Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭
    Nose Nowt wrote (see)

I'm in a rival team... and we're going to kick your PDSM asses.

Sounds like fighting talk - lace up and show us what you've got image

• Options

I'm on a rival team too....

• Options

15West it's sofa and Pie for you, I'm afraid.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I might just concentrate on BDSM actually. A lot more fun than running I reckon.

• Options

Just had a look at the Jantastic sign up, looks interesting so may join up later (cant right now as would join using facebook which is blocked at work. joys of being a teacher!)

steady 10miles for me tonight

• Options

Andrew - you can just sign up using the link below the big facebook call to action. I always do this as I am always loathe to use things like FB signons.

8m for me this morning, with only 5 out of the planned 10 strides. Thigh said ow, I decided not to push it. Cold and damp out there too.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

So, strides. Do they really make a difference?

I've avoided them up to now, but think that I may be missing something. Any shared experiences would be gladly received!

• Options

Strides are just a low-impact way of introducing some faster-paced running into your easy run or the end of your warm-up. I like to pretend I am a beautiful gazelle.

• Options

Lit, I now have visions of you doing the gazelle pronking as well image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

LOL. I know what they are, but just wanted to see if people 'swear by them'

15West - your encyclopedic forum post knowledge matches your inherent speed image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Rachelcgen - funnily enough, the word 'gazelle' sprung to mind when I asked the question.

"Just as a pianist's fingers fly over scales that have been practiced repeatedly, your coordination and form become more fluid from these short but frequent doses of speed tacked onto the ends of easy runs. Result: You become faster."

Case closed then. I'll obey the book or risk the scorn of my fellow forumites.

Final question for today then - who regularly performs hill workouts? In a perfect world I'd run one hill session a week, but the increased mileage on the 55-70 plan is going to be challenging enough as it is.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I do them when schedule says - but they're kind've half hearted. Maybe I should try harder as I can never manage a sprint finish.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I like to pretend I am a beautiful gazelle.

Whenever I run I struggle to shake off the image of Mr Bean running! image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Today's 8M & strides was replaced by a 13.1M LSR due to replacing Sunday's run with a xc race ... now feel guilty about missing the strides so will sneak them into a later session. image

• Options

I did the 8 miles with strides. It was nice.

Re. hills, I like to pretend I am a squirrel.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

OK, to summarise:

1. Strides are good if you whole-heartedly pretend to be a gazelle.

2. Hills are doable if you pretend to be a squirrel.

That clears that up then.image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Ha @ Lit the gazelle/squirrel image

• Options

Hills are easy for squirrels. They just scamper up them.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Just joined the jantastic team image

• Options

Yet to do any strides but interested to see how the body reacts, ive only done limited speed work previously, after my last Mara I did some track session intervals after work. 400s and 800s, tough but quite enjoyed them. I try to build hills into my long runs as where I live there are very few so its not easy.  Only prob is, they are all off road so not very easy to do in this weather. Maybe if I pretend to be a mountain goat?

one question re. The schedule... Later on it suggests you run timed races on Saturdays followed by LSR on Sunday. I know you can just do an all effort timed run but I would like to enter a couple of half marathons. These obviously fall on a Sunday, what do people suggest? Drop the long run in favour of a race? 

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

I would go for an easy run on Saturday and an all out half on the Sunday. The race will be a great yardstick for current performance and a damn good speed session to boot. I'll probably try this at least once over the 18 weeks if dates permit.

Does anybody do the timed race on Saturday followed by a LSR on Sunday?

• Options
    10 done. Felt good to be out doing it. Lots of slippery leaves, felt more like an ice rink than a pavement. Recovery run to look forward to tomorrow.
  • Options

Oh and just joined the jantastic team also

• Options

I've raced on a Sat and done a LSR on Sun a couple of times. I think it's ok every now and again but the LSR must be slower than normal - I normally do 30 secs a mile slower. You will feel very tired towards the end! Sat races aren't that easy to come by so I prefer to race Sunday, and make up the mileage with warm up/down. Sat would be an easy day 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew- where are you based? I have found a flat Saturday race on 16 march just outside Stratford. Its a combo 5/10/him. 

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I did the 8 miles with strides. It was nice.

Re. hills, I like to pretend I am a squirrel.

Yes I did the strides too and it was nice.  I prefer to pretend I am a human, but one that's better at running than me.

I'm curious: how many steps do you get in your 100m strides?  I was counting 68 or so (39 each foot) - but using a Garmin, not a measured track.

• Options

I get 45 per foot in 100m

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Work's xmas do last night which was a very nice meal in a thai restaurant and a few beers. Quite civilised really.

In the past for a sat race I've done a park run...that's it. If not racing then I try and do a LT session, or replace the long run with a half.#

5 or 6mi recovery for me today. Got some strong winds on the way (both kinds).

• Options

had a little look at the possible races around here (DT, I am near to Oxford) and the one I would most like to have a go at is the Reading half.  Should not be too much of an issue as it just means swapping two weeks around so that my final few weekend runs would be sun 2nd March: half mara, Sun 9th: 18 W/14 @MP, Sun 16th 22miles, Sun 23rd: 16miles, Sun 30th: 10miles, then its the big one.  15West, I think I may go with your solution and head to a local parkrun for the other 'tune up races'

did 10 last night @ about 9.30pace apart from mile 10 which was 7.45 (its my reward to myself for staying slowimage)  5 at a slow recovery pace tonight.

Ok another question... what do people think of the number of miles in the final week? I know they are pretty much all slow runs but it just seems quite a bit to run 22miles before 26.2.  I know I don't have to do all those distances but wondered what people thought?