Sub 4:30 anyone?

191011121315»

Comments

• hi all ......... I JUST DONT GET THIS "TAPERING " THING .... Last training run today 9 miles ,,,,took me 5 miles to get into rythem ( usually takes 2-3 ).... felt fine though . body and mind are telling me different things , I used to be so chilled out !!

cant wait now - all the hard work done.. sub 4.30 should be fine if I look after myself and don't get carried away    (4.15 target with rw pacer )   at least ill get my marathon PB           good luck TO ALL AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON !

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

When you feel tired in your last 10k and think bloody hell are we close to the end yet......... Imagine what that would be like when your muscles aren't relaxed and rested.... Just trust it image 

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Afternoon all! back from a week skiing and no broken bones!

glad to see taper madness setting in as normal.... I've quite enjoyed having a week away from it all - just hoping my legs can remember how to run now.......

FWIW, the one time I did crack 4h30, I had run a 1h57 half about 5 weeks beforehand. This time my half was 2h02 - so on that basis I remain unsure that I'm heading for a PB..... I do like the idea of assessing my pace at mile 15 though - I'll aim for a 2h14 half I reckon and take it from there.

weather today in London would have been ideal - fingers crossed for more of the same next week?

• Back to the drawing board for me I'm afraid image

Yes, it rained for over 4 hours and yes the wind was gusting at 30mph for a long time. As I turned at the halfway point (02:10:34) I did a check and all was fine but the stitch I had earlier returned and this time was with me until the end so a run/walk strategy was my only hope. I'm not sure if was caused by the stitch but my hips began to ache followed by my right glute and groin image

4:41:51 according to the Garmin (26.8 miles) so still a PB by 30 seconds a mile and should not be too upset with that.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear that Andi. I read somewhere that deep breathing helps getting rid of stitches. I've never had one yet.

It's so frustrating when all those months of training are thrown out by what would normally be 'just a stitch'.

Was watching the boat race yesterday and imagining what Cambridge must have felt like.

Have you booked your next one yetimage
  • Txs Tim and believe me, I had over 2 hours of trying to change my breathing to sort it image I tried 4:4, 3:4, 4:3, 3:3, 3:2 (you get the picture and peeps must have thought I was dancing).

The good news is before it happened I felt good and in (very) bad weather. Mull half in August and then my 'showdown' with Booktrunk at Loch Ness in September (though she needn't worry too much now lol).

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Andi: seriously that isn't bad, you had a pretty much spot on perfect first half.  You got a 14m PB .

things went wrong in the second half and you still coped, *hugs* i'd love to be able to do that sort of time when things go totally wrong. 

Make sure you rest properly this week and plenty of gentle stretches. I've found as I did no other exercise but running I had to vary it so did 2 month of core exercises over winter and now doing 120 leg lifts daily to help try to keep injuries away. 

The photos on Facebook made it clear it was awful conditions, that with your injury you picked upimage

I know you are frustrated, but look how far you have come, a bad day at the office is a 14m PB in a marathon,  let that sink in, you had a bad second half and still did a marathon below 4:45 image be proud you can do that on a bad day now, 4:20 is yours on a good day. 

see you at the start line in September. Whisky n pride on the line image 

TimR: 28th September Loch Ness marathon is the great Steph v Andi showdown. image 

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Andi sorry to hear your news. BUT 4h41 is still a great time? One of the problems with the marathon is that lots of small things remain outside our control - even the perfect training programme doesn't guarantee the perfect race. A PB is still a PB - knock another 30 seconds off each mile and you can smash 4h30 next time?

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm desperately trying to work out how I can justify a flight to and two overnight stays in Scotland now...
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

C'mon TimR find a way, this could be a classic image EUROSPORTS should buy the rights, they could fit a lot of ad breaks in the speed we go.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I seem to be just quicker, but I am doing a 50m ultra the Sunday before. Andi is catching up and does about 50% more miles than I do. but I've got 4 weeks until my Spring marathon, so. Might be able to stretch my PB advantage, which is just below 5 minutes at the moment. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I have to say I really though Andi would smash it, I think it's made me a lot more nervous, MK Marathon Is the only one I do with pacers, I was really considering going hard and try hanging on the 4:15 pacer, but now i'm not so sure and think brains over valour..... Maybe I should just stick with sub 4:30 pacer, last year she did 4:28:45 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Luck everyone xxxxx

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Bloody hell, two sisters trying to both run sub 2:30 !!! Yikes.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So.....

How did people from this thread get on at the weekend anyone doing any running, here there was a little marathon going on somewhere.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Was doing fine at halfway 2:03 a bit behind schedule. Then the heat got to me. I don't do sun! 4:51:29...

That's me done until late Autumn, back to the halfs for now.
  • PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Hi guys...Tim well done, you still did it!  All I can say is...well that was bloody hard!   I felt sick quite a lot of the time.  had to take walking breaks at miles 22, 24 and most of 25. The pain in my legs was outrageous....my quads had just cramped up...I seriously thought I was ruined for ever.  I thought I had finished in 5 hours but for some reason managed a 4:36:01.  How I did that, I'll never know.   It was an amazing experience and every mile from about 18 I was saying "never ever again"....of course I now want to beat my time!  Can't walk and still buzzing from my achievement.    I really enjoyed running amongst all the fancy dress, the crowds were amazing but sometimes I did get a little much...I loved Blackfriars tunnel and I just didn't give a hoot about my finish time...I just wanted to finish!   I really think the time that you finish is irrelevant....the distance is outrageous!  Welldone Tim x

• Hi all ... well done to all that finished London on sunday ... I was very lucky and finished in 4hrs 16m 11s.i don't know what went wrong with my watch as I thought I was quicker ( must have pressed stop instead of lap on 1 mile !!!!! )   but the chip never lies ,, im so chuffed ,

nothing could have prepared me for the wall of noise that greated us at canary wharf and all the way home from mile 23 ,where it started to really hurt . thanks to everyone that shouted my name !! I will never forget this !!  and as for the emotional side ....im 6'4" and im not supposed to cry.

