Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• Kirsty That explains something about when we where trying to park. Better half was driving and had to leg in out of the car as we couldn't find the are way through the traffic/road closer's and ended up paying the £10.

Very good to here your lass is ok. image

Personally think supporting is harder than running your still on your feet all day and have to look happy. Hug a marshell on your next race.

Karl if your interested there is Liverpool rock and roll next month? To be honest it's not looking special but run marathons in liverpool before and just as much support as Manc's.

Also being checky but goldbeatle who you might have seen on the running thread's from time to time has been setting up a marathon in dorset called the giantshead second year this year and hilly as funk if you fancy someone extra special. Marsheled it last year and going to give it a crack this time around there is beer at the end and free camping if anyone fancies it.image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Pete - there was no way i wasn't going to finish even if it was at a walk image

Rob - i'm going to try a 2 - 3 mile plod tonight with our slower group won't be joining the main session tomorrow though but if you saw our hills you'd understand why image  Next half is Chester 18/5 and full is Trail Marathon Wales 21/6 i'm being ambitious this year.

Managed to work out my garmin stats this morning and i was running 1mm faster than i should of been for the first 5-6 miles so no wonder i had problems. 

Hope everyones recovering well x

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Chrissi, you must have been near me for a fair bit of the race - I was with the 5 hour pacer for about the first 10 miles and finished in 5:20. I was wearing an orange Wetherby Runners vest.

The 5 hour pacer was great but going a little too fast in the first half, I felt.

I was really pleased with my time - I wasn't sure I was even going to start, never mind finish and I've already deferred for London. I'm awaiting final cortisone/operations on my feet, I hadn't trained for a marathon due to my foot problems (literally 5k parkruns every week, one 8 miler and a painful half), I had almost new shoes on and also a stinking cold.

• image Nykie I think I was talking rubbish to you for a bit going round.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Which one was you? I was running with a couple of pirates, one called Razor for a fair chunk.

• Razor’s a lovely man but a bit older than me the lad with him would have been Horse. spent a lot of the first few miles with the 5 hour pacing group was. If you saw someone in a white t-shirt with balti king on the back of it was me. image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Ah yes, got a lot of heckling from the 5 hour pacer and his cronies. Although not as much as Lycra Man ;o) I remember you. How did you do in the end?

Razor was really struggling when I was with him, he said to go on.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Nykie - the orange wetherby vest kind of rings a bell i had a turquoise t-shirt and welsh dragon buff as a hairband.  unfortunately i wasn't being very chatty as i was just fighting to keep going alot of the time,  Do remember a couple of strange conversations though 1 about being sick/feeling sick and another about never wanting anything sweet ever again.  There is still alot of haze though which may actually be a good thing image

Cake - when we turned by CoronationStreet the 5 hr pacer was just behind the 4.45 one someone was obviously too fast or slow.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Same - your description rings a bell but I don't think we spoke.

The 5 hour pacer was running between a 10:46mm and 10:48mm, certainly up until mile 8. 10:46 is a 4:42 marathon. He said he was going to ease off in the second half but I'd rather a pacer run pretty even splits. I might have kept up that way.

• Carter - Already in progress, I mailed them this morning.  No time like the present eh?

Rob - You're probably better placed to advise on this than any of us, I think you're just about the fastest on this thread.  Seriously, 2.53 is a sensational time, puts you right in the top percentile of marathoners in the country does that.

If I were in your shoes - and i'd love to think maybe one day I could go that fast - i'd probably be looking at sub 2.50.  Law of diminishing returns and all that.  I guess there are a whole host of factors at play (age, numbers of year running seriously etc) but it's fair to assume that you can go much quicker, if this was your first.  I doubt 2.45 is unrealistic, at some point.

I also can't answer your questions about the club as i'm not a member of any but my P+D plan doesn't have me back in full on training for another 5 weeks.  There is a gradual re-introduction back into normal life starting tomorrow.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭
    Nykie wrote (see)

Same - your description rings a bell but I don't think we spoke.

The 5 hour pacer was running between a 10:46mm and 10:48mm, certainly up until mile 8. 10:46 is a 4:42 marathon. He said he was going to ease off in the second half but I'd rather a pacer run pretty even splits. I might have kept up that way.

B****dy H**l no wonder i blew it - i'm never going to try to attempt going after a pacer again

• Did it in 5 hours 30 something and was very happy with that as tooke time out to give someone some first aid just before the first relay point. Thinking if not for that could have been below 5 hours 30 which would have been very good for my training. Chrissi The 5 hour pacer was going way to fast.  

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Oh yes, I remember reading back in the thread about you giving first aid. Was it a girl on the left side of the road and you offered to run ahead and get the next marshall or am I thinking of someone else?

It was really nice of you to stop and help someone. There was a video on the Running the world' facebook group of someone coming up to the finish and his legs were totally giving way - he was like Bambi - and at least 5 people went past him. I would have had to stop. Two spectators jumped over the barrier in the end and helped him to the finish.

