GUCR 2014

Well bloody 'ell... I got in. Not sure if that's being called lucky in the ballot or not...

Anyway here's a new thread to say who's in and share training n advice n recees etc.

Maybe Dill can offer some insight from last year?? (i can remember reading this years thread) image

Comments

• I'm in too! Just need to get a crew together now. There are loads of race reports from previous years on the net, also a YouTube video or two. 

• I got in too, after missing out last year.....definitely in need of some training advice for this beast, if anyone would like to share their wisdom......

• Cheers LR, seen the youtube clips... and strangely still entered!?

Don't know whether to be excited or terrified...

I do need some good warm up race suggestions, some 50miler / 100km or multi dayers in Feb / March / April....

• I'm in. Not sure what I was thinking as i'm also in the TP100 two weeks before.

Anyway it'll be a good long training run if nothing else.

Here's my report from last year if you're interested. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/ultra-/-adventure-racing/gucr-2013/242684-6.html

Well done SB I seem to remember last year you were undecided whether to even enter. Well now your in!

• Well I got in too - really quite amazed as 'lucky dips' are not my strong point!

So far I've got Glasgow to Edinburgh 56m entered for early April, and I'm also in for NDW100 in Aug next year, so was largely aiming to train hills / steps for that!

This is a slightly different beast, but I suspect I will be dreaming canal paths by the time I've finished G2E!!

Other than that, I will do what I normally do in Scotland, where we have no long races over the Winter, and get on with my long back to backs in weather so wet and windy it feels like you develop webbed feet - it worked for TP1002012!!!

This will be a return home for me as I had a (well) mis-spent youth running on the canals of Wolverhampton and Birmingham watching the industrial decay of the 1980's unfold!!!

• Yes Dill, I was undecided, but now well up for it. My A race for the year, just finsihing within the cut off is the target, anything else is a bonus.

I already entered the SDW100 thinking i wouldn't get in for the GUCR, so now have that 3 weeks afterwards, which i'm thinking will be a bit of a stretch...

Dill did you get down for any recee runs? If so, was it worth it? I'm planning on taking a weekend and stay near the end at Little Venice and run the last 50m - 60m over two days...

Welcome in Tigerspaw!

• I'll be back! DNF'd so had the fun of helping out at the finish instead of getting there under my own steam last year but completed it supported and unsupported in the past. 

Tigerspaw - G2E is a really good training for this (whilst being a race in itself) as you do not often get the chance to do a long distance on the flat in Scotland.  That's one of the issues with the GUCR - no variation for the leg muscles.

• Thanks for the welcome SB.

It still hasn't really sunk in properly that I got in!

NBD - must have been fate, because I would normally enter the Fling in April, but took so long swithering over what to enter for 2014, it had already sold out. Been fancying a shot at G2E for a while.

• I'm in can't wait for this one after being inspried by dill's race report last year. I'm also in for the sdw100 three weeks later so hopefully will be recovered in time. Once I get the winter100 done in a couple of weeks I'll turn my full attention to training for this beast image
  • Hurray!  And me!

I've been on a real high since I found out last friday........interspersed with moments of complete panic.

Still, a few months to go yet image I'd better get my legs working properly

• Good stuff. A few familiar names on here image

Hopefully this thread (like last years) will be a good resource for sharing plans, training and alike!

Got the EL Gower on Sat, then the MCN Brecon 40 in Dec, will enjoy Crimbo, then full on training from Jan thro to May, with hopefully a fast Mara (at Manchester in April) and a few 50s thown in....

• I'm in too! image

Only previous Ultra is JW, barely an ultra at 30 miles. Still injured after doing that one so hopefully should start training soon.

• No SB no recces at all. Saying that you really don't need to. You have to carry maps that I didn't use. What I had was written instructions on a sheet of A4 covering the whole race which basically tell you what bridges to cross.

The canal is an amazingly beautiful place to be but some of it really tests your resolve. I seem to remember the canal has mile marker plaques and a series of them countdown for most of the route. Totally soul destroying.

