Friday 12 December

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    No, I give up on the lyrics (as I do every day!) No idea. One day I'll have to get up really, really early and post first so that I get to choose something I know!

What: Nothing.
    Why: Work Christmas do. I've organised it this year so I'm a bit stressed in case everyone hates the restaurant and meal. Have ordered plenty of wine as this usually smooths over any problems!
    Last hard: Getting out the door last night was hard - I'm really tired this week after being on a training course for the first three days of it.
    Last rest: Tuesday.

Have a good day and weekend, fellow runners!
  • Hehehe - works Christmas dinners - I managed to keep up with at least 2 of the usually speedy club runners last night because they were uncharacteristically weighed down with lunchtime turkey, sprouts and pud.

• 3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    After feeling like sh*t yesterday (fluy, temp) I seem to have drunk it out of my system last night and ran close to a PB in a 5K as part of my 'taper' for the Gt Barford half on Sunday.

So... time for prediction. My pb is... very slow: 2:39

2:30 - happy
    2:25 - grinning from ear to ear
    2:20 - ecstatic

Going to try and be careful and not go off too fast, also in the back of my mind is that this isn't the real goal - Paris marathon next year is!
  • la la alalallal
    ek i HATE those things
  • what things?

or have i missed the point as usual?
  • the things that sing the title lyrics
    actually the lyrics are worng
    it s
    We're Not small but you are tall
    aargh
  • Afternoon!

What: still nothing
    Why: still recovering, thanks for the get well's yesterday. Will try a run tommorrow

Last hard: Sun

• Don't rush it Big Tim.

Venom - oh stink. Sorry to hear that it's not ready for running yet.

3TL and Bod, have fun at Barford. Wasn't organised in time to get application in. Perhaps as well, what with one thing and another.

Bravo Tiny Tia! I tend to do long runs midweek too for the same reasons.

What: 4+ miles, I would say "tempo" rather than easy or anything else relaxed like that. I ran to physio appointment, got caught on telephone just before I intended to set out. It's called motivation.

At any rate got sent packing with loads of new exercises, and a very well loosened neck. I'm slightly surprised to find the head still attached.
  • Afternoon:

What: 10km gentle

Why: Had wanted to do an early tempo run this am but too tired so will save it for Sunday after long run tommorrow

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: Week last Monday

Treadmill - think you should employ yourself as a pacemaker on Sunday and charge BR a pint for every second he comes in under 75 mins independent of whether you really helped or not!!

BR - just make sure you follow those last minute tips in the new British runner!

More seriously, will be keeping fingers crossed.

Simon
  • Afternoon all, gloomy day here in London E1 - forecast not so good for the South East tomorrow.

What?: virtually nothing this weew other than more core stability/strengthening work.
    Why?: Hip still on LHS.

After being forced to have virtually two months off am about to start back again - can now run at an easy pace up ten flights of stairs with only minor discomfort (can't run down yet though). Intend to have a shortish off road session tomorrow just to test things out - maybe a few miles at a moderate pace on Sunday.

Enjoy the weekend.
  • That's all right BR, just imagine me in my alter persona, a slavering yellow-fanged red-eyed wolf like monster breathing fire and bearing down on you fast from behind.

(Or that is the image I tried to promote amongst the year 9 kids, the short time I had anything to do with schools. It was an identity they seemed to be able to understand.)

If you ever think you can't run any faster, you'll find you can.

Seriously, wishing you the very best special reserve sort of luck.
  • WEll, easy five miler turned into a tough eight or nine miler cos of, well, all sorts of unexpected things happening en route. About a mile was wading through snowdrifts on an uncleared jeep track - and there was me thinking all the tracks would have been cleared - doh!

Really windy here - hope it blows itself out before it gets to Nottingham. Good luck, BR, focus on achieving your goal ... you know you can do it.

Anyway, may not be running tomorrow cos

THE SKI SLOPES ARE OPENING!!!!!

Only the lower runs, and only for a few hours but - wey hey!

Stickless- that would certainly make me run faster! - I'm scared of my own shadow and as for a red-eyed wolf-like monster ... eek!
  • Hello everyone....Christmas shopping allll done :)

as for the training...

What: 6 miles (with some hard hills)
    Why: Day 4 of marathon training schedule
    Last hard: Sunday 10k race
    Last rest: Thursday

keep on runnin....
  • Afternoon all,

What: 1.5k swim and 10 mins water running in the hot spa
    Why: Step-back week
    7 days cumulative mileage: 27

Second day of not running and I'm feeling all sorts of tweaks and minor pains in my legs. Hopefully, that's them getting fitter ;)

I think I might snap and go for a short run tomorrow if I'm not too hungover from tonight's Xmas do.

