P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

porridge, crisps, sweets, a candle, a notepad, a bouncy ball, a doctor who sticker, some shampoo, a silly stockport10 order of service, some ads. No worm.

• That's a pretty interesting goody bag. I assume it's a smelly candle too. And loving the DW sticker, but no idea why it's there!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I was doing the same race as 15W and had a great one. Was aiming for 70 mins and got 68:15 so very happy with that. It is amazing how much easier HMP feels in a race. Did my normal tactic of starting of steady and then picking off runners one by one.

The goody bag was definitely on the eclectic side. And no medal! A great event though and nice to finally feel some benefit from the marathon training in the summer.

• Nice work Ramjet. 

I find that HMP in a training run is minimum 10 secs a mile slower for the same perceived effort. Something strange happens when you pin a number to your chest.

• Thanks for your thoughts Surrey. 

I did 12/55 last time.... but modified it, taking out a bit of speed work.   This time I'm nominally on 18/55 but again I'm using P&D as a good guide and inspiration, but will be sensible... as my 40th birthday is a distant memory! 

I'm generally lucky with injuries, but I have two Achilles heels...   one at the end of each leg.  Fortunately, they're both healthy.  But if there is ever any complaints from my legs, it is a tendency to minor shin splints.  So I am on the lookout.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Guys, can I take us back a few weeks to tune up races. I have decided agasinsdt a 20 miler. I have a flat ten k on march. I have two relatively local half's on 9th and 23rd. Both are OK courses but the 23rd is easily more a pb course.

I am just worried 23rd is a bit close to race day to go balls out on a half??

• DT - I'd say it's borderline. You'll be at your most tired and I think it could reduce the effectiveness of the taper. All depends on how well you recover really. May be do it at MP with the last 3 at HMP?? Or just find a 10k and blast that all out with no worries image

• To everyone starting 18 week plans today for the 13th April - good luck! 

I hope your training goes well. Let's do this marathon thing!

• Day 1 of training. do nothing!  Those are the training days I like. image

Although i'm actually going to try and fit in a light upper body weights session as recovery from yesterday

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have a bit of DOMS going on - so will be an easy run for me today. Also - feeling a bit drained and knackered...I always like to have one beer too many after a race for some reason.

• Finished my first week (of 18) by jogging home from work on Friday night. 12.5 miles, felt REALLY sluggish. didn't get into the zone at all.

Weekend was up in Manchester with the missus, didn't run at all Saturday or Sunday.

Started week 2 with an 8mile jog to work this morning. Easy and relaxed, felt pretty good. Got a bit busy with pedestrians as I got into town, but pace was bang on "easy" as planned, so can't complain. Plus I love having my run done early in the day, means i don't spend the day thinking about it, or whether i'm going to squeeze it in at lunch, or run home after work,or miss it all together if work goes tits up. So far so good, with week 2. 10mile GA run on Wed, then 4mi recovery on Thursday and i've not decided whether to do the 13mi long run on Friday night after work, or Sunday morning after I drop my missus off at work. it'd be nice to get it completed before the weekend, but I think i will probably enjoy it more on Sunday morning, plus not be knackered at the end of a day at work.

• I'm having a horrendous time right now, but I'm still hoping that I'll ride out the storm and stick with P&D (without some severe shuffling around). I have to do my outdoor runs when the kids are at school, as there is nobody to keep an eye on them at other times. Anyway... best not dwell on problems.

This morning I ran the first scheduled run: 8m with 4m @ LT pace. My LT pace is 8:24 @ half-marathon pace, but in order to push my heart rate up further (my range is 151bpm - 165bpm), I find it's better to aim for 15K pace which is 7:56. I knew it would be tough, after trying a couple of 2m LT intervals last week.

I didn't quite make 15k pace, but am happy with the result. Very uncomfortable run at times, but so happy to finish it image

Detail for the stats whores amongst us.....

Warm up 2m @ 10:10 average pace (avg. H/R 133bpm)

Threshold 4m @ 7:59 average pace (avg. H/R 162bpm → 86%HRR)

Cool Down 2m @ 10:02 average pace (avg. H/R 153bpm)

That'll do nicely for a start to the program.

