Rome Marathon 2014

2»

Comments

• Welcome to the forum Naomi. I think it was Gatorade last time but I prefer water to be honest. It was also in cups and the only problem I had was at 18 miles where it was in short supply in the cups and I didn't see any other water station til around 22 miles . I'd advise taking your own if it's what you prefer. The route is lovely though and the last few miles are wonderful.

As for the medical cert or running club membership I'm still waiting for confirmation. I did forward my club membership proof to a couple of email addresses but not sure if they are the right ones. Can somebody post the address they used.

• David: I am a member of a boxing club and the coach´s brother is a doctor so he will fill in the med cert for free when he renew the competition boxers licenses for 2014. 

Howey: From the E-mail I recived a couple of days ago: 

"Send the document to

maratona@maratonadiroma.it

or by fax

The last dead line is 10 ° March, after you’ll go in the “Pending”."

• Cheers Stockholm . My registration is now complete.image

How's everybody's training going? I'm following the runners world sub 3.15 program and managing to stick to it. I missed out on sub 3.15 last time by 72 seconds ,which hurt. I forgot the .2 bit when I got to 25 miles and thought i'd cracked it. This time I certainly won't but at the moment I'm not quite as fit as I was then but hopefully with a good month left I can get up there.

i'm also doing London 3 weeks later but doubt that'll be anything near that time as I need longer to recover.

we are traveling to Rome on the Wednesday evening and flying home Sunday evening. I don't intend to sit around resting either. Rome is far too beautiful not to see it all.

• Good news for those of you who want to see the football: Lazio-AC Milan is now rescheduled to 20.45 on sunday evening. image

• Ah, sounds like Paris....not what you need in the twilight miles eh! Will run with my own lucozade then. Don't mind just want to run my last few long runs with a bottle bobbing around in my waist pack to get used to it being there.

Training going ok (touch wood), am aiming for sub 4:15 and following a cross between a personal asics plan and the RW sub 4:15 plan. Ouch 72 seconds, 3 minutes was bad enough in Paris image

• Not long to go now, tummy bug cleared up and almost back to 100% excited now!
  • Last sleep before the big day, have a good race everyone
  • That's it. Reached my goal of going under 3:40 with about two minutes. Has so far received three (!) different times from the website but now the timekeeping system seems to have decided that I finished in 3:38:04, even though my watch showed 3:38:36. A bit too much difference according to me but it is the official time that counts.

It was not easy to run in Rome. The course was pretty difficult with a lot of turns, cobblestones and elevation changes. The weather was also moody with showers and sunshine alternately and partly strong winds.

The organization was far from flawless. That the start was delayed with five minutes due to technical problems is acceptable, as well as the fact that my finish time has fluttered between 3:37:57 and the last 3:38:04 (That´s 3:38 anyway so no problem). Worse was the chaos at the refreshment stations. Some were only manned by two persons, where one poured energy drink into cups from a 1,5 litre bottle and the other handed the cup, while 15-20 persons tried to grab it.

It may also be noted that it is hard to run the marathon. I had a deep dip between 39 and 41 km and felt that I wanted to quit the race, but I made a comeback during the last km with some mental will and a long downhill. But when you walked through the finish area, overshadowed by The Colloseum while The Triumphal March was played over and over again, it was definitely worth the effort.

How was anybody else doing? image

• Finished in 4:31. Getting to the Expo was my biggest challenge. You'd think there'd be signs as you come out of the metro station. I didn't think the cobbles caused any issues really. The drinks stations were a pain, more because runners stopped and stood drinking at the tables ????.

There also seemed a lot of corner cutting. Keeping your eyes open for Kamakazi grannies crossing the course also kept me focused.

All in all a great first full marathon experience.
  • MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Just posted in the other Rome mara thread.

Unfortunately did not reach my goal but that was expected from the start due to injury i was carrying. Made a good start and i was fine until 25K when the wheels started to come off and the good old calf started to have a serious conversion with me. tried by best to to ignore it but would not have it the other way so caved in around 28K. It was a struggle from their onwards and got to the end just under 4:20, extremely annoyed and p*ssed off.

The dreaded cobblestone did the damage, i knew about the calf problem but my arch decided that enough was enough around 38K, at one point i wanted to take my shoes off and run bear feet but the common sense prevailed. Unsure where but at some point I almost slipped on the those large metal thingies appeared on the roads from nowhere, don’t think they were drain covers, bloody dangerous if you ask me.

Yeah saw the commotion at the water stations but I always went for the last one, experience suggest that never go for the first station but must admit the stations were plenty and no shortage to fluids.

All is all fantastically organised event, gorgeous goody bag, did not like the medal.

Expo:

I went to Expo on Sat-day, massive queue, it was like going for a concert, anyway once you got in it was smooth and quite entertaining too, lots of freebies

Conclusion

Defiantly worth doing.