London 2014 what realistic?

Hi All, 

I am wondering what target I should aim for in 2014. Last year I ran 4hrs and 26 seconds it was hard just missing the 4hr barrier. But since then my PB's have been improving. I am currently 1.28 for the half and 38min for 10k. I was planning on aiming for 3hrs 15mins for 2014 but I don't want to me unrealistic. Equally I don't want to pick an easy option. I don't mind hard work. London 2014 will be my second marathon. 

Is it worth booking myself in for another and see what shape I am in at present? 

Many thanks for all your help. 

Richard 

Comments

• Those half and 10k times should make 3:15 quite comfortably.

I did my first marathon in 3:12 off of slower times - 1:33 half.

Obviously it goes without saying that you will need to put in the training. Runner's World publish free marathon schedules for various times and I used those for my first marathon.

Good luck!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I got a 3.07 off a 1.28 half last year. You have plenty of time to work towards it. You could even be on for a GFA place if it all goes well.
  • I'd say you have proven your times if they were relatively recent, so I would work with those for rough targets / training paces

It would be good  to book in a half marathon in Feb / Mar so you can see what sort of form you are coming into, and that will help fine tune the marathon pace

• What's happened between April and now ? Those are some impressive improvements.
  • Thanks for the feedback so far. Just seen the good for age is 3.05......... My PBS were all set within last 4 weeks. 10k was the town and gown in Cambridge and 1/2 was the Folkestone half. 

i will keep going with the hard training and start upping the mileage each week. Not sure if it was a good idea or not but I have just entered the stort30 on a whim for next Sat October 27th......

i thought it would be a good idea to see when're im starting from at this moment and then it leaves me 24weeks to train for  London. 

Last year my prep was not good. I was a total novice who made every mistake in the book.. Wrong training, not enough long runs, very poor taper etc. 

• Get more long runs in this time and 3:15 sounds a very realistic time .

• Agreed. You've certainly got the speed from your 10k and half results - but you need to run a lot of 20 milers to make sure your endurance is there so you can do yourself justice.
  • macemace ✭✭✭

Richard - my opinion is that you are capable of GFA with the right training.

By coincidence ( and after doing a bit of photo stalking having seen you did the Folkestone Half image ), i was running with you back from Hythe at the Folkestone Half. I went by you at around the Golf Course and you re-joined me at the last water station - i was pissing about with my number which came undone so had to walk a few steps ( just after that some chap threw you a bottle of drink ? ) You were running very strong at that point and you must have got up that hill a bit better than i did image

Get the endurance right and you'll have no problems

• Hi Richard, I qualified for VLM with a half marathon of 1:29 this time last year, started the P&D 18-week 55-70 miles per week training plan with a goal of 3:15, revised that to 3:10 along the way, and ended up with 3:06. So there's no need to decide right now what your final goal is and depending on how training's going it seems plausible enough to go for a GFA time nearer the time.

• Hi Mace....,.,

I remember you stopping to play with your number and used that as my chance to get past you. I over took a few more on the hill and had a 3.20k for the last k. So I know I have the speed.

what away your final time? 

I am running the stort30 next weekend so will see what shape I'm in a present. But think will st struggle wondering past the 25k mark

• macemace ✭✭✭

I did 1:30:25

3:20 last k is some going as it's pretty much from the top of the hill and a gradual climb. Must have had a bit in the tank to do that ....

• I did the Stort30 Ultra yesterday..........

very difficult conditions underfoot and pulled my quad big time. 

I went past 37k in 3hrs 1min but then quad went.

Marathon in 3hrs 44min and finished 30miles in 4hrs 23min. 

I was on for a sub 3.30 before injury. This was done with no marathon training. Iingest run was the 1/2 marathon races.