Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• imageuds.I'M glad I decided not to jump out of the window starkers in the dark,it was about a 10 foot drop

• well that no doubtably would have influenced the outcome, one way or other Brer!image

XC cancelled here as roads flooded
  • UDS, replied in the affirmative. 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Brer - well done on 2nd lady - would naked count as a halloween costume?

I did a very enjoyable 6ish miles yesterday despite a mini thunderstorm as i left the house tbh if i hadn't of know the girls would be waiting for me at the car park i'd of turned tail home image

Then today went up to CyB and did a 5 mile loop with Mr C and the dogs then they retreated to the cafe while i did another loop image

• Great running Chrissi - well done!

Loving your exploits Brer - are you trying to emulate TRex  image

Chimney - Clowne half is a great race and it'll be my third time this year.  Are you entered Brer?

Ran Shepshed 7 today (another race to recommend) and finished in 61 mins (or thereabouts), so pretty pleased just one week on from Snod.  image

• Lol Other half, the story behind the shower scene almost became the remake of Psycho!

Good running Chrissi and SD, no clowne for me this year, cant fit it in amongst the marathonsimage

JD, I see the Newcastle Racecourse marathon/ultra had been 'certified' nowimage

• Just as thought SNOD was enough of a challenge ... I appear to have entered Smartwool Tigh nam Bodach Ultra Run 50K on the 30th of this monthimageimage

• Love this thread, you lot are brilliant. Make me laugh. 

Good Snowdon training this morning. 15 mile hilly run one the pouring rain. Well, I thought it was hilly but then I realised was only 643 foot. Did run it all though, which I doubt I'll do at snowdon. 

• Travelodge caernarvon will be open for bookings at beginning of December... Got 2 nights for £50 this year!!

Did a little 5 mile shiffle with running club last Tuesday (legs hardly moving) then Halloween Track or Treat Night on Thursday so zombie shuffle came in handy. Headed out to Hackney parkrun (as local one cancelled!!) and 2 flat tyres (nails, grrr!!) so did 5 miles medium run Saturday evening. Didn't think I'd be up for much Sunday at Billericay 10k, buy a lovely day, a little blowy and a great BIG (for Essex) hill at the start meant my SNOD legs gave me a PB for the year, 41:32!! Got over took and bunched in and the fvckers slowed down, so gave them a proper Brownlee-style talking to and got everyone motoring... Idiots.

Hog Hill 5k (local cross country league, ran on a tarmac cycle track at night) tomorrow, track Thursday, then on me holidays to Dorset for a nice week away and some parkrun tourism (one of the SW London ones, Old Deer park maybe, and Yeovil!)

Be safe out there...

• Lemmy - running rage lol

I can't believe that people (except for Brer) are racing even short distances this soon after SNOD.  Think i need to stop talking myself out of things (runs/distances/races) and just go for it as it's obviously very possible.

Headtorch very wobbly on dog walk this morning, hopefully it just needs new batteries otherwise it's another £?? invested in runningimage

• 14.1 run (not raced) this morning.
    Sunny and Dry (above the knees!image)

• Nutters image

Still no running for me yet. Next race outing Percy Pud 10k 1st December.

• Anyone doing Conwy Half ? 

• Blimey, its cold around here. Steady 12 miler post-Spooky marathon exploit and now trying to revive Salomons ready for Saturday's Hardmoors Goathland marathon. Digs booked, a dive as usual but will be an adventureimage

Note to above posters, nutters on here-you are kidding! We are sane, honest ( as they carry me away in shacklesimage)

Other Half, you seem to be leading the way to sanityimage

• sir john - i am image

dark 3.5 miles tonight torch not just dim but turning off after a few seconds . told mr c it must be broken cos if battries it would just be dim or not working st all. he gave me a look , put neew batteries in it and fixed it. he's now quite worried about me attrmpting a fell race on saturday cos he says if i can't work a torch how will i manage to nsvigate. don't think it helped when i told him the only hard bit is when you leave the wall to go over t the trig point and you can see it unless it's really misty.- maybe i'll reconsider if yhe weathersreally bad.

• Can't compete with you Brer! image

• SJaL - the Conwy half is a cracking route - I've done the route (& various sections of it) quite a few times, although I've never done the race! It's a very well organised event!

• Do Conwy every year. Fab race, weathers been great every year. Great start to Christmas 

• Hiya,

Chrissi, if you're still going up you haven't got to the trig point yet image You'll be fine.

congrats on the PB Lemmy, good going.

Other Half, few can compete with Brer, the trophy's prove it image

I'm not racing yet, won't ( He says now, of course come the start line that'll go out the window ) do more than jog fast at Clowne half in a couple of weeks. Calf seems to be healing well. Physio did some work on it, I've been massaging it. 

