Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

busbar - Thanks to you too.  Finchley 20 has quite some history!  It's amazing there's nothing near to Kent on that weekend.  Ideally I'd run one 6 weeks before London, but I can't make that day.

• Options

15W - I've never run it before but i think it follows some of the same route as the Liversedge Half. So it will be hilly! I had a choice between the Spen 20 or the East Hull 20 (I live between the two), but opted for the latter because it's flat. I'm a fan of the easy life and marathon pace miles sound much more appealing on the flat!

Saying that, I am doing the Livesedge half in Feb! 

• Options

Can I ask a numpty question please?!

Pretty soon into the schedule I have to run a 13k with 10 x 100m strides.  Should I space the strides evenly throughout the 13k, or is the rest between the strides more proscriptive?

Cheers

• Options

I always do strides right at the end and recovery is simply however long it takes for breathing to return to normalish levels

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I do them at end, though others will say to do them early on when fresh so form is good etc.

Does anyone know if there is a charity of any sort that has a particular interest in used running shoes. I wore a pair of gt2000s tonight that are clearly done but still look relatively new. It seems a shame to bin them and there's only so many gym and casuasl trainers I need. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I do them towards the end. Sprint approx 100m, jog approx 100m.

DT19 - find a shoe bank..most bigger supermarkets or tips etc have them.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

15W - Isle of Man has a 20mile race some time in March...that's not too far, right? image (Doing my bit for IoM tourism)

I'm a right sad tw4t, but I'm counting the days til my 18/55 commences (9 Dec) cos I miss not having a programme to follow...however, I'm still nursing a stupid groin strain that has now morphed into a whole leg strain! Got sports massage on Tuesday and praying that'll loosen it up a bit.

Xyloid, I usually do my strides (when I actually bother to do them at all) in the middle or towards the end of GA/easy run and do the whole batch together with a short jog/walk recovery inbetween each 100m

Stick around people - Tiny is right, we have the best thread imageimage

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am ready to start monday, im on page 125 of the book so will finish that by Sunday.

Typically, week 1 (having had weeks and weeks of unhindered training) and its my wifes birthday saturday so i lose all of next weekend, so getting it all in Monday-Friday.

I too have a full on sports massage tomorrow am just to undo any knots before i kick off!

• Options

Shazmo - Sorry to hear about the leg injury.  Have you tried a foam roller?

The Isle of Man is a bit further than I'd envisaged(!) but thanks for the suggestion.  I couldn't find any reference to it on Google, which is probably just me being useless.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Isle of man? Where the hell is that?

Having the weekend off running as off to the big smoke to mix it up with the glitterati of London high society.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SGB- When you say 'I couldnt find any reference to it on google', are you referring to the IOM or the race? Both are feasibleimage

• Options

15W welcome to London. When you find the glitterati, please let me know. I always seem to miss them, not too many running along thames path or in Southwark! image

• Options

DT19 are you running Brighton? Anyone else running VLM?

Shazmo a foam roller is a great investment, I'd also suggest a cricket ball for glutes etc.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just wondering how you would use a foam roller for a groin strain?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

im at VLM.

I use foam roller for quads/outer thigh and find it very effective by the time I have woken the next day.

I keep a decent tennis ball for back and glutes. For groins All i do is apply heat.

• Options

I am doing VLM too.

Re. foam rolling, it depends what is causing the groin pain. Last time I had what felt like groin strain it was actually due to tight glutes (again), so a spiky massage ball and some hardcore glute stretches fixed it.

• Options

Great - have you all booked your tune up races already - any advice on the best half marathon (my preference would be a well organised but low key event).

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I thought everone in the North West of a certain age had been to the Isle of Man at some time in their lives!

I'm doign VLM too (followed by Boston 8 days later).

I think you could have a point there Lit, cos my groin pain has migrated to various other parts of my leg and something doesn't feel right in my buttock...I had been wondering if it was all connected. I've got a foam roller so I will 'mount' it a la Freddy's link image

• Options

Freddy - I'm in for the London Marathon.  I think it's called the "Virgin Money London Marathon" this year.  I've not booked up my tune-up races yet, except for the Paddock Wood half-marathon which is quite big (approximately 2,000 runners from memory) but is flat and is two weeks before VMLM.  I know it's too close to race, but I plan to anyway.

I also plan to enter as many as I can of the Kent Grand Prix races in 2014.  The chosen races haven't yet been announced, so my plans are uncertain.

Where do you live?  I've done a few races in Kent, but not many elsewhere.

• Options

The Silverstone half always seems a popular choice.  I have not run it myself so can't give direct feedback, but the Asics 262 team used it last year as a warm up race before Paris.

• Options

I did the Tunbridge Wells half last year, which was bonkers as it has a massive, huge giant-sized hill in the middle. Otherwise a nice race though.

• Options

Think I'll do Silverstone.- if I haven't completely given up running by then.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I should be getting a club place for the VLM.

I think I will be sensible and do it as my target marathon rather than a training run for a later marathon. That way I get to join in all the moaning about MP runsimage

I just hope my motivation to get outside at 6am improves once the schedule starts!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I am doing Stockport 10 in a few weeks and Helsby half in Jan. After that not sure, but was thinking of Oulton park half in Cheshire in Feb which is a new one I think and is run on a race track. Then maybe another race in March..not sure what or when though.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am stil dubious about a 20 miler as a training race. I have already, purely on an out of interest basis, been on PO10 to see what time is needed for a ranking place and what that equates to in M/M pace.

Not sure i can trust myself!

• Options

I definitely cannot not trust myself to run at training pace. In other years I have done warm up races but this year I am not going to race till the London Marathon.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I know - but I also struggle with the long runs with MP sections - and I think doing that session in a 20mi race would be a bit easier...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well i dont think any of the races I have identified fill up so think i will get a few MP runs in and see how they go, and if i can do them without needing a 20 mile race I will stick with a half and a 10k.