P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Hello all. A new thread for all P&D followers training for a spring marathon. Please feel free to join in or ask any questions, all welcome.

Comments

• Are we allowed to say 'twat' on this one?

• Hello, I will be joining in this one, training for London. 

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

No Lit this is a civilised thread image

I have a mad plan to do two spring marathons, the first as a training run. That way I get two marathons for one training plan! It also delays the start until mid-Jan so I don't have to train right through the winter.

Good luck everyone.

• Hi Rachel,

I was about to say welcome to the thread.  But then I realised you were here first image

Have you done P&D before?

Lit... as for using words like that... I think it should be allowed, but only used where absolutely necessary.  Like if you get injured, miss a PB by 20 seconds, or if you see someone wearing headphones during a race.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

My first training block starts in two weeks though it doesn't appear much different from current training. Had to tweak it a bit to retain track sessions for a few weeks as long planned 10k pb attempt mid December and also the fact I have a day off a week for rest of year to try and nail some distance so will be running further than scheduled lsr. Will follow the second cycle more directly. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Rachel and welcome. I'm training for London too. What schedule will you be following?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Talking of headphones, I saw the cardinal sin on the weekend. A guy I overtook on xc had them in!!!

• Blimey. You'd get disqualified from my local xc for that.

Welcome Rachel! I'm training for London too.

• Lit - I think that any word should be allowed as long as it is used creatively and with flairimage

Nose - no I haven't used the plan before, but read the books, followed the threads and liked what I see. So I'm going to give it a go. 

15W - I'm using the 18wk up to 55 plan, and building up the mileage now by using the the first 6 wks from a plan in the Road racing book. So far, 3 weeks in, going well!

• I will be starting my VLM training on the 9th December, only trouble is it starts the day after a half marathon race so will be tired and stiff. I will be using the 55-70  18 week schedule

• Is that Turkey Trot running_220? I expect P&D would forgive you for making the first week a bit more recovery-based.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I am currently running 6 days a week just building up the mileage again. Running garmin free and not really worried about paces too much, although I do speed up to probably roughly HMP occassionally. At moment on about 55mi/wk. My schedule starts 9th Dec. Will probably shift schedule by a day so long run on a saturday. Will be following a combination of 55-70 and 70-85 schedules, taking the recovery days from the 55-70 (i.e.one day off a week), and all other sessions from the 70-85.

• Yes Lit it is the Turkey Trot although an undulating course I know of a few people who have done a PB including myself

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have Stockport10 on the 8th Dec, so may be skipping the first Lactate Thresh run on the tuesday.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

15 west- what distance is that threshold run? I am doing Telford 10 on 16 Dec and debating what to do week building up. Do you think a circa 20 miler or a threshold run on the Tuesday will still be in my legs come Sunday? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I expect will still be in your legs...depends what you're recovery is like. Would certainly be still in mine. But, is Telford an A race for you? Or just part of your overall training/racing leading up to the marathon? I would still do your threshold run (or 20miler?!) on the tuesday and then a mini taper for a few days before the race.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I got confused for a moment - didnt spot the 'Spring' bit and thought this was a continuation of the other one and I'd missed all the action image

I will be following the 18week upto 55miles plan for London and Boston. This will be the second time following P+D and intend to stick to it more closely this time to (hopefully) see further improvements. Last time I substitued recovery runs with x-training.

I have a groin strain at the moment - alas, not gained by doing anything exciting image - so I'm resting up. I hope to be back on the road by the weekend when I'll be taking it easy until the start of December when my London campaign begins.

For those who are unfamiliar with the P+D threads there are a couple of rules. Swearing is obligatory and and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, is anyone allowed to be shit image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

My threshold run that week is 9mi with 4@LT.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes its an A race, its my current pb course that I set last year so want to beat it. Its reason I am maintaining track work for a few weeks into programme. Will see how I feel going into that week. May do a 13 miler with a few at threshold just to get a bit of both in. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - Boston and London?! Wow. Which one if your main race?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

DT19 - you could start the schedule a week earlier and then have an easy week and a taper leading up to telford?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm already starting two weeks early but was hoping not to use up one if those weeks in first cycle, particularly as Xmas will mess things about as well. 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

London is my main race. I imagine Boston will be a very slow jog.

• Ambitious stuff Shazmo!

I have a target of breaking 3:30, for a Boston qualifying time, by 2015.  But a stretch target of doing it next October.

Oct 12  - just over 4 hrs.(trained typically 20-30 miles per week, peaking in the low thirties)

Oct 13   3.47  (P&D 12/55... but fell short by an average of 8-10 miles a week.

Apr 14  Target  3.39.59   - hybrid between 12/55 and 18/55

I think this is an ambitious target, given that this will be my first marathon where training won't take place on lots of warm sunny evenings or delightful early mornings!

• Awww you've got a shiny new thread and now I'm jealous because I'm not doing a spring marathon image.

Erm, why does my sad face have a twatting santa hat on?!  It's November!!!

Anyway, can I still hang around like a bad smell please, despite being too soft to not enter a spring mara?

• Nose Nowt wrote (see)

Ambitious stuff Shazmo!

I have a target of breaking 3:30, for a Boston qualifying time, by 2015.  But a stretch target of doing it next October.

Oct 12  - just over 4 hrs.(trained typically 20-30 miles per week, peaking in the low thirties)

Oct 13   3.47  (P&D 12/55... but fell short by an average of 8-10 miles a week.

Apr 14  Target  3.39.59   - hybrid between 12/55 and 18/55

I think this is an ambitious target, given that this will be my first marathon where training won't take place on lots of warm sunny evenings or delightful early mornings!

Interesting, your training and time for October '12 roughly matches my achievement at London this year.

I'm taking on Edinburgh in May and will be following one of the P&D schedules with the plan of aiming for a 3:45 finish.

Any tips on how to handle the increased mileage each week? Did you find it OK upping the distance?

• No, sorry Tiny. No impostors allowed on here. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Camberwell - be a good idea to slowly and surely increase your weekly mileage from now till when your schedule starts. Add roughly 10%/wk, and cut back a bit every 3rd or 4th week. Keep most of your running at an easy pace.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Nose - I got a GFA place in London and qualified on time for Boston, so I'm reluctant to give either place up, cos who knows if I'd be lucky enough to qualify again. My aim for London 2014 is sub 3.30 - not sure if I'll be ready for it (previous best 3.39, April 2013), I'm way off the pace at the moment after a summer on the fells.

Agree with 15W re gradually stepping up the mileage.

Tiny, hang around all you like image,  but are you sure you can't be persuaded to do a Spring mara? Manchester?

• thanks 15West - my training doesn't officially start until the new year so it gives me a chance to ease into it nicely.