P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Oh no Ten image what a pain. I hope you're quickly fixed image no tracking for Ed I'm afraid but will let you all know how shit I was!

En route now. Catching a bus to catch a train. Bus stop 2 miles from house so a loosening walk to start the day image
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Don't be shit! image 

Enjoy the journey and the build-up, but try not to do too much (i.e. get some rest).

I've booked my hotel for next year's Brighton Marathon. Bloody Travelodge was fully booked in the hours before I got up yesterday, so I quickly found an alternative before only outrageously expensive options were available.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Ten- shite news, my missus gets labyrinthitis, which is similar so I know how awful it is. Hope the tablets help out and take it easy. 

Shazmo - take it easy 

50-65 miles is a good range for me, but only with doubles, 3 runs over 12m a week start to stress me out physically.

Christleton 5k last night. Home late from work. No tea, a tester mile to check if it was worth the 12 mile journey, all felt ok(ish). Eldest daughter makes me 15 mins late so rush to get bib, chip, loo and I have 10 mins to cover the half mile to the start- warmup buggered then.  Start is delayed by 5 mins so snatch some strides and the Achilles is letting me know it's there but ok. had forgotten to switch watch on, and 10 secs after  the start it flashes up the 'are you indoors' message. So switch it onto stopwatch only, I have threatened to run to feel so this is my chance I guess. Try to get into a rhythm but given I have don't very little running and no speed work cant judge my pace at all. 1stk comes in at 3.06. What?? That can't be right, in switching the garmin over I have hit lap button, after 10 secs. 3.16 then, that's still way too fast and put the breaks on and become a moving obstacle for those behind me. 3.30 next k but feel the energy dwindling and struggle to pick up the decline in pace and log a 3.46 for next k. Resolve to stop the rot and chase after and hold onto the chap who took me 10 secs Before. Next k at 3.36 and not far too go so hold pace as everyone start dropping so move forward and finish with a 3.30 to give a 17.39 chip time. 

10 secs off a pb but more than I could have wished for given lack of any consistent training recently. 

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Mennania, nice run despite a very hassled journey to the start line. The midweek medium long runs are definitely one of the harder parts of the plan for me too - plenty of rest and a few early nights seems to keep the balance right though.

Madbee, try to take it easy today. Rest and eat, rest and eatimage

11 or 12 miles later on this evening for me. I might even reward myself with a little drink and something tasty (i.e. junk) to eat as well. Cuz I'm worth it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds rough Ten. Hope you get better soon.

Well done on the PB Men, impressive time that.

Good luck to all racing tomorrow. 

16mi this morning. Managed to get it in before the rain arrived. Have started listening to music and podcasts again whilst running, quite enjoyed it.

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Getting back into it, I ran 15 yesterday and will do some tempo miles tomorrow. There's a half here on the 8th and I should run it as I deferred last year. I don't think I'll race it as I haven't trained for it, but will probably run the six-or-so miles to the start and then run the race at LR pace.

That way I'll get my LR out of the way and get a new T-shirt!

Good luck to those racing this weekend. This is the last one, isn't it?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

31.9m today, that was hard work!! 6:48 permission to be naughty and stuff myself on tasty food image 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Blimey! Well done BT. I've been stuffing myself after 16. Feeling guilty now.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Wow, impressive stuff BT! I was just whining about wandering round Edinburgh for an hour. I think I will stop moaning now! I think you have permission to be as naughty as you like!

Chilling now in a stunning central apartment. Feet up, carbs in. Might be siesta time!
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Menn that's a really impressive run in awkward circumstances! Well done.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Some solid running. Well done Menn.

I feel fully recovered. With 13 tomorrow I will be pushing 40 for the week with two decent tempos and an intervals session. 45-50 per week is about the sweet spot outside the marathon stuff.

Good luck tomorrow to the remaining three. I suppose our time together is almost overimage

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Just wanted to quickly come on and say good luck to those racing tomorrow image LFR, Madbee and Ickle. Hope I've not missed anyone image I hope everything goes to plan and whatever happens, DON'T BE SHIT. 

Haven't had time to read back a few pages but I hope everyone else is OK. Take care of yourselves. 

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

DT19, it's never over... Bring on the autumn races!!

booktrunk, nice mileage indeed! I had to double check the figure and then I remembered that it was you image

Yip, andrews148, this is the last one - good luck icklemichael, ladyfunrun and madbee, do us proud and don't be shit image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Carb loading - mission accomplished. Pffffffff.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys - will try very hard not to be shit.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good work Madbee. Now, I am considering doing Edinburgh next year instead of London, so I will be wanting a mile-by-mile review of the course in your report, please, with a full account of advantages and disadvantages. Don't forget to pay attention!

• Evening all, just checking in, I know I got the train to the wrong city, ha ha! I have loads of family in Glasgow so we'll be driving over in the morning.

Had a compression sock panic since yesterday and I've been sressing about it all day phoning & visiting shops to get the right ones. Still didn't find the CEP ones but I hope that these 2XU ones will be just as good. You know when you get something stuck in your head, that's me and these flippin socks!

Not the best race prep but hey ho.

Carbed up to the max, kit ready, not much else to be done this evening now apart from go to bed and get a good nights kip.

Bookie....WOW! Supremely impressive miles. Cap doffage by the truckload!

Ten, sorry to hear about that diagnosis. Here's to the tablets and getting over it quickly.

Thank you Shaz!

**Sandbagging alert**

With the PF and 3 weeks of not running (apart from a 10k last sat) I'm not feeling very confident. Miracles do happen and I'd be delighted if it did, but tomorrow could end up a bit of a fun run, who knows.

Good luck icklemichael & Madbee. Madders, I totally expect you to smash it tomorrow. I'm excited for you. You'll be brilliant and not at all shit.

What are you both wearing in case I see you? (Or just become a random stalker!)
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    history wrote (see)

26 May: Edinburgh
    icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
    ladyfunrun - 3:45 - 18/55
    Madbee - 3:44:59 (or better!) - 18/55

GOOOOOOOOD LUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!! image

• Good luck to all, don't tarnish the fair city of Edinburgh with any shitness.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, good luck once more.

This is it!

Focus!

Even pace!

Don't drink too much beforehand otherwise you'll need to stop for a wee!

• Ooh, one more question if I may? Do I or don't I run with KT tape on under the compression socks (obvs!) my instinct is telling me not to in case it comes loose and rubs under my foot. Any advice?

Thanks from a pansyfied LFR.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I would wear it.

I had a slightly iffy calf and put kt tape on it, and it got soaked today, and when i took my socks off, the tape came off but it hadn't done any harm at all to my feet.

It was raining pretty much all the time and i was running through wet grass as well, but it all seemed fine.

• Thanks bookie. It's proper tape so it ought to stay in place.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Good luck icklemichael and LFR. I'll be on the regent road pink start wearing a green Evenwood road runners vest and black shorts with a scared face! Number 10536. How about you LFR?
  • Black vest with LFR on the back and Denise on the front, black shorts, white socks number 4937. Sounds like we're on different starts but it'd be ace to see you in the race.

I think icklemichael will be well ahead of us!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hmm. Different starts. I will need a detailed report on all of them.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Have a good run tomorrow, you three in Edinburgh!

madbee, do you mean black shorts with a scary face? Like this?

/members/images/473351/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2014-05-24_at_22.05.57.png

Oooo and Booktrunk, I am impressed with the miles!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good luck to you all. Sleep well.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Genghis Khan wrote (see)

Good luck to all, don't tarnish the fair city of Edinburgh with any shitness.

... or any shit.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Trust you to mention poo, NN.