Pirate Race Team

Comments

• Golden Boots wrote (see)

I want to wear yellow, race hard, ask stupid questions, drink beer (though preferably not as much before the race, and cheers others. I will always be there at the finish line until 17 hours (or whatever cut off) whether I finish I'm 9 hours or 16!!!

Wot GB said - re the kit if you consider yourself a pirate and look resplendent in yellow and black wear the kit - I will give you a strong ARGHH at the end whether you do it in under 10 hours and wear amazing undies or do it in 16.59:55 and feel like death warmed up.  All that matters is you trained hard, turned up on the day and gave it your damndest and you support your fellow campers - cant ask for me than that - can you?

And Holgs your books are the shiz - end of image I came here because of them and I stayed because of the awesome peeps who I have met online and in person.  

• The loose-knit informal unstructured grouping of people with a common interest and aim but not tied to a club system was what got me interested in the first place. Racing in the black and yellow allows us to "recognize" and support each other as Pirates without necessarily knowing anyone's real names. The idea of an elite first team leaves me cold, I thought the basic idea of the Pirates was to just get out there and try to do your best, and have a laugh and a few beers with like-minded folk. The really fast ones can still help others to improve - isn't that what the mentoring threads are all about? Changing things to a more structured base makes me sad.

• Ay up not read back through all the pages just the first one and this one as on lunch so sorry if missed something but think Hokori sum's it up for me on this page. We are all different got different backgrounds and goals if folks want to have a race team I've no problem with that as long is it doesn't turn everyone serious and into a p*ssing contest which I find slightly enbarrising to be honest. Don't think it will through as we are all grown up's for the most part.

• Wow, what a lot responses, I "think" I can understand what Gary wants to do and why, so many threads start out as one thing as get changed  after 10 posts.

I was attracted to the pirates as there was no "club" no joining fees and no committee, I know several people have come over the to pirates from seeing the amount of support we give other pirates at races.

Whilst not in favour of changing kit, especially with sponsors names on, didn't Rosey race Kona with a sponsor name on his top and no one said anything?

To all of sudden start claiming Holgs has made money from the pirates by writing a book is just wrong, he has done more for the pirates with this book than anyone and the book was about him not the pirates

If the "team" does get off the ground them I would like to give them a discount for the Pirate DIY Half IM, oh hang on a minute, its free for anyone, so no discounts.

Oh, thinking about it, I take it I can't use the word Pirate in the name anymore, hmmmm, after running it for 2 years, we sold T-shirts last year, we put a skull and crossbones into a different design, if we exclude all the printing cost for the signs, tea and coffee, bacon / sausage butties, time etc, I think we made £1.37 from all the t-shirts, please can some one tell me where to send their share?

• (taken from my Arsebook post)

Gary has my views on this matter, although to be fair the whole issue has moved on a bit from the OP based on comments already made. if a group of people want to get together to go that one step further, push themselves that bit harder etc, then why not?? whether it's done under the aegis of a pirate group or something else it doesn't really matter - what matters is that these people want to do it. it doesn't detract from any pirate "ethos" at all - for these people it's a way forward that they want to embrace. they can still be a member of this group, whilst being a member of another - it's just a different flavour of the same thing.

if there are some collateral benefits such as free race entries available, people would be stupid not to take them if they so wish. the group has a certain dynamic and it's clear that people don't want a change of kit, sponsorship logos etc and personally I'm cool with that. it's not as if this matter hasn't been debated before many many times ffs.

as has been said before, there are no rules, no membership, no constitution - it's up to people to think and do what they like.Gary's had the balls to throw the idea out there - the comments have been made.

I'm too old to benefit from anything like this, but if I was X years younger I probably would sign up to get the benefit of experience of talented triathletes and be pushed that bit harder. but that's me. if others are happy to tootle along at their own pace and enjoy the experience of the pirate camaraderie so be it.

• If nothing else it certainly prompted discussion and that was all that was intended by the thread ...

I am not sure how I am selling smallpox, just posting a thread I was asked to

I love the passion on all sides of the discussion and it does show there is a lot of life left in the group no matter how it goes forward and/or diversifies

It sounds qiute 'neutral' to say that I agree with everyone and perhaps that goes back to the interpretation of the post that FF is referring to, I almost certainly had in my head a different set up from several other people looking at the replies and the text conversations that have been had.