I'm glad I was of use Lingster. I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks at the W100.

• I am in. I am really looking forward to it already, it's been too long.

• I already entered the SDW100 thinking i wouldn't get in for the GUCR, so now have that 3 weeks afterwards, which i'm thinking will be a bit of a stretch...!

I ended up in the situation that I ran the Hardmoors 110, and had a free SDW100 place in three weeks time.  I decided to see how I was after Hardmoors.  When I finished the Hardmoors, my quads hurt so badly that I could not sleep.  I assumed/vowed that South Downs Way was out of it. 

The week after Hardmoors, there was a local 10k race on my doorstep.  I decided to enter to test the waters.  I got beaten by my mums work colleagues, which I will obviously never live down. 

In the end I decided to go for it.  My race went well up to about mile 80, and then I had to do the rest speed walking on feeble legs.  I finished in 27 hours something. 

My advice, is keep your options open. 

• Cheers Ben. Exactly what i thought. I'm keeping the place til the last poss moment to give myself recovery time and see how i am...

Do Centurion refer places to the year after, if i had to do that...?

Thanks Dill, i was guessing receeing wasn't really essential for this one. But may still do a weekend away anyway, all good training and can't do any harm image.

That's a great idea just to have a one A4 instruction sheet, don't wanna be faffing around with maps n bits of paper all the time... Would you still have a copy? Can't find any detailed description on the website...

• Will do SB just struggling to find it on my computer.

• Thanks again DIll. Looking at the rough map route they have on the website, Milton Keynes seems the halfway-ish point...!!? So may use this for base camp for my crew to stay at...!?

• MelbasMelbas ✭✭✭

I'm in too.  Done a couple of hundreds before but this is a huge step up!

• Anyone doing 'country to capital' ive seen else where that its a similar type of run, and covers the last 20m

• I am in Country to Capital, because I want a nice Go Beyond medal!

• Re: directions/notes. I agree that all you need to find your way is a list of crossing points which I carry as small laminated cards - crossing points and reminder of which side of the canal you should be on on one side and checkpoints/meeting points on the other.  However, the maps are necessary if you get in difficulty and need to be located as the bridge numbering sequence can be pretty illogical and you're often totally oblivious of what's just beyond the canal path.

• Just popping in to say a Happy New Year to you all imageimage.

Hope everyone's training is going well over the Winter and you are all as excited / nervous as I am about this 2014 challenge imageimage.

• So I'm doing this in May...three weeks or so after my lovely (very understanding) missus gives birth to our first child. Not sure what scares me more to be honest! Finished the Country to Capital yesterday and will hopefully reach little Venice again at the end of this race. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on training? I'm approaching like a 100 ramping up back to back long runs to one back to back to back a couple of weeks out. I assume you wouldn't need additional weekly volumes? Looking forward to seeing everyone on the route
  • Ooooooh! Its decision time...image!

Time to get that cheque book out I reckon image!

• How's it all going people...? Thought i'd resurrect this thread and see how everyone's training is going and if people are on track.

Personally i had a dreadful Xmas and NY period of being injured, not well and not training. But now feel back on track. Did Peddars Way last Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did feel weird thinking... only another 100m on top of that for the GUCR!?!

• I'm getting anxiety dreams already. Despite the crap weather I have started a running streak that I hope will take me to the GUCR. I've dropped out of the TP100, as I also have the SDW100 lined up as well. Hope you are all running well. 

• Well I'm outimage.

Well it wasn't a tough decision really. With the Western States entry criteria changing it turns out the Thames Path 100 will be my qualifier and if I fail that SDW will be my back up. GUCR was just too close really, 3 weeks is no recovery for 145 miles. 3 tickets in the hat for WS next year.

BTW I found the written route guide for the Grand Union so if anyone wants it send me your email.

• Sorry to hear that Dill. But a sensible decision. Best of luck in the WS draw. 

• Just got the 2013 maps emailed to me from Dick. I get a feeling I'm gonna look dumb asking this, but what do the "TW" and "W" stand for? ta.