Berlin Marathon 2014

Comments

• I emailed them yesterday and just received this:

"Hi, we send the confirmation in the next days by e-mail."

So, don't worry!

• Got my start card email this afternoon. Getting close now - yikes!!!
  • Mine dropped into my inbox about an hour after posting up. 

• Received my 'final details' confirmation from the travel agents this am, but no email confirmation yet from the marathon. The travel agent says to contact them if I haven't received it but I think I'll wait till Monday and then if still no confirmation I'll contact the travel agents again.

Got hills and steps tonight - but a the moment it's just too hot!! Sorry not boasting just stating what it's like here today.

Aiming for 22 on Sunday trying to replicate everything marathon style - including the day before meals (avoiding milk and other dairy and fibre image).

DiogoDog - well done for your long run - time on the feet is really important image

• This is all getting very exciting.  I can feel some silly questions coming on...

Does anyone know if there are mile markers on the course?  I'm gonna take 5km splits anyway, but might set the Garmin to miles since I've been training that way.  Then I can take my mind off the torture by confusing my tiny mind with awkward metric/imperial conversions on the way round.  image

• The only km/miles I know are 10km, 5km and 20km!! So, I'm in miles on my Garmin and will keep an eye on that - I simply cannot do km's either speed or distance.

Not sure if there will be mile markers I suspect not PhilPub.

Info re travel stops if anyone needs it:

Nearest stops for public transport are U55 stop Bundestag, U6 stop Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse for the underground and S-Bahn: Hauptbahnhof S3,S5, S75 and Unter den Linden/brandenburger Tor S1,S2 S25, all other trains Hauptbahnhof.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Has anyone else failed to book flights yet?!

• All right Toro!  Yesterday I printed off a pace band for 5k splits based on a time of 2:32:00.  This may or may not be revised after Sunday's Maidenhead Half Marathon.  image

You?

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Wow nice.  I am hoping for a more sedate sub 2:45.  I want to follow https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=10&hh=00&mm=34&ss=45&bt=188&un=K&th=MARCO&pg=Exec this pacing.  I'm feeling strong and my HR has been good it will just be down to endurance again as I don't think I've done enough long runs.  I have followed P&D up to 55.  

Looking for a PB at Cardiff 10K on Sunday and a solid long run on Monday to set me up.  Good luck!

• Nice race times being predicted!

I've got my start card too, but my son hasn't yet. He went through a travel company too.

I did my last long run yesterday too but it was only 27.67km - it will have to do, I will save the hanging in there for the marathon.

DiogoDog - are you sure that you weren't dehydrated? Or just not fueled properly.

• Toro - sedate 2.45???  Good for you image

Still no start card but I'll leave it till tomorrow and contact the travel company if not here.

Managed 21.2 miles this am in 3.15 - should have been 22 but my knee was seriously sore (long term issues). Hopefully I can speed up a bit in Berlin. Stomach problems seem to have been resolved - no milk; fibre; fruit the day before and almond milk on my porridge this am with some imodium just to be safe! Now eating lots of fruit image   Very hot today though I went out at 8.30 to try to replicate race day hope it cools off a bit.

Hope the races went well today Toro and PhilPub (and anyone else racing). Not long now....  image 

Happy training everyone!

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Jellley - Sedate to PP's 2:32!  May have to pop over sub 3 and see how he did!  I got injured for London and looking here was making me ill not being at the standard I wanted to be so had a break.  

35:23 - PB @ Cardiff 10K - different course due to NATO summit (hillier).  1st home for team and won the corporate team prize which was fantastic.  2:45 is to be played for I think.   

• Jelleybaby - Good work! Enjoy the taper.

Toro - Congrats on the PB. 2:45 very doable!

Very pleased with my 2nd place at the Maidenhead HM today, 1:12:37 narrowly outside my PB but I'm happy to confirm my 2:32 target after that. I might even laminate my pace band, no going back then.  image

• Wow congrats guys great running!

Still no email from Berlin so email the travel company to let them know.

Is Berlin course really flat or are there some 'inclines' not especially bothered as I do practise hills but it's nice to be forewarned!

Just back from pilates session which was fine considering the miles yesterday - better than I thought.  Now off to work!

• From stalking the Berlin forum the last few months a lot of you are clearly aiming for savage times. My goal for the year was to go sub-3 in Berlin but I have had a mixed season so now wobbling a bit on the idea! 

• Jelleybaby wrote (see)

Wow congrats guys great running!

Still no email from Berlin so email the travel company to let them know.

Is Berlin course really flat or are there some 'inclines' not especially bothered as I do practise hills but it's nice to be forewarned!

Just back from pilates session which was fine considering the miles yesterday - better than I thought.  Now off to work!

Its about as flat a course as its possible to be, I've done it 3 times I cant remember any inclines, ramps etc. 20 days to go...

• Blockbuster, that sounds good to a first time marathon runner like myself!

Finally got to go out running again today after a week off...8 miles flew past (as it should by now with a week off) barely felt it. Still want to do a 19+ miler before the big event though, just for the confidence boost.

Mark - Sub 3 sounds 'savage' to me!

• Blockbuster - thanks for that! Feel reassured.

Received my Start card so now feeling rather anxious  as well as excited - yikes only 20 days left. Pleased I've done a long run, now I've got a hard week of shorter runs 6, 10 and 13 miles plus a hill session during the rest of this week, then tapering begins     image

• Toro, you should be good for 2:45. I have a similar 10k and broke 2:45 at London.

Tapering now. I hate taper.

• I feel bad about tapering because my training has been so crappy I don't feel I've earned it, and I certainly don't feel tired. have e all sorted out our pre race dinners? it gets very busy in all the pasta places if that's your bag, may be worth trying to book in somewhere. Hold on I don't have a booking better get onto it now

Anyone run Barcelona? is it worth it? don't fancy Paris again for my spring mara looking for options and Barcelona looks ok

• I only know other people who have done Barcelona, but rave about it.  Easy to get to, good organisation, nice size race.  I'd be a little concerned about the possibility of hot weather but other than that wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

I'm pretty flexible on pre-race dinner.  My carb-load window is Friday lunchtime to Saturday morning, so the night before is whatever I fancy really.  (Nothing spicy!) 

• thanks Phil I may give Barcelona a go as its March may be lucky with temperature, but I'm used to it always seeming to be hot on race day. Berlin 2009 was crazy something like 25 on the day.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Ok that's positive and good to know Spirun/PP.  Yes well done PP on 2nd, I saw that - nice. I followed that with a P&D 20 miler on Monday which was good for pace.  Might book some flights I suppose! 

• Blockbuster wrote (see)

thanks Phil I may give Barcelona a go as its March may be lucky with temperature,

I did the Lisbon HM 2 years ago in March and it was really hot!! Something like high 20's lots of people collapsed on the pavements etc! We'd had a cold winter so a real shock to the system.

• Sorry for the above quote got bit carried away, must be all this running image

• I don't fancy collapsing on the pavement! Average temp is meant to be much lower that time of year per website saying 12. undecided but missed out on Brighton places, Paris is off so need a spring mara, may just risk it.

• 16.5 done today in some pretty hot weather (especially for Scotland!). Felt it a bit, hoping for much cooler on race day. That's my last long one done, got a 12 miles next week, then a nine after that. Oh the relief! Happy days
  • Did  my last long run of 13 today - struggled a bit - old, arthritic knee not appreciating the long run last week, but never mind!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the lovely weather we're still having - I'd like it a bit cooler for Berlin though I think - 13 this morning was not good without water! image