P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Ramjet - don't worry, I know you are an exemplary P&Der. I meant last year's spring marathon thread. There was a (completely unfounded) rumour that I skipped that session.

• Lit - I did it tooimage Although I had adjusted MP to take account of the the fact it was 25 degrees in Los Cristianos. image

• Hi Fiona - did you complete the P&D half-marathon training plan over the summer? 

I was going well on the 10K plan, but got hit by a mega-virus (I landed up in hospital on a drip) and then a fractured toe that put me out of action before my A race image. I PB'd 5K and a 10K during the plan, but not by as much as I was aiming for at the end. There's always next year image

• 18 with 14@MP oh the memories image, I used a HM for that session and paced a fellow joggie, I will do the same again this time round.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I really struggled with those MP runs over the summer...probably a combination of the heat and my MP getting quicker and relatively closer to my LT. That's my excuse anyway.

Hello Ten BTW.

• Afternoon all, I started reading the book on Wednesday with the intention of using it to train for Manchester in April, I'm hoping to get a good for age time image

Am in the process of building my base mileage up ready to start following the 18 week, up to 55 miles program.

Tend to be pretty busy with work and training, so will probably only pop my head in here every now and then, but looking forward to seeing how we all get on, and having somewhere I can come and ask daft questions image

• Afternoon..

Ramjet..sorry love BUT you didnt do the session properly ! where in the schedule did it say 14 @ SUB marathon pace  ? we are very very strict you know image any sessiojn not done properly doesnt count and you will have myself and Lit to explain yourself to 

Ten, no still using the first bible....the tempo runs start a few weeks  later ! method in my madness

Stewart C !!! woo hoo image 

• Pleased it'll not be just me asking daft questions! 

• Ten - haven't run a step since June. Awaiting MRI which I've just heats is on Wednesday. Bummer about your A race. I'm thinking about a duathlon in april

• Fiona, I tell you multi-event sports are the way forward image. My thinking is that when I get injured I will still be able to do one of the other disciplines!

I have a 10k race on Sunday when I entered this race back in the Spring I was hoping to break the 45 min mark, after only being back running a few weeks and having done only 1 (pretty pathetic) tempo run I am hoping that I will be around the 48 min mark. Then back to base training for a few weeks before P&Ding starts proper.

• Hi all!

I have just been working out the dates for running the Milton Keynes marathon using the 18/55 plan.  The good news is that as it is a May marathon then at least I can get Christmas over and done with before I start!

• That sucks Fiona image. Good luck with the MRI.

• 15 - Thanks for getting this going.  I see I'm late onto the thread, not for the first time.

It's great to see some familiar names from the Autumn P&D thread, and some new names too!

Tiny - After your great start, it would in my respectful opinion, be a shame not to follow up in Spring 2014.

In case anyone's interested, I'm in for London 2014.  In fact I'll probably do P&D 18 week up to 55 miles, upping the number of 20 mile runs, as mentioned earlier in the thread.  That said, I've entered a flat half two weeks before London and will aim to cut my PB for a half, since I think I can do that, but I'm not sure I can beat my marathon PB, set last month at Chester.

In the meantime I'm doing some local cross-county races.  Anyone else do XC?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sgb- which half you doing? I am debating my on going xc. I did one last Saturday and even last night I did a ten miler and found my lower legs very tight. Felt like my left heel/soleous was going to pop. Therefore debating if its a good idea come new year. 

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

i'll try to follow this too as it was useful to lurk on during the Autumn. Things I have learnt.  I (and therefore you) are running your easy runs too hard.  Not sure which marathon as i'm hoping for a London place but we'll see.  

• DT - Thanks.  I'll be doing Paddock Wood (Kent) half marathon, which is easy which is easy for me to get to.  I find cross-country hard but good; clearly if you think it's taking you too close to injury then you'll probably not want to do it.  Maybe try a bit less hard?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

For xc it is a full afternoon pass out. If I am not going to race it then I think running and family wise my time is better spent with an all out parkrun with a few extra miles. I think I am going to make my last one early Jan before the serious business here kicks in. 

