Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi magic,  when are you planning for your next marathon pal?

• Next mara - not sure!  Not this year image

I'm going to enter the ballot for London, but assuming i dont get a place there i might do Manchester again or possibly look at Paris/Barcelona.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I did 4 miles earlier at a very sedate pace. No injuries or niggles which is obviously good but as AM said I think it will take a bit of time to get back to normal. My plans are more or less sorted: at first I just wanted to run a marathon to say I had done it. After enjoying Manchester so much I'm going back for more in the autumn and looking to crack the 3:30 mark. Hope everyone else is recovering well

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

AM - I've just been looking at my autumn marathon and have decided that Chester is the one. Have you run Chester before ? Looking at the course profile I would say it's about twice as 'hilly' as Manchester so should still be a course where you can go for a PB ?

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Chester definitely hillier than Manchester!  Nothing like the amount of support as mostly out in the countryside. Very very beautiful route and very enjoyable. ..I was 4 mins faster at Manchester and hated the last quite significant hill towards the end at Chester. .....still one to do though!  I myself have booked Mablethorpe for October. ....very small marathon......it is flat tho and will have long weekend in old fadhioned seaside place! It's meant to be my probably last attempt to get under 3 45!

• Going to risk my first run since Manchester tonight at my club run - I was supposed to be giving myself two weeks off but the weather's nice, and I'm itching to get out again which I take to be a good sign. Just planning a gentle 5 miles ish with a couple of girls who ran Paris the same weekend. Test out the legs (plus I clearly just want an excuse to wear my Finishers t shirt and brag!) image

• I've managed a gentle run every day now since saturday and am amazed the old legs feel ok. Am still gutted about not being able to finish Manchester though and struggling to come to terms with the fact that I am never going to be able to run another marathon unless I accept I can only pootle round slowly which I do not want to do. Kidneys though sadly clearly cannot cope with long distances at pace image

• Hi Tish marathons hey, look after yourself first and foremost.

I did three short runs last week 3, 4 & 6 felt OK, I completed a local 5 mile race last night in 37.07 a 15 sec pb over last year that was run prior to the marathon last year I was not confident even thought about not doing it, which baffles me as my Manchester marathon was 13 mins slower than last year but I felt the training and fitness was better than last year. Oh and I'm one year older. So I'm putting it down to life and moving on to my next mad idea, which could be a fell race on Saturday.

I Like Chester a good event with a couple more hills than Manchester but not enough to spoil your day, Sandy Lane is the bit that gets you ate the end, well recommended though.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Tish - hopefully you will find pleasure in shorter races if you decide you cant run a marathon again.

Bev - I've heard nothing but good reports about Chester so it looks like the one for me.

SKD - if you run a fell race and enjoy it you could easily get hooked. Be prepared for plenty of walking ! Which fell race are you running ?

A nice little 4 miles for me at lunch. I ran down by the river and it was lovely, I could easily have carried on. The legs felt a lot better today so hopefully they will have returned to normal fairly soon.

• Tish if any help I used to be fastish back in the sands of time. But after a while it was just to much of my week to do 80/90 miles a week each week so set myself different goals. Sometimes I wish I could mix it up but not often, Not just look at endurance racing and being a old fatty much about at other races.

I would take a break and think about what goal you want could be shorter distances could be endurance stuff. It's all equally valid and keeps us sane/insane depending on your point of view. ((((((((((hugs))))))))

SKD fell racing is the path to the dark side which one you thinking? image

• Hi Carter & Cake, it would be an easy one the Rivington Pike race 3.2 miles 700 ft of ascent, weather looks good, quite dry conditions. I am from Horwich and my brother lives on the route and I'll be there this Saturday, no match at the Reebok, so no excuse. Oh and I said on many occasions that I've never do something so stupid,looking on Youtube seems I'll be in good company, l need to start doing some hills as my autumn aim is SNOD. I was brought up near the Pennines so I'm well used to hill walking.

• skd - I fancied the Rivi race this year but have ended up booking a long weekend down in London so wont be around for it.

I am looking into the Rivington trail half mara in October though.  That would be a good run out.

• Cater - no i havent run Chester, Manchester was my first.  Its one i looked into though if i was going to do another marathon this year (which i'm not now).

I'm doing the half next month but that will be it for Chester

• Skd nice one If you deside you like it and get into a little dirty fell action just remember gravity is your friend on the down hill's and try not to snack yourself on a rock. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SKD - make sure you get some suitable trotters for the fell race, some with plenty of grip to slow yourself down when you get steaming down those hills and as Cake says to avoid rocks, tree roots, other runners, dogs etc !