• Yep that was me mate first aider at work so couldn't really not stop. Not that that means much just means I get a hi vis vest when someone get's a papercut. I carried on when the marchell's turned up mob handed but think the lass left in an abulance you would have heard not long after so hope they are ok.

Once saw someone like that at the end of nottingham marathon the marshel's wound't let them crawl to the end you shoudl have heard the swearing. They only had about 15 metre's to go. imageimage

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I recently did a First Aid at Work course with the Red Cross and I'm wanting to join them as a volunteer when they next start recruiting for the events teams. Yes, I remember the ambulance coming past (one of many) so I hope she's okay too. She was pretty insistent that she didn't want anyone though, wasn't she?

I can just imagine! I'd probably be DQed for abusing the marshals!

• She was well gone.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

The fact that she was wobbling about all over the place suggests that yes, she was. It's making me feel bad that I didn't stop now, but too many cooks and all that. You seemed to have it well under control image

• Don't feel bad mate I didn't do anything anyway was just a case of wait for the marchell's to turn up.

• Cake - have just realised from the t-shirt it was you I saw between about 2-3 miles. You were running with someone from a tri club I think?

• Yep was with someone from wakefield tri just taking cr*p and and saying hello. same tri club.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Was he a tall guy? Called Adam? If so, I did the last 10 miles or so with him, finished together holding hands over our heads. He really helped me through the last miles.

• image Excellent mate was him was his first one. Say he was wakefield so ended up chatting to him on and off until stopped for that lady. Hopefully seeing him when open water starts up again for the year. Out of interested he had a plan with his garmin was he able to stick to it till the end?

• Nykie wrote (see)

Oh yes, I remember reading back in the thread about you giving first aid. Was it a girl on the left side of the road and you offered to run ahead and get the next marshall or am I thinking of someone else?

It was really nice of you to stop and help someone. There was a video on the Running the world' facebook group of someone coming up to the finish and his legs were totally giving way - he was like Bambi - and at least 5 people went past him. I would have had to stop. Two spectators jumped over the barrier in the end and helped him to the finish.

Chap in a blue running vest by any chance?

• Cake,

You mentioned above about the Liverpool Rock and Roll marathon (May 25th). Bev Hart who posts on here was trying to get a thread going, but no one seems to know much about this.

I am interested in giving it a go just for the fun and enjoyment rather than time chasing. It looks interesting with the bands at each mile and a concert on the docks at the end. Given I am looking for enjoyment, the course looks to have quite some hills. Having seen you've run in Liverpool before can you comment about the route. Perhaps over on the thread to avoid spamming here.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/liverpool-rock-n-roll-marathon-anyone/274628.html

Anyone else on here running it?

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Ho hum.

Two days without a run and I'm bored already. I also have a slightly empty feeling after having obsessed over the marathon for the past few weeks. image

Good job I have my next one planned image.

I'm signed up to do "The Great Limerick Run" in a months time (I was wearing the tee shirt on Sunday to last years).

Thanks everybody on this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed Manchester and hope to come home to do it again next year.

• Thanks Sam_Turner. I''ve had asthma for years but never had an asthma attack, scarred the living daylights out of me!! I was put on steroids 3 days before and given the all clear to run, felt great Sunday morning, at least now I know for next time - don't run!! recovered from the race well, just my chest!! More steroids.... I was shocked I got a PB as at that point I didn't know I'd be able to finish.

Some fantastic stories and achievements on here, good to hear everyone recovering well xx
  • Morticia - thank your friends for looking after me - I really appreciated them all staying with me as it took ages for the ambulances to get through. I felt dreadful and was probably talking nonsense in my slightly delerious state! The folks in the medical tent were great too.

Well done all on some great times. Am gutted I couldn't finish. It's taken 36+ hours for my kidneys to start to work again and since I already had slightly rubbish kidney function am not sure I can put my body through that again - couldn't have trained any harder than I did for this one. Think I may have to stick to 5 & 10k and half marathons in the future. Pity though as there is something about the marathon that keeps drawing me back in. Ho hum!
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Cake wrote (see)

image Excellent mate was him was his first one. Say he was wakefield so ended up chatting to him on and off until stopped for that lady. Hopefully seeing him when open water starts up again for the year. Out of interested he had a plan with his garmin was he able to stick to it till the end?

If his plan was to run/walk and finish in 5:19, then he managed it. It was harder than he expected though.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)
    Nykie wrote (see)

Chap in a blue running vest by any chance?

Yes, grey or blue, the video was a bit blurry.

• for anyone interested I wrote up my Manchester experience 2014. I missed last years event after suffering the hiccups and hailstone of 2012 but I'm glad I came back. turning into a superb race:

http://wiganharriersendurance.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/manchester-marathon-2014-grahams-report/#more-1960