P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15W - are you training for sub 2:45?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ok- I am more persuaded by a 20 miler. On the SCH I have done myself the 14 mile at mp is in at 16 march which is same day as the 20 miler. Will cancel The half pencilled in for 9th and do a fast 10k course I have been fancying.

Lit- well done on pb. Just need to sort that 5k out to obtain your adequate runner timage

• DT - I did a parkrun last week and I was still shit! No t-shirt for me. image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

What.!! So a 1.27 hm and not a sub 20 5k. That's quite bizarre. 

• haha, yes, and a sub 40 10k. image

• Well done Lit

You ''Chicked'' me yesterday in Gosport as i was over a min behind you there!

• Ooh, sorry Debutant! At least you can do a sub-20min 5k though so you get DT's mark of approval for running adequacy. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Lit. On for a sub 3 in April?!?

Ryan - 2.45 would be nice...but we'll see. Currently just thinking sub 2.49.

• Off 1:27:50? I think that would be beyond even my McMillanesque powers of conversion, 15W.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes but lit you have five months training to go yet! If you got a sub 3 marathon you would then have to concentrate solely on 5k until you attained an acceptable time. 

• Brilliant time Lit!! Well done on another PB imageimageimage

• Lit -  That's a bit mad you haven't gone sub 20

Is the parkrun you are doing very hilly?

my times are 19:24, 41:50 (haven't done too many 10ks) 1:27 and 3:08

I think you running a HM PB 5 months before your marathon is adequate enough! sub 20 this Saturday for you?

• 15W - I'm kind of in the same boat - all my shorter race times are pointing to sub 2:45 but I'm not willing to commit to it until closer to race day.

Lit - for ages, the fastest I had run 5k was the second half of a 10k!! Even now my 10k is 35:42 and 5k is 17:48.

I think it may be to do with not warming up properly - either that or just being rubbish at short distances image

• Ah, I'm rubbish at pacing too, Ryan, so my fastest 5k is the first half of a 10k. I should admit though that I have never trained for or properly raced 5k and have only done parkrun twice. First one was two weeks before vlm with a hangover (and two large hills) and second one was last week, when I still wasn't sure if I was ready for Gosport, so running 5k slower than 10k pace was not a particular confidence boost!

Debutant, I know all your times, you told me your real name and gave me permission to stalk, remember? image

And thanks Tiny! I've just read your blog and am in awe of your even splits.

• Hello, hope you don't mind me jumping on the thread!

I've just ordered the P&D book. I'm hoping it will help me towards my goal for a sub 3hr at VLM14.

• Lit - ah so you were stalking me at Gosport too?!

Welcome aboard Freddy, Have you come close to sub 3 before?

• Erm... no, sorry, I forgot you were going to be there in all the excitement. Pity as I could have looked out for you and did manage to meet some other forumites. Will go and stalk your race photos now though.

• I'm reading this and trying to remind myself you all started somewhere! Because if I don't then you're all too fast for me;-)  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Freddy and welcome.

Rachel - we'll have you running under 7min/mi's by March.

Such a nice day for running today. Tomorrow won't be so nice I don't think.

• Indeed Rachelcgen, I try not to get disheartened when some of the paces quoted for easy runs are faster than my mile repeat pace, I supose the good thing about running is you're really only competing with yourself and those that are at your own level.

• All paces are welcome here, it's only DT19 who has spurious 'adequacy' standards that I fail to meet! image

Actually though that was one of the things I really liked about the P&D thread last year - everyone was working equally hard because we were all doing the same (or similar) things but at our own paces. Rather than a thread for a specific marathon where some people would be training 6 days a week and others could just breeze round on a few extra long runs in a quicker time.

• Hi Debutant! My first marathon was this years VLM 3:16, and I became a committed 'runner' in Jan. I was playing rugby before.

So I'm hoping to continue improving - sub 3 is definitely a stretch, but hopefully with enough commitment it will be OK.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes everyones pace is welcome here except lits 5k paceimage

Decided to try and lay some demons to rest re running at mp pace this morning so did 16 miles with 5 at mp. Two errors made though-

1. I did it in middle and remaining six miles were murder.

2. I couldn't seem to hit mp. They all came in about 6.57 so 6 ish secs fast. I kept finding myself settling in at hmp so more tireing than needed to be. 

• macemace ✭✭✭

First marathon in 3:16 you say, Freddy ?

SNAP !!

• I think we need to compare the respective numbers of seconds now. image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well you know mine and surely you've stalked Freddy by now image

• Freddy - Welcome, pretty fast for a first marathon!

DT - I think this thread is for SPRING marathons.  Mow many miles a week are you doing?  Personally I think making the MP miles in the middle is a good idea, but then I'm not really up to 16 mile runs just at the moment.

Lit - I agree with your comments about the Autumn thread.

Rachelcgen - If 15 says it, it must be so!  Seriously though, we have quite a wide range of abilities here.  Have you read the bit in the up to 55 miles chapter in P&D where they something like "if you're doing this level of mileage you're probably a mid-pack runner"? I suspect that most people who do P&D up to 55 miles will find themselves a bit better than that.

• A significant amount of seconds! image

Mace have you managed to progress a lot since you set your first time? I plateaued a bit over the summer, but joined a club and I've manged a 10K PB in the last couple of weeks, so hopefully things are moving in the right direction!

My book is yet to arrive, is it a case of build your own plan from it, or are there set ones?

Cheers

• Got in late last night, thought I'd read a quick chapter of P&D.. 2 hours later is was gone 1am and I was still reading. At 6am when my alarm went off to go for a run I slept straight through it. Bollocks.

Good Job the plan starts next week..

• thanks everyone, having seen how I've improved this year (from 0 to a half), i know that it's just putting in the work in the right places. And the fact that everyone will be working to the same plan(s) is good, the effort will be the same even if the final speed is different!

A question about speed though. Looking at the plan (and I'm currently doing some of the early weeks in a marathon plan from P&D Road Racing) it gives instructions to run at HMP, 10k pace for certain periods etc.  I have chosen somewhere between my current pace and my target pace, with the assumption that as I get better, the paces move towards the target pace. Is that what others do?