Options

Poppies.

Comments

• Options

Well I hope you are never in need of charitable assistance Flob. I guess those scrounging bastards at the food bank can just f*ck off and starve too, right?

• Options

I tend to ignore charities these days. I get many calls, and lately once every three or four days from Greenpeace, it rings, I answer, and the phone goes dead, I rang back once was charged about 60pence and got a recorded message "you were called by Greenpeace we will call back"

Don't like this tactic

• Options

Yes the introduction of so called Chuggers or as I call them Chunts has not helped the image of the charities has it? 

Hard to compare them to a nice old fella with medals on his chest outside Sainburys though

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm with Sussex Runner NLR and Screamapillar on this.  

I'll be wearing my white poppy on Remembrance Sunday, which is going to take a certain amount of courage since the brass band I'm in are playing at a cenotaph service annd I'll be surrounded by more red poppies than I can count.

Warmongering and invasions are not the answer.

• Options

I agree on the poppy thing and I always wear one, not particularly to help charity but to remember

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I find the implication from people such as Rickster, that you OUGHT wear a poppy really off-putting - it makes me want to NOT wear one, childish as that may be!

Not wearing a poppy doesn't mean I DON'T remember, or that I haven't donated.  Why do I have to show that I do/have?  It's a personal thing.

• Options
    T Rex wrote (see)

I'm with Sussex Runner NLR and Screamapillar on this.  

I'll be wearing my white poppy on Remembrance Sunday, which is going to take a certain amount of courage since the brass band I'm in are playing at a cenotaph service annd I'll be surrounded by more red poppies than I can count.

Warmongering and invasions are not the answer.

Just to make clear, I didn't actually give a personal opinion on the wearing of poppies - red, white or otherwise. 

• Options

No, I have an opinion, I just haven't given it.

• Options
    Thank goodness men fought and died so we are free to live in a world where fatuous and selfish people are free to get their knickers in a twist about being "forced" - doubtless by a sinister state - oh no, wait a minute, that's the one we fought against - to wear a 50p poppy for two weeks every year.

No wonder this country is fucked with attitudes like some of the ones displayed on this thread.

Think about why you live in a free society, suck up your silly "objections" and do your civic duty, FFS, instead of making it about YOU all the time.
  • Options

Are the Daily Mail staff on an early lunch?

• Options
    Haha. I won't let that rag in the house. I think it's just about respect dude, and a small "price" to pay for what we have around us today thanks to those men and women who did their duty back then.

The level of "freedom" we would have had under the jackboot doesn't bear thinking about. And if you can't see how that matters today i can suggest a few history books which may shake you and one or two others on here out of their complacency.
  • Options
    But the chunts gag was a good one and did make i laugh.
  • Options

I think I really did state that I had respect for ex war servicemen and also that people collecting for Poppy Day cannot be compared to the street chunts. 

• Options
    The thing is, in the post-Thatcher world we live in, there aren't that many civic duties that seem to have any weight with people anymore. Sorry to get all dad-ish on this. Possibly jury duty still has some power to call people to do the right thing for their fellow members of society, but a lot of other "duties" seem to have fallen by the wayside, pretty much killed or seriously diluted by the individualism which asks "what's in it for me?"

Wearing a poppy isn't a big thing or even an expensive thing but it is an important and symbolic thing, and that's why it boils my piss when some people whinge and whine and throw their toys out of the cot about being "forced" to wear one.

That's the thing about duty - it involves a level of self-sacrifice.
  • Options

There was a recent thread where one forumite, by their own admission, "got out of" doing jury service.

Not a single person who posted agreed it was the right thing to do. Not sure if RW reflects society (perhaps not)  but it does show that it was regarded as selfish act, and that civic duty does, in fact, seem to matter to most.

• Options

First of all these people fought so that we could enjoy our freedom and that is what I remember.  I do not wear a poppy to glorify war I wear a poppy to remember what happened as "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" therefore I feel the red poppy is not about glorifying warfare.  However based on this logic it can also be an act of rememberance to use your right to not wear one...

Secondly I always support our service personnel, when fundraising through running I usually support H4H though.

This year I'm sporting a rather fetching knitted poppy and am now inspired to talk to the poppy sellers about how to go about making these for sale next year. 

• Options

I wear a poppy for a week leading up to the big day, I wear one so myself and other people don't forget the sacrifice that men and women gave in all conflicts do not get forgotten.

i think wearing a poppy and making a small donation is a small sacrifice compared to the people that gave there lives, I talk from someone who has served and seen the sacrifice.

• Options

Always buy and wear a poppy (actually always buy at least 2 due to losses).

Would never countenance anything other than a red one, as I find the whole idea of a white poppy offensive in the extreme, with anti-war loonies trying to hijack an honourable act of rememberance of those that gave their lives so that those very same loonies are able to have their pathetic protests!

• Options
    Right on, Clint!
  • Options

Is the white poppy a protest against the red poppy? I ask merely for information. As for people who are anti war being loonies. I thought the majority of people are anti war. Surely no sane person wants war.

• Options

Actually deleting my post, can't be bothered with the arguments that'll come.

• Options

I have this week delivered assemblies to students from age 18 to 11 on Remembrance. The focus has been on the remembering particularly remembering people linked to their families.

I have had students proud to show me they are wearing poppies and tell me their family stories. For me, the important part is remembering the people and their stories. It is not a political act or an expression of belief in war. It is to remember.

• Options

So what do you say when an 11 year old asks why millions died in the first world war?

• Options
    "When they ask why we died. Say, because our fathers lied."

Works for me.

WW2 was somewhat different though.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

I never bother with them.

I observe the silence though.

Got to show your respects.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    Thank goodness men fought and died so we are free to live in a world where fatuous and selfish people are free to get their knickers in a twist about being "forced" - doubtless by a sinister state - oh no, wait a minute, that's the one we fought against - to wear a 50p poppy for two weeks every year.

No wonder this country is fucked with attitudes like some of the ones displayed on this thread.

Think about why you live in a free society, suck up your silly "objections" and do your civic duty, FFS, instead of making it about YOU all the time.

How on earth is it a "civic duty" to wear a poppy?

• Options
    If you don't know, i can't be bothered to explain it. You described your refusal to wear one as "childish". Well you got that one right anyway.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

We'll have to agree to differ on that, then.