Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

nice report IM. I hadnt realised we were counting and noting poo's though! I definately put the time in duringe hour before the marathon with a somewhat pleasant 15-20 minutes locked in one gathering my thoughts. No poo though.

Im slight;y confused though as you say you took an immodium. I assume they are not 100% reliable?

So just madbee to go and we can all bid our farewells.

I am surprised that every person on the list (as fas as i am aware) made it to both the start and finish lines.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

wenty- are you doing p and d 'again' (note emphasis on word again is mildly tongue in cheek).

• Options

Yes I will be doing p and d "again" but not as strict this time as I was last time! might be a bit half arsed this time!

Good point about everyone on the listing starting and finishing - thats pretty impressive actually.

• Options

Cheers guys. I am very disappointed with the performance of my immodium too, it usually keeps me blocked up for days. Do you think it goes off? I did survive to the end without visiting a portaloo, in every day life I rarely manage even 10 miles...

Have fun all you autumn P&D-ers, I'll see you in the spring.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Here we go, let's relive the best moment of Tenjiso's race report from last year:

Tenjiso wrote (see)

I visited the toilet and had a poo at 5:45am, 6:30am, 7:20am and 7:50am!!! Record breaking bowel movements! I took two imodium at 7:10am after the first two visits. My kit was already laid out and it didn't take long to get ready and lube my nips, pits, thighs, toes and tackle. This paragraph contains too much info I know, but you are past it now.

• Options

I didn't think to note the time of my poos. Next year I'll do that and weigh myself before and after.

• Options

If we're commenting on poos is it worth noting quality over quantity? 

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

LFR - great report. will hold you to the 3:30 now its in black and white...

Good running and report Ickle - that's the way to run a marathon I feel, a good A target but the mental strength to let it go when you know the numbers up and just enjoy it!

Where's Madbee?

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Bahaha.  LFR - 'ridiculously looking fresh lady' was clearly meant to just say ridiculous looking.  You were so lovely!  I must have seemed a smug twat.  Love your analytical report, great to take away so many learning points, but as the others have said, I think you were a bit hard on yourself.  Sub 4 is still a benchmark for most people, and with the injury struggles you've had you did brilliantly.

IM, brilliant!  Loved reading your report.  I was looking out for you too, I am disappointed not to have spotted your multi-coloured leggings. The weather was seriously confusing wasn't it.   I think you do have the poo record though, if lit is right that Ten had 4 - I make it 5 for you if the wet loo roll incident involved an actual poo.

Wenty.  Um...wot?  I'll gloss over the poo bit and be excited that you've signed up for another marathon!  I now totally get your point about weekend breaks to do a marathon - I loved the 'mini-break' aspect of Edinburgh.

OK, get yerselves a cuppa.  Mr Mad has gone to fetch the cat so I have an hour to write a reportimage

First things first - THANK YOU so much to everyone here.  For all your tips and suggestions, for explaining to my noob self how to actually run and train, and for entertaining me very much along the journey. I really have found it made a massive difference.  

Moving on from the soppy stuff... 

Arrived in Edinburgh Saturday lunchtime with a rabble of club mates after a fairly subdued train journey - a few people doing the marathon and most doing the half, but all looking for a good strong performance so feeling a bit nervous. I had a rush of blood to the head and decided to buy a copy of runners world to read on the train.  Was relieved to find it was (as far as I could work out) actually all about paintballing, so I didn't manage to scare myself that I'd done all my marathon prep wrong or change my plan at the last minute.  Saturday involved too much walking and FAR too much eating.  We crowded into one apartment to not drink and not watch the football, which was a pleasant but weird evening - our club rarely spends so much time together not running and not drinking!  To distract us, someone decided to put my hair up and turned me into sonic the hedgehog (seriously.  I have photographic evidence).   Went to bed feeling sober, bloated and sick, and managed about 5 hours broken sleep, before leaping up at 6am to take the half marathoners to the start line.  I understand why they set them all off at 8am and the marathon later, but it really wasn't much fun.  Waved them off to their start pens, and mooched back to the apartment to poo and be nervous by myself.  Was not a pleasant hour.   

