Is this allowed ?

13»

Comments

• An ellipsis should only ever be three dots.  To be fair, I can see someone understanding the number of dots to indicate the length of a pause and therefore adding more dots, but that's technically wrong.

On the other hand, kk pulling you up on it has more to do with a snidey side-swipe about someone else's typing habits rather than yours, I would wager.  image

Excellent thread derailing, BTW.

• Well to be fair, I only derailed the thread because everyone already knows the lady should not have been allowed to compete in the marathon, let alone win it. So there is nothing further to discuss on the matterimage

• I think to be fair it is difficult to understand the change in approaches to racing when you are at the frontend. When I run a race I run my own race, if I finish 110th or 109th it does not really matter because apart from some petty "can I catch that one in front" I am not really racing other runners.

I would guess at the front it is different you are not just racing yourself but people around you. If you think you have a lead but there is someone way in front that you did not know was there then it is not fair. Feel sorry for the runner who did well but really if you had the potential to win a race then you should have entered it.

• If she had any morals she would have taken the qualifying time for New York or Boston or whatever marathon it is she wanted to enter, but she would have declined 'winning' the race. Sometimes its not just about what you can get away with but what is right. She knows that if you are competing for a win, its only fair your competitors can actually see you so they know who they are racing against.

• quote function has dissappeared agin for me...........image

n ellipsis should only ever be three dots.  To be fair, I can see someone understanding the number of dots to indicate the length of a pause and therefore adding more dots, but that's technically wrong.

On the other hand, kk pulling you up on it has more to do with a snidey side-swipe about someone else's typing habits rather than yours, I would wager.  image

Excellent thread derailing, BTW.

not sure what you could mean Phil...............but I like Mr A's style of writing even if it does make him illiterate and makes it impossible for any intelligent person to understand what he is trying to writeimage

• You could just do what Harold Pinter did:

(pause)

(silence)

By his rules a silence was twice as long as a pause.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Heh!  Predictable RW thread derails...

Something about a race... something about food

Something about a race... something about grammar

• There also needs to be something about sex - or it isn't a proper derailment image

(pause)

(silence)

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Apt though, given the original subject matter.

Someone enters an argument about a race and ends up trying to win an argument about grammar.

There are no winners here though.

• For the record, I think the second lady in Ontario should have been given the winner's prize.  At the start, everyone needs to know who they are racing against.

Before it degenerated into a discussion on dots this thread reminded me about what happened at the Bacchus a few weeks ago.  At that two-lap event (great marshals, fun course, shots of wine and some silly costumes) they start the half marathon one hour after the start of the marathon.  On the second lap, the leading marathoners got caught up in the traffic of people in the half race and it got a bit messy.  I was third from the second mile but organiser Events to Live somehow picked up the time of a half marathoner as third and read his name out at the prizegiving.  In front of assembled family and friends I was denied what would've been my first podium which we'd waited two hour in the rain for.  Funnier was that they made a hash of the ladies winner too, also giving it to a half marathoner.  But that person actually accepted the prize for a race she knew she didn't do!

I'm still waiting for my prize, by the way.   If anyone from Events to Live is reading this, you have my address.

• Ally,

Thank you for the feedback above.  We've e-mailed you twice regarding your prize, the first of those on 9th September, so just await your response so we can get your prize to you.

We rely very heavily on the chip timing company to provide accurate data for the prizes and are constantly working with them to ensure the integrity of the results.  As you can imagine, we are as frustrated as you are that there are occasional anomalies.  Chip timing is not faultless and I often long for the good old days of pen and paper results.

• How similar is this to an over 40 woman coming first in a mixed race when only one prize is awarded to each winner.

She gets a prize for being winner, but no prize for being winner of woman's catagory or women's v40. 

• Not very similar, I don't think, Tim. Not all races have category prizes. Some races don't have any prizes at all.

• Not very similar but a worthwhile story. I've been in a situation like that and it can be frustrating when you've not only waiting for ages but worked your guts off to get a trophy only for someone else to take it. How could someone except a trophy for a race they neither entered or ran? Organisers can take some of the blame but surely runners should be honest too!!

• when i got to the finish line of the sleepwalker race last year the organisers told me I was first lady......

I knew that there were several women in front of me at the last checkpoint so i told the organisers that they were wrong......

it took me a while to realise that they had all taking different routes back to the finish and i had chosen the best one for the conditions.....

can't understand anyone taking a prize that they knew they were not entitled to

• Happychap - thanks for the reply.  I've send you a message.

TimR - I think usually the prizes are tiered and sometimes you only get the best one for the broadest category rather than cleaning up them all across all categories. 

• "The Ally of Not Enough Hills" - I dont know if this means anything to you, but to me you'll always be Mr 3rd Place.

• I'm guessing it won't mean much to him. I got a third place last weekend and was well chuffed. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The 11 year old me was a bit like the woman in the story.

The scene was the county 100metres championship.

I'd been ludicrously selected, despite not even being within the fastest 5 in my own school, let alone top 8 in the county.

Race starts, I trail in miles behind the mostly black kids field of giants.

Yet somehow I'm given 1st place!

I strolled around milking it showing everyone.

Until they realised it wasn't the midget skinny white kid, it was one of the 6ft very muscular black kids who'd won!

• Who then beat you up afterwards right Stevie?