Have a good evening all.
  • Hello everyone

What: not sure, don't think I'll get to the club due to daughters school disco. Might try and do 3-4 miles after.

Wednesday's 6 miler ended in stomach cramps and a migraine, running keyworth turkey trot on Sunday so hopefully there won't be a recurrence. Hoping for around 1:55 but as pb is 1:56:06 at Nottingham and haven't done much training since then it is probably unlikely but you never know...

Good luck everyone racing this weekend particulary BR hope you get the time you need and Popsider on your first half since injury.
  • Evening all.

Welcome Rach, hope training go's well for Paris marathon.

Good luck to Bod and 3TL for there 1/2s over the weekend.

Popsider good luck for you too, after a long lay off from running.

BR hope everything pulls together for you on sunday, good luck and look forward to the race report.

Longlegs good to see things are improving.

BT, sorry to see your still not feeling too good, hope the rest is doing you some good.

What: 13 miles easyish! ( slightly longer than I stated earlier ) 1hr 40min, time not irrelevant at the moment.

Why: Slowly increasing mileage, 4th week on new programme.

Last Hard: Wednesday

Last Rest: Saturday

Enjoy your friday evening, some of us have gotta 12hr shift to do;-(

GOOD LUCK AGAIN
  • eeek! Just got my FLM acceptance in the post (I knew I was in, but this makes it real...) - double eeek!
  • Cheers for the tips folks.

What: 6 miles steady up and down the Cromford Canal

Why: It is the cradle of the Industrial Revolution

Last rest: Tuesday

Sorry to hear you're not quite there yet Tim and Venom. Just put your feet up and enjoy the all new action packed British Runner :)

Just nudged over 50 miles this week. Feels like I've not done anything and forgotten what running is like.

Whatever the outcome Sunday it's back to proper training next week. Hooray!
  • good luck BR

4.6 slow miles
  • evening everyone - slowly working my way back to running: the plan is to do nexyt week to the usual pattern but at about 80% volume before resuming to full training over xmas / new year

bought my flights up to edinburgh for the euro cross today

What: 5 miles steady in the morning, then swim and massage / drills

Why: to rehabilitate legs post marathon - think i'm nearly there.

Last rest: Monday

• evening all <shamefaced Snail sidles into thread>

well, no doubt none of you will be surprised to learn that I haven't quite managed the 10 miles so far today... as Crafty and I were still drinking at 6 this morning, I didn't start sobering up till late afternoon - horrible horrible feeling.

Off to a ball now, promise a) not to drink and b) not to post... and c) to run tomorrow!

Seems like quite a few of you were prepared to admit to knowing the lyrics then, though Venom's backtracking didn't fool me!

It is indeed the Smurf Song by the Smurfs. Well, it seemed funny to us at 1 o'clock this morning... Sorry for getting the lyrics slightly wrong, as Benz pointed out - I was trying to enunciate my words clearly.

Have a good weekend, all, hopefully see some of you on Sunday if anyone's going to Reading.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

all those going to a xmas party have great fun!

I had a rather rude present from mine!

What:circuits
    why:alternative exercise week. Wasn't going to do anything as I'm full of cold, but it's all above my chest for now! So might feel better for doing something.
    last hard:Sunday
    last rest:yesterday
  • It's ok Snail I didn't manage my measlely 4m today. Christmas preparations prevented it. I'll run double tomorrow just before consuming copious amounts of alcohol at the club's christmas bash. i've just got Mrs llama to agree to drive.
  • BTW, the Nottingham forecast for Sunday is now down to 14mph. Must be worth a few seconds that!!
  • Nice picture here of the Luton Marathon winner!

http://www.lutonmarathon.org.uk/
  • do i look old enough to be running marathons, let alone winning them?
  • Evening All,

What: B*gger all.
    Why: Tapering for Turkey Trot and after a day full of multi-site meetings I'm relaxing with a VERY large G+T ;-)
    Last hard run: Week from last Tuesday
    Last rest day: Wednesday

BR, 14 mph tailwind is awesome, 14 mph headwind is catastrophic.

• Do you know the course well enough to know which it is going to be MM?

Then again, shelter from buildings and hedges makes a huge difference too.

(Had a tailwind on most of the open bits of todays run. Wheee!)
  • what - 4.75 miles in 31.43 - Matlock - Cromford
    why - rested yesterday
    next hard - Sunday's race

No idea what sort of time to go for - worked out I did about 6.40s tonight and couldn't have kept it up for 13 miles - so maybe my plan of starting out at 7s isn't as conservative as I thought.

Keyworth is an exposed course - from memory I think you are probably running East/south on the most exposed bits - but that could be rubbish.