Good luck everyone. I hope I'll get back to being an active contributor in the forum sometime soon!

• Not officially started my P&D phase yet but got in 11 miles on Sunday and inadvertantly chucked a couple of miles at MP rather than the MP+10% I was aiming for in the second half of the run (rather pathetic attempt at a long run!). Feel fresh as anything today though so no ill effects.

Some weights tonight then steady 5 Tues, 5m@MP Weds and steady 5 again Thurs before going for 13.1 on Sunday (not a race but fancy running a half marathon rahter than just straight 13m!). I'm then going to keep my mid-week runs fairly static for now (except maybe add a mile or two to the steady runs) and keep adding 2 miles each week to the long run as i think that's the key run for me at this stage. Should top out at 19m before starting P&D proper in mid Jan for 12/55.

Sorry for sullying the thread for non-P&D training talk!

• Tenjiso - hope everything's okay. That sounds like an impressive run.

I started my P&D programme today and immediately fucked up by going for a run. I'm going to a party on Saturday night and then out for lunch on Sunday, so have moved everything around. My marathon is now doomed.

I will also be following the first couple of weeks of the piss-easy first edition version of the plan. Not that I don't envy you lot with your LT runs in the first week, but for me I think it's just too much of a step up in intensity from what I've been doing recently so will build up more gradually with the 10x strides version.

• Thanks Lit.  I think Messrs Pfitzinger and Douglas must have had a right laugh about scheduling the LT session as the very first one!  Like you, I have also screwed up my marathon campaign by running on a "rest" day image - better start planning for 2015 marathon, since 2014 is now a lost cause image.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Really couldn't be arsed to go for a run today so did a bit of cross training in the gym.

• Day one for me, but I have to run this evening.  Annual fitness "bleep test" tonight at work. Not really bothered - it's an easy jog.

I will run every other run by the book and to the correct schedule. 

My only concerns are injury, illness and icy roads.

• Hi

Another marathon doomed , seems like I a not the only one ha ha ...I had to run today have nothing since Friday except eat and drink red wine ! why does Christmas come this time of year ?

• Week 4 for me....the aches have started....looking forward to my first cut back week which, handily, is Christmas week image

• Bailed out of my run this morning. Have the lurgy... Another one doomed! 

• You'd all best give up now.  Lie on the sofa and eat pie.

• Except NSGNR, the only one observing the Monday rest day!

Mmm... pie.

• No pie for NSGNR.  Just a nice healthy rice cake.  I ran today too, and didn't hit 90% HR on my 10x 100m....so I'm fucked too...ah pie.  Lovely pie.

• Pie and sofa sound good (rice cake not so much!)... Giant chocolate buttons are more of a draw though. Off to search for some right now! 

• yer_maj wrote (see)

didn't hit 90% HR on my 10x 100m....

No worries - you're not expected to reach 90% because the sprints are too short.

Pg 143 2nd edition:  "Heart rate isn't relevant during the short speed sessions, ..."

• Guys (and bigger-footed girls)..... get ready for the winter ice and let nothing stand in the way of the P&D schedule.

Yaktrax Pro are available on Amazon for only £6.60 in Large and Extra-Large sizes (normally about £20). Remember that Amazon now charge postage for orders under £10, but you could buy with something else to take the total over £10 and get free delivery that way.

Yaktrax Pro

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's pretty good. I imagine someone at Amazon reads the daily express and their constant reports in October of an Arctic November and December, and therefore they now have a stock room fit to burst with them.

Additionally, you get free delivery if you buy an item from the categories that still have free delivery ie a 69p book or whastver you can find. 

• Tenjiso - but I wanted pie image  Somebody on the Paris thread is doing a 6km Pieathon at the weekend and I have Envy...

I used my Yaktrax loads last year - they are fab.

• I have some yaktrax, but actually found trail shoes were just as effective and felt less weird underfoot. I only use the yaktrax for non-running shoes if it gets too icy to cycle to work now.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am not entirely certain exactly when to wear them. Is it only on compacted snow?