Garmin Forerunner

Comments

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    but would you rather have a GF or a g/f - because I'm not sure they're compatible!
  • LOL, Popsy! Didn't get it till I read Higs' post... Doh!
    Cheap 2nd hand Timex or wait for GF??
    DECISIONS!!!!
  • I'm getting on fab with my GF though she is a little quiet at times only emitting the occasional bleep.
    Perhaps as, I've not taken her out much yet she's giving me the Silent Treatment ??
  • Percy
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks for recommending Askdirect. I've been thinking of buying one of these since they were first annouced and quickly popped on the forum yesterday and read your post.

Ordered online with them yesterday after lunch and it arrived 11am this morning. Post was free so £149 in total. Already got it tuned in and looking forward to my next run.

Can anyone recommend any mapping software that'll enable you to plan routes then upload fixed markers to Garmin devices? I've requested the demo Tracklogs CD but this looks quite expensive to buy.
    £39.95 per region or £219.95 for the UK I believe.
  • Glad to be of assistance NickB. Hope you'll be as happy together as me and my GF.

Not sure about the mapping software availabilty/compatibility. Wait for the Forerunner software to come out in Jan. and see then perhaps.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Tracklogs also do one with 20km each way from your postcode for £12 - that covers all my training and most of my races so it'll do.

Like Percy says, until Garmin release the software nobody really know but I've got both anyway. I'll update when I've got them working together.
  • I once read a book about how the Dutch went completely mad on Tulips. People were killed for rare bulbs, marriages wrecked, small boys sold into slavery and rich merchants ended up bankrupt. Ring any bells?
    It looks like a fantastic gadget but do I really need it? Will it make me run faster?
    Signed Professional Cynic,
    British West Hartlepool
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    No you don't need it. But it's not about 'need' these days is it? It's about 'want'. Do you want it? Well, do you?
  • It's obviously nice and it's very clever and I love gadgets. Go on, go on ,go on, go on. No not yet. Tempt me more
  • Personally, though I do like running, I think there's room to make it more enjoyable. And with the demanding mistress that is my ever present pace setting virtual running partner leading the way, I think the experience just got a whole lot better!
  • Mine arrived today, I was itching to get back and play with it. I've opened the package and put it on to charge, resisted the urge to play whilst it charged. Just been out for a quick 3 mile plod; going to have a bit of a surf on the internet then check to see if it's charged yet. Provided I take it easy on the grape juice tonight I shall probably take the Forerunner out for a spin tomorrow.

Can't believe how small it is! I knew from the pic on the Tracklogs web site it was smaller than a Geko (one of which I own), but it really is tiny. Lucky as I have spindly wrists. Full marks to Tracklogs for getting it to me so fast. I know Ask were recommended, but I'd ordered a GPS from Tracklogs before so knew they were fast.

Christmas isn't Christmas without a new gadget! (Last year was an MP3 player which I used quite a bit in the gym but has barely been touched since the spring, since the weather outside has been so good I haven't been frequenting the gym.)
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Just measured my route on the Tracklogs mapping, now off to run it with my virtual training partner. Once the transfer software's released I do think my life will be complete.
  • Daft me ordered the Forerunner and forgot about the free Tracklogs map you get - I already have one centred around my postcode from my last GPS purchase. I should have asked them if they would send one centred around a different postcode. I might email them after Christmas to see if I can swap the map for another.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    and I just love the display when you beat the virtual trainer!
  • What's this about tracklogs software? Is this only if you buy the GF from them?

• If you buy a GPS of any kind from Tracklogs, they give you a map centred on your postcode, with their software to use with it. I've found it jolly useful for measuring runs locally.
  • ah well...

i now have an etrex to play with!

hurrah.

i'll leave you all to it now.
  • Been reading this thread with interest and although I remain to be convinced about the Garmin Foreruner (that means I'll probably have one by next week) I am really interested in digital mapping. Problem is I am an Apple computer user and would rather chew my own leg off than start using a wintel PC. Has anyone out there got any experience of using Tracklogs maps or Anquet (or any others digital maps for that matter) with an Apple computer. I've sent off for the Tracklogs demo but from what I can see on their web site their CDs will only work with windows. Thanks in advance for any help fothcoming.

