P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well, over summer i had lots of issues in my lower legs, inside and out. I eventually spoke to a genuine running physio and we couldnt quite get an appointment booked in but the one thing he told me to do on top of usual stuff was to stand barefooted on 1 leg on top of some pillows for 1 minute per leg a few times a day and if it got too easy to close my eyes.

That worked for me, so could be worth a try?

• AgentGinger - What type of shoes do you wear and how many mile have you done in them? I actually carry out gait analysis and have seen this type of thing many times before it is usually a bio-mechanical issue

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Ginger, I had a similar issue a bit further up the shin a few years ago. Try some very tight compression socks/calf guards - they seem to hold everything in. I have a pair of 2XU calf guards and they work a treat when I have any shin twinges. You can run in them or wear afterwards. I also did some exercises with a rubber band thingy where I flexed my foot in all different directions.

In other news, I tried a 20 minute run on the dreadmill last night and it was the first time in 6 weeks that I've felt anything like 'normal' when running. Touching wood that I am on the road to recovery.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Been lurking on this thread since the start... time to man up and throw my hat in the ring for Belfast 2014 image

6 April: Brighton
    mace - 3:05 18/70 with some fiddling about
    icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
    Nose Nowt - 3:40 - adapted 18/55
    Lisa 123 - sub 4 - 18/55
    Super Moo - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Lochaber
    StewartC - sub 4 - 18/70

6 April: Manchester
    Kease7 2:59 18/70
    Debutant 3:05 18/70
    NSGNR - sub 3.45 - mix of 18/55 and 18/70
    AgentGinger - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Paris 
    yer_maj - sub 4 or die - 18/55

6 April: Zurich
    cleanshoes - sub 4 - adapted Higdon novice 2 for now, then 12/55

13 April: VMLM 
    Ryan Snell - sub 2:45 - adapted 12/85
    15West- sub 2:48 - 18/70/85 (mix of both) 
    Andrews148 - 2:52 - 18/70
    Freddy 1 - Sub 3.00 - 18/85
    DT19- Sub 3.05 - 18/55 
    Literatin - sub 3:05 - 18/70
    marrows - sub 3:10 18/70
    Ramjet - 3:25 - 18/70
    Dr.Dan - 3:25 - 18/55 (Haddapted)
    running220 - sub 3:30 - 18/70 
    Shazmo – sub 3.30 – 18/55 (may reconsider goal as currently injured)
    PJH92 - sub 3.45 – 18/55
    Tenjiso - sub 4:00 - 18/55
    Rachelcgen - sub 4:30 - 18/55

21 April: Boston
    Shazmo – sub 4 – 1 week recovery after VMLM

5 May: Belfast 
    Fergster - sub 3:05 - 18/70

5 May: Milton Keynes 
    Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

I'm coming off a 3:17 in Berlin 2013 and hoping to dip under 3:05 in Belfast in May 2014.

Currently in week 8/11 of a Base Training phase so that I hit the ground running on NYE at the start of my 18 week plan.

Long run is at 17 miles at the minute and will be 20 by next week. Averaging around 40 miles per week at the minute with no speedwork as there'll be plenty of time for that come January!

• Running220, at the moment i'm wearing Brooks Ghost 6 shoes. They've done about 159 miles (I keep a running log spreadsheet). Before that I was wearing the Brooks Ghost 5 shoes. Both with my custom orthotics. I've always had quite weak ankles, and I think this, accompanied with almost 100% of my running being on pavement contributes to the recurring pain. I should stress that it's probably about 3 or 4 times a year, for a couple of days each time, so hasn't been a showstopper for training, but annoying all the same. I'll try some single leg stands and single leg squats and see if it helps

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

AG - shinsplints? Like Running220 says check shoes, and also do some weight training on your leg muscles and some core work. You are doing the right thing in wanting to sort out the problem before it gets any worse.

Fergster - hello and welcome. Looks like you are doing well with your base training. Which plan are you going to follow?

• FergFerg ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

AG - shinsplints? Like Running220 says check shoes, and also do some weight training on your leg muscles and some core work. You are doing the right thing in wanting to sort out the problem before it gets any worse.

Fergster - hello and welcome. Looks like you are doing well with your base training. Which plan are you going to follow?

Cheers 15West. I'll be following the 18/70 plan, having had success with the 18/55 to date. I'll definitely be doing some core work to address knee strength and a few piriformis niggles. Seems weird that I'll happily head out for a run in any kind of weather, but just can't seem to get enthused about a toasty warm core session in the comfort of my own home!

There's definitely a good vibe on the thread so far.

