Gran Canaria Marathon

Looking at doing this event and would like feedback as to how well organised the event is and is it worth entering.

Comments

• Have you signed up, rh?

Looking at this one as the timing of the race in January is perfect for my 2014 plans.

• I'm in!

flights, hotel and race entry - all booked image

PS - I'm doing thre half not the full marathon though.

• I think I might be up for it as well, looking at a few days of cycling, marathon then wine. Any hotel recommendations Andy?

• Me and a few people I know Kate are booked into the Faycan Hotel.

It's close to the beach, near the shopping malls, was good value and had some good reviews.  Some of the gang are going for the weekend, and some of us are there for the week image

• PS - count me in for the wine image

• Maspalomas / Costa Melenera is quite a nice part of the island, although some way from Las Palmas if that is where the race is being held.
  • I was thinking if a few daas in Maspalomas then on to Las Palmas for the race, thanks for the recommendation Andy.

• Its doable on the bus if you stay in Playa del Ingles or Maspalomas.  My bf did it last year and we are both doing it this year.  Loads of goodies for ya money but its absolutely hilarious if you don't speak Spanish

• Nutty - Do you think Spanglish will get me by? image

• You should be ok.  I didn't run it but we found all the marshalls were all college/uni students who should of maybe learnt a little bit of English but nope.  I had to go to find the stand which had the tourist info with a lady that spoke enough English who then directed us to get the numbers.  That was the fun part.  It was basically get ya passport out, wave and point.The actual race was the daftest part.  The full marathon is two laps,  at the end of the lap it filters out into a three lane street.  Makes sense when you aren't running ie marathon numbers to the left/middle lane half marathon/right lane 10km. However the signs telling you what to do were all in Spanish and there was one marshal there yabbering on in Spanish. I kept having to pick out the Scandinavians or those in English club vests and shouting them to the correct side.  My own bf who did the half after I directed him into the correct lane got sent round again for the full but realised very quickly and stopped.  He rated it enough for me to have a go this year. I haven't had chance to scratch my head at the website again yet but im assuming number collection is in the same place and if so it should be quite easy now I know

• But deffo rate the goodies you get and the medal is worth the money just on its own image

• Last year you got a rucksack,a tech tshirt,towel and some other bits before you start.  At the finish you got another long sleeve Tech shirt with either 42km or 21km finisher on it and your medal etc

• Thanks for the info Nutty - I'm looking forward to the run, but also to the week "chilling" afterwards too.

Mind you I flyback to the UK on Sat 1 Feb, and Sun 2 Feb is the Watford HM -could be chilly!

I'm hopefully going to meet with some running pals who've done this before so their knowledge should help for both number collection and the event.

• Just entered the Gran Canaria Marathon today...NO confirmation AT ALL!!

Then tried to pay by CC

Seemed to take just ???15. Not the ???40 as is required!!

Any help on number collection, timescale for number issue and location of Expo or whatever it's called there??!!

Website is poor ..

Just recovered from Valencia... What a brilliant event... tho number collection could of been easier... Go there get a ticket... go there get your number... scan your chip.. Go outside and get your t shirt!

We need a good translator on here!
  • Glad to help if there's anything not clear / easy to understand on the webpage.
  • Yep website is poor but as ive said previously it is a good event
  • Be careful when entering online...

i filled in all the details, paid by Credit Card,then realised I had entered the 10k instead of the Marathon....

The 10k drops down by default....so a waste of € 15 Euro tokens !   BEWARE...

Now re done it and entered for the Marathon at €40.  

No email received to verify entry though!!   Though you can scroll down the list of entrants !!

sounds a good event....roll on????

NO point of contact either!!

• UPDATE. 

Race numbers should be collected on:
    • Thursday 23rd January from 12:00!–!21:00
    • Friday 24th January form 10:00 – 21:00
    • Saturday 25th January from 10:00 – 21:00, in Plaza de Canarias, Parque Santa Catalina.

It is necessary to show an official ID document such as a passport when collecting your number. During
    the race numbers must be clearly visible in the chest at all times. It will not be possible to collect numbers
    on the day of the race. Race numbers may be collected by another person on your behave with the
    presentation of your identity card or passport (photocopies are allowed)

• I've registered for the 2015 half but am stuck when it comes to the payment. Did they accept credit cards last year as that doesn't seem to be an option.

I would pay by bank transfer but my bank won't make the payment without the bank or recipient's address, neither of which were provided. 

Has anyone that entered previously got any advice they can give? I've emailed the organisers and put a message on Facebook too. At least I have 9 months to get it sorted!

Thanks.