Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Paul:   I am nothing like your standard but can identify in that I was 41 secs off getting gfa for 18-40 years old! I am 60 so would have been really happy!! Still amazing times tho!!

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

And need to keep reminding ourselves that this IS an AMAZING achievement no matter what the times......we are all exceptional by the fact we even go for it.....the real marathon I think is doing the training, getting to the start healthy and happy and smiling once it's over (well perhaps a little time after it's over!)

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭
    Pete Holt wrote (see)

chistian a personal thank you for helping out, it is very much appreciated. it is people like you who made the whole day so enjoyable.  image 

Hear hear ! 

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

And need to keep reminding ourselves that this IS an AMAZING achievement no matter what the times......we are all exceptional by the fact we even go for it.....the real marathon I think is doing the training, getting to the start healthy and happy and smiling once it's over (well perhaps a little time after it's over!)

• well done to all  plenty of pb's, gutted for you tish.

I managed 4.08 I started in front of the 4 pacer who came past just before 20 miles, I knew I was slowing and no way I could keep it going, so it was a run/walk last 6 miles, started getting cramp at 24. I'm still pleased I did it, so I will wear the t-shirt and medal with pride. It's still a marathon which is no mean feat. I was13 mins slower than last year but I gave it all I had on the day that's marathons for you.

It's still a good race, except water pouches and results. I don't think I'll do it again as there are other marathons. I have to reconsider the training plan and refocus on a new challenge. White Peak marathon in May for me next, no time in mind, no pressure, just for the experience.

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Paul:   I am nothing like your standard but can identify in that I was 41 secs off getting gfa for 18-40 years old! I am 60 so would have been really happy!! Still amazing times tho!!

• If it's any help time is errelivant acheavment is permanent!

Afraid having a nightmare day at work today so not had time to read up on how folks did but just quickly scanned through the thread and tishtosh hope your ok and big (((((hugs))))) mate. I mananged not to be last and think I could have done a lot better if not for needing to do some first aid stuff on some poor lass about mile 6 so happy with how it went espeally as this race was the only reason I didn't do sheffield this year.

Very well done girls and germ's. image

Thinking this has been a interesting jounary. So who's signed up for the next one? image 

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    Chrissi wrote (see)

Christian - thank you i thought all the marshalls were excellent

Bev - well done great result

Tish - hugs hope your ok

Everyone - well done no matter if you pb'd or not you are all stars

Water pouches - some of mine worked some didn't.  Some young lads just after 1 station had the knack stamping on them and covering themselves and anyone going by image

I think i went off too fast i was just behind the 5 hr pacer for about the first 5 miles but by mile 7 i had an ache all the way up the back of my right leg (old calf injury) plodded on but not comfortable.  Highlight just before (12 miles?) halfway a choir belting out Queens Don't stop Me Now a whole row of kids to high 5 and the little lad at the end dropped to his knees and air guitared me by. Felt sick out in Carrington and had to use a portaloo and struggled to run after that.  For the last 3 miles everytime i tried to run i was doubled up in agony with a stitch (i never get stitches) i was gutted. Staggered over the line in 5hrs 21 and a bit which yesterday was a disaster but today i'm happy cos i did itimage

Definately one i'd contemplate doing again

great effort Chrissi, it sounds as though you had a traumatic experience but still came home under 5:30. many would have packed it in.

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    Cake wrote (see)

If it's any help time is errelivant acheavment is permanent!

Afraid having a nightmare day at work today so not had time to read up on how folks did but just quickly scanned through the thread and tishtosh hope your ok and big (((((hugs))))) mate. I mananged not to be last and think I could have done a lot better if not for needing to do some first aid stuff on some poor lass about mile 6 so happy with how it went espeally as this race was the only reason I didn't do sheffield this year.

Very well done girls and germ's. image

Thinking this has been a interesting jounary. So who's signed up for the next one? image 

not signed up yet pal.

I would like to do Frankfurt or Chester.  Preferably Frankfurt but I will not have the spare cash until September which would leave it too fine for an October marathon so it may well have to be Chester.

• Well done to everyone. 

I really enjoyed yesterday's marathon best one yet.  I had an asthma attack at mile 14 and thought I'd be out but ran all the way ((pulled back when needed to) and got a PB of 4.32 knocked 15mins off last year so very happy. Had another attack as soon as I crossed the finish line - think that was down to it being emotional, it's the first marathon in which I've felt so emotional at the finish.  It's also the first time I didn't hit the wall - and I think that's down to the fact I kept focused after having that 1st asthma attack and knew  I had to get round,  I think it took my mind off the how many miles I had left......

Again well done xxx

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

the water pouches were wasted on me because I could barely take on any fluids owing to my stomach problem.  but the knack to them for me was to take a really big bite out of them. 

then have a slip and through it away  image

• No problem at all guys, really appreciate the thanks though but was really a pleasure. I know from personal experience how much of a boost you can get from a bit of encouragement, especially 20 miles in when you're struggling.  SB, to answer your question, the running club I'm part of has manned a station for the 3 years it's been back, but i'm pretty sure you can volunteer for others.  Oh and thanks for the best wishes for VLM, one thing yesterday did was to make me think even more about it, as if I wasn't anyway!!