• Injured my upper calf just below the back of the knee on Saturday I felt a popping sensation, I have obviously binned week 2 of P&D and have been using a x trainer over the last couple of days to keep the aerobic engine running, if all goes to plan I will test it out on Saturday with a short treadmill run and if all is well I will resume @ week 3 of the plan.

• That's a bummer Stewart image  If Saturdays run doesn't show any improvement will you go to a physio to get it looked at?  Keeping my fingers crossed for you (makes it a bit of a bugger to type though!)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Agreed Fergster - can never be arsed with core work either...although I know I should. Maybe tomorrow! I am a member of a cheap gym near my work and I often go on some of the leg weight machine things before heading out for one of my shorter runs, definitely helps prevent injuries I reckon.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I often post this, but will again. I sort've try to do these when I can be bothered. Not easy though...

http://vimeo.com/9807775

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good luck with the recovery Stewart...still early days...

• Blimey, I could feel my abs aching just watching it!

• That girl in the video made me go "Cor!". Does that count? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

image No Ten. It doesn't. Xyloid - she makes my abs ache too.

Just back from a wet and muddy 11mi. Took it fairly easy as got a mp run on sat...and don't think I could have ran anything but easy to be honest.

• 2 x 5 milers for me today.

Did the first one this morning and it accidentally turned into a progression run, ending with a 5:35 mile! Think I better take the next one much easier image

Is everyone else doing 18 week plans? I prefer the 12's as I find it difficult to stay focused for 18 weeks. Having said that, I am ticking over at 50mpw including a long run so it's not hugely different to marathon training.

• Ryan, yes, doing the 18 week plan, and also started with the first 7 weeks from another plan to get me up to the mileage, so that's 25 weeks in total. So far,, keeping the focus, but as this is the first marathon I think fear of the unknown helps keep it!

Did just over 10miles GA this morning; heart rate was interesting. Pretty steady for the first 6 miles then just went up and up, partly because I had a heading for home mile where I sped up to much and partly just general fatigue i think, guess I should have taken a rest day and did it tomorrow.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

18 week plan for me. 12 is for part timers.

I am actually thinking of swapping my mp pace long run from this weekend to the next...as still feeling last week's 10mi race in my legs, there is a LT run just two days after the mp run which for me is too close, and next weekend is the one before xmas when I will be cutting back a lot anyway.

Ok?

Good.

• Of course you can move your runs around, just ask Literatin!

• Ryan Snell wrote (see)

Is everyone else doing 18 week plans? I prefer the 12's as I find it difficult to stay focused for 18 weeks. Having said that, I am ticking over at 50mpw including a long run so it's not hugely different to marathon training.

I appreciate that you've been running hard, so scrolling up the screen is going to be a bit of an effort.

So to save you the trouble, I can tell you that in that huge unmissable list, where we all recorded our target marathons, target times and our training plans, it shows 26 people doing 18 week options, and just you and cleanshoes doing the part-time 12 week option image

• Ha ha!!! It was a bit of a rhetorical question really. What I meant was do you find it difficult to keep focus for that long?

I gladly accept your accusations of being a part timer image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

18 wk is a long time...but the book recommends 18 wks so 18wks it is. Anything else is sacrilege.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The question is, how many of us will be left standing atthe end of that 18 weeks without falling by the way-side?!!

Is it in the p and d book (or was it mcmillan) where it said the hardest part of running a marathon is the training. 

• I find that when I don't have a plan my running loses all focus despite my best intentions the rest of my life gets in the way and runs get put off, without the threat of an event to keep me honest I don't force myself to get out of bed early, or go out late to catch up on the missed miles.

I am not convinced that training is the hardest part of a marathon, the training may be time consuming, monotonous and occasionally uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt like the last couple of miles.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Not all of us will make it I'm sure. We could take bets.

• Ryan.. I did the 12 week programme last time.. and even then, life got seriously in the way of 2 of them.  So I call you a part-timer from a rather weak standpoint!

I'm on week 2 of 18 this time. Week one was Ok... not fully in the swing yet.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

When you say hurts, even if your as prepared as you genuinely can be, does it still hurt a lot? Is it leg pain or a general all roun sense of pain?

Well week 3 and 1 week on, my foot is still too sore to consider anything major. Doesnt bode well for when things to get tough!

• Leg pain, general physical exhaustion, general mental exhaustion, just generally wanting to stop and break down and cry, etc.

To be fair I have finished a couple of marathons with no real pain and feeling great, in retrospect I'm suspicious of these and suspect I could have ran them faster if I'd tried.