Cake - I've just entered the Long Tour of Bradwell in August and I'm also thinking about the Intro Ultra Tour of the Peak District (Whirlow) in June. Both 50km with a few thousand feet of elevation. Do you fancy any of them ?

AM - best of luck at the Chester half, are you chasing a PB ? 

• At the moment I’m still eyeing up a Ironman in august but the way it’s going I might not be able to get enough bike time in to play if I can’t I’d be very up for ever of those. If I end up doing the ironman I can just sit on the grass and heckle you instead.image

If your interested there is Eyam Half coming up next month as well it’s on road but nice and hilly.  

• Carter - Yeah ill be gunning for a PB.  Currently at 1:41:06 but would like to do a 1:38 with the marathon training behind me.

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Woohoo just finished the South Manchester park run and logged a 22:36PB. image

With some more speed focus during the summer next target is sub 22.

• Hi Cake & Carter, my fell running adventures have begun, I completed my first or only fell race at Rivington, finished sub 30, 17.5 up, 12 down. Conditions perfect, sunny, underfoot dry, view from the top breathtaking, as good as it gets. Plenty of support along the route and at the top. Hazards avoided.

I managed to run past the second farm gate, then walked to Georges Lane, then ran most of the rest. Not sure what was left in my legs. My problems just started, difficult to stay on my feet, i did some how, I'd not really run down a steep hill in 5 years/ever. I had my road shoes running down a steep grassy bank was a bit hairy, very slow like bambi on ice, windmill arms I was overtaken by quite a few some with no sense for their own safety. I did get into it, I was much better on the tarmac bits and didn't lose any places, started to relax and enjoy it, the sense of speed and power was great, I know what you mean Cake gravity is your friend. 

I would need some proper shoes,practice going down hill then I would fancy getting better than 284 out of 356 so I could be back.

Happy running whatever you do, ultras or ironman, may the pb's be with you, well done Pete on yours and your summer of speed

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Moyes out in the next 24 hours. I'm looking forward to next season all ready. image

• SKD if any good I've got a couple of fell shoe's but these have been the best consistanly. On tarmac sections they aren't the best but if you are going full on fell racing the best shoe's ever and bonus is they work very well on snow and ice in the winter.

mudclaws 

• Thanks Cake for the advice, my next race is the White Peak marathon, with no watch or garmin just for the experience. I will consider what fell races are about suitable for a novice and will try a couple.

• image White peak is one of the best races out there mate. Mate sure you give yourself some time to get a burger in at the rugby club after you've going to love it.

If you want novice races you might be interested in this trunce Afraid it's a bit of a trek from your end so might not be doable. Just in case most fell races are listed on here

Fell runner's 

• Hi everyone

I am absolutely loving my running at the moment - no problems whatsoever in terms of my legs and am loving running without my Garmin or schedule and just going out as and when I feel like it. Am pretty much 100% sure I'm heading back up again next spring to try for a pop at the sub 4 - after coming in at 4hr 10 this year I think I'm in with a shot so who knows - might see you all again soon on the Manchester Marathon 2015 forum?!

As an aside (and probably cheeky I know), I've been shortlisted as a semi-fanailst for Dorset Business Mother of the Year 2014. There are 9 of us shortlisted and we all had to make a short 1 minute video presentation about our company and how we fit running our business around family life and other commitments. Obviously I managed to shoe-horn in a section about running marathons! image It's now open to a public vote to determine the winner and the voting lines are only open until Wednesday. If you could spare two seconds to vote on the link below I'd be so grateful (you don't need to register or anything so you won't be bombarded with junk emails). My video is also on there but please feel free NOT to watch that!

http://vala.venusawards.co.uk/vote/24

Thanks and happy running everyone

Kirsty

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Hi kirsty! Good to hear your news! I voted for you. ..good luck!! x

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hi Kirsty - voted, best of luck !

• Good luck Kirsty voted keep running

• Voted Kirsty - good luck!

I am just starting to enjoy my running also, this week my legs have loosened a little and today's run was a fairly brisk 8k and it felt good for the first time.  Wanted to attempt a 5k PB at parkrun tomorrow but i think its a week early so ill probably run a slowish one and then go for it next week if i feel better.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

AM - good stuff. I've now done 5 runs since Manchester with the longest of 7 miles, all at an easy pace. Tomorrow, I'm heading for the hills to do a 10 miler and if all goes well I will start to increase the mileage and elevation next week.