• SKD-Looks like we ran similar races, knew I'd gone to far ahead of the pacer but couldn't slow it enough to let him catch up with enough left in the tank

I will learn,back to autumn halves for me. I do local races or those reachable by car so have total respect for people staying over, travelling miles etc

Pete - didn't realise you were a regular on Red Issue

Looking forward to getting back to "fun" running with no set distances or times for a couple of months

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Robin, yeah I spout rubbish for the most of the time, hence why you have not noticed me. image

• Evening all

Well done everyone,what a fantatsic day and dont think we could have asked for better race conditions

Cake-i was thinking the same thing,are we all gonna sign up for another one and start a new thread?count me inimage

Tish-hope youre ok pal,at least youre around to tell the tale

Kirsty-glad youre daughter is on the mend image

Strangely-good to meet you and fantastic pb,i looked out for you whenever i saw the 3:00 pacer but could never see you

Animal-same to you John,nice to meet you and thanks for running together,if you hadnt stopped to kiss the wife maybe we would have crossed the line together image

Ive got a photo of the 3 of us at the statue if you want it emailing?

I hit the wall at around 21miles,and the last 5 fealt like the first 21,managed to get round and reaslly pleased with my first marathon time of 3:30.50. My legs have fealt like lead all day,a few more days rest i think is required before i dare put my trainers on again!

• Well done Toni for carrying on and finishing after an asthma attack - I have asthma so I know what it's like. I'm fortunate in that it hasn't happened to me in a race but it has in training and I know what a struggle it makes it to carry on at all, let alone for another 12 miles. Amazing achievement.

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

A few people have mentioned stomach problems and this was the first run during which I felt nauseous (about mile 22) and slowed down by it.......several sites talked it being first sign of dehydration but at that point I felt I couldn't stomach anything even water....

• I didnt feel sick bev, but at around 22miles realised I'd stopped sweating and my arms had gone dry, sure sign of dehydartion kicking in

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Hope all those who had little niggles are recovering well. For me, the aching has just about gone now and managed the stairs ok this morning. I do feel absolutely exhausted though so I have no interest in getting out for a run yet.

Has anyone been out for run since Sunday ?

• Bev was that you in the fluorescent yellow top with blond hair, who scooted past me like I was in lead boots, around 14/15 miles whilst commenting on those still to reach half way, you were making it look ridiculously easy. I was quite unkempt in orange by that time. If it was you, you didn't have an hair out of place and was even looking fresh like you was out for a stroll.

Rockin, I'm with you and will learn, can't say I was under prepared, didn't think my pace was too fast to start with but the legs didn't work as instructed, up and on.

I will venture to the gym tomorrow for gentle cross training, then a jog later in the week, with a parkrun Saturday, short amble Sunday then watch VLM on the telly.

• I tried some foam rollering last night to try to get in top of my IT band - I won't lie, there might have been tears welling in the corners of my eyes!

Such horrible news about the scammers who stole the car park signs and set up a fake official marathon car park - they made £10 from everyone they conned into parking there. Got some high vis vests and directed people off the main roads to their own fake car park and then said there was an issue with the pre-paid parking system so made people pay £10 again to park and said they could claim it back from the organisers afterwards. Seemingly they made quite a packet.

Carter - I do not intend to run for quite a few days! I'm not sure my body would forgive me if I tried to go out any time soon image

My girl is much better today which is great as we're off to Butlins on Friday for a post-marathon treat/much needed family time. Would have been gutted if she's missed out on enjoying that too. No idea what it was - some hideous virus that made her delirious with a raging temp and sore throat and blisters inside her ears. image Still - amazing how well they bounce back.

I also saw Martin Yelling on the tram - in fact I directed him to the entrance to Alty Met station as there's loads of work being done to it currently. I was too shy to say hello - which is even more crazy when you realise that I live about two roads away from him back here in Poole!

Anyone know when the photos are going up?

• Not feeling too bad this morning, although probably leave it until Saturday until I'm running again and even then only 5k or so.

I found the photos by going to the Finisherpix twitter site and there's a tweet with a link to manchester marathon. Bit of a long way round but they weren't up on the MM site and Finisherpix website didn't seem to want to work when going through google. For a change there's one decent photo of me where I don't look like an extra from a horror movie and could actually pass as an athlete of sorts.

Not sure if I'll do another marathon, Might just stick to halfs, but then I said that last time! Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice, hints and tips along the way.

UTB.
  • Did this for the first time Sunday was also my first marathon, what a great day, the support was fantastic all the way round, the marshall's and the people with the sweets drinks ect were all amazing, great marathon and a great day will be back to do it again next year.

• *waves hello at a couple of familiar faces*

Fantastic running everyone, congratulations marathoners! My, my there are some very speedy finishing times on here.

