20 pace which is ok opening and then once on the loops each one was roughly 5:50 - Its a nice undualting route with some little steep hills so I'm sure thats just gonna help my strength..

I did 5 loops and all times were roughly the same whih was perfect - came up the last one in 35:xx so 30 seconds run out over the field and the 4 oddminutes home ended in a nice 40:05 for roughly 6 miles (guestimating my loops where a little slower and the run to and from the fields felt similar and I measured that distance allready (.63 mile) 

• Weekly summary 

Sun 6th October - Saturday 12th October

Sunday - LSR 64:45 - 9.93 miles

Monday - Steady 5.9m @6:43 - 39:37

Tuesday - session - 5 x 700 / 300 at roughly 2:05 / 53 

Wednesday - steady 6m @6:41 - 40:05

Mileage is 24.93 for the week and will be my biggest week of mileage as planned..A tiny progression on last week and progression as I have planned so thats good image 

Legs feeling fine so going to eat and rest.. Will post session I am doing tomorrow AM later on I think...

• Did you intend covering 10 miles in 65 minutes on your Long SLOW Run????

• I am working on my times.. Still trying to slow everything down- I am going again Sunday and will aim for 7 m/m at least... Going for 70 minutes
  • cool, just wondered why your slow runs were at a faster rate than your steady runs.

Im still wondering how you are going about all this uninjured but it seems to work for you, so keep going. I assume at some point you are going to have to face up to the fact youre going to need to do a HM to keep Samir happy?

• Maybe - I've never raced more than 10km and I always did 1500m on the track .. I will see how training goes and my 10km in January .. I've been lucky without getting injured but so far never have in my sporting career so to speak..
  • Ok, so session will be pretty straight forward tomorrow

6 x 1 KM (3.7m) off 90 seconds at 3:10 (TARGET PACE) (measured loop using runkeeper) 

*Based on my PB for 5K which is 3:20 per KM @16:40

It will be a one loop 1 km rep so I will use roads etc as landmarks for pacing. Route has a slight uphill 1 side but shouldnt affect me.

Plan to get up reasonable tomorrow no rush and do the session - I will cycle / bus into work around 12:30PM 

• For your 5k time and no future race, Mcmillan shows:

Endurance Paces Easy Runs 6:26-7:23 Long Runs 6:32-7:38 Recovery Jogs 7:27-8:10   I try to keep my easy runs at the bottom end (i.e. slower). Last year I made great progress on only quality runs, but soon gt injured
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Iron - haven't you realised Scott doesn't listen to advice? 

1) Advised to stop doing double days - ignored.

2) slow down your runs and spend more time running easy - ignored

3) take a rest day - ignored.

Scott knows best that's why he's set up a thread asking for advice obviously 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a bit harsh johnas.  A lot of people do doubles, such as SG, and its fits in with his lifestyle.  He has slowed down his long runs by 30 secs a mile (ok thats not enough but its a decent start).

his paces wont seem so ridiculous when he posts a sub 16 5k in the next few months.

• I hve listened Johnas..

I have done 3 double in the last 18 runs - as opposed to every day

1) The PM run was well over 7 m/m when I did the double

2) Every single one of my steady runs went from basically under 6:10 m/m to all over 6:35 m/m

3) I have planned a res tday for every other friday and one of my steady days will become an easy day..My schedule is still being worked on and I am playign around with it as I go for the next few weeks as I travel every other weekend have my day off packed with travelling etc so need to see what fits best...

But thank you for the advice I have taken it on. I want to improve and you all seem to have the experience I am still adapting..

I would post my spreadsheet if i Icould then it would be easier to see then read back on the thread...

BUT - Anyway I just finished my session 6 x 1 KM ..coming up

• So 6 x 1KM on my measured loop - After 3 going into the 4th I thought I may stick to doing 5 but I had ran consistently and that was a definate mental block and I pushed on and did the 6...

It was slightly colder today and I felt that too image 

Splits were 

3:05 / 3:08 / 3:06 / 3:07 / 3:08 / 3:07 

Ended really happy with that session - it was tough and I was more tired here than any of my other session I think - Jogged back round the loop and onto home - warm down and in process of strecthing back in the warm..

On late shift today and Early tomorrow so important I rest now - Travelling to Isle of Wight tomorrow straight from work so the most I will do is a recovery run image And I mean thatimage - No Medina park run for me Saturday either will probably do a hill session 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Dean - maybe I'm just poking Scott to think about the advice he's been given and why he's been given it. Agreed he has potential but he's still not training as smart as he can IMO

• Thankyou Johnas I am working on it! I am looking at my schedule as we speak