Options

Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Any reason not to go for it in 2014 Doozer? I'm coming round to the theory too - just don't know a great deal of the finer points!

Suffer, suffer and suffer more?

• Options

Well my first ironman time was 14 hr 31 at bolton this year

so I am never going under 10:00

• Options

I'd love to share some of my training schedules but I have nothing to share!  I kinda 'wing it' and thankfully it's done me good.  I might try for a little more structure next year, or at least wing it a bit less.

I am good at motivating and pushing myself during solo training though, and practically all of my training is on my own.  Well, just me and my power meter!  If you suffer in training then race day will feel easy.  Perhaps.

• Options

Well the project I've been working on at work just got canned. So I'm either going to have a lot of time on my hands or none, depending what happens over the next couple of days. 

I guess having a vision and not a plan is a good idea...image

• Options

imageI'm currently doing 12 hour days at the minute, so not a lot going on here in terms of quality winter training other than a bit of running

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Funkin-baby, darling - so pleased to hear that the race felt easy image.

PS Is there going to be a final post in your wonderful diary? I keep checking to see. It would be good to know what was going on while I was trudging round despondently in the dark!

• Options

yes Funkin will there?? You left it on a cliff hanger. Dying to know what happened between the hours of 5:30 and midnight!

• Options

Also hello everyone, hope you dont mind me stalking around on this thread. First IM this year so wont be going sub 10 first time out. But it is defiantely part of my plan

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)

Funkin-baby, darling - so pleased to hear that the race felt easy image.

PS Is there going to be a final post in your wonderful diary? I keep checking to see. It would be good to know what was going on while I was trudging round despondently in the dark!

Yes, there will be a final post.  Most evenings I think to myself... "I'd best get started on that" and it doesn't quite happen.  It may appear sometime next week.  I'd like to get it done.  I've a few more photos, a story or two... and then the Kona Diaries is finished! image

• Options
    funkin-baby wrote (see)
      I've a few more photos, a story or two... and then the Kona Diaries is finished! image

For this year.

• Options
    funkin-baby wrote (see)

I'd love to share some of my training schedules but I have nothing to share!  I kinda 'wing it' and thankfully it's done me good.  I might try for a little more structure next year, or at least wing it a bit less.

I am good at motivating and pushing myself during solo training though, and practically all of my training is on my own.  Well, just me and my power meter!  If you suffer in training then race day will feel easy.  Perhaps.

I think you might be a little more structured than you think.  Your bike numbers (if I'm reading them correctly) at IMUK showed an impressively smooth ride, did you do anything specific, or is it a case that once you can measure power you've got something concrete to work to.  

• Options

Interesting thread; I shall continue to lurk.  I'm not s sub-10:00'er by any means - need to actually get to the finish first and foremost image - but good to read about what others are doing and pick up tips image

Good luck all!

• Options

Going for my first iron distance race next year and sub 10 is the aim.. I have it in me if i get the training right but its still hard to get my head around the distance! I've started on lots of bike work over the last few weeks. Leg strength, long rides and weekly yoga. Main aim will be getting from a 2:45 half bike leg to a sub 5:30 full. Will be great to hear what comes out on this thread.

• Options

with the right amount of bike training I think it's 'relatively' easy to get to a 5:30 bike split. the problem comes then having to knock out a 3:30 marathon after it!!

With very little structured training previously I feel I can easily improve on my 6 hr bike and 4 hr marathon I had in my 1st (and only to date) IM.

key for me will be losing weight, more structure sessions rather than just running/riding.

Oh and to start running again! IM in 2015 for me due to family/work commitments in 2014.

• Options

I think my running off the bike can be massively improved by biking more, but mainly by running. 

Total Miles between Jan 1st and July IM: 145
    IM Marathon Time: 4:07

Total Miles between Jan 1st and July IM: 223.6
    IM Marathon Time: 3:53 (despite major salt f-up)

This isn't what I wanted to do - I certainly knew I needed to run more. 2012 was beset with problems in my arches and ankle tendons. This was finally sorted with orthotics in January 2013 and I started to get some running. Slowly building to a sensible volume now, I'm hoping I'll get a lot more running in before Outlaw next year!!

• Options
    Looks impressive run times to me ! What is your cycling milage like in comparison ?
  • Options
    Cona wrote (see)

with the right amount of bike training I think it's 'relatively' easy to get to a 5:30 bike split. the problem comes then having to knock out a 3:30 marathon after it!!

Don't forget that's not the whole story: I've followed a 5:25 bike with a 3:15 run, unfortunately both were preceded by a 1:24 swim. 

Although I suspect that the sub 10 was really killed off by running the first 5k at 2:45 marathon pace.  Muppetry of the highest order.

• Options

What kind of running do you go for? My current running plan covers about 15-30k most weeks. Its a track session(hard intervals), a steady run(fairly fast for abour 10-12k) and a parkrun some weekends... running is where i'm strongest so i don't think i'd add much more onto that.. maybe lengthen the steady run over the next few months to about 20k.. or occasionally replace with a longer easy run.. I guess if i got to the stage of running the distance of a marathon most weeks i'd be pleased with that.

• Options
    9 miles to 18 miles ? That sounds light to me ?
  • Options

Yeah it is light for sure. I'm going to build up to the 20-30 mile region which is still relatively light but i think it would be enough. I've never run high mileage but get on alright racing. I did a 1:17 HM off no more than 10 miles a week so if i get above 20 miles every week i'll be very happy with that!

• Options
    Ay caramba ! How the heck did you do that ?
  • Options

I hate people like you B_Kins.......

• Options

ha! I don't know really. Very high vo2 max probably plays a part! That was measured at about 82 and i was told to forget about long endurance sessions and focus on hard intervals instead. 

• Options

That's very impressive B_Kins!

My bike mileage in 2012 started with a 20 mile bike ride at the end of Feb, and only really started in earnest when I'd bought the TT in April. I don't have detailed records but I know I did a 450 mile week in Normandy, and tried to get out for a few 100km+ weekend rides between May and July. Add in a good few turbo sessions and that pretty much covers it.  

2013 I started in Jan, did 4416km by July 28th, and notched up a 2:45 split in Mallorca (followed by a 1:38 HM), then a 2:32 at Outlaw Half (followed by a 1:40 HM). However the six weeks before IMCH were basically zero dry land training aside from a couple of easy turbos as I was coming back from the bike crash. 

• Options

Any thoughts on hours per week training? 3hrs swim, 6hrs bike, 3hrs run is pretty close to the routine I'm settling into.. 

• Options

I'm planning on a simpler milage to B_Kins as I seem to fall apart if I go any higher.  Yep - its on the light side although I'm planning on upping the time on the bike to (hopefully) compensate.

• Options

Bike a lot, swim a bit, run a bit

Given you can run a 1.17 from 10 miles a week I'd say you don't need run as much as you need to swim.

Also must be some slow running sessions if you take 3 hrs to run 10 miles!

• Options

Bike a lot, swim a bit, run a bit - bang on!

I should be okay to do the swim in around an hour so biking is really top priority. I'll fit in whatever else i can around it. i'm trying to get up to 20 miles running per week now, hence the 3 hour aim for running.. though if i need to skip any sessions it will be the runs