How do you feel about this?

2»

Comments

• I saw the twin towers costume on the front cover of one of the tabloids when I was shopping.  

I thought some silly teenagers who have done something in bad taste are now going to get crucified because our press - which has the morality of the gutter - think they can sell a few papers off the back of it.   

I really don't give a monkeys about people dressing in twin towers or boston marathon costumes - if it was between mates then it's just a joke - in public it deserves mild condemnation and then ignoring.   

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    The real Mr I wrote (see)

Death threats ....... yeah right.

You realise Justin Bieber probably has 100 death threats a day made to him on Twitter, but hes still around annoying all of us.

My point which I made at the very start is to not take the death threats seriously.

You are actually advising that we don't take death threats seriously, tolerance of such things only takes it to the next level and bring acceptability, poor point

I am advising we take death threats in the context in which they are made.

Man in pub says to his mates that he's fuming about his luggage being lost at Heathrow and then utters the words 'I could kill those baggage handlers.'

You telling me, that you are now on the phone to the Police? Is that what youre saying?

• I only ever make death threats to fictional characters. Like the ones on the Archers.
  • This thread has reminded me why I should have stayed out of the clubhouse! Well Said Nick.

Yes, shrug them off and don't take them seriously... but they shouldn't be said in the first place. When do you decide to take them seriously.  How about when the threats are painted on the road outside your house, or when they are painted on your house?

Or when your boss tells you that you should look under your car for any suspicious packages. When do you draw the line The Real Mr I...

Yes they are highly unlikely to go through with any of the threats, but they should not be made in the first place.

• Booktrunk, you use whats commonly known as 'common sense'.

guy in pub angry at people losing his luggage and is venting. No.

Jealous ex with history of domestic violence daubs threats on your bedroom wall. Yes.

It really isnt that hard a concept to follow Booktrunk.

• So if she had say 100 threats varying from rape to death. you personally know which of those she should laugh off do you? you now all these nice people....

• You cannot judge over the internet those people, so sorry but you only need to have got it wrong once... I'd rather people were educated on internet use to understand calling someone a fucking idiot is a world away from threatening them in any way or form.

• To me, the vilification of the stupid by the stupid is just another new and ridiculous internet phenomenon. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

there are many shades in this.  internet threats like if i ever saw her i would kill her are to be ignored but someone posting her parents address and saying they are going to rape her should be taken a little more seriously than some chaps in the pub talking about luggage.

• What she did was stupid and hopefully she'll learn something from the experience.

It would have been a crass thing to do even if it had just been done with nobody other than her friends and collegues seeing it. With social media uploading pictures like that is simply asking for trouble.

I do think that death threats, rape threats and the like are uncalled for but it seems that people are happy to make threats like that, from the anonymity and distance of the internet, which they wouldn't make in a face to face situation because the chances of them having a visit from the police to discuss their threats is very remote.

Making threats like that can be dangerous because you never know how the person that is on the receiving end of them might react. There's been a situation going on in the states recently where the youngster on the receiving end had to be put on suicide watch because of the threats that were being made against them.

• Whilst it sounds insensitive and bad taste we should all remember that we are all young once and with youth and inexperience mistakes are made.  The main difference is that Facebook etc didn't exist so our mistakes were not broadcast to the World...

I hope that she learns from her mistake so that there is a positive outcome. 

The people making all the threats should really get a life...

• It was a stupid and thoughtless thing to do and shows her total lack of judgement and consideration.

That said, it's also a very harsh lesson for her in terms of how posting pictures on the internet can be very damaging to your career and your life in general.

I do not however think all the threats etc are necessary, particularly toward her family and friends - that is simply trolling of the worst kind.

Hopefully she learns from this - but to be honest I doubt it...................

• Why doesn't that bloke in the pub just take cabin luggage? Job done and no-one gets hurt or upset.
  • she was just an idiot and has apolgised.full stop.

those that threaten are much worse.......so if a few hundred makes threats.only needs one ytoung impressionable kid with acess to a gun.......( in america not a problem)........who then takes action as they think they are doing a heroic act......

• Am I the only person who thinks that when Seren says "full stop" the air shrieks with irony?
  • I would do a smiley but they don't work on Safari.
  • don't bother.they are all christmassed up image

• Glum smiley isn't!

Hurrah!
  • It was a bit of a numpty thing to do but  then again  putting nude pictures of yourselve on line is also a bit daft.  My heart goes out to the poor girl.

• I was in the RAF when the Falklands War was on. At about that time, at our base in Germany, the NAAFI put on a shipwreck party. One of my mates went as an Exocet. Several did not see it as funny.

• Odd thing that occurs to me reading all that is that it is fairly acceptable to say "I could kill those baggage handlers" and certainly "I could murder a big mac" but not "I'd like to rape the baggage handlers".  Why is that?

• Because at times it's a fractionally more believable threat... Not necessarily in the context of this thread? As a general point I'm not talking specifics. Like threatening to thump your neighbour is more believable then saying you would hack his head off. 

• I'm not saying either is *likely* or even *EXTREMELY UNLIKELY* 0.000000000000001 percentage if not a lot lessimage

• I don't think its that that. It's because rape is a very specific threat.

The word "kill" is an acknowledged expression of anger or frustration - rape is about sexual subjugation  -  i.e. something very different.

• Killing someone is quite specific really.  And what about the expression "I could have throttled her" or "I could shoot him sometimes", that's very specific if you take it literally but not likely to get the police called.