Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Sir J O L welcome to the only thread that matters. Road shoes all the way i think and there are plenty that wear racing flats. I've run it 3 times and and this year was first time I wore a belt with own bottle (750ml electrolyte) and gels. Really worked well and as Nick said can treat aid stations as a bonus then.

Nick - yep I'll enquire about the house and possibly book this week image my plan is to bring the whole family so this was a nice way to do that. There will im sure be quite a few from LB and MK too so shouldn't be too hard to fill.

Brer - thanks. I think I was still in shock at what I managed to pull off, I kept waiting for the wheels to fall off but they never did. Also jealous that you are still in Llanberis!!

TRex - thanks for the new list image
  • SJaL - definitely road shoes - I think even if I'd been wearing my favourite trail shoes on Saturday they wouldn't have prevented me from going a over t on the descent! Water belt probably a ggood idea - my only slight criticism of the race are the water cups/containers they handed out - the open ones I was given were practically empty by the time I tried to drink from them. There are, however, plenty of gels handed out - I was surprised at how many drink stations they were being handed out at! With a PB of 3h47m, I'd say 4h20m should be well within your capabilities

NB - 75 races this year to date??? I've only done 5!!

• Anyone know next years race date? I presume it will be the 25th October?

if it is looks like Halford Hill (SNOD house) isn't available image someone may have beaten us to it. If the weekend before though it is available. I will look at other options too.
  • Hotel booked for weekend of the 25th... that date seems a reasonable assumption to me?

Sir J A L - yes, definitely road shoes. The trail sections are a bit fiddly but don't take up enough of the course to justify a change of footwear IMO. Try not to wear out the soles completely before SNOD though, as you will appreciate having a modicum of traction whizzing down mile 26...

I took my Camelbak rather than a belt, just water. There was no shortage of gels being handed out this year so I didn't regret not carrying any.

In other news, Marathon Foto are utter rob dogs, Just wanted to get that off my chest!

• Agree re marathonfoto.com DH - have a look at sports pictures cymru (just Pen-y-Pass pics up so far):

http://www.sportpicturescymru.co.uk/pages/gallery/2013-gallery.php?gall_id=222

• Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Missed the last two, injury and family circumstances. Will be back next year aiming for 3:30.

• Thanks for link JB (I'm unfortunately obliterated by the smiling girl just ahead of me - perhaps better photographic material! image)

• Afternoon!image Yes, I have booked my hotel for next year- but can cancel it with a week's notice should I not be back. All depends on how next year's other races fall. And, bucking the trend, I am going to do MORE ultras next yearimage

• Then again, I have fot 5 coasters, which is a bit of an odd number...

• T Rex, the 'race within a race counted as two', naturally. image

I gave Marathonfoto some stark advice a couple of years back that if they cut their charges to more realistic levels they'd make more money because people would actually buy their products. They're living in cloud cuckoo land and obviously targeting the wrong market with their activities. Corporate photo assignments for rich City financial establishments might be more appropriate if they have such high remunerative expectations. As they're American, perhaps they're confusing Pounds with Dollars and doubling instead of halving what they get.

On the assumption that the Snowdonia Marathon is responsible for their engagement, it's about time they kicked them into touch for an outfit that lives in the real world of real people, real wages and real financial obligations.

"100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE" is quoted on their website. As I said, cloud cuckoo land. GET REAL, MarathonFoto.

Right, that's got that off my chest as well.

• AAA(as an american), marathonfoto does some of the races that I run and their prices are not as ridiculous as these are. I've only bought 3 photos over the years: my first marathon, Marine Corps with the US Capitol behind me, and St George in the Utah high desert. Not only are the Snod pictures ???? but mine could be taken anywhere.

Legs seem to be asking for a run so I will be heading out on streets of Cardigan soon.

Great to read all of the reports.
  • Thanks for that link John. There are some good pictures on there.  My God, I'm balder than I thought. The question is, do I keep what I've got or shave it off? Hmmm.

I'm on for the SNOD house.

• LE, when I look in the mirror I see hair.

that same hair miraculously disappears and reappears depending on whether there's a phoographer about......  image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I just have heavy hair - it just grows out through my chin now!image

Marathonfoto prices imageimageimage
    (but would have considered buying one at a more reasonable price image )
    Will await further photos from sports pictures cymru ...

• When I crossed the finish line this year, I said to my friends that I'd never do it again.

A lot of hurt was felt up on Blwch y Groes! I cramped up loads and really suffered on the descent. The first 21 miles were great. I just seemed to fall apart after I had started walking. Still managed an improvement of 3 minutes upon last years time though!

Anyway, having mulled it over this week, I have unfinished business with you Marathon Eryri! I'm going to try and take the approach of my good friend Dennis Hussey and break that last climb down into chunks to shuffle my way to the top without stopping. I did say try!

• HP - that's the spirit!! And it really is the ONLY way to tackle THAT hill. Don't even give yourself the option of walking it and you'll find that it's far easier!! It's not physical and all mental!! How many times do we say that on this thread but it's true!

