Garmin Forerunner

Comments

• those are the two big selling points for me simon.... and it has a 'virtual' training partner that you can program with a certain pace to try and keep up with.

and who described it as gorgeous??! gadget-wise maybe but it does look a bit like having a large matchbox strapped to your wrist ;)

• Oh dear . . I've downloaded the manual pdf file . . it just might be too late now . .
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    It is quite large on the wrist but absolutely no problem to run with except that I feel compelled to look at at every 15 secs to see how far I've gone/ what pace I'm doing.

It's very easy to program but I still got a few things wrong last night. I thought I'd programmed it it bleep every mile, turns out I'd set it to bleep after the first mile. Also I think I need to tinker with the pace smoothing and the cut off pace to get better info on time spent actually running (Thursday night club runs tend to be a bit stop and start with slow jogging back to pick up backmarkers - the distance recorded will have been spot on but the time figure will have been skewed)

It lost GPS lock at one point, down one of the shopping streets which is quite narrow with tallish buildings to each side but found it again as soon as we came out of that street. When it loses GPS it assumes you've gone in a straight line from the last point it knew about to where it picks up lock again - in this case it was down a straight street so (apart from a degree of weaving in and out of Xmas shoppers) it will have calculated correctly.

The mapping software to download and upload routes isn't available yet but for the most part I know where I am and where I'm going without it. I will use it for races (like the Staffordshire Moorlands Summer Race Series) where I quite often have no idea where I've been so will be able to download the route taken onto my digital mapping after the race.

That's about it for now - looks like I'm doing Sat's long run with a couple of others so I won't be able to really test the 'virtual training partner'

Any questions?

Higs
  • I could not help myself. I have ordered it. I feels so weak and feeble this morning.

New gadgets are so hard to resist. I did not buy the timex sdm as I did not fancy having something strapped to my arm, but it took a lot of will power not to buy it.

Now I have to tell my wife that I have spent £170 in the week before Xmas. She might not notice it on the credit card among all the Xmas shopping.
  • Higs, what about the battery? Says on the tracklogs website that the battery is rechargeable but not user-replaceable. Does that mean that you have to junk the thing when the battery gives? If so, how long does the battery last? More than a couple of years, I would hope.
  • BodBod ✭✭✭
    What about charging?? If we bought one in the US do we need a UK charger, are they available separately???

• Me too apb . . . ordered one this morning . .

. . no wife to tell heh heh . . can't wait for it to get here . .
  • The absolute best thing about this is the virtual partner. I run on my own (no one loves me) and to have something continually suggesting you get a move on or your ahead of pace is invaluable. And it looks cool.
  • Bod, it also says in the spiel I mentioned above that a battery charger comes with the package. It's the battery life that concerns me.

RichK - it's nice not having to run these things past a missus, isn't it? I'm sorely tempted, battery query outstanding. Make sure you post a review!
  • Once you take UK adaptors & transformers and postage & packing into account, how much are you likely to save by buying from the US?

Also, what are the chances of HM Customs & Excise making you cough up for VAT?

Taken together with the additional hassle and cost of returning it if it goes wrong, is it still likely to be worth getting it from the states?
  • I reckon the saving is maybe £35 but you have the risk that customs and excise hit you with the VAT
  • Well this thread has taken off- come on Higs some questions lie unanswered, I am currently looking at one on marine on line for $123:74 with bike mount $14.95 ac charger $19.95 and pc cable $12:95. There is also one on gps worldsupply for $149.99 that comes with desktop charger with serial interface- is that the same thing as pc cable- crikey it all seems so complicated. I am having one though- with all the accessories, I don't care.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Monique

The charger is separate from the PC cable (which is a 'serial interface' (as it uses the serial port))

So I reckon the $149 all-in is the best deal for you. You'll still have to account for the 110voltage though. Jason on the other thread was recommended "International AC Power Plug Adapters (AC-5)" and "50 Watt International Converter with 2 Round Plugs (CA-55R)". Or you could get a stepdown transformer: https://sslrelay.com/s75376715.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn153fb775bf5c8a6/shopdata/index.shopscript

any other unanswered questions?

