Berlin Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi. Good advice. Heard its very crowded. Oh and the wfe getting lost when I am running lol

• If they are still doing it, join in the breakfast run on Saturday, nice little warm up for the real thing and free eats/drinks at the stadium finish. Berlin is my favourite marathon, I ran it 5 times.

The only down side to Berlin, which is a great city, is the eateries, expensive and not very good. If still there, one of the best places to eat is near to Checkpoint Charlie, it's a restaurant doing Indian and German food. Avoid the Hard Rock Cafe at all costs, it's exorbitantly expensive and the portions aren't large.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

one thing I didn't like was the waiters practically begging for a tip! They should respect that it's our culture to only tip good service and not automatically.

• I am running Berlin but have an extra entry going spare. My husband has a health condition that has worsened and is exacerbated by running. He has decided to hang up his trainers!

We will go to the Expo to pick up both bibs, chips etc but only I am running. Entry was 98 euros, plus 6.00 for the rental chip. Any takers?

• Hajolli2, definitely! My partner didn't get a place and he's desperate to run. Email me please at mags.w@blueyonder.co.uk. Cheers. X
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭

If I remember they send you off in separate sections in the Berlin Marathon. I think they did last time I did it, anyway.

One thing that is worth noting is that at the Expo they always put the number pickup right at the back and you literally have to fight your way through the exhibition to get there (and fight your way back). Give it plenty of time and try to avoid the Saturday. On the plus side at the Tempelhof where the Expo is held, you can see the memorial to the 1948-49 Berlin Airlift. Sensitively commemorated, moving and well worth seeing. 

• Hi,

I have a spare ticket for this years race, unfortunately I have back surgery in 2 weeks and have not been able to train for a while. Have been holding out hoping that I could somehow fit in the required training but finally I realise this will not be possible!

In any case if you would be interested in buying this from me please let me know by responding to this post. The ticket cost £98 plus a £6 booking fee.

Cheers,

Alex

• Hi all, just joined this thread, doing Berlin for the first time, but my 4th marathon and hoping for a sub 4!

just wondering about corals, I didn't say on my application form what time I was expecting to finish in, is there a system in place anyone know Please?

We're flying from jersey to Birmingham then to Berlin the next day, but going for a week the idea being that if I am injured etc and can't run at least we'll have a holiday.

hope everyone's training is going well  image

• @ Alex Bradshaw - is the ticket still available? If so please drop me an email at timrobertson0122@hotmail.com - thanks!

• Hi Everyone,

Using my husbands account so ignore the photo, Berlin will be my third marathon after Paris and London, hoping the course is as quick as they say as London was not good for getting a time.

Exhausted - thanks for the info on the number collection as we fly in on the Saturday so straight to the Expo to get the ticket.

Cannot remember but are there pace makers?

Sarah

• 8 weeks to go! Only just got up to 15 miles in training....

Though looking at the intermediate trainging plan on here I'm not to far behind though according to that I should have done atleast one 20 mile run by now! Ah well, felt ok after the 15 miles and could've carried on for a while longer so aiming for 17 miles this sunday. 20 the next?

First marathon and to be honest all this training is really heavy going. Currently doing 3 x 8 miles and a long run per week. Grit teeth and get through it I guess!

How is everyone elses training going?

• CP31, you're at the same stage as me. I've done three marathons before - Edinburgh, Liverpool and Brighton. My PB is 4:00:32, which was awful as I was aiming for sub 4. Picked Berlin due to it being a flat fast course so gave me the best chance of sub 4. However I'm a police officer based in Scotland and all our days off were cancelled during the Commonwealth Games and I was working ridiculously long hours. I've basically done absolutely zero exercise at all for the past 16 days, when I should have been heading into peak training period. I'll try and pick it up a bit now but won't be in the shape I want to be. Just going to try and enjoy it and not put any pressure on myself. If I can get in under 4:30:00 now I'll be quite happy. Good luck with the rest of your training.
  • Hi CP31, my initial thoughts were 'goodness that's lots of running!' but I suppose it depends on your starting point.

At the moment  I do one 8 miler or so a week plus one long run of around 14 miles this week which will gradually increase as the weeks go by, and then the rest is made of up hill work, speed work, cycling and swimming. If this is your first marathon should you be doing the intermediate plan - especially if you're finding it tough going and we still have 8 weeks left!  Slow and steady may be better, but as I said it's only my own thoughts and I'm not experienced - Berlin will be my 4th marathon and like Diogodog I really want a sub 4!

Any ideas about the corals anyone please - can't remember if I put a finishing time on my form (went though an agency ages ago).........

Happy training everyone!

• Jelleybaby, did you run Brighton in 2013? I seem to recall a Jellybaby on that forum.
  • I did indeed DiogoDog and I recall your name as well!

