Is this allowed ?

Comments

• Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

He is a dickhead. It's interesting how many of the comments in this story just think it's "awesome" and can't see anything wrong with winning in this way. It shows a lot of ignorance and lack of understand of this sport and sport in general. 

I hear ya Sussex ........ I hear ya .......

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cannot even believe people are debating this.

If you're not entered for a race, how can you win it?

• Well, she was entered if the race director said she was. But I think we've established that he was a dickhead.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Heh - running 7 miles over distance before you realised seems a little unlikely to me, but if she ran the distance, then fair enough.

It's certainly more allowable than that Brighton marathoner, who not only missed a turn, but missed an entire loop, before hopping a fence after a breather, carrying on and claiming a laughably unrealistic PB. I see she's been going really well since too... image

DF3 ran an epic investigation into that one. It seemed only Seren Nos backed the woman in question.

The half way point in 1hr 50 or so...and final result of 3.23.  But that was just because the chips went wrong right?

Well, what about the other marathons she'd done being way slower...Well, obviously they weren't flat out.

But what about no photos of her in the loop people suspect she missed out? Erm....photographer missed her?

• The winning athlete wasn't a cheat. A genuine mistake but I wouldn't be there kissing my medal if I knew that I shouldn't have won. She should step down and let the real winner have the medal. 

As Stevir G says, it should even be a debate.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I know  a local race that doesn't even award prizes to people who sign up on the day!

Let alone mid race!

• I don't get your argument kk about everyone expecting a medal at the end ?

Nobody has mentioned goody bags etc.

The winner isn't a cheat - but she can't be the real winner as she hadn't entered the race. The race director has got himself into this situation. The 2nd place lady must feel a bit annoyed.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I know a guy who came 2nd in a marathon, but the original winner was disqualified for some error in his entry form, meaning he was upgraded to winner.

Massively gutting for him bearing in mind he'd put in a quality marathon performance, but without rules what's the point?

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

I don't agree with this as I think you should run the race you enter.  I can't believe having admitted wearing headphones it was allowed.  

I think she was trying it on having entered the half realised there was no competition and decided to carry on.        

In poker this would be a "cooler" hand.  You start behind, improve your hand but don't know you're still behind until the cards are flipped at the end.

• Its so unfair! fine if she wanted to finish the race but its unfair for her to get the prize.

Some many comment say how awesome the story is and how awesome she is etc etc, what about the poor woman who came second, who for 26miles kept her head in the game staying close to the front and then pushing ahead towards the end etc, and getting that really good feeling towards the finishing line thinking she's come first (that's assumed- I've never come first in a race!), only to be told someone who had entered the half has finished the full and would be given the medal (which in the last however many metres the 2nd place woman was sure would be hers?)!

That's sentence really needs more full stops... Or try reading it in one breath to check your lung capacity!
  • Toro wrote (see)

I don't agree with this as I think you should run the race you enter.  I can't believe having admitted wearing headphones it was allowed.  

Canadian rules don't ban headphones unless you are in a championship race and being competitive.

I think her main concern was would she get a qualifying time for Boston if she finished and the RD said he'd sign off on it, that I'd say would be reasonable, everything else should've been hushed up and ignored and the win go to the lady who actually entered the race.

• marshallini - yep, the RD probably didn't realise she was going to win when he okayed it!

Laine - don't worry, the second lady is unlikely to have ever thought she was going to win, even if she should have done: too many people around at the start to reliably work out which were half and which full marathon ladies. Then if you are a woman and you are coming in about the top 5, spectators and marshalls call out your position as you run past later in the race. There'll have been people yelling '2nd lady' at her for several miles before the end (unless she was further back and managed to overtake some, of course). If they're really helpful they'll also tell you how far ahead the next lady is.

• literatin wrote (see)

marshallini - yep, the RD probably didn't realise she was going to win when he okayed it!

Laine - don't worry, the second lady is unlikely to have ever thought she was going to win, even if she should have done: too many people around at the start to reliably work out which were half and which full marathon ladies. Then if you are a woman and you are coming in about the top 5, spectators and marshalls call out your position as you run past later in the race. There'll have been people yelling '2nd lady' at her for several miles before the end (unless she was further back and managed to overtake some, of course). If they're really helpful they'll also tell you how far ahead the next lady is.

Wow, is that what happens at the front?  I can give good descriptions of the action at the back of the field...'hurry up the sweeper is just behind you', for example.

• Well, not necessarily the actual front. If you were close enough to the front you'd be able to see the lady ahead! image

• When marshalling I have on occaision called out to the first few ladies so they know where they are, but I always shout encouragement to runners anyway.

As a runner I am normally asked "are you the last one".

• I once did a race where the RD pointed at me and said follow him, he knows the way. Guess who took a wrong turn.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, does it get irritating for the leading woman, having every goon shouting "first lady" at them all way round

"I KNOW" would be the expected response!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Just wondering, does it get irritating for the leading woman, having every goon shouting "first lady" at them all way round

"I KNOW" would be the expected response!

Nah, we lap it up. More useful to know if you are second, third or fourth though.

• I usually get annoyed by having to breathe in the fumes from the lead vehicle, but at least I have a big clock to watch along the way.

• Surely you're more worried about being run over by the sweep car?

• Last time it was just me and Pooh Bear sitting in the car ........ how embarrassing.

• "Embassasing", "elipses" - don't you just it hate it when sarcasm backfires? imageimage

• Pooh Bear??? Is that Alan Lawrence? Snowmaiden's dad? Can't remeber his Brighton marathon name

• Ouch, now now Sussex, you know the rule about using namesimage

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Mr A nonymous wrote (see)

Last time it was just me and Pooh Bear sitting in the car ........ how embarrassing.

Very embassasing that you can't use elipses. Damn, don't you hate the Internet.

I'd forgotten you had a real  issue with using .......... in my posts.

So just so there is no interpretation issues, tell me again exactly when and what (how many dots) I can use when it comes to ellipses.