Garmin Forerunner 620

Comments

• I thought it was the HRM-Run that had the accelerometer not the watch, some of this feedback comments are getting a little confusing.

• ok, scrap that. Just been to the Garmin site and noted "For indoor training, the 620’s built-in accelerometer tracks distance, so you don’t need a separate foot pod."

• Hi I am looking to buy the Garmin620 for my husband for Christmas - do you know where I can get one from?  Also if he already has a Garmin HRM, do I need to buy him a different one to go with the Garmin 620? thanks

• Sweatshop has an exclusive deal with Garmin until January so that's the only place you'll find a 620, online or on the high street.

Your hubby's existing hrm strap will work with the 620 but if you want the fancy new metrics you'll need to get the new-fangled strap. You might actually have trouble finding a 620 without the strap, tbh. Seems Garmin are pushing the bundles before rolling out the standalone products.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

If you don't get the 620 with strap get the 220 as the strap adds so much.

Just done a 10 (longest thus far with watch) and I now have a VO2 Max est of 58.

Reason to get a 620 #137 My stride length today was 1.21 and a recovery time of 19hrs.

Love the random number generator! 

• See the 620 manual say use a cotton top so it doesn't affect the chest strap readings. Garmin are bonkers, no one is going to do that, they must be on planet la la!

• Good numbers Toro! My VO2 is creeping towards my marathon/HM race times now I've stopped messing about.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

PR I think that's a hang up from the first HRM straps.  I have a few that don't like my Polar and it just drops out completely. 

• Was in Sweatshop Southampton yesterday and treated myself to a 620. Gonna go for my first run with it this morning. It was the last one they had with the HRM strap, they had loads without the HRM.

• Better to buy with the HRM at £360 than without, as the HRM-Run on it's own is £80 if you decide to buy later.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Frog - I am Pompey. Are you local? Enjoy the data overload. It's like the matrix. Lol.

• Not sure about this VO2max thing and race predictors on the 620... seems gimmicky or at least very conservative.

Yesterday I ran a 5K in 22:17 (parkrun), but the 620 today says my predicted fastest 5K is 22:40, yet it knows I've done it faster the day before (and to be honest I wasn't going all out, stopped a few times when I didn't need to, so there was probably another 45 seconds there at least - PB only 6 weeks ago of 20:45 on previous 610).

I suspect the race predictor is more linked to VO2max than using your actual times (it should use the best of either really).

• I've asked on the Garmin support forum but maybe somebody here knows - is the satellite pre-cacheing done via the usb cable from the computer or only by bluetooth and the smartphone?

My 220 is taking a long time to find the satellites. I've charged it and uploaded to Garmin Connect by usb but I don't have a smartphone ...

• All the reviews I've read say via WiFi - try setting it up on a wifi network somewhere?

• The 220 doesn't do wi-fi - that's exclusive to the 620, is it not?

• Ah - sorry, I thought it was on both.  From DCRainmakers 220 review

"These satellite caches are updated via Bluetooth Smart via your phone"

• Toro - Poole here so not local but not that far away image

So it took me a while to adjust to the smaller display compared to my 910xt. Noticeably lighter and what stunned me was how fast I got a satellite lock. It was less than 5 seconds! I was supposed to be on a rest day but with a new toy couldn't resist a little run. The race predictor has me running 20 seconds slower than my 5k PB. the WiFI uploading was a breeze and so fast compared to Ant+ with the PC. Great to come through the door and it to just do it while I unlaced my shoes. No mucking about to find the dongle and get the pooter booted up. Bliss. As for the other metrics, not sure but they will be fun to track, I am not an advanced runner having only been running 18 months. I like the data though. Looks like I will be looking to sell the 910 lol.

Here's my run on Garmin Connect

• I saw that too Daeve ... I have a feeling that unless I get a smartphone I'm going to be standing around while it searches for the satellites.

Just bought a new (non-smart) phone as well. Poo.

Although I do have Muttley Jnr at home ... could pair it up to his phone maybe.

• I believe it caches a weeks worth - so that would be a solution?

Hmm - DCRainmakers preview of the 220 said:

"The FR620 will download this information via WiFi or USB anytime you upload a completed workout.  Meanwhile, the FR220 will do the same via USB upon uploading a new workout.  The cache is good globally (not specific to your hometown), and has 7 days worth of data in it.  Every time you synchronize the watch it extends that date."

• Numbers & stuff...