Seems my marathonfoto comment has stirred some feeling!! It really is corporate greed. What our good american friend Pete said is very true. I also bought a photo from them for my first marathon and THAT is their target market!!! I guess the reassuring thing (if there is a silver lining to their greed) is that marathons are getting so popular that evidently they can get away with this pricing policy.

Parkrun today for me.. image

• I decided to stay on this time rather than go quiet as i'm injured. Really, really wanting to get back running though. 

Maybe just a gentle jog will be alright........

• Hi everyone. Wow there are a lot of coasters on this thread! I am new here and although I have only one marathon under my belt I intend to have two more there by the time SNOD comes around next year and I have heard so many great things about this race that I really want to get in on the action. I ran London this year (4hr 24) and it has really inspired me to run more, I only took up running 4 years ago and wish I had started earlier. I have been mostly running parkruns and half marathons this year and managed to get my half PB down by 8 mins to 1hr 44. Next year I am down for Paris, hoping to get on to Yorkshire and would love a crack at Snowdonia. I like a good hill but I know I will not have experienced anything like the Snod hills before. Any advice would be appreciated...

• Welcome Red Dave, once you're in you never leave........  image

There are substitutes for running up big and long hills, from inclines on a tready to finding the longest hill around you and running repeats on it ( though not as a hill repeat sprint, just easy/medium pace).

and someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon to give you the actual best way of doing it. 

Been to the sadist this morning for some work on my calf, feels so much better for it. Should fbe fine for Clowne half. image 

• Hi team, back in the real world after leaving Waunfawr yesterday in true Snod style weather. Back on laptop too so can read all after-race posts properly rather than on phone. Great to see some new names on here too.

Chimney, you getting in with the Chesterfield scene now, Clowne Half is great. Hope injury clears up quickly. Well, done all my unpacking, time to re-pack now..off shortly to Telford for a 4pm marathon tonight in the wind and rain, dressed in Halloween gear for the event is called The Spooky Challenge!image

• Red Dave - welcome. I think you got it spot on with training plan! I used Parkruns almost exclusively between August and Oct with little long run training and came into SNOD fresh as a daisy! With a few halves thrown in there too which will be my strategy in 2014 should see us both flying up Pen y Pass! image

Parkrun PB today too!! image

• Is the marathon on the same weekend every year ?

Tried for a PB today at parkrun (woodbank) but the long miles and Chinese on fri night defeated me again. Damn that Satay Chicken and egg fried rice. Mmmmm 

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Sir j-a-l the race is normally the last weekend in Oct, not sure if there's an official date for next year yet..

Just back from a half-term trip with the girls to see my sisters and niece&nephew - I've been living in N Wales far to long as getting off the train at euston and suddenly facing the chaos that is the underground is far more exhausting than the marathon!! Had a great time&catch up though image now time to dig the running shoes out and get out again... image (of course back to work again on Monday, but I'll forget about that for a bit longer!)

Hope it wasn't too scary in Telford Brer!
  • Yes Official date is the 25th October 2014. And because it falls on the half term weekend unfortunately accommodation prices are rocketing! One landlord was after £1,200 for three nights (10 berth house), which was only £700 on the previous and following weekends!

BritNick/Chimney/Trex/JD - Halford Hill isn't available (someone beat us to it!), so I've been looking everywhere for someone else that sleeps 6-10 people but nothing in Llanberis. I guess everyone wants to definitely stay in Llanberis? Found a few nice 6-berth cottages 3 miles out. Interested, or shall we all go our separate ways and get some accommodation wherever we can...?

• Booked in at Tyddyn Perthi Farm, looks really nice. Double room Fri to Sunday for £160. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

image  Where's my tent?

Would need to be in walking distance, Stu.  Sorry about plan for SNOD house not working out, but perhaps might find something reasonable.

• Morning all,

Brer, hope you survived last nights trauma's and you aren't zombiefied. image

USD, image On the house. I'm a tad on the lazy side so a 3 mile walk into town and back isn't appealing! ( And nor is a tent at Nant Peris T Rex ).

Just in case I've stuck my name against a twin room at Lake Padarn so I have somewhere if all other plans fall through. I'll spend some time looking to see what I can find as I won't be running today.

• Good afternoon Team, looking for digs already-now that is organised! TRex, not the tent matey..weather bound to be appalling next year.

Survived my ordeal but only just. Had to abandon costume as my devil's wings were flapping so much in the wind, I was in danger of taking off-never to be seen again. Tough course due to terrain and mud, made worse by the fact that it was 31 laps of the same route through a forest so it was well and truly churned up. One of the most unusual marathons I've done hindered by headtorch malfunction at one point which plunged me into total darkness except for the faint glimmer of small glowsticks put on the course to guide runners. Anyway, trotted around in 4hrs 18 mins and was 2nd lady ( well I didn't look like a lady at the end, more like a bog hopper) All good fun thoughimage

• Chimney - check your messages. One from me re accommodation. Only a 1 mile walk away image

Trex - sent you a text. Your RW account doesn't except personal messages. Message me your email address and I'll forward on details.

Britnick - same applies. Sent you RW message and email with details.

Brer - I know! Far too organised but want it sorted early and get best deal (hopefully). Did you tell everyone on here about almost missing the marathon coz you were locked in your shower!! image