I still get goose bumps talking to people about the support we all had !!

DO IT AGAIN -- NOT THIS YEAR ....

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Congrats image great time.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

TimR: awwwww image unlucky 

pipski: well done image 

• Nice one Fit for Fourty image

Pipski, so close so that means it will be a breeze to smash 4:30 next time out image

Tim, I feel for you and am still confused how you can train at sub 4 pace then buckle during the race (though it was probably the warmest day of the year). Have you considered a couple of (very) slow 25 milers in training or maybe even 2-3 4:30 jogs?

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

That's exactly what I thought....!  I only did one 20 miler and that was 7 weeks before the race.  I was undertrained but injury free.  Next time I will do several 20 milers and will definitely include a 22 miler 4 weeks before.   My next goal would be not to walk at all...I think I wasted about 20 minutes doing this........whatever way you dress it up, 26.2 miles is a hell of long way....!

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys.

Andi. It's a strange one that doesn't make a lot of sense. At Reading Half I did 1:48. Just under 8:15/mi. On Sunday I hadn't even reached halfway and thought I was going to die. At 12miles I just suddenly felt drained. Dropped right back to 9:30/mi yob try and hang in. In training I can knock out 10miles in 1:28 week in week out. That's 8:50/mi.

Maybe it was just a big day. The crowds were immense, there's no hiding from them, I don't do the sun. It just wasn't my day. That's marathons for you.

Back to halfs for the summer and a couple of park runs I think. Then a November marathon.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

TimR don't take this wrong but it seems a marsthon isn't a physical challenge, it's the mental side thst you need to get sorted, you easily have the pace, I'm not sure if it's self belief thst you need. 

Maybe you need to look at how you approach the races, you are way faster then just about anyone on this thread. 

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Tim, I had a very similar experience to you. I thought Tower Bridge was going to be one of the magic moments, but as soon as I stepped onto the Bridge, I felt sick, light headed and thought I could faint.  I too half way through felt tired and had nausea at several points.  Speaking to a lot of people on the train home, lots of others felt sick and tired at the half way point.  I think the weather had a huge role to play in that.   Don't beat yourself up...you're a great runner, you have a pace I could only dream of and your half marathon's are amazing.   A lot of my friends who were going for 4:20 finishes came in at just under 5 hours....it proves how tough it really is.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I was quite disappointed with the whole event to be honest.

Because of the crowds and the way the route twists and turns you don't get to take in much. It's definitely an event for the audience.

The best bit for me was around mile 4-6 when you're going past pubs with live bands and the roads are really wide.

Tower Bridge suddenly appears and then you're over it. Canary Warf takes ages to get to and there's nothing else to look at.

Then on the way back from Canary Wharf to Parliament Square there's not a lot to see.

I'm definitely a 500-1000 person event man. At 18-22 miles I want to be on my own looking at inspirational views not with thousands of people shouting my name and telling me I can do it. Lol.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner and know all these sights and maybe take them for granted.

In June I'll be doing another 'Monopoly Run' where we visit all the sites on the Monopoly board. We take our time, it's about 16miles and a great route.

I've done London. Next marathon will be in November and I have a plan...
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Cool image 

i've only had one run with over 550 competitors image know what you mean, my first ultra, only about 80-100 spread over three distances. London is totally different image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It's gone a bit quiet here. How are people getting on?

I've entered Stevenage Marathon 2nd November.

A few months of lower mileage training for halfs then I think a 12 week program starting in August.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I did shit image not enough time to get over my chest infection was only 5 days after finishing antibiotics, perfect up to 22km coughed up phlegm and that was it, just staggered home in 4:51 after that, still it's my second fastest marathon, and knowing I was utterly shite and did that is encouraging. the great Andi v Steph race at Loch Ness is on.

i'm now doing ultra training for various ultras up to and including January. Then full blast next Spring, my plan is highish Milage for me, and just completely winging it at Loch Ness just hoping my endurance training and a 86m run 5 weeks before and a 50m LSR the week before Loch Ness will somehow convince my body LN  isn't to bad, so I can fly around, I then start tapering as soon as LN is over for my first 100.

Edit: I realise there might be one or two holes / loose ends in my plan, but it will at least focus Andi on sub 4:30 having to keep up with me for as long as he can  

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

How great that you are both still entering races.  I'm still out there, pounding the pavements, but not doing the mileage I was before.  I did 10 miles last Sunday and I am much fitter now, after the marathon.  Did 9mm the whole way.   Blimen shin splints and now a sore hip though...I'm too old for this!    I am carring an extra 4lbs though since not putting in 40 miles a week and I feel very blooby.  I did enter the London Marathon again, but I know I won't get in.  With two kids it's quite hard to persuade hubby so I can race again....my time will come!  I love hearing about your progress though.... Tim, November should be nice a cool...so I reckon this will be the one for you matey image