Hope you've recovered from the Games - I appreciate it must have been hard work but was it a great time as well?image

• Diogo, 16 days off now must be so disheartening! Still, 8 weeks left so some time to go and you won't really lose much fitness in a couple of weeks. What was your training like before?

Jelly, yeh it was the intermediate plan I was looking at. It's my first full marathon but I've been running for a few years now and have done a few halfs and have been slowly building the weekday mileage up. It's just now with the really long weekend run, always used to only be about 10 miles, I'm finding it harder recovering from that to then get back into the weekday runs iyswim. I know it'll be worth the effort though!

Oh and aiming for 4 1/2 hours round so not exactly fast, just to get round would be amazing!

• Only another 14 miles this sunday after only two 8 milers during the week, though three or four of sundays miles were into a stupidy strong headwind. Did five laps of the park and the last lap felt so tough, just kept telling myself "Well if you can't even to another lap of the park you're going to be buggered for the marathon!" So I beat the mental battle and got through it which is encouraging!

How's everyone else doing?

• CP31, if it helps, I struggle with most of my long runs and absolutely dread them in advance of doing them. I actually spend a lot of time wondering why I run marathons, and during the race itself I tell myself 'never again', but I'm onto my fourth now (not counting one I did all the training for but fell ill with horrendous flu the week before it and couldn't run on the big day - totally gutted!).

My suggestion to you would be to try and find a route that doesn't involve laps because it's so tempting to stop after maybe five laps if the plan was to do seven etc. I drive to a route that's eleven miles away from my house because it's a nice flat run (with supermarkets and toilets every so often!), and there are no shortcuts so it forces me to do my full planned distance. I know a girl who gets the train to a stop 20 miles away and runs back. A variety of routes really helps alleviate the boredom. Keep it up though, we've really only got another four weeks of hard running before the taper starts.

JelleyBaby, how did you get on at Brighton 2013? I was aiming for sub 4 and got a soul-destroying 4:00:32. Was gutted for weeks! I'm in nowhere near that shape now so I'm planning on not putting any pressure on myself and just enjoying the atmosphere. Hopefully I won't get caught by the sweeper bus ha ha! The worst bit is, I didn't even get to see any of the Commonwealth Games, I was generally patrolling the streets around the venues. Atmosphere was good though, and everybody seemed to enjoy it. How's your training going?
  • Morning Diogo, I wasn't too dissapointed at all with Sundays run. It had been a long weekend (camping just me and my three kids under 5!) so I knew I was pretty tired anyway. Beating the mental battle was actually quite reassuring. It's the first time I've ever done 'laps' of anything so was actually a bit of a change. You're right tho, the start of the lap was only half a mile or so from home and it was so tempting just to stop. I usually do one lap then out into the countryside so I have no choice but to run back. Much nicer.

Getting flu the week before must be aweful!

• hi all, just wondering whether anyone had received any further comms from the organisers? I've had nothing since my registration confirmation - which might be fine, am just used to being bombarded with emails by this point and it seems eerily silent, especially compared to Copenhagen last year who seemed to email on a weekly basis from about six months out!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Last contact I had was an e-mail newsletter on 26th June.  I'm taking the lack of correspondence as a positive sign of German efficiency (crude but complimentary national stereotype).  

...oh, and I've actually gone back and read the e-mail this time.  There was an invitation to sign up to further newsletters about training tips and what-not, but I guess they'll send further instructions anyway.

• Great, cheers. If I still haven't heard anything by the end of the month then I'll drop them a note but until then an assumption of supreme Teutonic competence will be held.

• Hello! I ran Berlin in 2009 and would really like to do it again. I'm in Berlin on that weekend and was wondering if there are any spare numbers going? Or if anyone knew of a way to get into the race at this late stage?

• Thanks Stephen. Which charity place was 158 euros? 

• Hey Smurf,

I just booked myself - the price was 158 and the 60 euros go to a children's heart charity.  I'm so chuffed, I really wanted this but didn't get a place early on in the year.  And it's around Oktoberfest...

RR

• Hi five!

I'm booking in the same hostel (but the central one) that I did when I went last year - the Generator.  I'm thinking making it into a week long affair. 

This'll be my first marathon abroad, should I sight-see first, and then run? Or should I run and then cry as I drag my sorry **** around Berlin.  I've not done any of the museums yet...

Oooh exciting!

• I am doing Berlin this year. Shant bore everyone to death but had knee surgery three weeks ago. Managed to run 40 miles this week with a 13 this morning. I shall attempt 15 midweek then a 20 5 days later. Keep expecting to see the surgeon drive past shaking his head. Hope everyone has a great run. I am staying next to Berlin Zoo. Flying via Amsterdam. Probably do the breakfast run the morning before.