Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• I just cannot run in the morning yuck - but i do my cross training then instead image

• Unfortunately I am not much a morning person (probably a hang-up from a misspent youth of late nights, too much booze and lazy long lie-ins!), so I am not big on the early morning runs.  That said having spent the entire of last year’s winter/spring training dodging the crazy rush-hour traffic after work, I am not keen to endure that again either. A compromise mixture of lunch and evening runs will be the standard for me this year. I will mix those around to avoid the worst of the Manchester winter weather. I guess this a bonus of a fairly flexible plan, I don’t feel tied to a fixed run length or style on a given day when either the body, work or the weather are against you.

On the subject of feeling fresh on race day. I actually had a 3.5-4 week gradual taper last year because my knees were really playing up. I now put that down to not owning a foam roller and the body adjusting from a long term base of 25 mpw to 45-50 miles per weeks. I actually felt quite fresh, ready to race on the final taper week and full of energy on race day. In hindsight this was probably one of the reasons I managed an even split and kick to the line. Being the first marathon I was very cautious of wanting to finish, and enjoying it after all the tails of the final 6 miles. I will be conscious again in the final month not to push too much if the body is fatigued or injured. Better to be fresh on race day, than try and cram in too much and suffer from the gun.  

Coming back to training: 

• 1 x LR at about race pace, most which include some hills. 2-3 at 22 miles
    • 1 x Recovery the day after the LR
    • 1 x Medium Tempo/Threshold (with good chunks at current half – 10k pace)
    • 1 x Speed Session which will be new to me, and not sure how to do this yet.
    • Make the rest up depending on the body and weather

Jim IA Moore wrote (see)

Rich having took my PB at Manchester last year down to 3hrs 17mins I am back again hoping to duck below a dream 3hrs 15mins. Looking at your plan it seems a bit like my own from last year, I am also looking for some ideas on what I could improve this time round.

Does anyone have any comments here? I’d also be interested to know if there is something specific that we might consider.

I am liking that the thread is active again so early. No doubt there will be more of last years regulars turning around the new year.

• I did a 6.75 mile fell race yesterday - mud, water, snow and hail image 

• Well done Chrissi, I keep thinking about taking to the hills but so far have regained my senses before pressing enter or maybe I should just grow some and get on with it.

Steady 10 miles today on a crisp sunny morning, great stuff, parkrun plus 3 miles yesterday.

• I'm struggling to get back fully into training since York as was disappointed with how it went. Have been trying some different things and did a cross country race at the weekend which was hard work but nice to do something different. 

Must make an effort to get back to serious training, particularly speedwork as desperate to improve my time! Must also make decision as to which plan to follow ...

• Me too tish tosh - I'm making up all sorts of excuses at the moment,  need to snap out of that quicksticks!!

• tishtosh wrote (see)

Must make an effort to get back to serious training, particularly speedwork as desperate to improve my time! Must also make decision as to which plan to follow ...

Similar juggling for me in terms of plan whether to stick with last year's or try and Bespoke a P&D plan, mainly looking at where to be in terms of LSR distance come the turn of the year but also whether to simply try and get more 20 mile LSRs in this time around and hope that the extra endurance will get me through those last 6 miles or whether to try something "different" for my other runs during the week in terms of speed or hill work (which is pretty difficult around here)

Had a good week last week post-HM at Capesthorne although the bulk of my runs weren't of any significant distance so back out for 13 miles tonite

• Reckon I'm up for this. Was planning to do it this year but it clashed with another marathon. If I do it I'll be able to visit my mum and sleep the night before in my childhood bed. image

• Hey Redjeep! - come join the Manchester partyimage

Regarding mornings, I also count myself very much as a night owl and not a morning lark but I force myself out 5 or 6 mornings a week, every week.  I see it as part of the discipline of being a runner, running when it's least favourable to do so.  Especially hard are the very cold winter mornings when one toe poked out of the bed tells you just how cold it is in the room and subsequently how bloody cold it's going to be outside.  Knowing that there is absolutely nothing stopping you turning over and going back to sleep for abother hour or so.  That's damned tough.  It's character building to do things that are hard though and the rewards are wonderful.  you're freed up for the rest of the day and the energy the run gives you is carried through all day too.  I also find mornings are by far the most preferable time of day to run - less people, less traffic and less dogs.

• Morning.

I've got my eye on Manchester too as I was due to run it this year but couldnt make it due to an ITB injury. I also missed Chester in October for the same reason. I'm slowly making progress with the injury but am not yet committing to any spring marathon. I'm currently just running as and when I want to and mixing it in with some cycling.

Regarding morning runs, I too like a beer or two followed by a lie in at the weekends, but considering that most marathons are run in the mornings I think it's useful to do my long run on a Saturday morning so I get used to what it feel likes and practise my routine for the race itself.