Hadn't done more than walk around the house and at work up to Saturday. Went out on the local hills with Mrs C & the dogs for a slow 7m. could feel it, especially if I forgot and started striding out, or on the up's. Had some residual pain in the evening. Went out on Sunday for a 5m walk/jog (walk up the hills, jog the flats and steady downs). Could feel it, but nothing that was suggesting I should stop. Bit of pain for a few hours after. Out yesterday morning for a 4m jog. Seemed ok but had to shorten my stride a lot on the ups.

Was going to go out with the club tonight with the intention of going with the beginners group. Then realised that by the time I got there, I'll have talked myself into it being ok to go with the fast boys......... 

Am I getting too sensible to post on here? image

• Trophies for insanity? (and I thought you just got certified) image

• Chrissi, you sound as good as me with headtorches-I hate them but a necessary evil I fear.

Well done on PB Lemmy, impressive on tired legs!

John Bach, do you have any updated local knowledge about the new Rhyl marathon next year, fancy a crack at that one as near sea-yeh!

Chimney, never too sensible to post on loony-land thread, you are just having a sabbatical. You'll be fine at Clowne, very laid back and terrific support (oh, and great shirt if I remember correctly)

lol re. insanity. I did the Pumpkin marathon thing Saturday evening and the guy who won it had just run his 37th marathon in 37 days...thud! Fantastic guy, really chilled and was casually preparing to trot off and do another on Sunday morning. Now we enter into real insania land!!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Brer - I'm pretty certain TR41 (42 by then!) is planning on doing the rhyl marathon - be silly not to really! I love the idea of a very local marathon, but not entirely convinced by the fact that it's the end of june and therefore could be rather (or indeed very) hot.. I plan on being there to marshal/spectate at least if not to run
  • Blimey, busy on here already!

brer, I was just going to tell you about Newcastle. Did you know there's an RW thread with Ian, the organiser, contributing?

UDS- sorry to hear about the house. Every year, the race falls at either end of half term though- the beginning this year

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sir John - the thread has got off to a lively start this year but I expect we will be keeping up this level of banter until October ...

BritNick - possible work clash with Valleys 100.  Going to have to negotiate - don't want to miss a run in my local area.  A 100 where I can walk to the start.  Not sure about the walking home bit, mind.

Stu - so we're staying half way up a mountain?  I'll share the interesting recommendation from their website:  ‘Please bring your own beach towels.’  Have to admit that's not something I've packed in all my past SNODs but I expect I will be able to find one.

If the rain stops long enough for me to spread it out I'll sit on it so it doesn't blow away.

• T Rex, I believe Stu has been very thoughtful with the choice of location. A nice easy off road downhill jog to the start to begin the warm-up & a good uphill stretch for the aching muscles after the finish.

He should be congratulated for having such foresight.....image

Panad, iirc you live the opposite side of the lake to Llanberis?

Hope you're lurking somewhere out there TR42.

• brer - I know the chap who will be organising the Rhyl half (same chap behind the Conwy half and the Snowdonia half + others). All I know is that it is a flat one (I have a feeling that the route has been finalised - I'd suggest checking the Runwales website) - it will no doubt be well organised (and cheaper than the Chester half marathon!)

• Chimney - hadn't thought of it that way image.  Did some map research (wall on 3 sides forest on the other) and revised how to match my compass to the map (i think) and found out 3 of the other girls from club are having a go so i feel much more confident now.

Checked out Rhyl 1/2 but it doesn't fit in to my plan, did notice the N Wales 1/2 on Run Wales though which is 3rd Aug and looks not flat and does fit in so may have to have a go looks like its only £19 as well which seems quite a good price.  mmmmm my race calender is getting quite busy next year image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Yes, chimney we're the Dinorwic end of Fachwen image nice little mile walk down through the woods to Llanberis, not so nice little walk back *up* afterwards! Not there permanently yet though image despite it being where all our hearts are. Get over there every week and work is going in the right direction as far as renovating it is concerned image. Which mountain has UDS got you climbing back up post marathon??
  • Hi Panad, 

Think it's going Up towards bus stop quarry. Have you got a very much approximately rough date you might if all goes well be moving in dateish? 

Much as a flat half is appealing for PB reasons, as with Chrissi it doesn't really fit in. Already planning to be in Snowdonia for International. Been meaning to do it, determined to make sure I get in this year. Then back again the week after Rhyl with the climbing club.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    not as yet Chimney. Realistically it'll be a couple of years (unless life goes completely pear-shaped) as part of the house is going to be demolished&re-built, as much as possible by us for both financial reasons and satisfaction having done it ourselves. Our eldest has just started her gcse's as well, so don't really want to move her school midway through those unless we have to.

Just persuaded mr Panad that he really wants go for a run around that way tomorrow, so will try and find it!