Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

doppyashton - wow! Just wow!

• Arrowslou, glad you got some feedback.  For those of us that have got through, it's a tense week of trying to blag votes but the support has been amazing and I'll definitely take something away from that.  Plus a whole new community to engage with!

StickyXmasPud, good luck in the comp.

Doppyashton, those are some impressive results, you should be well chuffed!

Malcs, is this just as stressful second time round?

• Hey guys!

Sorry I have been MIA over the last 24 hours! This whole voting thing is a little mad isn't it!  Just focusing on all the support ... that's taking over the madness ... I hope everyone else is ok, it's a bit surreal having to push yourself like this isn't it?!  I took myself out for a "long" run this morning and that helped remind me why we are all hear ... WE LOVE RUNNING image!

Anyway just wanted to make sure all my fellow bootcampers were well !!! xxxx

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruffles - it's far, far worse than last year for two reasons. First there's the live vote counter - 'nuff said. Second they told us the vote would only be part of the criteria they looked at. The final decision was made taking the coaches and other team members opinion into account.

ArrowsLou - thanks for sharing the feedback you got. I'm glad they were able to give you that. You make a good point about endurance. Most of the sub 3:30 thread are ladies who seem to be much better at going longer (that wasn't meant to be humorous!) Also many of them are not necessarily speed demons at the short stuff.

CharlieZBrown - glad to see you're still a bundle of energy! image  Good to hear that you managed to get some running in amongst all the chaos!

• Malcs / Ruffles - I wish they were doing this ... the popularity contest thing makes me feel a little uneasy I love running and I am happy to shout it from the rooftops but its all a bit daunting!!!!  But hey ... it is what it is!! Just got to remember regardless just to make it to bootcamp was a HUGE achievement .... never mind all of this!!!!!

Ha the running ... and weights (I got an early birthday present today - wait til you see my "gym" outfit tomorrow image!!!! Will be posting a picture on twitter! @ziggy_brown ha it will be a sight!) is getting me through all this .. using so much of my bootcamp training too!!!  All about CORE tomorrow ... oh and GLUTES!  xx

• some positive and encouraging posts on here
    Malcs at least the final decision means that we could all still be in with a chance, which is great! Its difficult dragging yourself away from the counter but probably best to step away for a short while!

Nice feedback ArrowsLou thanks for sharing.

CharlieZBrownyour energy is encouraging!

• Hmmm having read the last few posts maybe I will contact them for feedback, it would be good to know, even if it's tips on what you should be doing or what you could achieve ... I'll defo still be there as I have a place in the Paris Marathon already, and this morning 5 of us booked our Eurostar tickets ... it's all becoming real now. If you want to travel Eurostar check it out quickly as tickets are going up in price very quickly, as it's a popular weekend to head to Paris image

• Maxs Mum - honestly the best thing you can do is NOT look at the counter ... though saying that I am saying this because I am quite far behind now and seeing that isn't good for the soul haha!! But I think how crazy it is that all these people are voting for you!!! YOU image!! It's really heart warming plus in my experience with this, and I sure others will be the same, I have talked to some pretty cool people so lots of positives!!!

xx

• Running Bunny 7 wrote (see)

Hmmm having read the last few posts maybe I will contact them for feedback, it would be good to know, even if it's tips on what you should be doing or what you could achieve ... I'll defo still be there as I have a place in the Paris Marathon already, and this morning 5 of us booked our Eurostar tickets ... it's all becoming real now. If you want to travel Eurostar check it out quickly as tickets are going up in price very quickly, as it's a popular weekend to head to Paris image

I just checked the tickets - they're up for Friday but not for Monday, eep! have you bought your single to Paris, and are just waiting until Monday tickets come up?

• I think its crazy having the counter if its only part of the decision........imagine that you got 3 timns more votes than someone else but they didn't choose you. thats like telling the world that although you won they didn't like you........or think you were good enough..........

best toi just think that someone had more facebook friend than you and had more votesimage

• CharlieZbrown it's impossible not to check the counter every 5 mins, it's evil.  However, everytime it jumps up i'm warmed by the fact that someone has taken the time to vote.

Can't wait to see your outfit tomorro.

• Ruffles - Just think ... regardless how many times you check what will be will be ... focus on talking to friends and family and chatting on here instead image these are my tricks ... plus I have been using this as an excuse to talk to people I wouldn't usually ... its been amazing!!!

Seren Nos - Who knows what will happen once the voting has finished !!!!

• seren nos - I know what you mean. I'm doing well in the votes and have been using Facebook and Twitter (as advised to do by Runners World) over the past few nights. It has crept up steadily.

I've been off work so have not been able to canvas for votes in school.

I'd be gutted if I had the most votes and not chosen - especially as there has been no instruction on what criteria declares the winner.