Yes, I like seeing this sort of stuff (e.g.)...

Avg Run Cadence: 195 spm Max Run Cadence: 218 spm Avg Vertical Oscillation: 6.0 cm Avg Ground Contact Time: 246 ms Avg Stride Length: 0.80 m

And

Time: 50:08 Moving Time: 50:04 Elapsed Time: 50:10 Avg Pace: 10:16 min/mi Avg Moving Pace: 10:15 min/mi Best Pace: 4:17 min/mi

But where are the graphs, how to you get the Garmin Connect site to show you the data. All the charts are empty and so is the bloomin' map. ???? image

Was on 2.2 firmware, now (after my run) updated to 2.3 so won't have more data until tomorrow.

I did try the faq etc. but... How do you get the graphs to show up in Garmin Connect?

• Just thought ' sod it. I'm getting one '. 

Sweatshop aren't showing the 620 at all, nothing, nada. Shows the 910, 220, and the rest of the family, but not the 620 if you click on the GPS watches button.

if you put Forerunner 620 in the search box there's two results, the black/blue 620 with HRM and the HRM only. 

The 620 clicks through to a 404 error, the HRM only is fine.

Grrrr

Grrrr

Grrrr

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Piggyback Rideplease wrote (see)

Numbers & stuff...

Yes, I like seeing this sort of stuff (e.g.)...

Avg Run Cadence: 195 spm Max Run Cadence: 218 spm Avg Vertical Oscillation: 6.0 cm Avg Ground Contact Time: 246 ms Avg Stride Length: 0.80 m

And

Time: 50:08 Moving Time: 50:04 Elapsed Time: 50:10 Avg Pace: 10:16 min/mi Avg Moving Pace: 10:15 min/mi Best Pace: 4:17 min/mi

But where are the graphs, how to you get the Garmin Connect site to show you the data. All the charts are empty and so is the bloomin' map. ???? image

Was on 2.2 firmware, now (after my run) updated to 2.3 so won't have more data until tomorrow.

I did try the faq etc. but... How do you get the graphs to show up in Garmin Connect?

For the Garnin Connect App (iphone/ipad), I had to update the app. For garmin connect over the web, it works as expected - maybe the page didn't load fully?

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

piggy - my graphs work fine on app and online. 620 with HRM.

chimney which are you trying to buy?

• My first hiccup!! It's hung..... Got confused in the car talking to iphone and it's now just hung.... will not turn off at all

Hummm where is the reset option....

• Chimney wrote (see)

Just thought ' sod it. I'm getting one '. 

Sweatshop aren't showing the 620 at all, ..

The 620 clicks through to a 404 error, the HRM only is fine.

Grrrr

I moaned at Sweatshop a few days back on their Facebook page. I also phoned them up & the person claimed a 404 error means it's out of stock. Sounds like a cr@p excuse for a bug to to me.

Anyway, I phone my local store several times and as soon as they had them I asked for one to be put aside. I then walked straight to them & got it.

Toro wrote (see)

piggy - my graphs work fine on app and online. 620 with HRM.

I sussed the problem with the graphs - it does not like the Firefox PC web browser. Why the f*k don't they make it work properly on all of them. Lazy & irritating.

Anyway, now I can get statistic overloaded.

• Shit won't sync to anything and will not turn off do power off yes then it just sits there... time to dig out the manual image

• Hold the power button down for 15 seconds... That worked. Phew! all happy again now. Got it's knickers twisted.

• Cricky, I thought I must be world champ when I saw a pace of 4'17" but I can see that this is a spike and not only that but it co-incides with a verticle oscillation of zero! Was I stopped (e.g. at lights) or was I bombing along!? Being an old git & dropping as low as 12m/m I suspect the former but nice to dream! image

• Piggyback Rideplease wrote (see)
    I sussed the problem with the graphs - it does not like the Firefox PC web browser. Why the f*k don't they make it work properly on all of them. Lazy & irritating.

Weird - works fine on my OS X Firefox and Windows versions (all updated to latest release and some on beta channel) on all my different systems - any strange extensions installed?

• Daeve wrote (see)
    Piggyback Rideplease wrote (see)

Weird - works fine on my OS X Firefox and Windows versions (all updated to latest release and some on beta channel) on all my different systems - any strange extensions installed?

I checked & Firefox claims to be the latest version. It's on MS Windows 7. There are some extensions loaded but nothing active.