Options

Sub 4:30 anyone?

Comments

• Options

Nice long slow for me today.  For the first time in ages I kept the pace really slow at 11:30 ish miles and HR was at 70% the whole way and a new pb at Parkrun on Saturday makes for a good weekend

• Options

I had a peebee at parkrun on Saturday too - only 3 seconds, but a peebee is a peebee image

• Options

I can't even remember what I've been up to. Course PB at parkrun last weekend, first cross country race the weekend before, which was great fun. Still ticking over now. Training plan finalised and stuck on the wall.

• Options

Good running everyone.

I'm loving just doing six weeks heart rate training upto the new year.  So just slooooooow running

• Options

Hello

Just found this thread and thought I'd say hi. Great to hear people thinking about the same things as I am - particularly the gels. Maybe need to try those or jelly babies sometime.

Doing London in April, first marathon and never done a half. No idea how long it'll take but I've been building up the miles, vaguely following Hal Higdon Novice 2. Did 9 miles the other week in 1hr 23. Did 10 miles on Sunday, took 1 hour 39. Pace varied a bit throughout for both.

Don't know much about heart rates but mine tends to be in the 140s or low 150s for LSRs. I'm 35, so MHR is 220-35=185? Does about 150 sound OK or too high?

It can go higher on a parkrun!

• Options
    Higher than 150 on a 5k. It should go well above 150 or do you mean higher than 185?

185 is a very loose estimate and probably well below your true max HR. if you're going over 185 on a park run then use whatever that figure is for your Max.

After you've been running for a year do a max test. In the mean time just revise it upwards after you do a hard race if it shows a higher HR.
  • Options

Just seen the discussion on HR. I have a garmin watch, and thinking about adding the HR strap to my xmas list. Do people find them comfortable and worth while using?

• Options
    Yes to all questions.

You do have to understand what information it's giving you though. Which takes at least a year by the time you've gone through a few races and a hot summer and a cold winter.
  • Options

OK thanks Tim, will add it too the list! - another thing for the wife to get me. haha

Any tips on anylsing the data would also be welcomed.

• Options

Well looks like I am getting done in the #asics262 competition despite getting over 1400 votes. 

so I am not looking for suggestions of other good spring marathons to look at? 

• Options

TimR - thanks. For parkrun my HR has been in the 190s but never over 200. I've no real idea what other people's HR is but I guess everyone's different anyway. I feel comfortable in my longer runs so 150 might be fine. I've been running for some time but never done a max test so might do one.

Dave - i've not used the HRM to train by but the info is definitely interesting. Good luck with the asics.

• Options
    I would use the highest value you've seen. It will be close enough. Mine has hit 194, I'm 44 so calculated would be 176. 176 is around what I average during a half marathon.

Training wise, my long runs are kept below140, intervals will be above 160 with lactate threshold runs 150min.

However, I take my paces from McMillan calculator and use my HR on the flat at the prescribed pace to determine my pace up a hill. So I'll slowdown up a hill but try to keep my heart rate relatively constant.
  • Options

Some days I think a sub 4:30 is dead easy, only another 7 minutes. Other days I think how the hell will I ever take that much off my time. 

• Options

Just over 15 miles in 2h 59m very slow, but heart rate was averaging 133 after 3 miles and kept it at 133 after the 15.1 miles. image so reckon I can comfortably do a sub 5 even in training, I was struggling to go slow enough to keep hr down at 133 feeling good image

• Options
    13.25 miles in 2hr 12min, with an average of 10min / mile, although first half out were around 9:30 pace with some miles even quicker, as had wind behind me but second half was a struggle into the wind. A good run all the same as I didn't feel 100% before hand although I'm now full of cold and feel rubbish.

Booktrunk - by the way you are training it looks like you will have no trouble going under 4:30. I need to take a leaf out of your book and learn to pace myself better.
  • Options

10.5 miles in 2 hours for me.  Struggled a bit more to keep the HR down below 140 today than last week but putting it down to it being a bit warmer.  Random garmin spiking at the start probably didnt help.  Its odd to be shuffling along and seeing you rate up at over 200!!

• Options

Up the boro good run that's pretty much the pace I went through half way on my last Mara 2:11:30 and ended up with a 4:36 image was pissing down and had a 2 min delay with a blister issue. So I reckon if you can take another 4 or 5 min off you'll easily crack 4:30

• Options

Dave reeve. Manchester is same day as Paris so would mean you are occupied on the day image or if further south mk is a fine Mara I'm doing that on bank holiday Monday in early May 

• Options

Hi Booktrunk,

thanks for the reply, yes I am looking at mara's if i am not successful in the 26.2 project. As i say in my thread I have the ambition to do a marathon, if that is through the project brilliant. If not I will look at other options.