Gareth

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Gareth, there never has been any set criteria as far as I know but I think you would be good to follow. Personally, I think a combination of the individuals 'personal story', good interaction on the forums and a decent number of votes should all be taken into account!

On that basis there's a fair chance of seeing you in Parisimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gareth - imagine how Clive, Sarah and the others felt last year when, after the voting was over, they put none of them through!

• welshgje you're doing amazing, any tips?!

CharlieZbrown, I know you're right.  To keep myself sane I'm joining in the forum chatter too, which just reminds me what the comp is all about, running and talking about it!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ruffles - exactly!!!!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Gareth - imagine how Clive, Sarah and the others felt last year when, after the voting was over, they put none of them through!

that was atrocious.but its there competition and they do what they want..so best to just use this time to explore the forums and hopefully you will find it fun even if you don't win...

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

when I didn't get in last year I was gutted, but after xmas I realised that running a business, having three kids, running a marathon and spending 2 hours writing about it each day would have been too much. In the end I was glad RRR got chosen and she did a brilliant job!

Please don't under estimate the commitment and living four months in a gold fish bowl. I hadn't realised until I saw people I knew going through it. If you want to see the level of commitment expected by readers take a look at the likes of RRR and Shady Ady's posting from last year.

Honestly, if I couldn't go some way to producing that level of insight I'm not sure i'd want to be part of it.

• DS2 you are absolutely right about the goldfish bowl aspect.

What happened last year - I rather missed things as I wasn't running a marathon and was rather jealous of everyone who was (including hubby).

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Emma, we met your husband at the Spitfire 20. Me, Malcs and Shady Ady!

i had followed you the year before. You were Lee and Colin's year weren't you?

• imageHa ha DS2 - Malcs has just mentioned that on another thread! Michael was really excited when he got back afterwards because he met you guys. He knew what you were all going through because he had shared it with me. He was a naughty boy that day because he didn't stick to his pacing plan!

Yes I was with Lee and Colin (but somewhat slower!).

Are you doing a Spring mara? Doing spitfire again?

• @seren nos - I don't really understand what happened last year. I'm sure I read that the vote count was not shown online. Maybe they have chosen their winners already. 

@DS2 - You make a good point there. Where I live is like a goldfish bowl - everyone knows each others business.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Yes Emma - I have a GFA place for London. It's on the actual day of my 50th birthday so I didn't bother entering this year!

they were quick boys - especially Choisty!

pretty certain I'll use Spitfire again! You doing it?

• Blimey GFA - great stuff. I'm GFA just not my age!

I did the Barns Green (our local half) on my 40th birthday - everyone thought I was nuts but I had a great time. You'll have an amazing time in London - I assume you've done it before?

Thinking that I fancy spitfire - good time wise isn't it. Then I might do the Cranleigh 15 as start of my taper. You nearby? 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

A bit further into Kent than Malcs - Rochester way!

havent run London since 2001. last year was the first proper year I'd trained since 1994. I ran it on my 30th so be nice on my 50th to get within a minute a mile of that time! Tough ask though!

cant say London is my favourite marathon course but it is my local one! I'll do Halstead in May ad well. That is a brilliant little event. 20th anniversary this year!

• So you'll be good for TW then as it's down your way?

• for those that didn't get through after bootcamp and for those who don't get enough votes remember there is always the alternative competition..........

The Forum 6......where 6 lucky people get a forum mentor and their own thread for a spring marathon.........no free clothes or race entries.......but a great chance to get  a marathon PB with some great support......most years the unofficial ones do better than the official ones.......

and they love to have  a mixture of old time posters and some of the newer ones that have shown an enthusiasm for the forums and a sense of humour..

after this round of voting has happened then there will be a chance to make your pitch...and you will be pleased to hear there is no voting on the unofficial one

• Sounds like there are quite a few people doing Spitfire next year. Great little event and will definitely be doing it again as well.

I agree with the gold fish bowl terminology. I would be spending at least 2 hours every evening catching up with posts, writing training reports, updating My Asics and Garmin Connect. It was intense, but I wouldn't have changed it (my wife might answer differently there!). So many regular forum members offered support and advice, especially as my training plan for a start was light on mileage and only contained the one 20 mile run. It was also great to be sharing the journey with other runners who were training for Spring Marathons.

For me participating in the forums was as important in me reaching a new PB as the training plan. coaching and nutritional advice. Good luck to everyone still involved.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great summary of the process there Ady but you failed to mention in your list the joys of being photographed in lycra.

Now, this is something that I already do as *special* paid work to bring in some extra cash at the weekend but it's not something that everyone will be comfortable with so be prepared! (Mrs Malcs can never know btw!)

Don't ever tell me I don't bring you the full story - it might not be what you want to hear but it's always the triple truth ruth!image