Finally it was time to meet the other 3 doing the marathon, so out we ventured into the PISSING rain.  

it stopped 10 seconds later.  Decided I needed a wee, and can vouch for the accuracy of IM’s portaloo description.  They really were nasty.  On the start line, I managed to fend off the chatter of a nervous first-timer with polite-ish grunts – I’m not very sociable when I’m concentrating, and wanted to focus, so was running over the plan in my head.  At that point, I realized I had no plan B – it was sub-3:45 or nothing, so reminded myself that it was vital to stick to the plan.  Unfortunate, as the plan had been to run with one of my club mates, P, at the beginning, who was nowhere to be seen – he was meant to have gone to the back of the orange start pen as I had squirreled my way to the front of the pink.  Last I had heard, he was without a watch, so was a bit worried for him, but decided not to try to

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

, but decided not to try to catch him and just run my own race and he could find me if he wanted to. Finally got info from the overenthusiastic commentator that the London Road start had gone (late) and there were just 10 minutes to go, then at last we were off.  I’d planned 8:25s for the first six miles to take advantage of the downhill stretch, and the first one was spot on (I think – I failed to spot a mile marker). Pootled round Arthur’s Seat, which I mainly failed to see thanks to the fog, being really strict about sticking to the plan and the pace, don’t panic about the bottle necks….etc.  The first few miles were actually a bit of a blur – I had them sectioned off in my head as the easy bit of the race, so didn’t really pay attention to them much.  Hit the coast just before 6 miles, and loved the feel of the breeze – it wasn’t really hard going, just refreshing.  Fumbled out the first shot blok at this point and was pleased to find I wasn’t going to choke on it.  Coming away from the sea I spotted P, and decided to catch him.  We ran together for about a mile, he was going well, sticking to the pace, but eventually I just felt it was time to move on a bit – my plan to abandon 8:25s and steady up a bit to half way hadn’t really happened, I just felt too comfortable in the 8:25 groove – I can be quite metronomic on pace, and P told me to get lost, so off I went.

The section through Musselburgh was gloriously easy – must have been a little downhill, and there were loads of supporters here – spotted G from my club who’d finished the half and was waiting to cheer the rest of us on.  Jumped up and down like a maniac and waved my hand in his face to no avail.  The bloke behind me nearly wet himself laughing.  ‘I don’t think he saw you’, he said.

Next section was a little bit dull – industrial estate, Prestonpans – pretty but not exactly buzzing, then some hot and sunny road.  The enlivening point here was seeing the elites whizzing past coming the other way – had a brief exchange with someone nearby along the lines of ‘How the f** do they do that?’ ‘Practice.  Oh.  And talent.’  ‘Oh.  Right.’  We briefly speculated on what the winning time might be, but decided not to place any bets – lucky as I was about 5 minutes too optimistic – unsurprising as I had no idea how far along they were and only a reasonable guess as to how far we were – there did seem to be a lot of missing or not at all obvious mile markers.

Coming up to the turnaround I spotted LFR.  Having no idea how far away the turnaround was, I just grinned to myself, then promptly found myself tripping over the turn.  Ah, right!  Well then, catch LFR and say hi!  I caught up with her in the grounds of the house, and probably frightened the life out of her by addressing her as Ladyfunrun.  Recognition dawned and she very politely accepted my bouncy twattiness, we had a brief chat, seeing how each other was going, she high-fived me and I boinged off feeling thoroughly exhilarated by the encounter.  Was keeping an eye out for P on the next section, but must have missed him on the loop at the top.  Next bit was hot and flat.  Amused myself by looking at the colours of the numbers of people on the other side and identifying those who were a bit displaced.   My main thought at this point was that it was really all going a bit too fast and I couldn’t believe it was nearly done.  Saw S, another clubmate who was doing her first marathon along here.  Yelled at her to get up the bloody road (she has a reputation for yelling ‘get up

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

‘get up the bloody hill’ at our local parkrun).  20 miles.  Don’t be shit.  22 miles.  Aha.  There is the other clubmate, I.  Catch I.  Flew past him grinning.  24 miles.  Some loon shouting encouragement ‘You’re at the top of the hill!’  What bloody hill??  25 miles.  RAIN!  Wow, lots of rain.  Lots of supporters.  LFR’s supporters had some signs that made me grin – was unmistakeably about her.  People from club yelling like lunatics – nearly there!!  Round the corner, glance at the watch and a sprint finish – YES! Finish time of 3:40:05 – slightly annoyed about the spare 6 seconds which clearly I could have dealt with earlier, but since the real target was 3:45, I didn’t waste time dwelling on them. Halfway was in 1:50:52, so a small negative split and the most enjoyable race I have ever done.

General comments: 

1. P&D rocks
    2. Edinburgh is a lovely, lovely course
    3. Disciplined pacing pays off
    4. I love marathons – that was by far the most enjoyable race I have done, and although a totally different experience I also loved Kielder more than the shorter distances I’ve done
    5. Climbing to the top of the Scott monument the day after a marathon is foolish
    6. P&D rocks.  I started this year with a target of sub 4 and very little idea of what I was doing. 5 months later I have a solid GFA time for London, and a great training base with a boatload of enthusiasm.    

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Lit – your powers of research/investigation are second to none! image

Well done folks. I’m chuffed for you all. Don’t be too disappointed LFR – you came up trumps at Manchester, and still put in a decent this time. Good race reports too - it always amazes me how people remember their marathons – mine are pretty much a blur, even immediately afterwards.

