Berlin Marathon 2014

Comments

• Looking for any info on accomodation! First abroad marathon so looking to get hotel and flights booked asap! Easyjet fly Liverpool - Berlin but flights not available to book yet! 

• To those of you successful in the ballot, well done, Berlin is a fantastic race in a great city.

On the topic of the ballot though, I've written very critically of Berlin's decision to move to a ballot system (http://www.myrunninglife.co.uk/berlin-marathon-moves-to-ballot-lottery-entry/). I've been in touch with the organisers and drawn their attention to it, but am trying to mount pressure on them to change the decision for 2015. If you're of a like mind on this one, come over and share your views.
  • Strunner, good luck with that! I can only guess they had a consultation on moving from open to balloted entry, for me a 2:1 ballot is pretty fair and as a world major I'm sure this ration will continue to increase. good luck on your campaign.

• It did sell out in, what, 3 hours last year? I went online the day entries opened (by coincidence.... it went something like,

1. I enjoyed Berlin in 2008, hey I might do it next year
    2. Entries should be open by now, I would think
    3. Go to website, find that entries had in fact opened that very day
    4. ... and had sold out before lunch
    5. .... start googling other flat German marathons...

Not sure what else they could do really. They handle it a lot better than London, who have a limit on ballot entries and then doubly slow the process down by insisting on taking payment details upon ballot entry rather than getting a successful draw.

• Anybody heard yet of anyone on the waiting list after the ballot getting another email to award them a place? My running partner is waiting!!

His 'Sorry' email talked about notification between 12th & 15th Nov. Seems a narrow window given that the process of working their way down the waiting list must surely uncover other original applicants who no longer wish to confirm (pay for!) participation?

• My boyfriend is the same. I got a place and he never. He can come along and hold my stuff if he doesn't get a place in the next round .....
  • Received my offer under lucky loser today so I am in providing I pay up on time. To be honest I had completely forgotten about it and the e-mail put a good end to an otherwise bad day.

• My mate has got an unlucky first-time place too!! Happy Days.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

I'm a lucky loser and so's my Mum! Just waiting for Brother to find out for Team Toro to go mad in Berlin!

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Question: does anyone know if you can defer later for any reason or injury? I want to run but don't know work commitments Yet. No sign of anything on website. 

• I'm definately not in so looks like Liverpool for me, good luck guys image

• I'm in!  image  

This will be my second marathon, but my first in Berlin.  I've had a look for flights from Easyjet and Jet2, but they don't seem to be available yet.  Does anyone who has done this race previously have any flight and accommodation tips that they would be willing to share?

• Accommodation - google "wohnung am zeit" - you can often hire flats for a few days, which is a bit nicer, particularly if you want to carb load. 

For afterwards - the zoo is a nice place (and this is not always true of zoos) ... there are boat trips up and down the river (lots of sitting down) or the Berlin Unterwelt tours if you like, well, bunkers and grim modern history and being laughed at as you go down the stairs sideways. Also IIRC one of the regular bus routes goes past pretty much all the sights.

I didn't get in and .. well I guess I could get a sports tour place but actually I quite fancy Athens. Or Snowdonia. Or both! Or.... 

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I got a place with 2nd chance lottery, did it in 2012 

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

I just got my email offering me a second chance place. Woo hoo! Third time for me in Berlin!  plenty of hotels in an around the city. Just check expedia or similare website for cheap rates. Metro is real easy to use to get to the start. This is a great race!

• I did this race last year as my first ever marathon and really enjoyed it. Stayed at Hotel BelAhr am Potsdamer Platz in a one-bed apartment. About a 10-15 minute walk to the start, lots of restaurants around and quite easy to get to the Expo to pick up my number as well (try to go on the Friday though), so couldn't ask for more really.

Good luck to you all.

• I've run Berlin 5 times and always stayed in one of the Ibis hotels, cheap as chips, not much room to swim a cat in the room but comfortable and clean. What more do you need than somewhere to sleep and somewhere to wash? You're going to be out the rest of the time!

• If they still do the breakfast run on the day before, do go, it's just a slow jog to the Olympic Stadium and then free breakfast. Nice way to get the legs moving a bit before the big day.

• Thanks for the tips guys!  I've managed to book my flights with Easyjet as they are now available to book.  Thought I had better do it before the prices shoot up!

• Just booked my flights with Easyjet.  Bit of a rip-off (isn't it always!) cos the flights on Friday 26th are treble the price of pretty much every other day!  I wonder why ....  Anyway, I'm all booked for flights and accommodation, yippee!  I'm glad I'm doing an autumn marathon this year, done a spring one for the last three years but really would not have enjoyed hard training in this bloody awful weather.  Got my first race of the season next Sunday (a wee very hilly 12.5k), then a half marathon in the middle of March.  After that I'll see what else I can find.  I will get sub-4, I will get sub-4, I will get sub-4!  

• Easyjet from Soutthend Airport decided to change their schedule the second half of September, they won't fly to Berlin on the Friday now, ended up having to fly Thursday and booking an additional night. Oops! Extra night of playing tourist anyway image

Diogo, i'm heading the sub 4 route too. Good Luck

• Thanks Tortoise, good luck to you too.
  • Hi guys,

Behind the curve as ever, I've just checked the Berlin Marathon website and appreciate that all places are now sold out.

Anybody know if there are any places available with Brit charidees?

Thanks

R.

• Just so you all know, it's currently 25 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours and 23 mins til kick off - yikes! Time to start panicking yet?
  • I have a quick question; I submitted my PB time when entering the Berlin Marathon but I have now took 10minutes off that time which would move me into a different starting corral. Is it possible to update my time for Berlin?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You'll go straight to hell for that

• Hi There. Running Berlin this year. Had a mini nightmare with a stupid injury but training now. Done 8 before with the furthest away being in Jersey. Flying from Birmingham to Amsterdam then the City Hopper to Berlin. Staying in a hotel next to Berlin Zoo which seems near to the start. Ant tips or advice. Think walking to the start seems easy. Doing Paris also in April. Hoping for a good time in Paris but just want to run well and enjoy Berlin.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

public transport in Europe is nothing like uk, Berlin has trains every couple of minutes, it's so easy to get around you just don't think about it. I've no transport over or hotels booked yet, looking at a 3 45.

Just join the faster coral, I doubt they'll even notice. Corals are important in Berlin though because it's so busy and crowded you don't want to get caught out in a slower or faster group.