Sub 10:00...

Comments

• What HM are you doing Cat?

I didn't do my 10km race on Sunday. Stella called instead and wanted my company! image

• Wokingham I would guess GB, given he was watching this year.  It's a good race, lots of people to run with at your pace without being overcrowded like some of the bigger (and more expensive) races.

• hmmm... I may have to do that as well then image

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Just found this thread and there's some interesting stuff. Not sure how much I'll be able to contribute myself as my training bascially involves doing virtually all of my training with mates from the running/tri club, so not a huge amount of thought goes into it, but I have gone sub-10 4 times now. My typical IM training week is:

Mon - 60 min tri club swim session, jog there and back (only a mile or so each way)
    Tues - running club interval session (something like km reps)
    Weds - hard 75 min ride with mates
    Thurs - steady run with running club, maybe a mile or two tacked on each end to get to 12M
    Fri - easy turbo
    Sat - long run with running club, up to 20M or so very slow (much slower than IM pace)
    Sun - long ride with mates, generally easy with some hard efforts up hills and winding up the pace towards the end

This equates to about 12-14 hours, split about 1hr swim, 7hrs cycling and 5hrs running. Virtually all of it would be with other people - I guess I see that as my social time as well as training, and I doubt I would train half as much if it was all on my own.

Anyway, will keep popping back in to pick up any tips, although I'm not planning on doing another IM anytime soon!

• Do any of you do local chaingangs?    We get a few ironman triathletes out on ours same with local hard training rides.

• Padams - very much enjoyed hearing about IMF and Kona, congratulations on two great performances this year!!

Wishing that I could do the same in terms of training with others, but starting to realise that because of working hours I'm going to have to give up on the idea of evening training sessions with the club and just focus on early starts and late nights by myself unfortunately, not ideal but unfortunately required!

• popsider wrote (see)

Do any of you do local chaingangs?    We get a few ironman triathletes out on ours same with local hard training rides.

yep, hardest ride I do - some of the best amatuer TT riders in the country to get smashed by!

I like to train with groups most of the time as I find it pushes me harder than on my own

My general training at the moment looks like:

Mon Masters swim 3-4k

tuesday running club intervals

Weds S&C am  swim/turbo evening with club

Thurs Lunch time run even swim 3-4k

Friday S&c am run pm

Sat masters swim am 3-4k  Chaingang on bike (total 60 miles)

Sunday group bike 60-80mile

Doing Wokingham half too so will start to increase run miles and intensity over xmas.  Six weeks back running and did a 19.01 5k last week, hoping to break 18 by april

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

GB - thanks, yes, I had a pretty good year all-in-all, although I only did 2 triathlons! Shame you can't train with others - mind you, there must be other people in a similar situation, it's just a question of finding them!

popsider - not really a chain gang, but our group do a hard Wednesday evening ride sometimes on a short (lit) road loop and do it like a pursuit race. So you all spread out around the course, start at the same time, try to catch the one in front, then all stop after 45 mins. As the loop is out and back you can continually see where others are, which is a good incentive - good fun too (although very painful)! We have some decent riders in the group (and the same group on the Sunday ride) - one of them came 10th in IMW this year (including the pros!). Plus a couple of former CAT1 cyclists, an ex-pro female cyclist etc.

• Padams - I have the privilage of giving your dad a good kicking in the pool each week.  Luckily I have improved as it used to be the other way round

• Golden Boots wrote (see)

What HM are you doing Cat?

I didn't do my 10km race on Sunday. Stella called instead and wanted my company! image

That's unlike you, you normally do both!

As CD says it's Wokingham HM.

I did it in '11 and '12 but not last year. It's not overly expensive and regarded as one of the flattest and fastest in the country (though it feels lumpy).

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

What HM are you doing Cat?

That's unlike you, you normally do both!

As CD says it's Wokingham HM.

I did it in '11 and '12 but not last year. It's not overly expensive and regarded as one of the flattest and fastest in the country (though it feels lumpy).

I was all set to run but was asked out by new flatmates... and am not yet in that mental state where I want to switch myself off from the world to go and run some small local 10km just yet.

I did wake up at 7am but realised I had no interest in turning up to jog round in 2 minutes slower than I would be happy to!!

Then I can't see a reason why I wouldn't do it! Though may be scrounginng for a bed nearer the timeimage

• I'm not going to the pub the night before!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Doozer - you must be a decent swimmer then. Sadly I think he would still beat me, although he probably does more training in a week than I've done all year! I was thinking of doing the Brownsea swim next year, so that will be a humiliation for me if I do decide to do it.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Doozer - I didnt think you were still at it, havnt seen you for ages. Are you racing next summer ? ..............and you must pick (swim) fights with folks of your own age rather than folks old enough to be your dad.

All of my training is done Hans Solo.

• padams.  I think if I went into a race longer than 3.8k with him he'd give me a good kicking but your right he is virtually a full time swimmer.  I manage it on 3 swims a week.   Trying to keep up with Tash is a completely different ball game, she is a fish!

TR - just started to get back into a bit more focused training now, planning on racing a bit more next year but only local stuff due to work exams!  Hoping to finish of doing the new challenge Weymouth half then a shot at sub 10 in 2015 again if I can learn to run properly off the bike!  Some of Gary's sessions should help

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Doozer - good stuff, I might see you at a race sometime soon then.

• Hopefully wake up in time for a 10km race in the morning image (and stay off the ale)

• Similar situation.. signed up for a 10k race tomorrow, but the Christmas beer tents are open after work.. difficult decision! Though the race isn't on til 2.30 and starts on my doorstep.. no excuses for sleeping in.

• No excuses then!! My failed attempt to go to the 10km I had signed up for last week was well justified as 'bonding time' with my new flatmates... tomorrow I have no excuse (actually I have dozens, so let's see)

Eager to see how much slower I am since my last 10km in February 2012

• I've got ambitious hopes of breaking 34.. i can already see the wheels coming off half way round! I need more positive visualization here!!

• What are you at now? I cant envisage me breaking 37 at the minute, would like to be down to sub 36 by spring (when I start running properly that is)

Was happy with 17:43 in a park run 4 weeks back, wasn't as slow as I expected

• My best is around 34:30 but that was 2 years ago and i don't really know where i'm at now.. I did a 9:30 3k on the track a couple of weeks ago and was held up a bit and came straight from the pub so could maybe have been 9:20.. need to fight for every secondimage

parkruns i usually come in at high 17s but i've not been pushing.. that's my story anyway and i'm sticking to it! I'm going to go with the virtual partner on the watch set to 34 minute pace and see how long i can stick it.. it could be messy! That would still only barely see me break the top 30 so i'll have plenty of runners around me which should help.

• Serpie 5km smackdown on the last Friday of the month? That's me suggesting, not racing btw... image

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Serpie 5km smackdown on the last Friday of the month? That's me suggesting, not racing btw... image

That would be today.image next LFOTM I'm away for obvious reasons but by end of Jan it's on!

• I would be up for that CAT. As long as it isn't raining, I know you don't like to get wet!image
  • Golden Boots wrote (see)
    I would be up for that CAT. As long as it isn't raining, I know you don't like to get wet!image

Yep. I'm like Meldy; I melt in the rain.

I assume the early posting is evidence of an early start for your 10km? Or maybe you've just got back home? image

• Done and dusted, happy with 36:35 today. Long way to go but good as a pre-training benchmark
  • I'll come play, they're bound to need a back marker, presume some sort of rehydration after is in order?

• Flat Footed wrote (see)

I'll come play, they're bound to need a back marker, presume some sort of rehydration after is in order?

And there it is imageimage