More physio today. For whoever asked – a grade 1 hammy tear is a ‘strain/pull’ grade 2 is a proper tear, grade 3 is complete rupture (sounds grim). I’m looking forward to going in the Hyperbaric Chamber – if it’s good enough for Jacko!! image

So – we’re nearly done for another spring! Who’s up for an autumn marathon? I doubt I will be, as I want to concentrate on getting my half time down. I feel like I can’t target 3.30 marathon time until I’m somewhere near the same pace (with ease0 over half marathon). Like Ickle, I’m looking for a meaty half training schedule (This is assuming my hamstring recovers!!) Saying that, you guys are my favourite threadsters so I will be lurking on the autumn one image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

LFR, may just be joining you with the sub-3:30 in London aim... 

There, we're all done now - we can legitimately move over to the autumn thread nowimage

• Options

Good report LFR - very erm comprehensive - I had a cuppa luckily to hand.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm not coming to the autumn thread because I am a one marathon a year kind of girl. Have fun and well done everyone!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Great report Madbee...and you are right, P&D does indeed rock.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh. Is this it then?! image

Thanks for all the chat and advice all. I'll be over on the spring thread, and probably the yorkshire and paris marathon threads. 

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Great reports, LFR don't be to hard on yourself a sub 4 on the back of an injury is still very impressive

IM, loved the report and an impressive poo count for the dayimage

Madbee, congratulations an awesome achievement enjoy London next spring image

I also can't believe everyone got through their campaigns and marathons a truely amazing stat, well done all image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone in the thread. It's been a memorable experience.

The support has been great and I will remember some useful tips and great banter, especially taking the piss out of Wenty! image 

Good luck with your running from here forward xx

• Options
    Mennania wrote (see)

LFR - great report. will hold you to the 3:30 now its in black and white...

Gulp!  image

The Running Tortoise wrote (see)

Good report LFR - very erm comprehensive - I had a cuppa luckily to hand.

You meant Madbee you plonker! 

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Great report madbee! Those toilets must have been rank image

I'm not overstating things when I say that I wouldn't have raced as well this year so far without the advice and encouragement of the folks on this thread. The endless supply of banter and accumulated 'wisdom' wasn't too bad either image

Wenty has already been put on FSA (Full Sandbag Alert) over on the autumn thread (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/pandd-autumn-marathon-training-thread-2014/276374-3.html) after a rather soft offering of 3:25 for Venice.

Good luck to all in this year's coming races, it's been a hell of a ride image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

i thought he casually jogged around barcelona faster than that??

• Options

Madbee goes all out with the final race report, and comes up aces.

Wenty is getting no recognition for his Blackadder quote.  Don't worry, mate, I spotted it!

Been a great thread, I wish I'd joined earlier, rather than 3 weeks out when I was looking for ways to fill the taper.  

I'm not going to be able to fit in another marathon for the foreseeable, as am moving overseas to a country and a job extremely ill-suited to marathon training (country because of the tropical climate, job because it is extremely busy).  Maybe focus on 10k for a bit, plus the odd 1/2.  And only 3 years to go before London GFA becomes really easy!

"Hard feet, soft stones", as they say in S E Asia.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sorry, I assumed everyone got the blackadder quote. Im with you wenty old pal!!

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Blackadder quote and explanation please...

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Ah. Sorry, I didn't get the black adder thing at all. I need to fill this gap in my education.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow - 3 entertaining as well as excellent reports image   and we are back on the topic of poo-ing and wee-ing image

Huge well dones, guy and gals. LFR, you are definitely too hard on yourself. Going twice sub 4 is a really good achievement.

I need to get to the bottom of my shitness and massive decline in pace before I think about future races. I suspect it's a hormonal thing. Either that or I may be dying of some unpronouncable disease. Got a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks to find out more image

• Options
    andrews148 wrote (see)

The support has been great and I will remember some useful tips and great banter, especially taking the piss out of Wenty! image 

Glad to have been of service Andrews - good meeting you in London. see on on the other thread.

Same here Thanks everyone, as i have learnt alot as i did not even know what strides or threshold and LT runs were before this thread started.

FSA image ouch Fergy that hurt especially after I revised it down from 3:30, Yes DT Barcelona, was my peak and should really have gone for a good time then.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Oh, and in a flash it was over.

Great report Madbee which matched a great runimage

Thanks guys and gals, its been a blast...

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Wenty, I'm not giving up on your sub 3 aspirations, despite what you say image

chickadee, I laughed when I read these two sentences in close succession:

"you are definitely too hard on yourself...."

and 

"I need to get to the bottom of my shitness"