• Strangely Brown - agree with you about mornings, it's tough getting out there sometimes but then you get the satisfaction of getting your run in early. Perfect conditions at 6 am today - got a good 11 miles in.

Lots of interesting stuff about people's training plans. Think I'm going with the P&D 55 mile one, maybe playing around with it a bit. The Sunday run at the end of the plan's first week will be the Stockport 10 for me so I should probably start doing a few hills!

• Nar it's flat isn't it? image See you at stockport mate I'll be the fat lad at the back.

• Cake - the Benny Hill section on the track was flat but I'm pretty sure I recall a couple of slight undulations out on the course!

The things you said about the race on the ideal race thread are spot on, it's a really well organised friendly event.

•  

strangely Brown, totally with you on the mornings, I simply don’t like running at any other times.Was out today with 8 gentle miles (at Slower than MP also, slowing down is getting easier), and set myself up for the day and consigned yesterday’s terrible 12 work day to history!

I am going with the P&D up to 55 mile plan, how do you guys work round the xmas period (sorry i mentioned it)!

Is it simply a case of starting a week or so earlier?

• IMHO its work starting 2 weeks early to allow for Xmas and any little niggles or ilnesses that crop up. 

• Im going to just do what i can around xmas.  I cant start my plan any earlier as im in Mexico until 1st Dec anyway.  If i miss a couple of runs im not going to kick myself about it, ill just make sure i always make the long run, whether its on the right day or a couple of days either side.

Im another one who loves the morning runs in the winter.  Once your out there I find it so enjoyable.

• I tend to slot the runs in over Christmas regardless and just swap the ones that would fall on say Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc to other days of the week so that I still get my 4 runs per week in. I guess I'll be at the 14-15 mile LSR stage by then

I think it's always worth starting a week or so earlier anyway to allow for injuries, work commitments etc

I enjoy running but I'm not in the ability group or mindset that starts to skimp on the other things they like, to cater for their running or let running replace other "fun" things

That's why I only do my shortest run at the weekend, so I can still have a few drinks on a Friday/Saturday and the same applies to things like Christmas

Still toying with P&D 55 miles plan (book on the way from Amazon) or sticking with last year's which peaked around 45 miles but will add in more 20 mile runs than the 1 that was included, given that I'm probably starting a month or so earlier and from a higher base point than last time

• good advice gents appreciated,i ll start a few weeks earlier

I am must admit missing my Friday after work beer is a massive sacrifice....always juggle the long runs at the weekend to allow one day or rest and alcohol consumption!  

• Rick R wrote (see)

Cake - the Benny Hill section on the track was flat but I'm pretty sure I recall a couple of slight undulations out on the course!

The things you said about the race on the ideal race thread are spot on, it's a really well organised friendly event.

Undulations? nar tis nothing but a speed bump. imageimage

• All this talk of traimning plans is making my approach look very laid back! I find sticking to plans very diffcult, I hate the rigidity (this has always been the case even when I was a keen junior cyclist 25 years ago!) and these days my life/work commitments make it almost impossible to stick to one anyway.

So for me between now and Christmas I'm targetting the MK half marathon and probably doing 3 or 4 sessions a week totalling between 20-25 miles.

From January onwards, I'll be running home every Wednesday evening (14 miles minimum) as my long run, increasing that by 1 or 2 miles a week, at least one faster run at around half that distance, and one or 2 interval sessions.

On top of that there will be weights at least once a week (hopefully twice) and I'll be riding to and from work (minimum 28 mile round trip) 2 or 3 times a week.

I know my plan is a little heath robinson in approach, but with a steadily increasing weekly LSR, a tempo run, intervals and bike rides in lieu of easy runs am I that far off the mark?

• 2wheels - i don't have a rigid plan - i get much too stessed out if i miss a run or don't hit a mileage. 

Conwy Half next weekend then i'll do a long run every other week starting with 2 in December at 14 ish miles then 2 x 15-16, 2 x 18ish and 2 x 20ish.  During the week then i do club run wednesday, and 1 or 2 other runs in the week these are usually between 3.5 and 6 miles.  The weekend run between the long runs will depend how my body is bearing up and will probelby be 6-8 miles. I also do a dvd on morning weekdays for strength and all that. Oh and there will be hills involved (hard not to around me) and a mix of road and trial.image

• Despite not feeling great as have grotty cold, decided I had to get myself back into gear and proper training so went to the club tonight and had a really good session so feeling distinctly better about things now - amazing what a good run can do for you! We did a track session after few miles warm up - 4 x 6min @ tempo pace with 1 min rests image 

Must admit that I like having plans as love having something so that I can cross off sessions when they're done! Think I might be a bit OCD!

