Is it cheating ?

1235»

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

Mr A.why don't you test it...folow a stryctured run/ wlak programe......and see if you get a better result than your prefferred treadmill programme image

I don't need to, I just have to ask the women on the treadmill next to me how that technique is working out for them since they do that all the time. Thats if I can get them to lift their head from their Kindle that they are reading.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

It says something when Mr A has it bang on.

He's been wafflling on about the same subjects for long enough, it was bound to happen eventually image

• I like to think of it more like say Einstein ......... at first the general public don't get it, but the more he explained it, slowly they came round to understand his ideas and realising what a genius he was.

• It's simpler to think about a 4 hour runner at 9:10/mile speeding up by 20secs for the run section and a 2:10 hour runner at 5:00/mile speeding up by 20secs. That's a much bigger ask. There's a point where it just isn't possible to be faster. 

• seren nos wrote (see)

so Simon..... if someone ran / walked a world championship race and won......but a few other ran it all but came further done the field.......

you would think that the guy in 5th who ran it all was worthier of the gold medal than the guy who whipped his ass and came first

seren nos wrote (see)

TD.....there must be some races ultra world chakpionship races out there.......

i do not believe in the UTMB ets that the first guys runs every step including the aid stations.......and all the hills........

so I think the distance is immaterial.its first past teh post

Talking about Marathons, not ultras. As TD said, the clever little scenario you worked out wouldn't ever happen.

• Flob wrote (see)
    Lol mr Apunymouse is like Einstein? I always wondered what he looked like.

Mr Apunymouse? ........ did you come up with that all by yourself or did you get your mum to help you?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Mr A Nonymous wrote (see)

Mr Apunymouse? ........ did you come up with that all by yourself or did you get your mum to help you?

Raa man, mum cuss!

• it was either the mum cuss or gently get the discussion heading towards Godwins law.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Your mum's Hitler.

*thread closed*

• You guys, what are you like!   The concept of run walk is that it keeps energy and bounce in the legs, so most of the faster run walkers eg sub 3.30, don't walk after about 18m, but power past the macho, 'walking is for wimps' type folks towards the end. If someone gave you a new power gel, or great new shoes to take off 10 mins you'd bite their hands off, it's just a different way of optimising muscle usage.

I've only done a couple of slow marathons, but started at 52, after a lifetime of sloth, and only trained 2-3 times a week. but managed sub 5 hours with a very painful IT band problem from 10-20m, but the run walk meant I really did speed up when it went away and caught up quite a bit of time in last 6.   

Hoping to do better in Rome next year, fingers crossed!

• A guy actually done this in front of me on a 10k, he kept stopping and then running really fast past me again. He ended up finishing just in front of me and I did it in 43 mins.

• Hilary Woof wrote (see)

You guys, what are you like!   The concept of run walk is that it keeps energy and bounce in the legs, so most of the faster run walkers eg sub 3.30, don't walk after about 18m, but power past the macho, 'walking is for wimps' type folks towards the end. If someone gave you a new power gel, or great new shoes to take off 10 mins you'd bite their hands off, it's just a different way of optimising muscle usage.

I've only done a couple of slow marathons, but started at 52, after a lifetime of sloth, and only trained 2-3 times a week. but managed sub 5 hours with a very painful IT band problem from 10-20m, but the run walk meant I really did speed up when it went away and caught up quite a bit of time in last 6.   

Hoping to do better in Rome next year, fingers crossed!

Can you show me some youtube clips of past winners of say London, New York etc utilising this run/walk strategy you talk of?

Sadly the winner of the Berlin Marathon and World Record holder decided to ignore your advice and run the whole way. What a fool he is.

• Nobody ever said it was a strategy for winning. That isn't what this thread is about.

• But logically the process must follow that if you believe run/walk is a better strategy than running the whole way then it must be true of all runners, not some.

When in reality what the run/walk strategy allows you to do is just run until your tired with no real plan in terms of pacing. Its a lot more difficult to set out from the first instance intending to run the whole way and get your pacing strategy right so far more kudos should go to those people than a 'run till I drop then I'll have a walk till im not tired again before I have another jog' runners.

• Are we talking the Jeff Galloway method?

I ran/walked the Prague Marathon this year as thought it was the only way to get round without breaking having just run London 3 weeks before!  Plenty of people walking almost solidly the last few miles but we were all determined to finish.

Looking back i may as well have just ran it all but at a slower pace (probably ending up with a similar time) as although easy at first I lost discipline from mile 18 and started walking longer than planned.  At mile 23 or so I think i was walking 5 minutes, running 1, not what i planned and very difficult to get back to running each time.  The break every few minutes made me loose my rhythm so I do not think it worked for me.

Perhaps my legs just prefer a running/jogging motion, even one as slow as walking but if it works for you I don't see why not.

• The real Mr I wrote (see)

But logically the process must follow that if you believe run/walk is a better strategy than running the whole way then it must be true of all runners, not some.

It's not a better strategy, just a strategy.

The real Mr I wrote (see)

When in reality what the run/walk strategy allows you to do is just run until your tired with no real plan in terms of pacing.

That isn't how the strategy works.

• I'm not sure if he exactly beat me due to starting orders but I was close to the front so he probably did.  

I personally think however you get round is up to you, it's all about time at the end of the day, I would find it harder to do stop start because I like to get into a rhythm and switch off.

To be fair I felt I could have done better in that race anyway and I started way too quick to keep my pace going so ideally I should have beat him.

You don't see elite runners doing start stop because of Newton's laws of motion and inertia would mean they would expel more energy that way, momentum counts for alot when running I think.