Poppies.

Comments

• strunner - shame you have deleted your post. I for one agreed with pretty much all of it.

• Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    Haha. I won't let that rag in the house. I think it's just about respect dude, and a small "price" to pay for what we have around us today thanks to those men and women who did their duty back then.

The level of "freedom" we would have had under the jackboot doesn't bear thinking about. And if you can't see how that matters today i can suggest a few history books which may shake you and one or two others on here out of their complacency.

Ive got to be honest, Im kinda with Jon Snow on this one.

• Josey From Wales wrote (see)

Always buy and wear a poppy (actually always buy at least 2 due to losses).

Would never countenance anything other than a red one, as I find the whole idea of a white poppy offensive in the extreme, with anti-war loonies trying to hijack an honourable act of rememberance of those that gave their lives so that those very same loonies are able to have their pathetic protests!

Youv'e heard of those "anti war loonies" that were called conscientious objectors in World War 1 right? And I take it you know what they did? 

Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

Is the white poppy a protest against the red poppy? I ask merely for information. As for people who are anti war being loonies. I thought the majority of people are anti war. Surely no sane person wants war.

I think the line of thought is that the red poppy is associated with the Estabishment - the same Establishment that sends soldiers off to war - whereas the white poppy isn't.

• When I taught History to y9 we did debate the costs of war in human terms and the ethics. Students have strong views and express them eloquently.

What was interesting was the student that said, 'just because you disagree with war doesn't mean you shouldn't remember the people. That would make their death really pointless'.

• Quick research. White poppies say " remember all the victims of wars" That's offensive in the extreme? That to me says that they are remembering that as many non combatants died as combatants and that the death of the enemies were just as tragic. The death of a child in Dresden is as tragic as a child in Coventry. You could argue whether the deathof an airman who dropped the bombs on them might not come under the term "victim"

• More proof that Josey doesn't seem to know what he (or she) is talking about.

TBH those who hold strong views without even thinking about why are quite worrying to me.

• MemsahibR wrote (see)

What was interesting was the student that said, 'just because you disagree with war doesn't mean you shouldn't remember the people. That would make their death really pointless'.

What if their death was pointless though.

The problem is though its an issue no-one wants to address.

Tell me this ....... we pull out of Afghanistan ..... show of hands from everyone that thinks that in 10 years time Afghanistan will be a thriving democracy with freedom for everyone?

Oh that will be no-one then.

• To think there is some sort of point to warfare is preaching as much in the class as you are doing in your Assemblies. 

Doubt if some Tommy. forced to fight or face the firing squad, thought that it would be worthwhile if some student in a hundred years time would vaguely remeber someone died.

• The real Mr I wrote (see)
    MemsahibR wrote (see)

What if their death was pointless though.

The problem is though its an issue no-one wants to address.

Tell me this ....... we pull out of Afghanistan ..... show of hands from everyone that thinks that in 10 years time Afghanistan will be a thriving democracy with freedom for everyone?

Oh that will be no-one then.

Well that's probably because no-one thinks you can achieve genuine, modern democracy in the space of 10 years.

• so how long till democracy in Afghanistan then Screama? Give  me a time frame to work with.

• I don't know, nobody knows, it could be decades.

I take it you never paid attention in history lessons Mr I?

• Will there be a point to the next soldier who gets blown up in Helmand Province? Will he have died to protect our freedom. Or just be the victim of a politicians mistake? I shall be saddened by the death but angry that is wasn't prevented.

