Ironman 70.3 UK 2014

1235»

Comments

• Thanks calf, was shocked when I checked my times online, vaguely heard the commentator shouting something about 40 min swims when I was going into T1 but just didn't register it in my mind, I will hopefully be back next just need to up my game and aim for a sub 6 race. Hopefully now I know what to expect in the water I will be slightly calmer when the horn goes.
  • Does anyone know when/where the photos from the event are usually available online?

• Usually next day with FinisherPix, but they are taking a bloody age this time
  • Cheers Stanners, I thought it was FinisherPix but then when I couldn't see any mention of Exmoor on the site I thought I must have had it wrong.

• I just hoping there is one decent one of me as proof of finishing this beast of a course . Seem to be taking ages to be processed, I'll have forgotten my race number and tiredness by the time they come out 

• Finisherpix made a balls up and have listed Wimbleball as 2013! Hopefully we will see something soon!

Agree with the previous posts. Brutally hard this year due to the heat. I much prefer the cold.

I also suffered panic before on a swim. It is probably due to heightened levels of stress, heart rate, cold shock and any number of other things that go through your head when the race starts. It is best to "man-up" and get on with it though as it soon passes image. Well done Clello

• Well done everyone I found that a very tough HIM.

I found the swim a nervous affair and sticking with Stanners at the walk down helped but I don't think the lack of time in the water helped my nervous energy and I was probably a little too excited (Stanners got the brunt off that SORRY mate!). I do however agree with Wabby thou the only solution is I need to MTFU in spades and just get on with it.

Wabby, Red Stripe, Stanners and other pirates on the course cheers again for the high fives and arghhhhs they really helped get this pirate home to calmer waters and flat ground.

• Hi Guys, I thought that I would chip in as well. Really enjoyed my experience in my first ever HIM event. 

Coming from a swimming background I fortunately had a great start and managed to miss the moshpit in the water. The bike course to me was challenging but I enjoyed the very fast sections when they came around. Those climbs were a killer on the old quads. The run on the other hand didn't really go to plan as I suffered badly in the heat with cramping hamstrings from the second lap onwards. Pretty much had to do a run/walk strategy from the second lap onwards.

The support all over the course was truly amazing. If it wasn't for all the cheering in the run it would have made an already tough course tougher especially at that point for me. I crossed the line in 6 hours 31 seconds. Sooooo close to breaking 6 hours ha ha.image

My splits were.

Swim: 28.59, Bike: 3h 13m, Run: 2h 9m.

Definitely thinking of taking this beast on again in 2015 as I have unfinished business in the run. image

• there is definitely something to the cold water on the head thing that raises the heart rate.....

For those of you who swim train in a pool/gym with a sauna and plunge pool after swimming I sit in the sauna for 10 mins and then do a 60 sec dip in the cold pool to get used to that eff me its cold feeling!

• http://www.tri247.com/article_12934_Wimbleball+2014%3A+Mega+Montage+Video.html?region_id=&category=uk_ironman_70_3

Video Footage from Wimbleball many pirates seen in this and a good one of Calf and Stanners finishing, Red Stripe spotted a few times and a few others. 

Watching this you can see how hilly that run is. 

Great swim time IronPiper, I will be back for 2015 if date suit.

• thats nearly persuaded me!!!!!!

• Race Report link if anyone is interested, hope recovery is going well for everyone? Took me a good few days to get feeling in my legs back!

Wimbleball 70.3 Race Report

• Nice report Uncharted and it was a pleasure to share the experience with you. Good luck for the rest of the season mate.
  • Good race report IronPiperAl enjoyed reading it. You did very well surprised you found the 2nd long drag (timewell) easier than Pylon Hill. Yeah Pylon Hill is tough but I find timewell just goes on and on must be about 1 mile at least of good climbing. I agree with you thou Haddon hill had the repuation but it is only tough at bottom (steep bit) but isn't as long or tough as I was expecting.

Goodl luck for Wales and I will see you down their! Off for a recce this weekend to see what course is like.

• Thanks Uncharted Waters. Will definitely see you down there. Let us know how the recce goes. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts. image