Higs
  • You're scaring me now, never heard of a step down transformer, I shall order it though and see if I can get the adaptor from your link.

One more thing did you find it easy to understand, I have a low boredom threshold when it comes to reading instructions.

Thankyou as well I am grateful.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I have one on order from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk for £170, it is due in a few days time. I take the view that anything electrical/mechanical like the Garmin might possibly go wrong, so I won't take the risk of ordering from abroad in case of problems of this nature. I suspect you would have problems getting a foreign model serviced over here, though I can understand the appeal of the cost saving. You pays your money and you takes your choice I suppose.

Looking forward to trying it out as I have never owned a running gadget before!

Hope this isn't a daft question but..does the forerunner have to be totally uncovered to receive a signal? i.e if your long sleeve jacket/fleece covered the fascia would it stop picking up a signal?
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Monique - very easy to understand with only a bit of reding the manual

Wardi - I'm sure it will work when covered by coat but that would stop you checking it every 15seconds!
  • I've just looked at two British sites to buy it- same price on both, but none of them seem to have the bike mount available- are they mad, don't they know the sales they are missing.
  • Done it- on husbands switch card, fantastic I will have a new gadget to play with on Monday- except I shall only be allowed it on Christmas day, so I will spend all day twiddling with it and run on Boxing Day- hoorah.

• So that's at least 4 of us wishing the weekend away, waiting for our new gizmogadgets!!!

Think you'll find there's an awful lot of reviews here before long Muttley, and yours will be one of them!!

• And at least two of them in use at Brass Monkey, Monique?
  • I think I might use it at Brass Monkey. We will be able to spot beach other. I hope mine arrives this morning, but I will not be there as I'm at work. Hence surfing the runnersworld web site. I won't use it tomorrow as it is the Loftus Poultry run and I am expecting mud, rain / snow and wind. So it's first use will be Monday night.

I still haven't told my wife yet. Last night she told me she had not bought me a Xmas present. I thought about telling her I had bought a Forerunner and this could be my present. I didn't say anything because I wonder if she is bluffing.

• Yippeeeeee!!!! Garmin sits beside me . . .

Knock on the door at 7.15 this morning . . special delivery postman . . luckily I was laid in bed half listening to the cricket . . . goodness knows why (but if you're only going to pick one Yorkshireman what do you expect?) . . so I heard the knock.

23 hours from ordering to delivery, and at the weekend as well . . thank you Tracklogs!!

Garmin is charged now . . switched on and searching for satellites in my living room . . so I've confused it already!!

Shan't be able to run with it today as domesticity reigns . . altho' I hope to have worked out all the functions by the time I get back to bed . . and I'll be doing a 4 or 5 miler tomorrow. Of course by the time I get back from that I'll know how far the run was.

Only lived here in Aylesbury since August and I haven't worked out the exact distance of my runs so Garmin is going to be really useful.

That's be 3 of us at Brass Monkey then apb . . just hope your wife doens't think the box is part of your present to her . . she's going to be very disappointed if she does lol!!!
  • <makes mental note of speedy delivery from tracklogs>

Keep us informed, Rich!
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Rich

Did you get the digital mapping from Tracklogs too?

Higs

• Yes I did Higs . . loaded it up . . lookin' good . . just got to figure out how to use it!!

Garmin gizmo still seeking living room satellites . . think I may have to wear it shopping . . can't be parted (loved the preshus allusion ed m LOL) . .

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    listen if I can wear it back from the pub you can wear it shopping!

You will be able to point out (every five minutes) just how far you've walked and just how long it's taken you - do you have a robust relationship???

It will obviously lose GPS lock in shops so you'll just have to wait outside.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    p.s. the forerunner and mapping won't work together until Garmin release the software in Jan.

• No relationship . . just (for the weekend) 14 year old daughter who walks behind me anyway . . this should guarantee a few more paces between us!!!

However we'll part company in town and I must venture into shops . . and yes . . lose my connection . .

Apparently I have to go now . . :-)

• ps, oh yeh, I read that somewhere didn't I!! Must register Garmin gizmo this afternoon . .

. . gone!