• Feeling surprisingly stiff this morning, did 8 miles last night following 13 on Monday whereas last week did my usual 4 runs post Capesthorne HM with barely a niggle. Skipped a cross train this morning to try and get loose for Friday morning's run but will probably go for a "recovery" walk at lunchtime to get out of the office

My copy of P&D arrived yesterday and it looks surprisingly readable compared to other marathon books even if I'm not in that elite group of runners it is aimed at

I managed to stick fairly rigidly to the plan last year without being a**l about it and my other half works away 2-3 days per week which puts paid to a schedule alot of the time and it becomes a case or running as and when (8.30pm last night)

With tishtosh on the ticking off, it was good to look at the plan in March last year and see how far I'd come but I do think it's a very personal thing in terms of what training works for you

I think the P&D 55 mile in 18 weeks would work for me but I'd have to switch it around a little and see how I could accomodate a 5th run per week

• Hi everyone,

I haven't entered yet but fancy Manchester next year having not got a ballot in London yet again.  Reasonably happy with my fitness at the mo, did the Bog and Bryn last week, 13.5 miles off road with 1600ft climbing in 2.02 and I've got another offroad half on the Gower this weekend.

I'm going to follow P&D up to 55 miles and hope for around 3.30!

• Though i don't have a plan to tick off as such i do have a large chart that i record all my runs on so i can see how much i've done (or not).  Long run goals are down the side in pencil so i know what i'm aiming for - it kind of just works better for me a bit of the structure but not too much to stress me out.

Bev - the new Corrie studio is opening at the end of this month (sis in law works on it so mum and dad off to the opening tour) I'm guessing publi studio tours will be up and running by next April.  It looks like we actually do a run by on the route as well.

•  

ex egg chaser wrote (see)

I am going with the P&D up to 55 mile plan, how do you guys work round the xmas period (sorry i mentioned it)!

Is it simply a case of starting a week or so earlier?

Just run through it.  Funny some of the talk about drinking nights etc.  I always find that after a big session, only a hard run will sort me out.  No amount of bacon in the world will do to the hangover what a tough run can.  It's hard at first but then i often find that I run better off a skinful the night before than if i haven't.  Odd, I know.  I'm sure it's probably not too good for you mind....
    So yeah, i'll run through x-mas, boozy nights and all.  I ran on x-mas morning last year and loved it.  Just get a santa hat on and goimage

Regarding plans, I like the process of ticking off too tishtash and I need the structure otherwise I could easily get a little reckless or lazy.  I do try and stick to it as much as possible but modern life dictates that this just isn't always possible so some adaptions are always necessary.

I should touch 50 miles this week which is the precursor to starting the plan properly next week but for all intents, i'm in marathon training now.

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Just run through it.  Funny some of the talk about drinking nights etc.  I always find that after a big session, only a hard run will sort me out.  No amount of bacon in the world will do to the hangover what a tough run can.  It's hard at first but then i often find that I run better off a skinful the night before than if i haven't.  Odd, I know.  I'm sure it's probably not too good for you mind....
    So yeah, i'll run through x-mas, boozy nights and all.  I ran on x-mas morning last year and loved it.  Just get a santa hat on and goimage

I should touch 50 miles this week which is the precursor to starting the plan properly next week but for all intents, i'm in marathon training now.

I think your body is probably a more finely tuned engine than mine SB image, I do go out on a Saturday morning after a few beers the night before but it's normally the shortest run of the week and if I've not been careful, the slowest. I do feel alot better for it afterwards though

I'm more concerned on the weight side of things at Christmas, I managed to put some weight on earlier this year despite decent, regular mileage. Have managed to lose a fair bit since the summer and if I keep an eye on it, it certainly has meant quicker times and a more enjoyable run since

• OMG....running yesterday morning brought it home to me how difficult the winter weather training is going to be! Bring back that hot hot weather when at least you could get up really early to avoid the worst heat....how do you avoif ice snow frost wind and rain and be ready for beginning of April??? I HATE the gym......

• I'm the opposite Bev. I love running in the winter evenings but stuggle in the summer.

• Chrissi wrote (see)

Though i don't have a plan to tick off as such i do have a large chart that i record all my runs on so i can see how much i've done (or not).  Long run goals are down the side in pencil so i know what i'm aiming for - it kind of just works better for me a bit of the structure but not too much to stress me out.

Hi Chrissi, have you been copying my diary chart!! That is exactly how I record my runs. The main goals being the long run detailed in advance on the left, together with total miles achieved in retrospect. I also usually mark key points such as niggles or good/bad sessions on the right. Recording niggles is a good idea as I've noticed the same issues crop up after particular sessions months aparts (i.e. QL tightening after the first 22 miler).

I do agree with Strangely about running the booze out of the body. I might feel pretty green for the first few miles after a session, but afterwards I feel so much better for sweating out the evil within! However I could hardly describe such runs as being my best efforts, more cure or kill!