Advice for Edm: I got an etrex a couple of years ago annd found the manual baffling. I would advise that you just go out for a walk with it (take the quick start guide) and play around with it. Once you get used to it you'll be seriously impressed
  • I've got one too!!! woohoo!

GF and g/fs are not incompatible. They go very well together. The GF makes the g/f very very happy, as Mr Snail found out on Xmas Day... :-)

I asked him how he had chosen this present, as it's the first surprise I'd had for over 5 years (well, pleasant one, anyway), and he said that he thought the issue of RW left lying open at the page with the GF on it was a bit of a hint... funniest thing is, it wasn't a hint at all, his brother wanted one for Xmas and I'd looked up the details in the mag to read to their mother over the phone and clearly forgotten to put it away.

Who cares? I've got it now, he can't take it back ;-))))

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, tomorrow will be the big day...

• Hi Snail . . . tomorrow is World Garmin Gizmo Gadget Day!!! If you read back thru here (and it's probably not worth it lol) you'll find that many of us are racing with our preshussss Garmins tomorrow . . . doesn't matter that you're running not racing . . welcome to our happy band!!

btw . . which month's mag is the article in? I can't find it anywhere!!

Have fun tomorrow :-))
  • Hi Rich

Just got back from Christmas in Wales, where my Forerunner was duly unwrapped. But have also got an evil cold/cough so will have to forego Caythorpe and World Garmin Gadget Day tomorrow. Hope your run goes well - I'll look for a report and photies on your web site.

Well done, Mr Snail!

• Notto - - nooooo!!

Sorry to see you've got the lurgy . . you will go to foreign lands . . tsk tsk!

Looking forward to tomorrow . . . will have my camera but only know one other Forumite (Sutts) so snaps may be thin on the ground!!

Hurry up and get well . . and get that gizmo into use!
  • Hallooo all garmin geeks!!!!!!!

Those fantastic people from Global Positioning Systems got my Garmin to my mum and Dads on Christmas Eve- so naturally had to run on Christmas Day to try it out.

It is surprisingly easy to use, smaller and lighter than I expected, and after reading on here about the hiccups with the "have you moved 500 miles?" question was ready for that one.

I did a route that I always do for a quick pace run round the lanes near my folks and found that it measured 3.75 miles rather than the 3.5 I always thought- so already it has a place in my heart. I also knew my exact average pace (6:49) and unlike the Nike speed /distance monitor that I had smoothed the pace out rather than jumping erratically, which made it easy to pick up the pace at a glance.

My brother has an etrex- which he uses in his car and for rallying/ off road type activities so we could compare notes- my dad as usual just took the piss saying I was too old for running and should give up- but that's normal behaviour.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Monique

She who 6:49min.miles is not too old for running.

I too have found that I'm undermeasuring - my standard 16mile route turned out to be 16.05. Oh the joys of accuracy! (or is it precision? Anyone else with a degree in instrumentation wish to discuss?)

Higs

• Either will do for me Higs . .

Good to read you fell in love with Garmin straight away Monique . . I don't know how I ever ran without one!!
  • So I shall be at Whitefield after Christmas 5 tomorrow flying the flag for National Garmin geek day.
  • Awwww, sorry Rich. If you read this before Caythorpe, look out for Popsider and the RW 'star beginner' in training for FLM, Phil - I'm sure earlier in this thread (or another one) Popsider said they were planning to be there.

• I'm sure you'd all rather talk amongst yourselves about your new toys but I thought I'd have another try with this. Can anyone help please.

Been reading this thread with interest and although I remain to be convinced about the Garmin Foreruner (that means I'll probably have one by next week) I am really interested in digital mapping. Problem is I am an Apple computer user and would rather chew my own leg off than start using a wintel PC. Has anyone out there got any experience of using Tracklogs maps or Anquet (or any others digital maps for that matter) with an Apple computer. I've sent off for the Tracklogs demo but from what I can see on their web site their CDs will only work with windows. Thanks in advance for any help fothcoming.