• Options

Great job everyone, putting me to shame! This week I have a couple of club training runs which will be nice steady efforts, long run on Friday (10 miles) and cross country race on Sunday. Oh, and it is definitely Christmas - two buffets and one curry on the cards too!

• Options
    I've run 56miles in the last 7 days. Including Sunday's long run. 16miles, which was 12miles @ 10:20/mi followed by 4miles at 9:00/mi.

I recommend the 3/4 slow with last 1/4 at marathon pace. Feels really good to finish fairly quickly but with loads still in the tank.

Wednesday I ran 10, with 4 @hmp. and at mile 6 ate a Manuka honey energy bar. Which was interesting. Needs water.
  • Options

Timr are you sure you are in the right thread image this is sub 4:30 not sub 3:15 image great work. When is your next marathon? 

• Options
    London.

No. I'm not sure I'm in the right thread.

Has anyone ever knocked an hour off their PB before?
  • Options
    I'm convinced the intervals are the key. I've only been doing them for about 8 weeks.

I have a 10mile race on 29th December.

Depending on how I do in that will depend on next years target time. It may well be 3:50. In which case I'll move threads. image
  • Options

Nooooimage I was jokingimage

we can all aspire to be that quick image

i don't know about an hour, but I knocked 54m off this year at Leicester over the same course from 5:30 in good weather to 4:36 in awful weather (and the 2nd time was 3 weeks after my 1st ultra). 

• Options

Personally I really believe it's in the long runs to get the differential between the two halves down. Starting at a steady pace is sooo important as well I have learnt from experience starting to quick just defeats the object. 

• Options
    It's more about specifically targeting your training to cover your weaknesses.

It's quite easy to just go out and plod away slowly for several hours on a Sunday believing that it's doing us good.

There are a lot of training plans and a wealth of wisdom out there.

I'm pretty much sold on the long run not being much longer than 2:30. I'm stretching it to 2:40. The intervals at VO2 max to raise my base fitness and the threshold runs to work on the lactate threshold.

Last year I worked hard on my LT runs and saw almost immediate improvements, dropping 5mins off my half in only a few weeks.

The long run helped me continue running through 18miles on the day having started out at a pace slightly faster than my long run training pace. But getting stressed over trying to fit multiple 20milers in that were taking 3:20 and leaving me drained for two or three days after aren't something I'm keen to repeat. Having done 4 marathons now, I may possibly do one 20mile run but think it's unlikely unless I suddenly gain masses of speed.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Tim what is an LT run?  I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme.  This is my first marathon and I too am running the London.  I'm running 30 miles a week, (I see you are running almost double that!).  I think you are following the advanced programme. My last long run was at 10 minute miles (14 miles), which was very comfortable.  You sound like a seasoned marathoner!   I've been running consistenly now for 8 weeks and only now I think my legs have got used to the stress.  I'd love to get faster....any tips for me?  I think my marathon pace will be about 9:30......I do try and run my long runs even slower than 10 minute miles....so I put in some walking stops and I also nip to the loo a few times! 

• Options
    My advice is to just continue as you are. You have good fitness already but need to build up 'miles in your legs' before doing speed work.

I'll repeat myself and say you really should find a half marathon to run. This will be a valuable learning experience before the big day. It'll teach you about starting out to quickly and it will also give you proper paces for training.

As for Lactate Threshold: You store energy (glycogen) in your blood stream, liver and muscles. As you exercise your muscles use up the energy and produce waste (lactate). Your blood carries this back to the liver where it is converted back to energy (glycogen) and the cycle repeats. At low intensities the lactate gets converted very quickly. As the intensity increases there comes a point where you're using glycogen and producing lactate quicker than your liver can process it. This is your Lactate Threshold. By training at that level your body adapts and becomes more efficient at doing the conversion.

All very technical. Your LT pace is somewhere between your 10k and your Half Marathon pace. I believe running around 20mins a week at that pace should be enough.

More reason for you to do a half and determine a proper pace for your training.image
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to explain LT for me.  I have a half marathon booked in for March, so should know by then my predicted race times.   I will keep going as I am then.  Thanks again Tim!