• and the fact is wearing a poppy is nothing to do with civic duty.........people wear one because they feel they have to or others will condemn them..........a bit like in nazi germany.....which is what our predecessors fought a war to avoid.......( godwins law again )

the poppies were set up to raise money to help those affected with war..........nowadays only a small percentage of the money raised goes to those who are affected.....it goes in admin and IT systems and restructuring and on high wages and paying for lobbying on war issues etc............

so if someone thinks that they can help more by giving their free time to help those directly affected....why do so many people feel superior becuase they sacrificed a whole pound for a poppy..........

if those who want to honour the sacrifice why not make a sacrifice for the length of days you wear the poppy.........live rough in a muddy garden for that period......do without food and live on water and dry biscuits............do without a car or hot water for that time.....or do without makeup.

if you think wearing a poppy is a sign of sacrifice...then you do not understand what those people went through

• seren nos wrote (see)

and the fact is wearing a poppy is nothing to do with civic duty.........people wear one because they feel they have to or others will condemn them..........a bit like in nazi germany.....which is what our predecessors fought a war to avoid.......( godwins law again )

Sorry but that's just a ridiculous assertion. Most people I have seen today aren't wearing one.

And the "sacrifice" being commemorated is theirs not yours/ours.

• There were 6 poppy sellers outside Oxford Circus tube this morning. And thats just the section I walked out from.

• The real Mr I wrote (see)

There were 6 poppy sellers outside Oxford Circus tube this morning. And thats just the section I walked out from. 

And were they shoving people's arms up ther backs and forcing them to buy one? I'm guessing not.

• Every presenter on TV is wearing a poppy. Anyone who doesn't wear one will get lots of complaints. Would take a brave person to stand up to them and say no.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    The real Mr I wrote (see)

There were 6 poppy sellers outside Oxford Circus tube this morning. And thats just the section I walked out from. 

And were they shoving people's arms up ther backs and forcing them to buy one? I'm guessing not.

They gave me a deathly stare ......... the kind that says 'Oh I see, you dont need to wear a poppy do you? Well you would be speaking German now if it wasnt for them.'

• scream.people on here have been basically stating that they cannot believe how many people aren't wearing poppies and implying that they don't care because they aren't wearing one....for the last week or so just about everyone on TV wears one incase they get aqccussed of not caring.even though we have not reached remmeberance day yet.........

its all pressure on people to imply that if you don't wear one you arebn't doing your civic duty......as stated above....

and yes i think people should make a scacrifice to remmeber them.a pound in the pot isn't a sacrifice to anyone here.even if it does give them the right to feel superior

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

You win. Everyone should wear one.

I'll stick one onto my FB profile pic.

• Cant believe some of the posts on here - some people need to hang their head in shame.

Poppys are not pro war you morons.  They are pro the biggest victims of war - those who have to fight it!

• Hope you've all got your Pudsey badges ready ?

• SCBB wrote (see)

Cant believe some of the posts on here - some people need to hang their head in shame.

Poppys are not pro war you morons.  They are pro the biggest victims of war - those who have to fight it!

I think you'll find the biggest victims of war are the civilians that have to put up with it whether they like it or not.

• I quite like the idea ofbeing able to speak German. I can only say a few words at the moment( Sieg Heil and mein Fuhrer). We all remember Hitler too. Are we honouring him by remembering him?

• seren nos wrote (see)

if you go to a remmberance parade you will lots of young people wearing one......on remebrance day or on remberance sunday........

if you want to wear one all year around then thats fine for you.............but this wearing one for 5 days has become a week.then a fortnight and then a month........seems to be just the modern habit of people wanting to be seen to be doing something........

Actually supposed to be worn from 1st Nov to the 11th.

• And who kills the civilians?

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    SCBB wrote (see)

Cant believe some of the posts on here - some people need to hang their head in shame.

I think you'll find the biggest victims of war are the civilians that have to put up with it whether they like it or not.

Wrong I'm afraid Screampillar.  They are the second biggest victim.

• Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

And who kills the civilians?

Soldiers who are trying to protect those same civilians right to life.
     I get peoples anti war sentiment but the anti soldier sentiment is offensive (and illegal if acted on).

• Yep. Civic duty and Nazi repression are exactly equivalent.

*rolls eyes*
  • When and how long you wear your poppy is a personal choice.