I was at Manchester supporting and I've done a little post about seeing it from the other side here

(Apologies if that's a bit spammy of me....I am a regular poster here, just not on this thread and thought you might like to see just how much we enjoyed cheering you all on, you were amazing!)

Also, people were asking about the bottle of beer - unfortunately he pulled out at about mile 16.  Don't know how he got as far as he did in that costume!

• RRR - hard luck mate but you just know you'll be back for more!

Carter - Some impressive powers of recovery there.  My legs are still pretty sore to be honest but I will be out for a 4 miler tomorrow morning.  Could be a very, very slow one!!

Karl - Nice to meet you too mate and very well done, a great effort.  Just a pit about missing out on the sub 3.30 by such a small margin.  I would have been a few minutes behind the 3.00 pacer at all times as I ran even splits for 90% of the race.  I kept an eye out for you guys near the 3.30 pacer too but had trouble spotting you as well, just far too many runners.  Hope you had a great day though image

Kirsty - Very welcome news about your lass!

Tiny - Thanks and thanks to you also for the support.  I'll be honest, if you'd asked me before i'd ever ran a marathon before about how helpful the crowds would be, i'd have brushed it all aside.  How helpful can someone you don't know. shouting the name of a person they don't know out?  Well, i'd have been very wrong, it's a huge boost and you kind of want to track them all down and doff your cap to them.  I guess the best way to repay the effort is to get out there and do the same when you aren't involved yourself.  Thanks once again!

• WarrenDWarrenD ✭✭✭

Great day for me on Sunday - managed a PB of 3:01:13. Hoped for sub-3.07 for PB, dreamed of sub-3.05 for London GFA, but felt strong over last couple of miles and held my pace to run a negative split in the end. Dead surprised at the time I managed.

I wouldn't fault any of the organisation - baggage, water stations, signage, start/finish area, loos, all good for me. Enjoyed the course and thought the support was great all the way around. 

• The crowds have definitely made me rethink wearing my ipod for races rather than just for training as I didn't miss it when I took it off having started to slow, whereas for most of the HM I do, the crowds are quite sparse.

Pretty much decided to do Manchester again next year dependent on date (which will fit around Easter and United games) and will try and train with slower LSRs and get my head around running at a slower pace by time rather than how the body feels. A sub 4 would be a bonus as I still enjoyed the race this year regardless

Off out for a run tomorrow morning, getting back into my "old" routine for 4 easy 6-7 mile runs a week and now that spring/summer is here I have a bit more choice of routes in terms of the canal and parks rather than sticking to the roads (which ironically comprise large parts of the marathon course)

I have to say other than a little stiffness in the thighs I've been OK, not sure whether that's walking a section of the last few miles of the race, hitting the bath as soon as I got home, managing to stay hydrated during the race or indeed managing to rehydrate and refuel with copious beer and a kebab on Sunday night

I found the Finisherpix and mine aren't too bad including one where I look quite spritely as I come down the finishing straight

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Tiny - Thanks and thanks to you also for the support.  I'll be honest, if you'd asked me before i'd ever ran a marathon before about how helpful the crowds would be, i'd have brushed it all aside.  How helpful can someone you don't know. shouting the name of a person they don't know out?  Well, i'd have been very wrong, it's a huge boost and you kind of want to track them all down and doff your cap to them.  I guess the best way to repay the effort is to get out there and do the same when you aren't involved yourself.  Thanks once again!

SB - I couldn't agree with you more as I felt exactly the same. In the early stages of the race it was like they were distracting me so by the time I got to half way I almost felt as though I hadn't even been running. Towards the end they definitely gave me a lift. I am one of those people who, when racing, are 'in the zone', in my own little world. I am not one of those that interacted a lot with the crowd, unlike some others who really enjoyed that side of things. However, when I heard someone shout my name I always gave them a thumbs up even if I still looked like a miserable git. I was a marshal at last year's Sheffield HM (thankfully not this year after the farce that took place) and I shouted and clapped every single runner through, especially those who were struggling or towards the back. It is nearly as good as running itself so I would definitely recommend you give it a go.

Those who marshalled on Sunday deserve a great big pat on the back as I thought every single one of them were great. Sometimes you can see some miserable folk marshalling and wonder why they are even there, but not at Manchester, they were great.

I would be tempted to go out for a little run tonight if it wasn't for the fact that I'm off to watch Forest. With our current form I'm not sure which would give me more pain......

• morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

Well done everyone image I have entered this 3 times now and not made the start line due to work. Enjoyed following people on the tracker though, and it's a lot less hard work!

Tishtosh- Sorry to read about your race. My friends the Gingerbreadman and Foxy looked after you when you collapsed, so they will be pleased to know you are alive and well image

• Strangley Brown, thank you. Not sure about sub 2:45, how big a difference is there between 2:53 and sub 2:45?

A few questions for you all, first of all low long do you leave it until you get back to full on running sessions with your club?

Second question, when will you all be next running a marathon and which one will it be? Third question, what should I target at my next marathon. Would sub 2:45 be too much of a  jump/over ambitious? Not sure how big a difference there is from 2:53 to 2:44...