I am a long term supporter of newbies, of regulars and of those who achieve times and consistency far more than I could dream of, the fact that there are 'no rules' will mean that ideas come up for discussion that some times are not going to meet with favour much like the pieces of kit (rather than pieces of eight) that some deem neccesary and others dont

As a wise man once said 'It is what it is'

Discussion is healthy as long as it doesnt get personal

• I also meant to say that people need to remember how the Pirates came to be - it was done by a bunch of people who met on Runnersworld who wanted to get together to do an IM as a group together and to cock a snook at experienced triathletes who said it couldn't be done without years of training.

is Gary's suggestion of a "race team" so different to that??  it's basically an evolution of the same principle - a group of people who met on a forum wanting to do something together and share the experience.

nothing's changed has it??

• FB the precise phrase you used in 2004 when violently objecting to Carl's original suggestion of kit sponsorship was "beholden to nobodody" image 

taking freebies isn't a problem if they are offered free, but ok supplier x gives all pirates a 20% discount using code pirate, and then as soon as that code goes on vouchercode.com the whole world gets 20% off.  People saying they are pirates to get the discount.  Wait, no, that's not what was intended, what are your membership criteria?  We need official proof of pirate status.  What do you mean there aren't any, set some up now.  We aren't giving the whole world a 20% discount on this pointless shit that nobody needs.  Sure yes setting up as an affiliated club will do it.  meldy can be treasurer.

• I always thought that the discounts were there to pretty much anybody who asked ?

Would I buy something at full price ? Mehhh.

Now give me an 'exclusive' discount and I'm much more likely to buy it. (almost)
  • Maybe you said nobody, not nobododody

• Candy, I have to correct you there.  This is triathlon, there is no such thing as 'pointless shit that nobody needs'.

• candy - I think the whole anonymity thing of the pirate kit has been one it's strongest assets so my reasoning was justified  image  (for fuck's sake - who put the fucking Xmas smileys up?? arse..)

anyway, objecting to Carl is an obligation....

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Candy, I have to correct you there.  This is triathlon, there is no such thing as 'pointless shit that nobody needs'.

You got that right.

• I have always felt able to enjoy camerarderie whilst striving to be bloody good, they're not mutually exclusive. If I hadn't developed Exercise Induced Aversion to Sport I would still want to be the best, even world class, certainly at AG.I would train with and talk to others with similar pace/goals. I really don't get why people seem in the thrall of publicity and perks, apart from the lamentable celebrity culture and infectious cancer of cult of the individual which is the woeful state of society at the moment. I used to say to my children when I made them pocket their litter to dispose of at home even when in a street full of rubbish. "Other people may be happy to wallow in their own refuse, we are not those people."If having a few principals and sticking to them is naivety then so be it.

I'm struggling with multimedianess of conducting two discussions at the same time in two separate places. That's it. I'm coming off Facebook and returning to snail mail.

• Hang on...cougie you get a 20% discount buying shit from wiggle?  What's the code?  Tritalk?  Let me know, I want to buy a duplicate garmin gps watch and 100 sachets of rego night (fka nocte)

sadly that is 100% true.  I'm too slow for the battery to hold out with just one garmin.

• Black n yeller sundials??  Make it happen    image

• and an abacus for working out your splits, old school.

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Black n yeller sundials??  Make it happen    image

ferk off - I'm just about getting to grips that someone opened a fecking pirate umbrella at Sunday's event.   I nearly tore it off them....imageimage   ( for fucks sake again - we have Xmas smileys and those that don't have a red hat are fucking broken. arse. I'm going back to Facebook.....)

• spot on monique.  wanting perks and publicity for doing a pointless but fun hobby?  There's a word for people who expect that.  It starts with C and rhymes with gunts.  

Or if they are utter C-gunts who are also too slow to ever make cut off, they are called "bill bradley".  I'll probably get banned for obscene language now

• A sundial?  That implies finishing in daylight.  I wish.....

• Nice to see the old guard though - hope all is well in the world.

ps. Candy did you ever pay up for the sub 3 crap you failed to do? If not - Children in Need please.

• Was there a time limit?  It was all fine except there was a 7 month hiatus inserted at her Majesty's pleasure.  Piece of piss by next April though. 

i found a modification to makes the world's awesomenest training plan even awesomener!

• Well i assume it pleased her not to have some sweaty ginger bell end trundling past her house three times a week

• ...although Icould have just stopped taking Barlos with me, I guess

ba-doom tschhh

• Two sundials? No that wouldn't work, and Haley's comet isn't due for 60 years or so, so the stars won't help.

• Old guard, you mean like the Terracotta Army, a bunch of clay chaps in a hole.

• candy ollier wrote (see)

Maybe you said nobody, not nobododody

I assumed that was Welsh. image