Sub 10:00...

1161718192022»

Comments

• It can be tough going. For a month or so just collect data and read the book. 

Then you can analyse what you've already got, and it'll make more sense. 

• Come play at the 113 Nicco image

• That's way further than I was thinking of travelling!! Spend more time in the car than racing (if my geography is up to scratch!).

Anyone else sorted out next year yet?

For a laugh I did an FTP test earlier this week after barely riding my bike since outlaw - though I have managed a decent amount of running.

Lost over 30w off my FTP!!! Trying to get over it but was a bit of a dent to the pride. The positive I'm taking from it is that all the training I was doing was working as I've lost the fitness I gained through the summer!!
  • I'm playing at the Outlaw half next year and then Ironman UK.

3rd at a half marathon today in 1:21:44. Sub 80 next year I hope!
  • I won't be going sub 10 next year... image Wales for me!

• TE - come on HTFU and get that sub 10! What goes up etc etc.

I'd love to do Wales one day, but I'm spectacularly rubbish at climbing on the bike (though do love a good hilly run course). Even at my lightest ever weight of ~67kg (@ 5' 10") and best ever FTP figures last year I still would get dropped on anything bigger than a small hill by some of my cycling mates. 

I like the Outlaw course......

• Don't worry guys, I'll do it for the Pirates this year.  I have sub 10:00 nailed on for Barca in three weeks.  The question is where,

T1, T2 or T3 (finish line to pub)?

• TheEngineer wrote (see)

I won't be going sub 10 next year... image Wales for me!

I'm also tempted, depending on how things go at IMUK... have they hadlate entries available for this previously does anybody know?

• this year they changed the setup of transition.......these changes were made after the entries opened....

so around April / May time they had a lot of late entries opened up as they increased the size of the field by a few hundred......

but as they know on opening up entries this year they can accommodate over 2000 I think they will sell all the places if they can...

someone did get a late place a month out from a charity

• Friends of ours got places at Wales this year through Nirvana, GB...of course you pay more but it's one way in if you decide after Bolton to race there. 

• Just to point out that TE has just qualified for 70.3 WC next year!!! A brilliant 5th place at Lanzarote yesterday for him. Well done mate.

Am happy in the knowledge that I tought him everything be knows!!image
  • You can't have GB .... He finished image

• Just done spotted this. Cheers guys!! Looks like next season will be busy as I was intending to have another 2 attempts at qualification in Mallorca and Staffs. Now I have those two plus Worlds.

Oh and the small matter of IMW two weeks after 70.3 WC... image

• I reckon you will smash IMW!

How's the training going all? Happy to beat a 400m pb in the pool this morning (6:01) which is a shock for this time in the year but am actually enjoying swimming a couple of times a week at the minute with little pressure. Am also doing quite a few running events for fun (inc. trail and XC)... though other than commuting I've rarely been on the bike!

Completely not what I planned as my main aim was to get much stronger on a bike over the winter!

• Nice job on the swim. You've got to break 6 now thoughimage

I've switched focus massively to strength and conditioning.. Never gave it a good go before but now i've got 3 gym sessions + yoga + pilates each week on top of a fairly light swim/bike/run plan. Tired all the time but i'm getting stronger and more mobile which can only be a good thing! Hopefully it will pay off.

I've potentially got a 10k XC next weekend that i'm not particularly fit for.. i'm hoping to skip it but may be needed for team points.. but i am targeting a 10k road race at the end of November for a crack at a PB. Unfortunately that means close to 34 minutes and i don't know if i'm ready for that!

• Yep definitely that's the next aim image

The Jekyll and Hyde duathlon yesterday for me. About 13th after the first 4.1km run, soon got to 10th on the bike and was very pleased with the 39kph average I was having, despite there being 16 dead U-Turns on the 21km bike course.... Then on the 5th lap my bike wheel jammed as I narrowly avoided being hit by those around me. Managed to stay up and realise my mistake in not tightening my rear wheel. Then managed to snap the quick release on the skewer putting it back on image

Game over... had to pull out. Gutted as I think I could have clawed a couple of more places.

Old habits die hard, eh mate.

• How's training going everyone? I'm managing to average 12 hours despite starting a new job (with weekly travel) which is good, especially for this time of the year.

New marathon pb (3:03, on a training run) and a half marathon pb (1:17:44 at Wokingham) set, 1500 pool time trial pb set this week, and have been fairly regular on the turbo... all in all rather happy for January/February. Unsure that I will be quite so close to 10 hours this year but definitely a step in the right direction

• GB I'm pretty sure we rode a training ride together before Outlaw 2012 (your tub decided to give up 5 miles from the end).  With a 3:03 marathon in the locker & some good speed on the bike, either you're a professional drowner or you should be thinking about starting a sub-9:30 thread?!

• Good jo at Wokingham GB, looks like you finished right in front of a clubmate of mine.  You'd probably have been in the group we had at 2-3 miles, but it broke up after we went over the motorway bridge.  With that running form you should be well on for sub 10, unless you've entered Lanza or Wales, I suppose.

• What kit/club were you with Dave? Was nice to think I was starting way too fast for what I was expecting to run, only to pick it up at half way and go on to run a negative split!

Have entered IMUK, so not a quick course. Sub 10 would (usually) be KQ so think I need to be realistic, my biking unfortunately isn't up to that level unfortunately... let's see what the next 5 months can bring!

• I was in my green & white Tadworth kit GB.  You ran well to -ve split there, it's a quick course but the last few miles are where the (small) lumps are.  

You're a decent enough swimmer, if you can convert that run into something like a 3:30 marathon off the bike at IMUK you're not going to be too far away.  Train hard and stay injury-free.  One of those you do well, the other not so much image  Good luck! 

• Come on GB! Where's your positive thinking? D squeaked under 10 hrs at IMUK and he's an old man (!!) ...you could be in Kona with us. You know you want toimage 

• More pirates at Kona?  We'll be getting a reputation soon   image