• DT - I agree that one drawback of cross-county is that the time away from home is high for the amount of running done.  In my area XC is usually on a Saturday afternoon.  As always with running it's down to personal choice depending on one's own circumstances.  I wasn't fit enough for XC in the last two winters, due to injury; this winter I'm giving it a try. 

I agree parkrun plus extra recovery miles sounds good and I think will suit a lot of us.  The first local (to me) parkrun started last week.  I ran it, but am not this week, as I've got Brooks Brighton 10K tomorrow.

The parkrun is 6 miles away, but handy by train, so I think it will probably change my Saturday routine at least once a month.

How often do you run your local parkrun?

• SBG, I have probably been managing a park run once a month, but will probably be increasing that. It's about a 4mile run there and I often cobine it with a run to/from or both, depending on the plan for the day.

• I used to hate cross country but quite enjoy it now, also have a handy parkrun that is two miles from home so can run 7 miles on a Saturday morning with out any planning.
  • I interrupt this marathon training thread with an important announcement.......

MY FOOT IS BETTER!!!!!!!!

So, so happy to be running pain-free again.  Fitness is definitely coming back - supported by a cracking parkrun PB this morning.  Happy days image

Sorry, as you were.

• Tiny - brilliant that your foot is better.

I also had a cracking park run PB this morning. Finished in 21.47, which beat my previous PB (which I set 6 weeks ago) by 1min46s. So really really really chuffed! I never thought I'd be able to run under 22mins for 5k. SBG - I think I'll also plan one park run a month.

It's a day of firsts for me as it is also the first time I've run 1000miles in a year. Just got past that milestone for 2013! Whoooop!

Off to relax now! 

• Hmmm... Is it something I said?

Ok, daft question number 1. Does it matter if I change my long run day from Sunday to Saturday? It fits in better with me to run on Saturday mornings (kids at dance classes etc.), but I notice that later in the plan some tune up races are scheduled for the Saturday. Is this so that you are running on tired legs on the Sunday or does it not matter that much? Hope it's not to daft of a daft question! 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I've never been a cross country person. After years of fell league from Jan - Sept, I like to take a break from the mud between Sept - Dec. And too many kids at our local XC for my likingimage 

Good news, Tiny! I wish the healing fairies would visit me cos I've got a fecking groin strain/gammy leg and I've been unable to do anything for over a week. A week's not long, I know, but I'm itching to do something. I can't even swim cos someone set fire to my gym (no, really) so it's closed. 

North Runner, I did most of my long runs on a Saturday. This is because I like a tipple and it meant I could have a few on a Saturday night, knowing the long run was done. I think most of us re-jigged the sessions one way or another. Well down on the park run PB and your mileage milestone image

• Thanks Shazmo. That's reassuring to know. Hope the injury heals soon and enjoy your "tipple" in the meanwhile! 

• North Runner - I do all my long runs on a saturday - in fact, the entire schedule is moved forward a day so I *gasp* start on a Monday.  Living on the edge....

• Tiny - Great news about your foot.  I'm not sure I'd be racing so soon after a hard marathon, but obviously it's fine for you!

Rachelcgen/ North Runner - Thanks.  I'll probably aim for once a month once the cross-country season is over.

North Runner - I was interested you'd run more than 1,000 miles this year.  Well done!  Does the Garmin website tell you without actually having to add the miles up yourself.

There's nothing wrong in my opinion with long runs on a Saturday.  I usually do them on a Sunday as it fits in better with other things.  Also, in our area at least, long runs often involve running on roads, which tend to be quieter on a Sunday.  P&D are of course from the USA and I guess they have more races on Saturdays than in the UK.

Shazmo - Sorry to hear the bad news about injury and swimming pool.

• Well first race since coming back from injury for me this morning at Brighton Brooks 10k. No PB But very happy to report that I ran it in 47.01. This means that my comeback to running and racing wasn't as horrific as I was expectingimage

I may also change my lsr to Saturday's this time round, that way I can still get out on the Sunday for a 30-40 mile cycle ride (active recovery). Although I am quite liking shazmo's reasons for running on a Saturday!!
  • Lisa - Well done coming back from injury, quite close to a PB I think?  

I was at the Brooks Brighton 10K too.  The conditions were certainly ideal, with no wind or rain.